users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Dark Potency ToM Staff
Dark Potency ToM Staff
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-17 15:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking to make a dark potency tom staff wanted to get other peops input as to whether this should be done as BLM main or SCH main?

I had a few friends do this as BLM/whm+Brd and spammed Cataclysm. Was wondering if SCH/whm+BRD would be better or worse. Taking into account adlo/regen5/voidstorm. I will likely be bringing my alt as BRD for hordelullaby/2.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-01-17 15:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I went SCH/WHM + WHM/SCH (alt), embrava, pull a bunch of mobs > cataclysm > tank them with sch and cure with WHM. Had a friend on mnk helping me for some of it too, made them drop faster.
 Bismarck.Zagen
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-01-17 16:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I did/am doing WHM/RDM Phalanx + Regen Atmas has been enough to keep me alive for small to medium pulls. If you have a mule SCH/WHM + RDM should be enough to pull a whole family in Abyssea. In any case stay away from penguins (since they're monks) and you should be able to build enough TP to spam Cataclysm.

Another idea that would work is going with a WAR and be on SCH/RDM and have the WAR do the Cataclysms with Retaliation up on top of Embrava they'll get TP much faster and Phalanx/Embrava/Regen V should be more than enough to keep them alive.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-17 16:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Zagen said: »
Another idea that would work is going with a WAR and be on SCH/RDM and have the WAR do the Cataclysms with Retaliation up on top of Embrava they'll get TP much faster and Phalanx/Embrava/Regen V should be more than enough to keep them alive.

I do have warrior leveled I forgot haha. Would WAR + alt/mule be better?
 Bismarck.Zagen
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-01-17 16:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

WAR can't use the staff so as long as the staff is for the alt/mule then yes it would be the fastest way to crank out the trials.

Edit: Just in case, if you're going the WAR route then Penguins are fine since retaliation works when taking 0 damage :)
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-17 19:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

WAR can't use the staff so as long as the staff is for the alt/mule then yes it would be the fastest way to crank out the trials.

Edit: Just in case, if you're going the WAR route then Penguins are fine since retaliation works when taking 0 damage :)
Actually that's what i meant to type yah my alt/mule has war99 so i could use him and then SCH main the staff...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Yogurt
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Yogurt 2013-01-17 20:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished mine. I just soloed it on blm with comet. usually blizzard 3 then comet would take them out, but if there was a small amount of hp left not more than 4-5% drain would take care of it (I have Excelsis Ring).
Before I would start I would get all the temps I could, ether I, II, II; Elixer I, II; mana powder; potion I, II for after convert(to save mp).
Between comet recast I would use blizz3 to weaken next mob sleep ss blink haste refresh myself. I would order my JA and items like this Manawell > Martello > convert > temp items depending on what was available.
When a 2hr chest comes up, use manawell (if its up, and I would also be more liberal with my mp such casting blizzard4 instead of 3 before popping the chest) kill next mob with comet, weaken next mob sleep, pop 2hr open chest(make sure you remove your weapon if you lock that slot if you have TP) kill mob with comet; while you are waiting for comet cool down and 2hr still up weaken and sleep a few mobs and rebuff, cast a second free comet, then you can use manawell on the next one. And of course temp chest and TE were fairly common.
When I ran out of temps I would refill them and take a short break.
use manawell every time it is available for comet, and keep haste up.
If I got a resist I would sleep it, then kill the next mob, then depending on mp I would low nuke it down then use drain or cast comet again on the one that got resisted.
Occasionally I would find people that were FC'ing the mobs I was camping and they would invite me and I would pick mobs off with drain and comet as the war killed, this saves mp big time and increases kill speed significantly.
The camps I used.
  • Frigatebirds and colibri in misx (aspir the colibri, and curor farm)

• Sea Monks in Vunk.

• Crawlers in Vunk.

• Raptors in Misx. (very good camp hardly have to move to pull mobs and tello right there)

• Leeches in Kons.(when I got here billzard II would take under~80%hp and comet would finish them, sometimes 1% hp left but drain would take care of that)

That's all the advice I have to give, in ideal conditions solo killing with comet 50 mobs in 45mins. And I used MM, Cosmos, and Beyond. Good Luck.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Yogurt
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Yogurt 2013-01-17 20:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it was, but I stuck with the grind. I was on sea monks for the longest time because I wasn't motivated. It really helps to have someone weakening mobs such as those FC groups I joined on crawlers and raptors. This was my last chance to play a lot before the semester started, so I ground it out.

Ninja edit, i just want to add its so worth it sleeps cast so insanely fast now.
By Baidos 2013-01-17 20:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

When I did it I used sch/rdm. Built azure light in abyss by doing Blizzard 4 with Beyond/hell's guardian/MM combo on atmas. I either used blizzard 1 to weaken furher or go for the kill with drain + Nocto helix if first spell left the mob anywhere around 12-8% HP. Once Azure was 250, I embrava myself, switch to blm mode and spam blizzard 2/3 + Kaustra for kill. I usualy had another 2 hour chest to repeat this over and over again after Tabula rasa ended, if not just farm another with previous killing method. Slow at the beggining it really speeds up once you start spamming kaustra every round. Phalanx helps and don't forget to use storm spells + klimaform/astetic tonic to improve dmg.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-01-18 00:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So slow. You could kaustra one shot or bliz 4 then kaustra if not a good setup in abby. Or get a blu friend. They have eyes on me dark orb and everyones grudge. So they can do darkness easy if they aoe pull. They then cw. Sub sch aoe drain aspir the weak.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-01-18 00:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yogurt said: »
I just finished mine. I just soloed it on blm with comet. usually blizzard 3 then comet would take them out, but if there was a small amount of hp left not more than 4-5% drain would take care of it (I have Excelsis Ring).
Before I would start I would get all the temps I could, ether I, II, II; Elixer I, II; mana powder; potion I, II for after convert(to save mp).
Between comet recast I would use blizz3 to weaken next mob sleep ss blink haste refresh myself. I would order my JA and items like this Manawell > Martello > convert > temp items depending on what was available.
When a 2hr chest comes up, use manawell (if its up, and I would also be more liberal with my mp such casting blizzard4 instead of 3 before popping the chest) kill next mob with comet, weaken next mob sleep, pop 2hr open chest(make sure you remove your weapon if you lock that slot if you have TP) kill mob with comet; while you are waiting for comet cool down and 2hr still up weaken and sleep a few mobs and rebuff, cast a second free comet, then you can use manawell on the next one. And of course temp chest and TE were fairly common.
When I ran out of temps I would refill them and take a short break.
use manawell every time it is available for comet, and keep haste up.
If I got a resist I would sleep it, then kill the next mob, then depending on mp I would low nuke it down then use drain or cast comet again on the one that got resisted.
Occasionally I would find people that were FC'ing the mobs I was camping and they would invite me and I would pick mobs off with drain and comet as the war killed, this saves mp big time and increases kill speed significantly.
The camps I used.
  • Frigatebirds and colibri in misx (aspir the colibri, and curor farm)

• Sea Monks in Vunk.

• Crawlers in Vunk.

• Raptors in Misx. (very good camp hardly have to move to pull mobs and tello right there)

• Leeches in Kons.(when I got here billzard II would take under~80%hp and comet would finish them, sometimes 1% hp left but drain would take care of that)

That's all the advice I have to give, in ideal conditions solo killing with comet 50 mobs in 45mins. And I used MM, Cosmos, and Beyond. Good Luck.

Good guide but for corbi birds i just did outside ah wgate. They eere so weak ajd easy to one shot
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2013-01-18 12:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR with a good PDT build and Cataclysm is the way to go . SCH or RDM on the staff . after the lead in trials you can do it all in abyssea fairly easily if the WAR has MC Ultimate and another MaB Atma like HG or Beyond . GL
 Phoenix.Aerolite
Server: Phoenix
user: Daily
By Phoenix.Aerolite 2013-01-26 22:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What I did was solo these on SCH/RDM. First, I capped Azure lights in Abyssea, then I equipped Ducal Guard/Minikin/Hell's Guardian, and pulled large groups of mobs so I could Kaustra burn them. Regen V + Embrava + Phalanx should keep you alive, and you should get a restore chest just about every pull.