What To Merit On RUN?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » What to merit on RUN?
What to merit on RUN?
First Page 2 3 4
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2013-07-12 14:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Been away from the game for a bit, and came back to see that RUN has merits now to play with, and was wondering if there's any setup that's better than the rest to use at this time.

I also seemed to have gathered that one of the merits is bugged in regards to fast cast / recast after looking on the official forums for an answer on what to merit, and I'm assuming that's getting fixed in the future?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-12 14:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Group 2 is easy: 5 Battuta, 4 Inspiration, 1 Rayke.

Group 1 is tossed between Pflug, Vallation/Valiance and Runes. Cap 2 of those 3.
[+]
By darthmaull 2013-07-16 23:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive been taking Run on plasm runs and just from that event Im thinking of redoing my merits. Right now I have 5/5 in Rune Enchantment but Im thinking they are not needed. I am noticing that Im getting hit with status ailments when the mob turns to me and I tank it for a bit. Im thinking that Pflug effect maybe better.
 Leviathan.Wolfemasters
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Wolfemasters 2013-07-27 02:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a post about this already, where'd it go?

I really think that meriting "Sleight of Sword" could be quite useful. You add a full 25 points of Subtle Blow to RUN and the mob isn't going to get squat for TP. Since you are going to keep Swordplay up as much as possible, why wouldn't you take it?

And as far as Inspiration goes, that should be a 5/5 too. Especially if you are already meriting Vallation 5/5. That's going to make it even stronger and adding a 50% Fast Cast.

And if you 5/5 Rune Enchantment, you are furthering those other merits even more.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-07-27 02:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sleight of Sword gets no love because, while it may have some useful scenarios, Battuta and Inspiration will always be more useful, more often.
I'm currently 5/5 on Rune, Vallation, Battuta, Inspiration. Haven't played around with Rayke but it could be useful now and then (Does it increase rune-damage any? I've only seen it used to bump up Lunge damage)
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-07-27 02:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Wolfemasters said: »
You add a full 25 points of Subtle Blow to RUN and the mob isn't going to get squat for TP.

I don't think you realize how little 25 subtle blow is, especially on a job that has no native subtle blow and the fact you only get it (usually) 2 minutes out of every 5. MNKs, NINs, and DNCs have that much or more pretty much full-time and nobody cares outside of soloing. (NIN typically has 37+) RUN isn't really an especially impressive soloer so it probably won't matter then.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-27 03:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

As a side note, if it's not apparent, the 50% Fast Cast from Inspiration is applied to all people who receive the effect, not just yourself....
[+]
 Sylph.Mirvana
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-07-27 03:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

RUNs role in endgame: Valiance the SCHs on stun-duty lol
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-27 04:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Wolfemasters said: »
There was a post about this already, where'd it go?

I really think that meriting "Sleight of Sword" could be quite useful. You add a full 25 points of Subtle Blow to RUN and the mob isn't going to get squat for TP. Since you are going to keep Swordplay up as much as possible, why wouldn't you take it?

And as far as Inspiration goes, that should be a 5/5 too. Especially if you are already meriting Vallation 5/5. That's going to make it even stronger and adding a 50% Fast Cast.

And if you 5/5 Rune Enchantment, you are furthering those other merits even more.
Have you not even tried Battuta? That thing is titsauce, only downside is short duration, but pretty much makes you invincible for 90 secs. The subtle blow only has sense when alone and it's really bad like explained above already.

As for Rayke it should work to lower resistance not damage, so in synergy with the enfeeblers, which is why you could want 1 merit in it, although I can see how that 10% more fastcast can be really hard to pass on.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2013-07-27 05:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Having at least 4 merits in Inspiration is good enough to leave 1 merit level for Rayke.

I went to Yumcax as RUN with some cors in party/alliance and I used Rayke along with Wind Runes to lower it's wind resistance and it's kinda noticeable with the resist rates, and with Cors to Random Deal / Wild Card you could keep putting up Wind Rayke. Although Rayke lasts for 30 seconds, I used Gambit first since that lasts 1 minute, so that way yumcax could resist less and take more damage from Wind Shot.

Honestly, even though Rayke's duration is very short it's still has it's uses such as one I listed above
 Sylph.Mystaria
By Sylph.Mystaria 2013-07-31 23:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
RUNs role in endgame: Valiance the SCHs on stun-duty lol

Would love to know more about this please. What merits would best assist stuns?
By kenshynofshiva 2013-08-01 08:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
As a side note, if it's not apparent, the 50% Fast Cast from Inspiration is applied to all people who receive the effect, not just yourself....

holy hell
[+]
By Lyncath 2013-08-01 14:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

Seconding this.
In theory, especially after the incoming update to Soothsayer Staff, Scholars will no longer need the Magian "Stun Staff" with this ability on them.

50% Fast Cast and Recast Reduction is really noticeable.
I'm trying to plug bringing Rune Fencer to Tojil runs for this reason amongst others.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-01 15:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignoring the fact that you don't need the Magian staff to be a designated stunner, why wouldn't you just bring another scholar?
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2013-08-01 16:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Ignoring the fact that you don't need the Magian staff to be a designated stunner, why wouldn't you just bring another scholar?

Tabula Rasa solo stunning to allow SCHs to regen their strats?
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-01 16:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, no part of that requires a Magian staff, and again, why not just add an additional scholar if you're dead set on wasting a slot?

No part of this makes sense on the context of something like Tojil
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-08-01 16:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You also can't keep valiance up fulltime, can just fulltime the effect on yourself alternating with vallation(pending dispels).
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-01 18:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile, your unbuffed RUN is doing absolutely nothing
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-01 18:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Again, no part of that requires a Magian staff, and again, why not just add an additional scholar if you're dead set on wasting a slot?

No part of this makes sense on the context of something like Tojil

It doesn't make any sense, you'd be better off with the RUN in the main party for Valiance/One For All it was more of a "When you use Valiance, try to hit the mages in your party too."

RUN works very well on Shark, but I don't think I'd take it to Bee or Tojil and you know how I am.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-08-01 19:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN isn't even necessary for Dakuwaqa, since most groups tend to use MNK/RUN to drop his aura while still maintaining a heavy amount of damage.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-01 19:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not necessary but strongly taming a large portion of the fight while maintaining respectable DPS, RUN actually carries its weight.

Also, I'm not sure how the Aura works exactly but it seems like a solo rune fencer can drop the aura faster than a party of MNK/RUN, so.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-08-01 19:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Dropping the aura has been described as dealing a random number of thunder based attacks, or a random amount of thunder based damage. If it is the latter, then a good RUN should definitely be dropping the aura much faster with Sulpor and Lunge. Of course, Gambit and Rayke will definitely have a sizable impact on the fight as well, which would allow the MNKs to use /war.

A RUN would really only be able to carry weight in series of fights (NMs 1-5 + Megaboss) if it had a Senbaak Nagan to work with. A capped out Bereaver honestly may not be enough.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-01 19:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

A capped out Bereaver isn't enough for anything!

J/K our first 1-5 + Shark win had 0 Murasamemaru and a Bereaver DRK because I was supposed to lend him my Senbaak and forgot to trade it to him.
By Enuyasha 2013-08-01 20:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lunge at 400 skill+ should be doing upper 2-3K's without MAB gear right ("Unresisted too i should say(?)):< The only real advantage RUN gets is increased runes/lunge damage and a heafty lot of other abilities that help Lunge/others :<
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-01 20:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If there's any evidence that RUN is better suited for dropping the aura, it may have applications for that zone.

Otherwise-- stop trying to make RUN happen. It's not going to happen.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-08-01 21:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of damage reduction imposed by a RUN, which significantly reduces risk and the amount of time that your DDs will ever be in a DT set, while maintaining a respectable DPS output, is impossible to ignore. It's not solely about the efficacy of a RUN taking down the aura compared to MNKs.

There's a reason that the JPs don't even bother doing their PUGs and stuff for Dakuwaqa without getting 2 RUNs first.
[+]
 Sylph.Mystaria
By Sylph.Mystaria 2013-08-01 21:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Still would love to hear more about this fast cast stuff on party. Not really had a chance to try all that stuff much, Usually am just doing WHM. So if I wanted to do all the fast cast on stunner, what would I be focusing on?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-08-01 21:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Inspiration merits. Those buffed with Valiance get FC.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-01 21:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
The amount of damage reduction imposed by a RUN, which significantly reduces risk and the amount of time that your DDs will ever be in a DT set, while maintaining a respectable DPS output, is impossible to ignore. It's not solely about the efficacy of a RUN taking down the aura compared to MNKs.

There's a reason that the JPs don't even bother doing their PUGs and stuff for Dakuwaqa without getting 2 RUNs first.

If they can bring auras down faster than the alternatives. I wouldn't have a DT set on any other time

My (hopefully) obvious quote-based remark aside, I'm not opposed to RUN, just so long as it isn't for hand-wavy/the JPs do it reasons(they still bring /RUN to Tojil, too, and we all know how pointless that is)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-08-01 22:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the part you're missing, the aura doesn't have to go down faster for you to basically never have to switch into a DT set, that's why it's valuable to begin with. Rarely will the case present itself where Valiance and One For All are insufficient for reducing the damage that you're taking during Aura phases to where you'd need a DT set for more than just the couple of seconds that Verve's attack bonus is still active. All but two, at most, of Dakuwaqa's TP moves are water based; as such, almost all of his attacks are reduced in potency by 45%+15MDB (30 when Valiance is down for the MNKs that are inevitably being brought along) and one aura phase's spikes will be mitigated by One For All.

My experience on RUN, including inside of Foret Fracture, was what led me to believe that its potency on Dakuwaqa would be worth the slot(s), and precedes any idea of the JPs using them by quite a while. Particularly for groups prone to mistakes, having the RUNs in there increases the odds of success.

Whether RUN actually brings the aura down faster or not I cannot say for absolute certain at this time, however I've noticed that my RUN alone is usually capable of removing the aura at the same speed as the MNKs can when they come /RUN. I don't think it comes down to a simple "frequency of thunder attacks" thing.
First Page 2 3 4