users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » New Scholar
New Scholar
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-01-16 09:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for an armor set to use, about to start unlocking AF, but looks to be a 5 day chore.

At a glance, it looks like AF is about as good as it'll get till Abyssean +1's,

How does Teal Saio compare? Is 12 macc, +7 mattk and Fast Cast gonna come close to gonna touch the +15 skill bonuses AF will bring with body/legs

Or the random modifications from the Literae Attire?

I'm a bit new to mage-ing... but I'm probably approaching the limits of use that Seer's will give me :P.

~DT
 Shiva.Kuraneko
Server: Shiva
user: Kuraneko
By Shiva.Kuraneko 2013-01-16 09:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Stickied SCH guide

Pointedly, this post in the guide is a good starting point..Starting Out

I'd suggest reading through that, but in general...if stigma doesn't bother you you can get away with Teal armor with your friends or doing abyssea/dynamis content. SCH is one of those jobs that requires a massive ton of gear honestly. You'll want most of the AF/Relic/Empy armor for it, various skill gear, nuke gear, Sea obis, cure sets, stun acc. & recast sets, fast cast, ect...

Really, wear what you need to to level it to 99 in abyssea then I'd just use your COR or DRK if they're well geared already to get the gear to outfit your SCH. AF/Relic/Empy+1 and some general mage items for neck/rings/ears/waist (most to all of these can be purchased on AH) would be a minimum I'd think to use SCH effectively for general content (not high end, endgame).
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-01-16 09:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kuraneko said: »
Stickied SCH guide

Pointedly, this post in the guide is a good starting point..Starting Out

I'd suggest reading through that, but in general...if stigma doesn't bother you you can get away with Teal armor with your friends or doing abyssea/dynamis content. SCH is one of those jobs that requires a massive ton of gear honestly. You'll want most of the AF/Relic/Empy armor for it, various skill gear, nuke gear, Sea obis, cure sets, stun acc. & recast sets, fast cast, ect...

Really, wear what you need to to level it to 99 in abyssea then I'd just use your COR or DRK if they're well geared already to get the gear to outfit your SCH. AF/Relic/Empy+1 and some general mage items for neck/rings/ears/waist (most to all of these can be purchased on AH) would be a minimum I'd think to use SCH effectively for general content (not high end, endgame).

Yeah I've looked over that, though my question is for prior to +2 abyssean. THanks though for the reply.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-16 10:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If the question is what to wear while farming +2 , then sure teal, or af, naked, or another job. If the question is, what to wear for the next 6 months while complaining about not getting help and standing in Jeuno, I'd say retire the job now.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-01-16 10:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
If the question is what to wear while farming +2 , then sure teal, or af, naked, or another job. If the question is, what to wear for the next 6 months while complaining about not getting help and standing in Jeuno, I'd say retire the job now.

Nope... was the first question. thanks...
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-16 10:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

As others have said, gear wont matter that much. If I saw a scholar wearing this in a worm party or while fighting a seal NM I would probably consider it acceptable. (Edit: That is not to say this is a good set, just that since you have to start somewhere this isn't the worst place to do it.)

The 3 pieces of AF worth getting are head body and legs. teal legs are nice for nuking.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-01-16 10:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Are AF1 legs better than Portent Pants with light arts up?
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-16 10:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

For enhancing, they are equal. For healing they are better. Though they are not the best curing legs for starting out scholars (These probably are) I assume that people just starting out wont have many swaps so I put af legs in that set as an all around piece.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-01-16 10:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
For enhancing, they are equal. For healing they are better. Though they are not the best curing legs for starting out scholars (These probably are) I assume that people just starting out wont have many swaps so I put af legs in that set as an all around piece.
Yeah, I was just curious how close they were,I use Portent for enhancing and dark magic and Magavan Slops for cures.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-01-16 14:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice keep staff skill up. Shattersoul will always be at your side when in need.

One step or piece of gear at a time, you will become a fearsome force!
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-01-16 14:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
My advice keep staff skill up. Shattersoul will always be at your side when in need.

One step or piece of gear at a time, you will become a fearsome force!

Looks like i misread the sch af quest anyhow as it's game day and not jp midnight. So I should be able to get the whole set today.

At a glance, I'd think it'd hold me over till Aby armor and better stuff.

I got left over Marigna somewhere, or whatever that foods's called. Can always head to kuftal.

Thanks for the replies ^^
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [440 days between previous and next post]
By honeycomb 2014-04-01 15:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Need some help with macro's I think am trying to do to much stratagems. so am going to type a macro sets that I use and let me no if its too much I play on the x box 360 so keep that in mind please :) I did the short way of macros so there not whole lot of reading any help in writing a macro please post and thank you so I can play this job better and not get mad on macros because all the Stratagems not working right :).
For one line I try do this for AOE buffs.
Then for line 2 AOE buffs make it last longer.
Line 3 this is for when am curing people.
Line 4 is when I need light magic acc on a mob.
Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Line 4
accession Accession Celerity Celerity
/wait 1 /wait 1 /wait 1 /wait 1
Celerity Celerity Penury Rapture
/wait 1 /wait 1 /wait 1 /wait 1
Penury perpetuance Rapture Altruism
 Leviathan.Joyroth
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2014-04-01 15:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You might have your timing of the other stratagems going to fast.
/wait 2 secs might help. I think some strat animations take longer then others.
I got my macros set up for each stratagem and have the ones I pair with spells next to each other. The click as I see the animation go off.
exp: AOE Buff
ctrl1 ctrl2 ctrl3 ctrl4
Accession Perpetuance Celerity Protect V

I too play on 360 :D

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Sieha1 2014-04-01 15:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can skip the macros and just download gearswap. There are example files on BG, just update with the gear that you have and you have all your macros and fanciness done.
By worstplayer 2014-04-01 15:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on xbox too. sch is prob one of my best geared jobs, tho I still got a bit to do. just can't break a 9 sec recast on stun. what someone said earlier in this thread, about sch being one of those jobs that needs a lot of gear is true. tons of it. but thankfully, macro setup is fairly straightforward. you can set up ur sch macro set to be able to use/cast pretty much all of ur ja/spells. only ones I don't put in are stuff I only gonna use once every so often.
biggest problem with macros on xbox is with only 6 lines of text/macro, doesn't leave a lot of room for gear swap, so gotta kinda integrate them into the individual ja/spell macro itself. if I can figure out how to use my laptop properly, I'd show u my current setup
 Fenrir.Nitenichi
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Nitenichi 2014-04-01 16:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I used for years until I started using a pc. It's very in depth, while technically for Sam easily used for other jobs.Macro link...
By worstplayer 2014-04-01 16:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Macro set 1 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
wave Light Arts Sublimation Cure/buff Nukes Helstorm Enfeebs Scholar Stun Dark Arts
Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
ModusVeri Enlightenm Libra ElementSea DivineSeal Convert

Macro set 2 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Add:White Halfmp Halftime Accession Potency Doubletime Helstorm Cure/buff Stun
Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
Poisona Paralyna Blindna Silena Cursna Erase Viruna Stona Dark Arts

Macro set 3 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Add:Black halfmp halftime Manifestat Potency Skillchain Helstorm Nukes Light Arts
Sleep Dispel Sleep2 Stone5 Water5 Aero5 Fire5 Blizzard5 Thunder5 Stun

Macro set 4 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Protect5 Shell5 Blink Stoneskin Aquaveil Regen5 Adloquium Haste Light Arts
Cure Cure2 Cure3 Cure4 Erase Phalanx Klimaform Refresh Dark Arts

Macro set 5 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Sandstorm Rainstorm Windstorm Firestorm Hailstorm Thunderstorm Voidstorm Aurorastorm Light Arts
Stun Geohelix hydrohelix anemohelix pyrohelix cryohelix ionohelix noctohelix luminohelix Dark Arts

Macro set 6 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub stone3 water3 aero3 fire3 blizzard3 thunder 3 Light Arts
stun stone4 water4 aero4 fire4 blizzard4 thunder4 Dark Arts

Macro set 7 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Poison Poison2 Blind Bind Sleep Sleep2 Break Gravity Light Arts
Dispel Drain Aspir Aspir2 Bio Klimaform Blazespike Icespike Shockspike Dark Arts

Macro set 8 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Embrava AnimAugeo AnimMinuo Adloquium Klimaform Regen5 Stun Light Arts
Kaustra Drain Aspir Aspir2 Blazespike Icespike Shockspike

Macro set 9 Macro 1 Macro 2 Macro 3 Macro 4 Macro 5 Macro 6 Macro 7 Macro 8 Macro 9 Macro 10
hub Cure/buff Nukes Helstorm Enfeebs Scholar Light Arts
Stungear1 Stun DarkArts

k, bit long winded, but, essentially for hub put /macro set 1, will always take u to first line of first set. light arts + dark arts will take you to respective macro sets by using same method. pretty much same with nukes/enfeebs/sholar(I put it in there supposed to be sch only stuff but rarely use it)

Manifestation will lead u to all the spells compatable, at least from the jobs I use. accession+ cure/buff lead to same set but means can do as single target or Aoe. Stun leads to stun macro set, (still in development). Tried yo get as many spells as poss on light arts and dark arts that u need those stratagems for in the actual light/dark arts macro set. Most stratagems I've abbreviated for easy reference ie; halftime, halfmp.

Helstorm leads to macro set that has all storms + helices in one set. and that's about it. works for me but may not for you, but hope it helps. play around with it to suit ur own uses, but like I said before, biggest prob is incorporating gearswaps. oh and does leave whole of macro set 10 available for use. best of luck

didn't realise it would come out looking like this, so apologies