Final Fantasy XV
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 54 55 56
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Midgley said: »
I think the only thing directly referenced from the mythos in XV is Etro?

So far, I think that's the only thing. Pretty sure it was mentioned in the trailer where they're at a party.
 Siren.Midgley
Server: Siren
user: maiestass
By Siren.Midgley 2014-09-18 09:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah something about those who die and come back get Etro's gift or something and both Noctis and Stella have that gift, but its not been elaborated on yet.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Midgley said: »
Yeah something about those who die and come back get Etro's gift or something and both Noctis and Stella have that gift, but its not been elaborated on yet.

Quote:
In XV, they are humans who have suffered a near-death experience and received magical powers from the Unseen Realm.

This is all we know
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 09:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give a try when the PC version comes out.
By Artemicion 2014-09-18 19:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

For those that jumped on my post mistakening it for blind hatred, let me explain:

I disliked FFXIII in virtually every element and asset it presented. To me, the story was poorly writen, the game was terribly paced, the music awkward and misplaced, the characters were obnoxious and uninteresting, etc. etc.

While there may have been mechanical improvements to it's predecessors with XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, the fact remains that it utilizes the same general background and foundation in story and concept. And for XV to utilize that Fabula Nova Crystallis background as well is going to make it a very hard sell for me, even if they put a new twist or interpretation on the whole thing.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2014-09-18 19:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

13-1 was a bad game, i remember trying to replay it and just ugh, couldn't stomach it.

13-2 was a good game, fixed a lot of major flaws and the story was actually much easier to follow (even if it was kind of full of...chaos *zing*)

13-3 I seriously did not like it when i started it, but when i finished it, i really kind of didn't want to let go, it really grew on me as i played it.

Overall I'm glad i played through all 3 games even if they weren't the best in the series, The music in the series is fantastic once you give it a chance, a bit different from usual, but i think that's what makes it so great.

SE knows they didn't do a good job with 13, hence why they are trying to distance themselves away from the 13 name. (type-0 name changed, FF15 name changed, etc)

Give 15, and Type-0 HD a chance imo, Don't throw them on the same bandwagon as 13, they are totally different games.

then again, I'm one of the few who actually really enjoyed ff12, so i can see how i'm a tad more optimistic than most people, but still, no reason for people to be pooping on games so hard that aren't even out for demo yet, seems so silly to me lol.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-09-18 20:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I haven't played a top-class JRPG since PS2 era.
sorry but this made me laugh.

have you tried the "Tales of..." series?
"Grandia 2"
"Bravely Default"?
I'm pretty sure there are some other.

If you think about it, the series has been slowly been shying away from the turn based way before XII, Active ATB, where, while sort of turn based (based on the character's speed), the monster would not wait for you to finish your turn to attack.
Tales games are unimpressive.
I haven't played Grandia 2, but that was PS2 era
Bravely Default was a fun game but it's not top-class. The second half of the game made sure of that. Still thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was, and it has a vast amount of potential, but it's not there yet.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2014-09-18 20:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
I haven't played a top-class JRPG since PS2 era.
sorry but this made me laugh.

have you tried the "Tales of..." series?
"Grandia 2"
"Bravely Default"?
I'm pretty sure there are some other.

If you think about it, the series has been slowly been shying away from the turn based way before XII, Active ATB, where, while sort of turn based (based on the character's speed), the monster would not wait for you to finish your turn to attack.
Tales games are unimpressive.
I haven't played Grandia 2, but that was PS2 era
Bravely Default was a fun game but it's not top-class. The second half of the game made sure of that. Still thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was, and it has a vast amount of potential, but it's not there yet.

I think they remade grandia for ps3 iirc, i may be mistaken on that either way a *** fantastic game that you should go back and play (emulator son)

Check out Eternal sonata, Loved the battle system in that game, just tons of fun, and music/story/animation was great as well

also Lost Odyssea, 360 game, the music/story in that game is 10/10
gameplay wise i kinda didn't like it as much, but a true turn based jrpg that you shouldn't miss.

tales of xillia was pretty good, and #2 just got released also.
also; Don't forget there's actually a few amazing jrpgs on the wii, which i haven't even tried myself cause lolwii.

I definitely agree that there has been a dryspell of jrpg games compared to the ps1/ps2 era, but factoring in the rising costs of production for video games, it kinda makes sense, specially when you realize there's been a shortage of good games across all genres not just jrpgs. there's been a slew of jrpg games that never make it to the states because of localization costs as well. so :/
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-18 21:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

trails in the sky is great'
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-18 22:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
The music in the series is fantastic once you give it a chance, a bit different from usual, but i think that's what makes it so great.
I don't know.

There are some tracks I really love, very beautiful, very Final Fantasy inspiring.

Then you get to a boss. This should set the stage for the game, this is a moment that really defines what the game is going to be. I reach the boss, and I get this:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Now, you might disagree with me, but that is disgusting. Is it a bad song? No, but is it Final Fantasy? No. It's not. The longer the track plays the more disgusted I am thinking this is what I was forced to listen to during a boss battle.

This track alone ruined FFXIII-2 for me. Not even joking in the slightest. When it comes to a boss battle, the theme is incredibly important to me and this is not Final Fantasy.

It honestly is the singing that ruined it for me. The actual music playing isn't that bad, but the lyrics just... I am left with no interest in the battle. I would say I'm happy I killed the boss because I don't have to listen to it anymore, but the track just makes me feel so turned off I am left with no concern after I defeat it. That is the worst feeling, that you defeated a boss and you move on like it's nothing.

This isn't my only issue with FFXIII-2 or FFXIII, but this stands out for me as one of the worst dislikes for me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-09-18 23:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give you that one. That theme isn't really a suitable song for a generic boss theme. If they'd left it for the time stream boss, like Otherworld was only used during a FMV and for the Jecht Boss Fight, it would have been fine.

The only reason I didn't hate it is because I'm a fan of Shootie HG's work on the DMC series, so it was something I was already comfortable, and enjoyed, listening too.

However, I feel rest of the music from the XIII trilogy (especially from XIII-2) more than made up for that one glaring mistake.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-18 23:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately I don't think the boss battle theme is a mistake you can afford.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-18 23:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, for those who like FFXIII, apparently it's coming to PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292120/

Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy Heading to PC Starting in October.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2014-09-18 23:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Altimaomega said: »
Artemicion said: »
Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
I can't say for sure but I have seen nothing of Type-0 that relates to XIII in any shape or form.

There is a connection, however, the whole thing is confusing because they're taking a set universe/mythos and reinterpreting it or something like that, so it's hard to tell where the similarities begin and end.

If someone would like to ELI5, it would be much appreciated.

The nice way to say "Being *** Lazy"
Yes, because recurring themes and mythologies are a completely new concept in FF.

So it worked the first, second, third time.. Lets do it again!

Not surprising you are a fan of 13 it is catered for people who cannot be bothered to think.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-09-18 23:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Eh, maybe if the bosses had been more important feeling.

Caius, Giant Flan and the Time Beast were the only really bosses that had that 'must be stopped feel'. Caius has his own theme and I felt the boss music fit the Time Beast really well. So only the Giant Flan would have thrown me off if I didn't like the theme.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-09-18 23:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

/shudder. I've avoided the soundtrack entirely because of the chocobo song... I regret listening to this one. I'd have to turn the sound off during the fights to play through this.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-18 23:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said I was a fan? I've been pretty critical of it in previous posts. I don't feel like the overall mythos of the series was the problem with the games so I don't see why a reinterpretation of the general themes and elements are any indication of 15's ultimate quality. Opinion, obviously, but criticizing recurring themes in the FF series is just ignorant.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-19 00:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said I was a fan? I've been pretty critical of it in previous posts. I don't feel like the overall mythos of the series was the problem with the games so I don't see why a reinterpretation of the general themes and elements are an indication of 15's ultimate quality. Opinion, obviously, but criticizing recurring themes in the FF series is just ignorant.
I just think it's funny that he's trying to rip on anyone for not thinking. But I like some good "Iron E."
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-19 01:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Caius, Giant Flan and the Time Beast were the only really bosses that had that 'must be stopped feel'. Caius has his own theme and I felt the boss music fit the Time Beast really well. So only the Giant Flan would have thrown me off if I didn't like the theme.
A boss should have meaning, not some flan who is eating away at the crystal pillar. Why should I want to defeat it? Oh no! A giant flan is eating away the pillar we need to stop it!!!

That's not a boss. That's filler. It's trash. That isn't interesting. Of course you're going to think that bosses don't have any important feeling, because they don't. There isn't any thought put into them, it's "what can we put here for a boss".

Then they pull you along and let you know it's still there, and you can only defeat it once you're stronger! So level up and come back later for an achievement!

It's so generic. Where is the adventure? Where is the excitement of exploring a new world, of discovering new foes and finding friends along the way. There wasn't a single NPC that sold you anything in the 13 game, just a mog station that acted as an all-in-one convenience device that players would do w/e they want at. Then they add chocolina instead, who appears everywhere! Finally an NPC we can talk to! Like this makes up for everything 13's done to the franchise.

The damage it's done is unrepairable in my opinion. This is SE doing SE things ever since they got their hands on the name.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-09-19 01:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said I was a fan? I've been pretty critical of it in previous posts. I don't feel like the overall mythos of the series was the problem with the games so I don't see why a reinterpretation of the general themes and elements are any indication of 15's ultimate quality. Opinion, obviously, but criticizing recurring themes in the FF series is just ignorant.

I never said themes. You did. Once again putting words in my mouth.
You generalized "universe/mythos of 13" into "themes" to make a unthoughtful snarky comment as usual. Then you go on saying that I criticize something that I never said and call me the ignorant one.. ffs dude..
By Altimaomega 2014-09-19 01:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

A boss should have meaning, not some flan who is eating away at the crystal pillar. Why should I want to defeat it? Oh no! A giant flan is eating away the pillar we need to stop it!!!

That's not a boss. That's filler. It's trash. That isn't interesting. Of course you're going to think that bosses don't have any important feeling, because they don't. There isn't any thought put into them, it's "what can we put here for a boss".

Then they pull you along and let you know it's still there, and you can only defeat it once you're stronger! So level up and come back later for an achievement!

It's so generic. Where is the adventure? Where is the excitement of exploring a new world, of discovering new foes and finding friends along the way. There wasn't a single NPC that sold you anything in the 13 game, just a mog station that acted as an all-in-one convenience device that players would do w/e they want at. Then they add chocolina instead, who appears everywhere! Finally an NPC we can talk to! Like this makes up for everything 13's done to the franchise.

The damage it's done is unrepairable in my opinion. This is SE doing SE things ever since they got their hands on the name.

+10

The way they handled the horrible, lacking, equipment and weapons is what pissed me off the most.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-19 01:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The recycled themes and elements make up the shared mythos. You said it was "*** lazy" when it's the norm for FF games.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-19 01:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure that XI reused boss theme music, especially the earlier versions. The great thing about XI though was that it tried it's best to bring new music with an expansion. I really looked forward to the boss music of a new expansion, really means a lot to me.

Any music in a game means a lot to me really, but big moments that are as important as a boss should really stand out, and be memorable for the good and not the bad. The more difficult it is to kill, the better. Yea, I'll be pissed. I'll think, what am I doing wrong! What have I missed, what have I not learned to clear this fight.

That feeling of defeat, or inspiration to succeed, is the best feeling I ever have in a game. I want to lose, so I can eventually win.
Server: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-09-19 02:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of memorable music in a video game for a boss fight.

Wiegraf and Velius fight. Hooooooooly ***, one of my favorite moments in a game ever.
[+]
By Artemicion 2014-09-19 04:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I need some redeeming boss music in this thread now after that abomination.

Edit: Spoilers are borked. How sad.

[+]
By Artemicion 2014-09-19 05:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

One more for good measure.

Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-09-19 05:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I really enjoyed 13 1/2/3, it was a nice story.
 Asura.Natenn
Server: Asura
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2014-09-19 06:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even released in NA and i know its epic already, seen they making HD version tbr in NA march 2015 but for ps4 only? :( i still have my ps3, anyone know if its gonna be PS3/PS4 both? was originally Psp so its not far fetched to see it on ps3 too
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 54 55 56