Forum » FFXI » General » Recording FFXI video
Recording FFXI video
 Ragnarok.Zakules
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zakules
By Ragnarok.Zakules 2009-06-17 14:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi everyone, I just want to know if there's any program out there that's compatible with FFXI to record videos. I have heard that FRAPS sometimes work and sometimes it crashes FFXI when you start recording. I haven't tested it myself but wanted to know if anyone uses any particular one to narrow my search. Thanks in advanced for any input on this topic. ^^
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-06-17 15:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You can record with fraps, but it creates a huge video file, so you'll need another program to convdert it to a smaller fil incase you wanna put it on youtube or something for example.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-17 15:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Fraps without any issues, and would highly recommend it. If your computer is slower/older, you'll probably see some slowdown when you're recording video (I've never even attempted recording during Campaign or Besieged or anything laggy, results there would prolly be less then stellar), and you'll want to make sure that you have plenty of free space on your hard drive for the videos (they're HUGE) but once you import them into a video editing program you can shrink them down quite a bit and the quality is pretty good. I use Windows Movie Maker for the editing but a lot of people don't care for it much, there's also Pinnacle Studio and Sony Vegas for that as well.

If you want to see some examples of videos that I've done with fraps/windows movie maker, you can check them out here. The older one's are in HQ (I was recording at half size at the time) but the newest ones are in HD (full 1280x1024).
 Lakshmi.Strey
Server: Lakshmi
user: Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2009-06-17 15:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I also use fraps, but the crash thing it crashes for me when I turn on fraps while playing but if fraps is on then I load FFXI it works fine. I am on vista so it could be the OS, because it didn't do it on my XP.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-17 15:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Strey said:
I also use fraps, but the crash thing it crashes for me when I turn on fraps while playing but if fraps is on then I load FFXI it works fine. I am on vista so it could be the OS, because it didn't do it on my XP.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. I always make sure to start fraps before FFXI if I'm going to be recording any video or taking any screenshots, and if I forget, shutdown quick to start it up then restart FFXI.
 Ragnarok.Zakules
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zakules
By Ragnarok.Zakules 2009-06-17 15:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet, when I get home I'm going to try it then. Thanks for the info, specially the load before running the game tip. =)
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-06-17 16:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

only prob with fraps is, the free version only lets you take 30sec of vid at at time. i need to torrent the full version.....
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-17 16:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You may be able to find a username and password for the members downloads on BugMeNot.com

I got the full version ages ago though, occasionally it has a fit and crashes on me, but not normally anytime too dire.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-17 16:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Moondaddy said:
only prob with fraps is, the free version only lets you take 30sec of vid at at time. i need to torrent the full version.....

Yeah, I got my version from a friend of mine...

TBH, I don't know anyone that got Fraps legit lol
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-06-17 17:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i paid for my fraps, not cuz i don't torrent but i tried it liked it and was actually very pleased with it, so why not. it wasn't expensive, and a much better investment than the alla membership i had last year. half the info and walkthroughs there are wrong, 95% of the ppl there are mildly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, autistic for sure. and i should have checked it out further, cuz if i wanted to support RMT i should have just bought gil. anyway back to fraps, i use vista too but i have mine load at start up, and i haven't had any problems with it. i also use use windows movie maker to convert. but there are also plenty of video editors that are free to d/l from download.com

EDIT: in regards to alla, the walkthroughs aren't necessarily wrong but sometimes they'll be missing information or just not be very thorough for longer quests/missions.
[+]
 Remora.Kindle
Server: Remora
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-06-17 17:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fraps all the way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52V-omUFrCo
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-06-17 17:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I can help the OP I have all the files he needs...

I used to record sruff, but i kinda quit now..

I gots all the tools yo!!!! Hit me up and talk to me!
 Remora.Rhinok
Server: Remora
user: Rhinok
By Remora.Rhinok 2009-06-17 17:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Moondaddy said:

YOUR VIDZ LACK ENTERTAINMENT!
Gimme campaign battles with taru's being torn apart!!! *_*b

Nicely done stil! HD on Pc makes the console version of this game look retareded
 Carbuncle.Cianti
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-06-17 17:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fraps but a few things to be aware of.. You need to load it before FFXI. Like others have mentioned above you need to convert it into the correct format should you wanna upload on Youtube. (I personally use windows media player) Its the most basic and simple program to use. However it can be glitchy at times.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-06-17 17:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Moondaddy said:
only prob with fraps is, the free version

Wait is there a retail version ? I mean all software are free right ? Am I on the internet ?

As for starting fraps before FF XI, I don't need to do this :< Works perfectly fine even if I start fraps after. (I'm on XP)
 Carbuncle.Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-06-17 17:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Moondaddy said:

Wait is there a retail version ? I mean all software are free right ? Am I on the internet ?

As for starting fraps before FF XI, I don't need to do this :< Works perfectly fine even if I start fraps after. (I'm on XP)

I use windower it always crashes me if I load it afterwards.. The guys on Windower.net said to always load before FFXI.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-17 18:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Rhinok said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Moondaddy said:

YOUR VIDZ LACK ENTERTAINMENT!
Gimme campaign battles with taru's being torn apart!!! *_*b

Nicely done stil! HD on Pc makes the console version of this game look retareded

LOL yeah my vids are boring pretty much, nothing epic, just record it so my ls mates can look at them in 10 yeras and be like "OMFG we actually played that game?!" LOL
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-06-17 18:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cianti said:
Antipika said:
Moondaddy said:

I use windower it always crashes me if I load it afterwards.. The guys on Windower.net said to always load before FFXI.

Well I do use windower too and no crash, just did it again now :< There's another factor that makes you crash prolly.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-06-17 18:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm I use XP too. how odd.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-06-17 18:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Could be anything, another software that interfere, different hardware, etc... But fraps + windower by itself = shouldn't crash.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-06-17 18:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I stopped making videos for now.. I kinda like the 30 second record limit.. I can bounce inbetween stuff. I posted this in another thread but for those that hasn't seen it.

Carbuncle.Alessandra
user: Aless
By Carbuncle.Alessandra 2009-06-17 19:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have vista you could make some pretty awesome videos with the basic programs that came with my HP machine. It even had the perfect setting to make my video perfect in HD... (go to this video's youtube page and click HD and you'll see what I mean) :D

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [465 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-09-25 17:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro bump

Any new programs out there that are good/free?
-Torrenting Fraps
Any others?
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-09-25 17:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i torrented or paid for Dxtory (cant recall)
but enjoy it way better then fraps

doesnt cause lag while in gamplay like fraps
(even tho when watching fraps vid, lag is gone)

tried multiple things to reduce lag while recording in fraps
saving to 2nd drive, smallest size etc etc
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-09-25 17:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, i torrented Fraps, no sound but whatev's