users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Katana/Dagger DW
Katana/Dagger DW
 Bismarck.Lubyone
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Lubyone 2013-05-10 11:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it work dual wielding the new delve katana/dagger due to the high base damage of both weapons or are we still better off using Kiji and said Kannagi/StrArisui?
 Bismarck.Lubyone
By Bismarck.Lubyone 2013-05-10 11:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if there is a penalty over using an offhand dagger vs katana.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2013-05-10 11:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The only real penalty from switching offhand to dagger, in the case of NIN, is a 417 A- Katana rating, to a 378 C+ dagger skill rating. That in itself is a 39 skill difference, being about 35 accuracy and attack you need to catch it up to the main-hand katana, assuming katana is capped and dagger is not. Those stats probably take the place of more beneficial stats, and also do aboslutely nothing for katana in the situation of the katana already being capped from the start.

Also: It does depend on the stats of the off-hand in question. I don't know the stats of new weapons, since I haven't played seriously in well over 5 months, and only browse new info every once in a while.
 Bismarck.Lubyone
By Bismarck.Lubyone 2013-05-10 11:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So here would be the stats of the off hand dagger in question:

DMG:91 Delay:200 STR+6 Accuracy+22 Evasion+10 +8 Attack

Essentially, I need to chose a katana over that if it were to make sense and I don't have Kannagi 99 or a STR Arisui so....I'd be off handing Kanome, or AGIArsui which has a base damage of 50 (vs 91 from the new dagger). Obviously ACC is a major factor in the new areas but I have a hard time believing this combo wouldn't pull ahead. Just looking for confirmation as I'm not good with the all ffxi wep calculations :)
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2013-05-10 11:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

That dagger would most likely beat any pre-Adoulin weapon, seeing as the best damage would be mid 60's with a 99 Kikoku, and that as an off-hand gives no attack, unless they changed it. Even the STR Arisui is only 50 dmg (not including fSTR from weapon itself). I would think the skirmish katana with augment would be on par with that, but I don't know the stats, nor the augments it is capable of either lol. That dagger is looking beastly, being only 13~ accuracy behind a 0+ acc katana, or 7%~ hit rate for a ~40 dmg increase.

Keep in mind that relic 99's will be upgradable in near future to be on par/slightly behind the new BAMF weapons. Not that relic 99 is on your list of things to get for NIN, just throwin that out there lol.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-05-10 12:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd use the dagger offhand for now, especially if you have any upgrades on it. I wouldn't invest too much airlixir into it though, unless you also play THF or something, since next patch will bring us a Naakual Katana, Skirmish Level 2, etc.
By sorge74 2013-05-14 19:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So what's the DPS difference between single handing a vastly stronger weapon vs the other options?
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-05-14 22:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

sorge74 said: »
So what's the DPS difference between single handing a vastly stronger weapon vs the other options?
By single-handing do you mean not using an off-hand weapon? On ninja you will probably have 50%+ Dual wield which means your attack rounds are actually faster when holding two weapons.
By skyehope928 2013-05-14 22:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Kannagi ftw and another katana Ninja r not ment to use daggers
 Shiva.Ariaum
Server: Shiva
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2013-05-14 22:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Kiji+Kannakiri
 Phoenix.Terasan
user: Terasan
By Phoenix.Terasan 2013-05-14 22:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

skyehope928 said: »
Kannagi ftw and another katana Ninja r not ment to use daggers

wtf did I just read.
 Asura.Yamoman
Server: Asura
user: Yamoman
By Asura.Yamoman 2013-05-14 23:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Might be better off with a dex katana, the eva on mobs doing reives are very high, the acc loss using a C rated weapon will be very noticible, magian weapons are free and just take a lil time to do, so double katana, ftw imho
 Ragnarok.Alahra
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-05-14 23:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yamoman said: »
Might be better off with a dex katana, the eva on mobs doing reives are very high, the acc loss using a C rated weapon will be very noticible, magian weapons are free and just take a lil time to do, so double katana, ftw imho

If you were to go for a DEX katana, I'd look into a Nakajimarai for now. It's craftable, and it's not that different from a DEX Arisui.
 Kujata.Sirus
Server: Kujata
user: xial
By Kujata.Sirus 2013-05-14 23:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

dmg is dmg. given that, if you have the accuracy (see: ninja has slightly gimped dagger skill) then its viable

if you have dagger capped and merits it could be useful situationally
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-05-14 23:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Given that Ninja probably doesn't find a place in a lot of Delve parties you probably won't need to worry too much about that accuracy for the stuff you will use it on.

That being said though, like I said above, I wouldn't throw too many Airlixirs into it since we'll probably get a bunch of new weapons in the next patch.
[+]
 Kujata.Sirus
By Kujata.Sirus 2013-05-15 18:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Given that Ninja probably doesn't find a place in a lot of Delve parties you probably won't need to worry too much about that accuracy for the stuff you will use it on.

That being said though, like I said above, I wouldn't throw too many Airlixirs into it since we'll probably get a bunch of new weapons in the next patch.
because of course this is the only content we do now. we dont even bother with ***outside delve. really? no. Situationally it's useful.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-05-15 22:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh, that's exactly what I meant. If you're on Ninja, you're probably not doing Delve, and you can use the dagger because your skill will basically be a non-issue. "Situationally" means basically "anytime you're on Ninja".

I still maintain that you shouldn't waste a shitload of plasm on it if you don't also have THF or DNC though.
 Valefor.Softly
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Softly 2013-05-16 00:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
if you don't also have THF or DNC though
who doesn't in this day and age, seriously. lol.
By Gimp 2013-05-16 00:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have either; life goes on
 Kujata.Sirus
By Kujata.Sirus 2013-05-16 00:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool, your name is quite fitting then
By Gimp 2013-05-16 00:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

True, my mule has them for me haha!
 Kujata.Sirus
By Kujata.Sirus 2013-05-16 00:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

still gimp. no reason to not exp everything to 99 when everything is handed to you on a silver platter.
[+]
By Gimp 2013-05-16 01:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I would argue that there are more things to do in game that are time consuming and more effective than leveling jobs i don't need, if I have the jobs between two characters then there's no real difference.
 Phoenix.Rhealana
user: Rhealana
By Phoenix.Rhealana 2013-05-20 19:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Back on topic; tested Kiji/Kukri combo today in Einherjar. It's very good. The acc bonus from both delve weapons amounts to ACC+50 at rank 2, which entirely offsets the loss in acc from lower dagger skill. I had higher DOT damage than MNKs with Rigors (Delve HTH). They did obviously trash me with WSes included though.

It doesn't make NIN relevant for the current endgame (Fracture bosses), but everything else is more than fine.