Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » The Parthenon: A Warrior's Kyklos
The Parthenon: A Warrior's Kyklos
First Page 2 3 ... 55 56 57 ... 224 225 226
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-25 13:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

still working on war tp set but havnt been able to be on to much lately. So figured id at least look in to a Ws for alts war. Thinking upheavel. Atm hes just fighting xp mobs. Is it just a full on vit build?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-28 16:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
still working on war tp set but havnt been able to be on to much lately. So figured id at least look in to a Ws for alts war. Thinking upheavel. Atm hes just fighting xp mobs. Is it just a full on vit build?

bump
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-07-30 21:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

How does Devivifier fare in today's GA arsenal? Is the DA dmg +15 an actual +15 dmg to a DA hit or something else (percentage)?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-31 16:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

well now im back to chosing ws again along with finding a ws set.
Was looking at the standard ukkos and upheavel. But i was on main char war in aby to get some items for upgrade. Forgot a GA but i had my drks GS on my so i used that. Resolution was doing pretty good to. And just a little bit ago someone suggested a fencer war. 1-hand sword+shield zerg style with the job ability fencer; Using ws Vorpal blade.
Some help/guidance would be appreciated!
 Bismarck.Marmite
Server: Bismarck
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-07-31 17:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't do Escha, so there maybe better gear from there.

Ukko's: Yetshila +1, Boii Mask +1, Fotia gorget, Moonshade Earring, Brutal Earring, Acro Surcoat, Yorium Gauntlets, Ifrit Ring +1, Ifrit Ring +1, Mauler's Mantle, Windbuffet Belt +1, Boii Cuisses +1, Boii Calligae +1

For Acro Surcoat aug +20 acc/att, DA+3% and +10 STR if you can, if not Crit DMG is a little behind.

For Yorium Gauntlets +20 acc/att, DA+3% and STR augments.

Acro Surcoat can be swapped with Yorium Cuirass (acc/att, DA and STR) if you don't need the extra attack or accuracy.

Upheaval: Ravager's Orb/Oneiros Pebble, Boii Mask +1/Yorium Barbuta, Fotia gorget, Moonshade Earring, Brutal Earring, Yorium Cuirass, Yorium Gauntlets, Titan Ring +1, Spiral Ring, Mauler's Mantle/Iximulew Cape, Windbuffet Belt +1/Fotia Belt, Yorium Cuisses/Boii Cuisses +1, Yorium Sabatons

Yorium ideally +20 acc/att, DA+3 and +10 VIT. Boii Mask +1 and Boii Cuisses +1 are very close to max yorium augs.

As always a few pieces can vary depending on your target and/or gear available. If I'm doing CP solo, I generally use Macbain and Resolution as I'm not making skill chains.
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-07-31 17:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Resolution: Ravager's Orb, Boii Mask +1, Fotia Gorget, Brutal Earring, Yorium Cuirass, Yorium Gauntlets, Ifrit Ring +1, Ifrit Ring +1, Mauler's Mantle, Fotia Belt, Boii Cuisses +1, Acro Leggings

Yorium and Acro augments, +20 acc/att, DA+3%, +10 STR.

There are a couple of +5 STR ammo pieces you can use when attack is capped, but I just don't have the inventory space. Again Acro Surcoat if you need the extra att/acc.

Breeze, Thunder & Soil are alternatives to Fotia, but you must use them for both neck and waist slots, because they are way ahead of anything else.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-31 21:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Was looking at the standard ukkos and upheavel. But i was on main char war in aby to get some items for upgrade. Forgot a GA but i had my drks GS on my so i used that. Resolution was doing pretty good to. And just a little bit ago someone suggested a fencer war. 1-hand sword+shield zerg style with the job ability fencer; Using ws Vorpal blade.

Not vorpal but Savage Blade. WAR/<whatever> with 550JP, Emp 119 legs and moonshade you get 950 TP Bonus which jacks Savage into stupid territory. 10.9 ~ 11 fTP, almost all of it on the first hit and subject to +WSD, on a WS with 50% STR / MND. It beats vorpal pretty badly. Similarly Mistral Axe works the same way. I've gone WAR/DNC (haste samba) on various events and spammed Savage for silly numbers (10~15K) just to see how it does, and was extremely surprised. I knew it would be good but didn't realize how good.

Did you guys know that you can proc a retribution off a shield block? WAR with a blurred shield blocks fairly often, though it was never my intention to play defensively. Turns WAR into a pretty hard to kill melee (when you would use melee's that is <.<).

SE needs to fix GAXE and GSWD to be competitive gain.
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-07-31 22:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with great sword (macbain) at all, resolution is fantastic. The only problem is the weapon skill properties.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-01 00:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Not vorpal but Savage Blade. WAR/<whatever> with 550JP, Emp 119 legs and moonshade you get 950 TP Bonus which jacks Savage into stupid territory. 10.9 ~ 11 fTP, almost all of it on the first hit and subject to +WSD, on a WS with 50% STR / MND. It beats vorpal pretty badly. Similarly Mistral Axe works the same way. I've gone WAR/DNC (haste samba) on various events and spammed Savage for silly numbers (10~15K) just to see how it does, and was extremely surprised. I knew it would be good but didn't realize how good.

Did you guys know that you can proc a retribution off a shield block? WAR with a blurred shield blocks fairly often, though it was never my intention to play defensively. Turns WAR into a pretty hard to kill melee (when you would use melee's that is <.<).

so how do they all compare now a days? GA, GS, Sword/shield
Mainly planing for alt to kill xp mobs but maybe enter some shouts some time. Need to decide on weapon type and ws to build sets on. Currently building tp set and upgrading emp to 119 (if i ever get vagary) so i can still adjust at this point.
By Elazar1 2015-08-03 20:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have any upto date ukon war to sets, would like to get it back upto date. Lol
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-04 12:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

so how do they all compare now a days? GA, GS, Sword/shield
Mainly planing for alt to kill xp mobs but maybe enter some shouts some time. Need to decide on weapon type and ws to build sets on. Currently building tp set and upgrading emp to 119 (if i ever get vagary) so i can still adjust at this point.

Depends on buffs and what your goal is. If your doing multi-step SC's then GAXE is your only choice. The best 2H damage option is tie between Macbain and Rag depending on exact buffs, though Macbain wins in most situations you'll find yourself in (high attack / capped accuracy), WAR doesn't find themselves in many situations with 1 ~ 1.3 Ratio and 50~85% accuracy. In pure damage it's mostly between Savage Blade spam and Resolution Spam. GSWD gets 10% haste from hasso, Sword gets 5% from Haste Samba but also gives that to other people. MSBR zerg favors Savage pretty heavily with how Warcry works. My personal experience is that Sangarius +1 / Blurred works the best over my perfect augment Macbain. Accuracy might be an issue though so something like a Dex Uson might be better.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Sangarius_%2B1
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Blurred_Shield

At capped JP WAR and that shield your looking at +8% WSD and might get more from other slots, all of it applies to that first big hit. Warcry gives you another 700TP for a total of +1650 on a WS that scales like Rudra's for 12.5 on the first hit. The weakness is that Sword has pretty bad SC possibilities, Savage is Fragmentation and Vorpal can make Fusion off RLB, but that's a pretty sketchy SC. Axe has better and mistral scales like Savage does, but your still stuck doing silly things for multi-step SC. GAXE is far better for multi-step SC's.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-08-05 01:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Vorpal can't make Fusion off Red Lotus Blade; you're stuck using Circle Blade.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-05 05:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah just noticed that Impaction was it's B property, Scission is it's A. Just further puts Savage into the (not going for SC) camp.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-05 05:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Been a while since I played WAR but from what you're saying, it sounds like sword + shield is a legitimate thing with gifts, the 980 gift pushing total potential Fencer TP bonus to 1010.

As a PLD main I have plenty of experience with Savage Blade stupidity once it gets into 2000TP+ territory, add in the large amount of native DA and the crit rate and damage boosts from gear, traits and gifts I can see why Savage Blade would be attractive.

So I suppose what I'm wondering, what situations do you bring fencer WAR, what situations do you use GS and is GA use dead?

WAR was always one of my favourite jobs to play, it's one that I would love to get back up to scratch.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-05 12:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
So I suppose what I'm wondering, what situations do you bring fencer WAR, what situations do you use GS and is GA use dead?

WAR is kind of stuck right now. It's a powerful and very versatile DD but the content we're doing is all centered around having as few melee in range of the dangerous NM as possible. That being said, Sword + Shield is your best combo for just spamming a WS or if your partner is using a Fusion WS. Axe / Shield is almost as strong due to Mistral Axe scaling like Savage does, Mistral is Fusion so it's useful if your partner is using a Fragmentation SC, also Cloud Splitter can be buffed into stupid territory like all Magic WS. Great Axe wins if you are going to be doing multi-part light SCs, Ukko's -> Steel Cyclone -> Upheaval -> Ukko's -> Ukko's is a five part double light SC. This leaves Great Sword kind of out in the cold though Ragnarok can do a five step double light SC, not as powerful as Great Axe's though (Resolution -> Ground Strike -> Scourge -> Resolution -> Scourge).

All those options are fairly close to each other and highly dependent on your target / buff / strategy situation.
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-08-05 13:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Exp/CP mobs are dead after one resolution and you are sure to get 1k tp faster with macbain than you are with a sword or axe, regardless of fencer CP bonus. So GS is better for solo exp/cp (better accuracy as well).

For something that matters, or you are solo DD on or need a SC, then GA with single/double light options is the correct choice.

I don't really see where Sword/Shield comes into play, in all honesty, unless you are bashing a static enemy without any other DD and excluding skill chains (reive?).

Skill chains are a thing and people need to understand this.

Math may put sword/axe shield ahead, but in reality it doesn't really have a use currently, for warrior.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-05 15:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Exp/CP mobs are dead after one resolution and you are sure to get 1k tp faster with macbain than you are with a sword or axe, regardless of fencer CP bonus. So GS is better for solo exp/cp (better accuracy as well).

Depends on the mob and whether if your buffed or not. Doing bats in Woh gates your not one shoting them with resolution. With Savage I was one shoting them. Resolution's attack penalty matters when your not being super buffed, and against those mobs your not hitting over 1.5 ~ 1.8 ratio consistently. Gets worse if your doing bunnies / worms. Now head over to DC mobs, then your slaughtering them with one WS on virtually any job so it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Math may put sword/axe shield ahead, but in reality it doesn't really have a use currently, for warrior.

Really depends what your doing. Screwing around with friends, doing Delve I / II, Escha tier I / II or other "not perfect setup" friendly events then it's silly fun and effective. If the event is serious, your not bringing Warrior to begin with. That's what is messed up with this game right now, events where maximum damage and strategy matter, your not bringing heavy DD's because they require too much support and nurse maiding vs nukers / pet jobs. Hell my BLU see's more use out of it's clubs then my Tizona and that job is in a far better DD position then Warrior currently is.

So we come up with fun setups to do content that we are relevant on. And seriously, 10~13K savages vs 6~8K reso's / 4~6K Ukko's. These are averages from non-supper buffed scenarios, it's just silly how SE hasn't updated the 2H WS's to have decent fTP values.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2015-08-05 15:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear you! Broke my heart when I came back to the game. I left in the days of seeing shouts for Ukkon WAR!
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-08-05 15:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I know right, it's shocking how much neglect 2 handers (except sam) have received. I really do cry about it everyday I log in. /sadface

Edit: Are SE are completely clueless about this situation?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2015-08-05 15:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

They have always loved SAM bro. Our 119 ukkons not that important anymore..
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-08-05 15:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Also another thing if I solo CP, it's mostly outer raz, mainly because I can semi afk as it's so easy, so mobs would be a lot lower level, making reso probably better. Generally making reso a one shot. So absolutely agree on your target/mob comments.
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-08-05 15:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »

Ukon can still be a killer of a weapon though! It can't be much behind Conq with empy gear.

Edit: Last I looked it was 45:55, white to ws damage with AM3 up and Empy 5/5 will only boost that so can't see it being much behind conq.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2015-08-05 15:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but compared to other WS. When I first got back I saw a THF do Rudras. I was WTF!
 Bismarck.Marmite
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-08-05 16:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think war is technically better at double light than sam, in terms of raw base power, its just that sam has traits to buff it insanely (break it). Overwhelm, WSD, SCD.

Edit: WSD means a lot more on a one hit ws.

Edit2: Rudras is broken as hell still lol.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-05 21:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Marmite said: »
I think war is technically better at double light than sam, in terms of raw base power, its just that sam has traits to buff it insanely (break it). Overwhelm, WSD, SCD.

Edit: WSD means a lot more on a one hit ws.

Edit2: Rudras is broken as hell still lol.

WAR's five hit is more potent then SAM's due to the WS selection being stronger. SAM ends up being better because it's JA / JT selection caters specifically to doing multi-step SC's. They were practically designed from the ground up to do it, while WAR's ability to do it was an accident of developer design. Upheavel could of just as easily been a fragmentation, gravitation or distortion WS, which would of prevented WS from every doing multi-stage SC's.

Quote:
Ukon can still be a killer of a weapon though! It can't be much behind Conq with empy gear.

Edit: Last I looked it was 45:55, white to ws damage with AM3 up and Empy 5/5 will only boost that so can't see it being much behind conq.

Last I looked I believe a well augmented Svargas or Router wins for pure damage, even with AM3. When SE updated RME to 119 they really *** up by making their DMG values far too low. Ukko's is a pretty bad WS now, two hit with 2.0 fTP on first hit is crap, Upheavel isn't much better though. Resolution rocks pretty hard but suffers if your not receiving buffs. Then you look at CDC, Savage, Rudras, Mistral, Rampage, Evisceration, and PK and go WTF. GKT WS's aren't even that good, it's just that SAM is designed around vomiting so many of them that sheer volume outweighs all other 2H jobs. SAM is like the Chinese of FFXI DD jobs.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-05 21:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
I would argue War was shown the most love by SE compared to any other DD, including Sam. Until SoA the job was basically top tier DD for the entirety of FFXI.

#1 during the DW times.

Pretty equal with Sam after the 2 handed update, Relic Sam and Drk changed this a bit but relics were still hard to get.

#1 through all of abyssea.

Even after the Ukkos nerf still contended with Drk during Voidwatch days and was better in a lot of fights.

It was just so powerful to begin with and when the meta changed it tended to fit into them very well. It may have not got as much continual updates as Sam but Sam was also pretty bad for pre-2hander update, all of abyssea, and the start of SoA. It wasn't even that amazing during VW, tending to need a Koga to compete with War or Drk.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-05 21:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
It wasn't even that amazing during VW, tending to need a Koga to compete with War or Drk.

There was a brief time after Ukko's nerf when TP bonus GK Shoha SAM was very competitive with WAR and DRK, but it was never really better than either until they unlocked Empy WS and broke Fudo.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-05 21:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
It wasn't even that amazing during VW, tending to need a Koga to compete with War or Drk.

There was a brief time after Ukko's nerf when TP bonus GK Shoha SAM was very competitive with WAR and DRK, but it was never really better than either until they unlocked Empy WS and broke Fudo.
I remember the Shoha and TP bonus GKT bandwagon but I never found it to really be competitive with Ukkos War or Reso Drk/War at the time. Maybe thats just me.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-08-09 13:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I remember the Shoha and TP bonus GKT bandwagon but I never found it to really be competitive with Ukkos War or Reso Drk/War at the time. Maybe thats just me.

It's not just you. GKT was still behind at that point by a chunk
 Cerberus.Fiasko
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Fiasko 2015-08-09 13:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Torn between crit rate build with rancor collar or defiant necklace.

Crit builds suck, goes doubly for Crit Hit Damage. Change all that Acro CHD into +DA or +STP depending on what your x-hit is looking like. Even with AM3 up, DA still adds ~some~ amount of damage while CHD is so small that it's only useful in large quantities, like that from the Emp feet. This is because CHD is a percentage of a percentage, waters down the effect. DA +3 / Store TP +6 will generally give you more damage per slot.

Except Crit Dmg doesn't take up stp or da slot. It overwrites the STR/DEX.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 55 56 57 ... 224 225 226