Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Multiple nodes per post
Multiple nodes per post
 Sylph.Malizia
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-06-19 19:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the idea of nodes are cool, but right now their main use is maintaining edit history and allowing multiple people to edit them. For guides that's pretty useful, but they could be so much more! Here's what I would want to make my guide nodetastic:

1. Multiple nodes per post.
I want to use nodes not only to preserve edit history, but also to make editing easier. That means using nodes for sections of a guide instead of for the entire thing. For example, instead of:
Code Example 1
Mali's Guide to Nodes
[node]EVERYTHING[/node]

I could have:
Code Example 2
Mali's Guide to Nodes
[node]Introduction[/node]
[node]Node Abilities[/node]
[node]Node Examples[/node]
[node]Nodes vs. Noses - The Great Debate[/node]

Each node would have its own edit history, and because the content in each node is subject-specific, it's much easier to make and track edits. It's like having multiple files when writing code, or chapters / headings in a document.

2. Nested nodes
Way less important, and only really useful if we have multiple nodes per post. But this would allow me to completely eliminate all text in a guide post and just use nodes (I can currently do this with a single node, but then I have a HUGE node that's just as hard to edit as the original post). Thus we could take Example 2 and replace it with:
Code Example 3
[node]Mali's Guide to Nodes[/node]

where the "Mali's Guide to Nodes" node looks like:
Code 'Mali's Guide to Nodes' node
Mali's Guide to Nodes
[node]Introduction[/node]
[node]Node Abilities[/node]
[node]Node Examples[/node]
[node]Nodes vs. Noses - The Great Debate[/node]

3. Better support for spoilers and nodes
I made a topic about this in the bugs forum, but there's something weird going on when I combine spoilers and nodes (both hiding nodes in spoilers and hiding spoilers in nodes), and it didn't start happening until a week ago or so.

Honestly, if you just fix the multiple nodes thing, I will plaster my guide with nodes and be very happy. The rest is just gravy... tasty, tasty gravy.
Administrator
By Scragg 2013-06-19 21:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I will up the node limit per post.

2. Nested nodes are possible but I have to add some logic to prevent a circular reference before enabling this ability.

3. I was informed about this today. I have an idea what might be the problem but will need to do some debugging.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [54 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Malizia
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-08-12 17:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you ever up the node limit per post? This post seems to display multiple nodes in a single post, but if I edit/preview that post it doesn't work, and when I tried it with my guide I couldn't do multiple nodes either.