Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-04 13:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A story in a sandbox…

We’re Chucklefish, a studio working on our first project – an extraterrestrial sandbox adventure game called Starbound.

In Starbound, you take on the role of a character who’s just fled from their home planet, only to crash-land on another. From there you’ll embark on a quest to survive, discover, explore and fight your way across an infinite universe.

You’ll encounter procedurally generated creatures and weapons, discover populated villages and abandoned temples. Explore planets dotted with dungeons, eyeball trees and treasure. Make use of over a hundred materials and over one thousand in-game objects to build a sprawling modern metropolis or a sleepy secluded cabin in the woods, and do all of it alone or with friends!

Starbound lets you live out your own story of space exploration, discovery and adventure. Settle down and farm the land, hop from planet to planet claiming resources, or make regular visits to populated settlements, taking on jobs and earning a living. NPCs are scattered about the worlds, offering quests and challenges for those looking for a little extra excitement in their lives.

Traverse the stars with the starmap to find endless procedurally generated planets and creatures. Discover new crops, creatures and weapons, capture monsters to keep as companions and clear dungeons of their loot.

Complete quest lines that let you delve into the greater galactic mysteries! Who created the Glitch? What is Big Ape’s secret? Why are the Hylotl so uptight? From abandoned bunkers to creepy temples, Starbound’s richly detailed universe offers a host of places to investigate and tales to unfold. Follow the story or create your own, experience the game how YOU want to.

As developers, we’ve been inspired by all the games we grew up playing. From isometric 80s classics to Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid. Celebrated platformers like Mario and Sonic, RPGs such as Elder Scrolls and Ultima, and iconic handheld games such as Pokemon. Starbound draws on numerous classic influences, while taking a thoroughly modern approach to crafting, narrative and world-building. It’s an amalgamation of the games we loved as kids, and the games we love now, fully focused on providing the player with an engrossing, fun experience.

Players love to get creative, and with Starbound, we’ve tried to offer as much creative scope as possible. Foraging and crafting provides the player with numerous resources and items to kit themselves out to suit their playing style. Building allows you to create wonderful, expansive worlds to call your own. Fancy a campfire singalong? Just whip out a musical instrument and jam away. Always wanted to camp out in a hostile desert with buddies? Then head off into the wilderness of multiplayer, armed only with your wits (and a massive sword). Customise your spaceship to be your home away from home, then journey to an uncharted planet, and lay down the building blocks for a new life.

Video games offer untold scope for adventure and wonder, and with Starbound we hope to provide you with a memorable, exciting experience. We can’t wait for you to explore the universe we’ve created.

tl;dr: spiritual successor to Terraria with expanded systems (has actual quests, more items, more monsters, etc.) and multiple worlds to visit throughout the Universe.

The Beta started today. Can get into it (basically early access) by preordering the game.

http://www.playstarbound.com

GET IT.
By fractalvoid 2013-12-04 14:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

terraria was awesome and incredible amounts of lulz. may have to grab this
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-12-04 14:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if I have space in my heart for a sidescroller in 2013.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-12-04 17:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I may or may not have spent somewhere in the range of 800 hours on Terraria... Steam really shouldn't tell me this.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-05 02:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

goty
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-12-05 03:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I can see why someone would want to shoot some hybrid Squirtle-Lickatung abominations.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-12-05 03:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly is the point of this game and is there stealth?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-07 00:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Big update coming in a couple of days that's going to completely restructure how armor rating, weapon damage, and level tiers work. Planet levels are being reduced from 1-100 to 1-10, however the Devs stressed that it doesn't mean content is being cut, it's just changing the range of numerical level values in order to compensate for the new armor and damage mechanics; also, enemies will now become stronger the deeper into the planet you go. Monsters will no longer have levels, but instead will be gauged by three different difficulty indicators. Stronger monsters will have higher HP and whatnot rather than level, armor rating, and armor penetration being all that decides how much damage you deal and take, and will overall make it easier to gauge combat difficulty and the effectiveness of your weapons since your weapon's DPS will be static. They're also adding a fourth sector and some other new content. Overall, looks pretty good. Only downside is that we'll very likely have to make new characters, as current ones will not carry over properly. Expected though, this is Beta.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-12-07 01:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Terraria was awesome <3 and I've known about this game for a few years, I just can't get over how it looks honestly ; ;

It has a lot of improvements over Terraria, but the style is just off-putting for me ._.;
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-07 14:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

don't like the dr. seuss in space style? D:
 Fenrir.Tsuji
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2013-12-29 17:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Recently got this game, after a friend convinced me to get it. No regret whatsoever, this game is extremely fun! Hylotl ftw!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-29 17:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The final character wipe will be happening some time in January. This will coincide with major system revisions and the addition of some new bosses + quests. After this wipe, no other character wipes will occur. Therefor, don't get too attached to your current character, but plan on making the one after that a permanent one!
 Siren.Calnus
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2013-12-29 17:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I started playing this about two weeks ago. I had my doubts but man this game really pulls through. The entire thing is just rediculously amazing.

Terraria meets Mass Effect.
 Fenrir.Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2013-12-29 19:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
The final character wipe will be happening some time in January. This will coincide with major system revisions and the addition of some new bosses + quests. After this wipe, no other character wipes will occur. Therefor, don't get too attached to your current character, but plan on making the one after that a permanent one!
Thanks for letting me know Pro!

Tell me, if I have items on a character, can I leave containers on a planet and remember its coordinates, and after I make a new character (after character wipe) and go to that planet, can I retrieve those items?

Please say yes :(
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-29 20:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Negative, worlds are being wiped as well.
 Fenrir.Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2013-12-29 20:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bummer. Oh well, I didn't get too far anyway. It's all right to start from scratch. Just been playing for a week or so anyway :)
 Siren.Calnus
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2013-12-29 20:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I was kinda miffed about the character wipe coming up again, but I learned about all the different race benefits and differences in the process.

When the game goes out of beta at least the knowledge will stay with you and you'll move through things a little faster from familiarity. I'm not sure if I want to stay with the humans or go with a monkey~

Planet of the apes style lol.
 Fenrir.Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2013-12-30 13:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend is the same; He loves anything to do with Planet of the Apes haha. I'm all for Hylotl though. Apparently they are the least played race so far o-O;
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [360 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-12-25 03:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The Winter update is live on -unstable branch.

YouTube Video Placeholder

To sign up for Unstable, right click on Starbound in your Library, click Properties, go to Betas, and select unstable from the dropdown. 100% playable for me so far and it has all the Winter update content.

Feels a whole lot better now, lots more elements that actually feel like a game that has made it a lot more fun to play for me. If you own it, I would strongly urge that you give it a try!
By Wordspoken 2014-12-25 05:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

On my steam wishlist. Hoping to catch an offer while sales are on.

Does using unstable help developers?
 Fenrir.Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2014-12-25 05:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Desperate for this update to push to live... I can't wait. I would try unstable but I'll wait til it hits live. It looks awesome.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-01-27 18:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

update is hitting live this week
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-01-27 18:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it out of Alpha (Beta?) yet?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-01-27 18:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

there's enough features for it to be Beta (even could call it a live release at this point, but anyway) but they haven't officially moved out of Alpha yet

edit: actually i tell a lie, it is in Beta.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-01-27 18:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's on my to-get list but I didn't want to pick it up while in Alpha. Thanks.
 Fenrir.Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2015-01-28 14:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait for the update to hit live... waiting eagerly here on Steam. Its about time they pushed up new content though, to be fair...
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-01-28 18:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

http://playstarbound.com/hark-a-stable-update-v-upbeat-giraffe/#more-2989

Update today. Game is 25% off for the next 2 days as well.
By Wordspoken 2015-02-08 12:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally picked up this game, it was worth it. I have so much stuff to play with and this is in beta.

I can warmly recommend this game to anyone.