Installing POL/FFXI On Windows 7 (64-bit)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Installing POL/FFXI on Windows 7 (64-bit)
Installing POL/FFXI on Windows 7 (64-bit)
 Valefor.Vandell
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Vandell
By Valefor.Vandell 2013-02-14 11:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I ran and installed the POL viewer and FFXI/Zilart,and got an error message basically saying it isn't compatible with this OS....

So I looked in to it and found a download link for a different version of the POL Viewer for Vista/7,and installed/updated that,which does work and allows me to access the POL log in screen.

Now,the trouble I'm having is that when I put my disks in and start installing FFXI,it automatically wants to install the wrong version of POL...

I tried bypassing that,and manually installing the game content with setup.exe in the different folders,but then it tells me I still need to install the POL viewer....which I'm afraid that if I do,it will just overwrite it with the one that doesn't work...

Anyone know what I should do?
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2013-02-14 12:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I ran into this problem myself a long time ago. Are you using the original FFXI disc? the 5 or so CD's or is it a DVD ultimate disc?
 Ragnarok.Zirael
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2013-02-14 12:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Works for me here, so it's definitely possible to do it.
I think (been awhile tho) I installed the game from the discs, then installed the POL viewer and did the update.
[+]
 Valefor.Vandell
user: Vandell
By Valefor.Vandell 2013-02-14 12:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
I ran into this problem myself a long time ago. Are you using the original FFXI disc? the 5 or so CD's or is it a DVD ultimate disc?

The main one I'm trying to install is called "The Vana'Diel Collection" ,it's a gold colored box with Zilart and COP.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-06 15:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i tried the above and all i get is

1. no reg file is written
2. i log in to pol once then try update files ... and it cant see the ffxi install then try log in you get error 020 no ffxi installed
3. if you use disk pol you can instal basic game - get to wotg and taou and says no ffxi installed

help ;;
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2013-03-06 15:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Start Here:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-06 16:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh done that already didn't help. im using original disks

if i install the w7(downloadable pol) it does do the massive polv update but then when i go to load the game disks it says please instal polv...

when i use the disk polv 1st > it lets me instal base game but as soon as i hit expansions it says ffxi not installed...

ive then tried disk pol > base game > both deleted and over written on separate tries disk polv > instal (downloadable polv) > try expansions it says 1st instal polv

installing a *** game on an os that's years old cant be this hard lol
By Jetackuu 2013-03-06 16:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

did you try to run the .msi files instead of the .exe?

and do you have UAC turned off?

oh and you should be able to install the expansions from the splash screen still, but that depends on the disc.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-06 16:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

yes uac is off
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-06 16:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

wont let me run msi says you must run the .exe
By Jetackuu 2013-03-06 16:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

question:

did you make sure to download the right polviewer from SE

from the EU site and not the NA?
By Quiznor 2013-03-06 16:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember when I installed it on here (w7 ultimate 64bit)

I just had to download the w7 EU POL from the site,automatically I ran as admin (not sure if needed) and it worked just fine. And when I installed windower after that,clicked x64 in the GUI just to be double safe,ran as admin,worked perfect everytime
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-06 16:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

arrr it was us site,,, now i may have an issue lol as my disks are NA and expansions eu - on our 32 bit w7 i just had a eu/na reg files so didnt matter
By Jetackuu 2013-03-06 16:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

if you want to use the US client go to tehkrizz.net and download the discs/expansions, and just use the 7 client you have.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-06 17:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

k seems NA files will instal (lol!) but via the polviewr config it says their is no ffxi instal path!
By Jetackuu 2013-03-06 17:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

which config? (there's multi language configs as well)

and did you install them to the same folder?
 Valefor.Neokenesis
By Valefor.Neokenesis 2013-03-06 18:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it should be a big issue to fix. If you send me a PM with your skype details we can have you up and running in no time.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-07 07:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

sent neo my details - still cant install and ive used NA sites pol dl and thekrizz files... and after ive logged into pol once i still cant do a file fix for the game, also via the pol config it wont see it as installed
By Jetackuu 2013-03-07 10:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

you at this point may need to try revo and start over again.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-07 13:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

k right now its let me as far as to almost log full in game and give me the BIG update request... i hope this is good news

to help others (if this works...)

1st i dl the w7 pol from NA site not EU site (both region specific)
then i installed my base disks (no expansion)

and then i used this reg file and patch ((under 64 bit instal)

http://irethesire.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/installing-final-fantasy-xi-from-a-copy/

now a few small points with the above link to make it SUPER CLEAR XD

1. "In an elevated command prompt"

this just means right click on cmd.exe and make sure you run it with admin privileges

2. then you type the following in the cmd box (copy/paste ALL bellow line if helps)

cd "C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix"

3. then type in cmd box

FFXIregfix.cmd

4. then try log ALL way into ffxi - this time you shouldn't get any 020 or 022 errors and it will let you do the big update

5. if your using NA client make the update a little faster and dl thekrizz files (using a DL accelerator took me 1 hour) then drag them over your install files - then do step 4 wich says it will take me another 2 hours (during peek NA playtime)
By Jetackuu 2013-03-07 13:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

shouldn't need to do any reg hack, sounds sketch.
By Quiznor 2013-03-07 13:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
I remember when I installed it on here (w7 ultimate 64bit)

I just had to download the w7 EU POL from the site,automatically I ran as admin (not sure if needed) and it worked just fine. And when I installed windower after that,clicked x64 in the GUI just to be double safe,ran as admin,worked perfect everytime

I realized I'm quoting myself,but reinstalled yesterday and everything I said worked fine again,no problems at all.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-07 13:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

reinstall means you still had the original reg files?

well i know ***should be easy - and i wish it was and could give me 2-3 days back lol

.... but again for some reason the issue i was having were - no reg file was being written... and then due to this no "ffxi" instal could be found ;; so it wouldn't let me even get as far as to do a big file update (from a full log in) or from the account select screen. ANd i tried your way and about 2-3 other ways posted on the net before i tried this and it worked
By Jetackuu 2013-03-07 15:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

worked is irrelevant, still sounds sketch.

you don't need to touch the registry for FFXI.
 Phoenix.Lagian
Server: Phoenix
user: Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2013-03-07 15:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. There shouldn't be any reason to touch the registry. Have you just tried going through the full installation, and then removing POL and installing the Windows Vista/7 Version?
 Phoenix.Lagian
Server: Phoenix
user: Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2013-03-08 08:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just went through this install last night just to see what I needed to do. Here is what I did, with no problems.

1.) Download the Windows Vista/7 version of POL.
2.) Install that with a standard installation.
3.) Open up the ultimate collection CD and navigate to the folders INST1 through INST5.
4.) Inside of each of those folders run the Setup.exe file.
5.) During the installation of the first set of files make sure you point the installation to the correct directory. Will be the same directory as your POL install. (Should only need to do this if you chose something other than the default installation path for POL)
6.) Open POL and update it.
7.) Profit
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-08 17:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

joy a little off topic but ... im now having issues with either spellcast (v2.47) or the actual xmls crash me - just from standing around in game not moving - it can happen as soon as i load or sometimes not for 20 mins... i will know for sure in next day which one it is but right now i think its the xmls (that ive used fine for years on w7 32) any ideas?

yes i have updated resources (ingame), i dont dc when spellcast is not on and right now im testing with spellcast on and an empty xml - so far no DC's
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-03-23 19:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

reformatted pc (3rd time) - reinstalled game fine this time lol.