Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2015-10-05 13:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Darvamos said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Uhhhhh...
4% > 1%?

Granted that the 1% is a full MP retainment and not partial like Cmp, which is cool.
Man some first grade math right there.

Anyway if my 5AM math is correct I have 4% Conserve MP giving on average 1.125%

Your math is right for your assumptions, but it's wrong when you look at the bigger picture because you would be switching your items around to account for the extra 15 skill. The extra bonus just makes it more worthwhile.

If you are really 15 over with Incantor, then you have a few options:

1) Switch in Azimuth Gaiters if you were having trouble using them before. This would also give you access to the set bonus. I'm not sure if the set's proc rate per piece has been tested and/or if it stacks additively or multiplicatively with other MP-negation items. Ideally it would be added to it but I kind of doubt that's the case. Assuming they are separate probabilities, this would still make the switch superior at even a 1% proc rate.

2) If you were already using Azimuth Gaiters, then you could switch in yet another piece of AF3 (either hands or body).

3) You could also say screw the unknowns about the set bonus and equip more Conserve MP in a freed-up slot. There are a few pieces with Conserve MP in another skill slot that you might have on-hand without going out of your way.
[+]
 Asura.Darvamos
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Darvamos 2015-10-05 18:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, I was just giving it for the slot. I personally would be using the skill neck that is 15 more skill if one slot and atm that is a huge amount for one slot + it has that Mp save which is a bonus too. I knew about the bigger picture but thanks for bringing that up and letting others know about it.
 Asura.Extract
user: deezydabs
By Asura.Extract 2015-10-08 21:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

New to GEO have a few questions. I leveled GEO to get my delve clears and maybe join a couple shouts but, I haven't really played it much been getting some gear and just finished skilling up/getting spells and don't want to join a group looking completely stupid lol. What JA's do GEO usually use together? What bubbles do they typically use? Do they usually magic burst with other mages if you're doing the whole SCH+BLM setup? Sorry for my ignorance..
By Chimerawizard 2015-10-08 22:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Extract said: »
New to GEO have a few questions. I leveled GEO to get my delve clears and maybe join a couple shouts but, I haven't really played it much been getting some gear and just finished skilling up/getting spells and don't want to join a group looking completely stupid lol. What JA's do GEO usually use together? What bubbles do they typically use? Do they usually magic burst with other mages if you're doing the whole SCH+BLM setup? Sorry for my ignorance..
A geo will generally use Blaze of Glory + Dematerialize + Lasting emanation.
Lasting only when the luopan isn't just going to die shortly after dematerialize wears to AoE.
Otherwise save it for an Ecliptic'd bubble when the BoG one dies.

DD bubbles: haste, (Atk)fury/frailty, (Acc)Precision/Torpor
Nuke bubbles: refresh, (MAB)Acumen/Malaise, (M.Acc)Focus/Languor
DEF bubbles: barrier/wilt
M.Eva bubbles: Attunement/Vex

Since m.eva bubbles generally grant near immunity to status effects as well as decrease the damage players take, they are normally used over Fend/Fade (MDB).

For potencies: Enhancing Bubbles and Enfeebling Bubbles.

For a Magic Burst setup. It is fine to burst so long as it won't interfere with reapplying bubbles. Seidr body can help with that if you start to run into issues. In the really high level content like the new Kirin, it may be better to just stand around with the bubbles up because the BLM is less likely to get major resists.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-09 02:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
A geo will generally use Blaze of Glory + Dematerialize + Lasting emanation.
Lasting only when the luopan isn't just going to die shortly after dematerialize wears to AoE.
Otherwise save it for an Ecliptic'd bubble when the BoG one dies.
Well... it depends.
Just my two cents of course.
I found myself pretty often using Ecliptic Attrition and Blaze of Glory together (note to Extract: yes, they do stack together. No, they don't stack with Bolster).

Allow me to describe some different situations:
  • Fights are fast, spamming one after another
    In fights like this, you will pop a second time before 10 mins have passed. In such situations I don't use Lasting Emanation and alternate Blaze of Glory and Ecliptic Attrition.
    Fight 1: BoG, Fight2, Ecliptic, Fight3: Blaze is probably back up, rinse and repeat.

• Fights are fast, high AoE damage
    In fights like this, once Dematerialize is over, your Luopan will die very very fast. In such situations Lasting Emanation is wasted because your luopan will basically die soon after Dematerialize is over.
    In such situations I use Blaze of Glory, Dematerialize, Ecliptic Attrition, Life Cycle.
    I warn the others so that they can sync their cooldowns and maximize the power of this combination. It's basically a mini-bolster for as long as Dematerialize lasts, and a bit more after that.

• Fights are long enough, low AoE damage
    In such fights where the mob last long enough to justify its use, I pair together Blaze of Glory and Lasting Emanation. Luopan will last enough (especially if paired with Life Cycle) for Ecliptic Attrition to be up again by the time the luopan dies. At which point I'm gonna use it for a second bubble

Extract keep in mind that Blaze of Glory has to be used BEFORE you summon the Luopan.
Ecliptic Attrition and Lasting Emanation have to be used AFTER you summoned the Luopan.

Extract some other data you might not know about Geomancer and bubbles:
  1. Geomancy Skill and Handbell skill, summed together, create a number that is used to estabilish the potency of your bubbles. There are "tiers" and the last tier is reached at 900 combined skill. You should do your best to get as close as possible to this number. Skill gear has to be worn midcast.

2. Geomancy+ stat (found on Dunna and Idris) is different from skill, and offers a straight and noticeable increse to the power of bubbles. Has to be worn midcast as well. Please note that this bonus applies to all bubbles (Indi- and Geo-) but it does NOT apply to bubbles you cast on others through Entrust (the skill+ will instead, and so will the gear that gives indi duration bonus)

3. Given the previous point, all entrusted bubbles are much less powerful than the normal bubbles. This makes Indi-Haste a perfect candidate for Entrust. Why? Simply because full power Indi Haste is more powerful than necessary. It doesn't offer enough magic haste for it to cap magic haste alone, but it offers more than you'd need to cap magic haste in combination with Haste1 spell. Entrusted Indi-Haste + Haste1 spell ==> still manages to reach the Magic haste cap. For these reasons, Indi-Haste is the bubble that offers the least loss of efficiency compared to the other bubbles.

At this point you might wonder It's cool etc, but I can't keep it up all of the time due to the 10 mins recast on Entrust! So what use is it for me to do things like this?. Fair point, but there are some other things to consider.
  • If there are 2 Geomancers in party (or even in alliance, if you want to swap parties and swap bubbles, each of you using their own Entrust timers) you can alternate who's using entrust. With 2 GEOs in party you can basically keep up an entrusted bubble 100% of the time.

• If there's a BLU in that party, you can alternate Diffusion Mighty Guard and Entrust Indi-Haste. Mighty Guard offers "only" 15% magic haste, but it's an acceptable compromise in some setups.

• You can rotate your bubbles. Use normally Bubble1 + Indi-haste, when Entrust is up use it for Indi-haste and use Bubble2 for the time entrust lasts.

Extract, since we're on the same server, if you have any further question feel free to contact me in game and I'll be glad to share what little GEO knowledge I have with you.
[+]
By HitomeNaoki 2015-10-28 11:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you so much, Sechs! That was incredibly helpful.

I do have a question: how do you handle Morimar in SR? Do you save dematerialize for him specifically? He just continually wrecks my bubble over and over again. Feels like a waste summoning it. Then there are certain groups that want me to sit in melee range of him and I end up dead that way even with PDT set on.

Also, what SJ do you all tend to use in SR?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-28 11:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How to handle Morimar, heh.
First I basically make sure Vex is always up basically on all fights. If we have multiple GEOs we just decide who's on Vex.
It helps more than you can imagine not just against magic damage, but against dispels, debuffs, TP moves that apply debuffs and so on.

Morimar really wrecks the Luopan, if you can position behind him it will survive a bit more (some of his moves are conic, some are AoE sadly).
Using Dematerialize is a good idea I guess.
Regardless, Morimar should go down pretty quick unless your group is having issues.
I normally make sure to have people use Bio2 on him instead of Dia and entrust Wilt.

I tipically keep entrust for Wave2.
If it's Teodor/Rosulatia I entrust Attunement. If it's Morimar Wilt.
According to your group (how strong/weak it is) you might want a full Attunement on Rosulatia instead of a, weaker, entrusted one.

As for subjob, if I'm going ddGEO I go /DNC. If I'm going just normal geo /RDM and try to land Distract/Frazzle and various other ***.
Which is very easy for Wave1, somewhat possible for wave2 and really hard for wave3.
I mean... in a melee setup where you're not getting Focus and Languor, of course.
 Carbuncle.Skudo
Server: Carbuncle
user: SKudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2015-10-28 11:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

HitomeNaoki said: »
Also, what SJ do you all tend to use in SR?

/BLM. Stunning everything that sucks is worth "losing" the 2nd DD bubble for our setup. Having Indi-Focus up also helps your WHM with landing debuffs to cripple your enemies even more. I have to re-deploy bubbles maybe 1-2 times per fight and one is required, because we fight T1+T2 in the centre and T3 at the edge of the arena.

Aside: I personally don't believe in Vex+Attunement or Wilt for SR, but that's obvious, because everything is stunned, anyway.
 Sylph.Braden
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2015-10-28 13:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from Yumcax and Hurkan, is there anyone who can't be stunned in there?
 Carbuncle.Skudo
Server: Carbuncle
user: SKudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2015-10-28 18:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Braden said: »
Aside from Yumcax and Hurkan, is there anyone who can't be stunned in there?

Everything except for those two can be stunned with Focus up. Arciela's Naakual's Vengeance can be stunned, too, so you don't even have to deal with those, either.
 Shiva.Santosh
Server: Shiva
user: santosh
By Shiva.Santosh 2015-10-31 16:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

idk if this has been posted but a great way to skill up geo skills is to cast geo-poison and do full circle to release over and over. i dont script so heres the fastest macro i could come up with.

/ma "Geo-Poison" <t> <wait5>
/ja "Full Circle" <me> <wait5>
kind of obvious but it was a pain no less to figure the wait out

you have to cast geo-poison on an enemy so i keep indi refresh up while my trusts provide mages ballad and refresh II. i fight the urganites in ceizak battlegrounds
By Chimerawizard 2015-10-31 16:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Santosh said: »
I fight the urganites in ceizak battlegrounds
I suggest trying out the lair reives in zone. You can stand 20' away from it and just spam that macro. don't need trusts (except moogle for skillup rate+).

If you find every once in a blue moon full circle recast isn't ready due to some random lag, just add an extra second to the first line's wait.
First 150~ levels it may even be faster to just spam 3 indi spells because skillup rate even on buffs isn't bad at all at those low levels.
[+]
 Shiva.Santosh
Server: Shiva
user: santosh
By Shiva.Santosh 2015-11-01 01:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

good point. i found it was pretty to easy to skill up while i leveled. i got to 150 and hit a wall and started trying whatever i could.

D: i wish i had moogle. maybe with my red mog pell but i know as soon as i do that he'll show up next month. i want star sybl, i dont picture her being very common in trust campaigns
By Felgarr 2015-11-05 18:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a middle ground for Geo skill sets? Some of the gear presented is difficult to obtain for starting out as GEO.

The gear presented here is GREAT to aim for ...but I'm just starting out. Can someone provide some recommendations for middle-ground or starting out as GEO?

Thank you!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-11-05 19:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
Is there a middle ground for Geo skill sets? Some of the gear presented is difficult to obtain for starting out as GEO.

The gear presented here is GREAT to aim for ...but I'm just starting out. Can someone provide some recommendations for middle-ground or starting out as GEO?

Thank you!
Afterglow Idris or gtfo.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-06 01:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »
Aside: I personally don't believe in Vex+Attunement or Wilt for SR, but that's obvious, because everything is stunned, anyway.
Vex is greatly underestimated.
It doesn't work on TP moves only, but on autoattacks etc.
Moves that absorb your TP, that stun you, terror, amnesia you, all that stuff.
Vex helps a lot resisting all those things (or making them last noticeably less) to a point that our runs are tipically much faster than without.

Just my 2 cents of course.
Never tried going /BLM and stunning though. I assume it lands well on Wave1, but Wave2 and Wave3?
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-06 02:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »
Vex is greatly underestimated.
It doesn't work on TP moves only, but on autoattacks etc.
Moves that absorb your TP, that stun you, terror, amnesia you, all that stuff.
Vex helps a lot resisting all those things (or making them last noticeably less) to a point that our runs are tipically much faster than without.

Just my 2 cents of course.
Never tried going /BLM and stunning though. I assume it lands well on Wave1, but Wave2 and Wave3?

If the GEO has Idris then they only need indi-vex and use their other bubble for frailty, makes everything melt. If no Idris then typically Vex + Attunment on all except Teodor, Morimar and August. Those 3 only have annoying status debuffs on ST or conal moves, which the tank eats. If no tank, then Vex + Attunment on everything cause dispel, terror, and amnesia are all huge DPS killers.

Which goes into something else, those three debuffs can cause your damage output to grind to a halt which completely defeats the purpose of using damage-enhancing effects. Blocking those three debuffs turns into the best damage enhancement possible.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-06 03:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Idris Vex is OP <3
As I've said in the past, I typically do SR with 2 GEOs, and we just take turns in using Entrust.
Vex is always up on all 3 waves, and Entrust gets normally used on wave2.

Allow me to share a very typical example.
Geo1 is assigned to Vex + Frailty
Geo2 is assigned to Torpor+Precision

Wave1: Any
Geo1 uses Vex+Frailty
Geo2 uses Torpor+Fury because we don't really need Precision on wave1

Wave2: Rosulatia
Geo1 uses Vex+Frailty, entrusts Attunement (alternatively you can entrust Frailty and use Vex+Attunement if you really feel you're gonna need that additional potency...)
Geo2 uses Torpor+Precision

Wave2: Morimar
Geo1 uses Vex+Frailty, entrusts Wilt (or, like above, can swap Frailty/Wilt around. With a good pt Morimar dies so fast you don't really need Wilt, but on other Pugs using it and pairing it with Bio2 instead of Dia can make the difference between wipe and success)

Wave3: Any
Geo1 uses Vex+Frailty
Geo2 uses Torpor+Precision

Alternatively you can use entrust for Indihaste, supposing you need that to cap haste, kinda depends on party setup and if there's a BRD or not I guess.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-06 03:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Another very important thing that many PUG Geos do not seem to know.
Unlike zones like Incursion or Vagary, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, Sinister Reign doesn't have "zone hate".
Which means that if the GEOs are using debuff bubbles, they need to get into the target's enmity list (and wait ~2 seconds :P) for the effect to apply to the target.

Getting into the target's enmity list = performing a direct action on it, or performing an action on someone who's in the list (hasting the tank, healing the tank, etc). I think both paths work to ensure that the debuff bubble is applied on the target.
Standing there and receiving damage from the target's AoE... not sure if that works to get into the target's enmity list.
Regardless, make sure the GEO in your pt knows about this because more often than not I've met GEOs who did not know that >.>''
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-06 03:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes GEO's need to be on the hate list, usually this is accomplished by assigning them Distract / Dia / Frazzle duty.

People actually need Precision / Torpor in there? I can cap out accuracy with Bream + Hunters. If I go with my core group then we steam roll in 5 min with 60~90s being used for zoning + buffs at start. If I'm forced to acquire another PUG DPS or GEO then that time goes up. I've tried without a PLD or RUN and it just didn't go nearly as smoothly, they eat so much of the nasty stuff that it makes the run a joke.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-06 03:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
People actually need Precision / Torpor in there?
Depends, I guess.
Are 2x GEOs your only buffers? Do you have a BRD too? Or a COR?
Which kind of DDs are we talking about, DNC or BLU? (they get a lot of acc) or other DDs?
Do they have a decent accuracy set? Are they using sushi?

Many of these questions do not matter when you go with friends, but when you go with PUGs... well, it's kinda different :p
Sometimes it happened to me that we invited a noob friend or a pug DD, and we just used more accuracy buff and at the same time our "main" DD was using meat + default acc set instead of sushi+acc set.

I've never tried the "no tank" strategy either. I know on our server Loire, Hoshiku and their friends use that strat a lot.
Personally when I'm on GEO, if I'm not the only one, I like to go /DNC and DD :D Not as good as a DNC or a BLU of course, but you'd be surprised how nice it can be. Sometimes I've outparsed PUG DDs (says a lot about the quality of those DDs I guess lol)
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-06 04:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends, I guess.
Are 2x GEOs your only buffers? Do you have a BRD too? Or a COR?
Which kind of DDs are we talking about, DNC or BLU? (they get a lot of acc) or other DDs?
Do they have a decent accuracy set? Are they using sushi?

Well I'm almost always on BLU for obvious reasons. My 2nd DD depends on if it's a PUG or not. I've gone with DNC, several BLU's (most are really bad) and some Koga SAM's. I feel the SAM's really hurt inside there cause of how low their accuracy is. If we have one GEO then they will entrust precision onto the SAM when we engage the second NM, it should last the rest of the fight.

Usually setup is

PLD
BLU (me)
DD
GEO
COR
WHM

No matter how I alter the setup, 2H DD's really need 4~5 people supporting just them. BRD GEO GEO WHM at a minimum to cap haste and accuracy while not being curbed stomped by amnesia / terror / dispel.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-06 04:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that was kinda my point.
Personally I prefer the 3x buffers + 1x tank +1 strong DD (BLU or DNC) + WHM setup.
But sometimes I end up with the 2x DD setup and buffs kinda need to change accordingly.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-06 05:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't like "hero" setups as it burns out the support guys. Like to rotate the positions and give everyone a chance at being a melee, which usually entails having at least two. Even if its slightly longer fights, more people having fun is a plus in my book.
 Cerberus.Krystela
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Krystela 2015-11-06 07:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally we do

PLD
GEO
SCH
BLM
BLM
WHM or BRD or GEO

It's quick, easy and never fails.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-29 16:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asked the same question in the SCH thread, but I'm gonna repeat myself here since it's exactely the same.
I need a suggestion.
Long ago when I reworked/created my SCH and GEO luas, I split my nuke sets in two. One for lowtier/helix, one for High tier.
It's not perfect, but I'm just an average mage, and back then the gearing options made sense to be split that way.

I looked at my set again and I'm not sure I can justify the existance of this double set anymore.
There's a few specific low-tier items that I use in my sets (Buremte Hat, Satlada Necklace, Crematio Earring, Otomi Gloves, Acuity Belt +1 to name some that I remember u sing).

Is it really still worth it? I'm questioning wether I should just ignore this low tier set and use my high tier set for everything and save some inventory space.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2015-11-29 17:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I use my low tier set 0% of the time. I don't really give a ***about low tier nukes for anything that matters because it's just going to ruin MB dmg for shitty damage, anyway. The damage is probably not noticeable either.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-29 18:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's part of the issue yeah.
I rarely use T1s or T2s anymore.
Sometimes as a third MB on the same SC, on stuff where I know I can do it.
But yeah, given the current state of magic (wait for SC then MB) the relevance of low tier is debateable.
Back when they reformed magic, things were different and low tier had a higher relevance.

But my question goes beyond just this.
I'm thinking that for the majority of slots the gear I use for high tier is actually going to be better than what I use for low tier, and when it's not the case, the difference is gonna be so small that it's likely not worth to waste the inventory slots.
(Otomi Gloves and Buremte Hat are the main examples of what I'm trying to say)
Yes, sadly I still have inventory woes with 8+ geared jobs... Gaining some inventory spaces would be bliss for me.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 73 74 75