Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » PUP Victory Smite
PUP Victory Smite
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Chernabog
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-01-09 03:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow Puppetmasters! I've noticed a lack of WS sets being talked about; so lets get talking!

For those of us not lucky enough to get Kenkonken, we'll have to settle for Verethragna. What's the _best_ gear we could put together for VS?
By luckycharms1877 2013-01-09 04:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Tenryu+1 Augment Weapon Skill Damage+3% and Moonshade TP Bonus +25 Atk +4

This is what im thinking but Thaumas Hat may still pull ahead im not really sure.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-09 04:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Best is always going to be situational. I would consider this set a decent contender as a base line set. Thaumas head might be better, I haven't mathed it.

Edit: lucky is right about tenryu+1>abatteur, other swaps are down to the situation you are in.
By luckycharms1877 2013-01-09 04:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing about those Mustela gloves is it only gives +2 Double atk vs Myrmex +1 extra DEX, +10 Acc, +10 Atk, an of course they both get the same amount of STR. Plus i dont see Pup EVER capping atk so yea we could really use that +10 extra Atk... Well maybe if its easy prey or something. Surely nothing where you need more atk. At this point im just rambling really tired cant really explain what im trying to say night night.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-09 04:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pups can cap attack, but I agree it is more likely uncapped than capped, so you are right in using that as the better piece.
By luckycharms1877 2013-01-09 04:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
Best is always going to be situational. I would consider this set a decent contender as a base line set. Thaumas head might be better, I haven't mathed it.

Edit: lucky is right about tenryu+1>abatteur, other swaps are down to the situation you are in.

Sawtelle Set will be easier to Obtain of course. If your looking a Set where you can get the gear an not have to spend ***ton of time in VW and spending ***tons of gil to get the -1 for Tenryu +1
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-01-09 15:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd think Nematona Cap > Usu +1 for WSing? I was honestly debating between Nemetona & Thaumas for head piece. Usu +1 great for tp and evasion, sure...

luckycharms1877 said: »
Sawtelle Set will be easier to Obtain of course. If your looking a Set where you can get the gear an not have to spend ***ton of time in VW and spending ***tons of gil to get the -1 for Tenryu +1

Ya I'd rather know what the _best_ is, can just stage down depending on personal time investment in the job.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-01-09 15:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What I'm using at the moment:

(Verethragna is 90)

Myrmex doesn't exist, and my Moonshade is refresh/macc... Those are the two main improvements I can see. Add in Light belt/gorget for situations that require more accuracy.
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-01-09 17:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Why Thamaus Feet over something with str/dex? Cirq +2 str/dex 8 acc12. Seems more reliable than 3 da.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
Server: Phoenix
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-09 17:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Without agreeing or disagreeing with his choice, changing to Cirque would be +5 STR, -4 DEX, -12 attack, +10 accuracy, -3% DA
 Ragnarok.Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-01-09 17:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using 3 Thaumas pieces in this build so I get bigger set bonus: +5 to STR/DEX... The +2 feet only has a 3 STR advantage when you factor that in, and -6 DEX... Thaumas gets the added Attack and Double Attack as well- it just seemed the way to go.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-09 18:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

A Stringing Pummel set is unlikely to have enough DEX to which point losing 5-6 DEX is going to make that much of a difference in your critical hit rate.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-09 19:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd tentatively say that Thaumas is going to be best if you're farming EPs in Dynamis, leaving Cirque in the lead against virtually everything else
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-09 19:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Omodaka Sune-Ate will virtually always beat Cirque. Critical hit rate isn't doing much for you on Stringing Pummel, and you're not going to get much from stacking DEX unless you ignore all other mods.

It has a base critical hit rate of +35% (<+45% at 300 TP), so I'm actually not even convinced Moonshade will be worth it for this WS.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-01-09 20:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
I'd tentatively say that Thaumas is going to be best if you're farming EPs in Dynamis, leaving Cirque in the lead against virtually everything else

Maybe... I'm not on PUP enough or fighting anything difficult enough when I am on it to say for certain. If there is much of a difference between the damage output from either piece I don't think it would be too significant- basically, I don't think it's going to make or break a set.

Now Myrmex Mittens on the other hand... Statistically they have to drop at some point, right? Lol

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
A Stringing Pummel set is unlikely to have enough DEX to which point losing 5-6 DEX is going to make that much of a difference in your critical hit rate.
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Omodaka Sune-Ate will virtually always beat Cirque. Critical hit rate isn't doing much for you on Stringing Pummel, and you're not going to get much from stacking DEX unless you ignore all other mods.

It has a base critical hit rate of +35% (<+45% at 300 TP), so I'm actually not even convinced Moonshade will be worth it for this WS.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing Stringing Pummel, this is a Victory Smite thread.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-09 20:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure you're correct; I hadn't considered anything that wasn't already being compared

That aside, Pummel's alleged critical hit rate should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe it was adjusted, or maybe it was poorly tested, but it's pretty lackluster in practice, and most people have noticed this
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-09 20:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Victory Smite is the same as Pummel in that you're probably not going to have enough DEX for it to matter.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. For most content PUP will be facing, the DEX on Thaumas should push you into the DEX sweet zone and its remaining stats will pull it ahead.
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-01-10 04:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to head. The sample gear sets have usu +1. That doesn't make sense to me. See earlier comment about Thaumas vs. Nemetona.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-10 07:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I would feel pretty confident 4%da>4str+~9attack. I haven't done the math for that gear choice, but fStr is probably capped either way so it is just WS mod+minor pDif increase vs 4da.
 Sylph.Traxus
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-01-10 07:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
I'm sure you're correct; I hadn't considered anything that wasn't already being compared

That aside, Pummel's alleged critical hit rate should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe it was adjusted, or maybe it was poorly tested, but it's pretty lackluster in practice, and most people have noticed this

The testing was probably exclusively done on the first hit. My guess is all hits after the first have no bonus crit chance whatsoever.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-24 20:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Due to the talk over on BG about pummle being slightly ahead of smite, and my habit of trying to parse first in VW runs on my pup, I've decided to relook at my pummel set.

So far I have this

Tenryu>subligar, but atm I am wasting gil on other things.

Things i'm relatively sure on, but would like a 2nd opinion:
Rajas>Spiral.
Nefarious>tjurkpa medal>justicar's

Things i'm not very sure on and am basically guessing atm: Feet, Omo vs thaumas seems to entirely depend on targets dex. Worth trying to dDex cap on stuff like Pil/Qilin/Uptala?
Moonshade earring seems like it wouldn't be very good given how little tp improves SP's critrate, but I'm not sure.
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-02-04 07:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

For Stringing, Tjurkpa seems better than Nefarious... +12 attribute boost.
 Asura.Rucks
Server: Asura
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2013-02-04 07:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

~.~ Never mind... No sleep is bad for brain.
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-02-08 06:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Gorgets... Do they affect every hit in a WS, or just the first?

Edit: I know wiki says acc is on other hits, but "some amount"... so is it the same? Does it deplete? Does the fTP matter past the first hit? If so, does it affect the other hits? Etc...

Edit 2: Ah, reading! Ok, so fTP is only on the first hit. Lets assume acc is same over all hits... So this leads to...

Eikechi, you said (I think in the TP thread) that Gorgets were best in slot for WSing, and that you had a math person with you. Did you guys take this into account? Does the 0.1 fTP on 1 hit really outweigh the STR & Atk & DEX & etc of other options? I'm not good with calculations (or rather, I suppose I'm just lazy and don't want to do the work for it...), but I'd like someone to explain this to me how it's better so that I understand.

Thank you.
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-17 22:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ningyotsukai said: »
Gorgets... Do they affect every hit in a WS, or just the first?

Edit: I know wiki says acc is on other hits, but "some amount"... so is it the same? Does it deplete? Does the fTP matter past the first hit? If so, does it affect the other hits? Etc...

Edit 2: Ah, reading! Ok, so fTP is only on the first hit. Lets assume acc is same over all hits... So this leads to...

Eikechi, you said (I think in the TP thread) that Gorgets were best in slot for WSing, and that you had a math person with you. Did you guys take this into account? Does the 0.1 fTP on 1 hit really outweigh the STR & Atk & DEX & etc of other options? I'm not good with calculations (or rather, I suppose I'm just lazy and don't want to do the work for it...), but I'd like someone to explain this to me how it's better so that I understand.

Thank you.

I completely missed this post, sorry man.. Aus said that nem cap and gorget was basically best for content pup is used for. Since pup isn't in legion, I think the max sets are a bit different. I'm honestly not sure how they are, but Aus is pretty solid with math on 99% of the stuff they calculate out for.