users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Aithon vs Anni
Aithon vs Anni
 Ramuh.Pyromaster
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
By Ramuh.Pyromaster 2012-12-23 01:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

so i noticed the multi-attack path for gun look rather impressive, does anyone knows purely on damage how close Aithon comes to anni, i know it loses out by not having the same hate control, but i just want to know damage wise if it can compete, thats for both double damage gun and OaT gun
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-12-23 01:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think the double shot ability stacks with multi-shot weapons, which means you are sacrificing double shot on a higher damage weapon to get double shot on a lower damage weapon.

I'm not sure about the ODD.
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2012-12-23 01:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of time/effort you could make a level 90 Armageddon while farming dynamis for Annihilator.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-12-23 01:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, no it can't "compete," but that doesn't mean it's a bad gun. I really have no experience with the magian guns other than relic/empyrean upgrades but the OaT one doesn't look that bad. I would go for that one or the STR trial one.

But yeah, I would just upgrade an armageddon or something if you can.
 Ramuh.Pyromaster
By Ramuh.Pyromaster 2012-12-23 02:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

so you all agree that arma would beat the occ double damage gun? it gets enough STP for 4 hit just from wearing relic head +2 and hands and legs, and i imagine the double damage (assuming the proc rate is decent) would cover the damage lost from not having the 15 AGI for crits and last stand, also this is assuming your not using wildfire because your just spamming LS
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2012-12-23 02:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make an Annihilator if you are wanting to put so much effort into a gun.
 Ramuh.Pyromaster
By Ramuh.Pyromaster 2012-12-23 02:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i guess thats the only real solution :/ thanks anyway
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-12-23 02:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Since magian, empy and relic require 3 separate paths.... The only thing they share is time. If time isn't of the essence got for them all and decide for yourself.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-12-23 03:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The OA?? weapons start off the same as the Empereans, so there's a little overlap there. I'd really say just build an Armageddon if you're gonna do any of the Gun trials (relic trials aside).
Personal opinion: If time is no factor, just build Annihilator, Gandiva and Armageddon and you've covered every known base for RNG. There's not much need to veer from those three, imo.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-30 08:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an extremely difficult time believing that Annihilator beats occ. atks 2-4x gun by any decent margin. Properly calculating it would require the exact distribution of attack rounds, but consider the main stats:

-Last Stand will gain over 200 base damage from equipment/base stats.
-You have dmg:148 on Aithon+Adaman, compared to Annihilator's 203. After factoring fSTR2, you're probably losing about 1/4 of your damage on TP and 1/8 on WS.
-Annihilator is 13.4% faster.
-Annihilator has 40 ranged accuracy, 30 ranged attack.
-Annihilator has 13.3% triple damage.
-Double Shot is ~40%.

If you were to make a sample distribution of 40% single, 30% double, 20% triple, 10% quad you'd have an average of:

.4 * 2 = .8(double shot)
.6 * ((.4 * 1) + (.3 * 2) + (.2 * 3) + (.1 * 4)) = 1.2(OAT)

You have 2/1.4 = 42.8% more shots with that distribution. You still have a 4hit, and you don't need to rely on recycle hat for it. In reality, due to the fact you're not loading the weapon the instant the last shot is done, you're looking at a smaller delay difference than the quoted 13.4%(A static delay applied to both benefits OA4).

It's entirely possible the distribution is much worse than my sample or I'm missing something entirely, but it looks competitive(if not better) to me in capped accuracy situations. In uncapped accuracy or particularly low attack situations, annihilator will clearly pull ahead.

(I'd still say you're better off making an annihilator, killing that many trash mobs would take forever, not to even speak of ammo cost while making it and while using it. I just don't think that people are being fair when dismissing it as an option.)
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-12-30 08:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(I'd still say you're better off making an annihilator, killing that many trash mobs would take forever, not to even speak of ammo cost while making it and while using it. I just don't think that people are being fair when dismissing it as an option.)

Stated yourself partially why it's dismissed so quickly.

Plus that still leaves you without a Purple-and-Black hateless Doomcloud
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-30 09:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Based off those numbers, OA2-4 would be the winner most of the time.

Anni: 1.2 average shots per /ra (Double Shot has a recast)
OA2-4: 2 average shots per /ra

Double Shot does nothing for you with the OA2-4 assuming the listed distribution is correct. It probably is not, as dagger OA2-4 testing has shown about 1.9 attacks per round instead of the 2 assumed here. That would put the shots per /ra at 1.92 with Double Shot half of the time. Because we want to favor Anni with this and I'd like to ignore the possibility of Unlimited Shot, lets use the lower number here.

Assuming an arbitrary 6 fSTR2:
1.92*154/660 = 0.448 damage per delay
(.133*3+.867)*1.2*206/582 = 0.538 damage per delay including triple procs

I believe it is typical for Rangers to 5-hit WSs
OA2-4 : 2.38 rounds to 100TP with Double Shot up; 2.5 rounds to 100TP with it down (this is a byproduct of the fact that 2x2 rounds gets you 100TP with a 5-hit.) :: 2.44 rounds per WS average
Anni : 3.058 rounds to 100TP with Double Shot up; 4 rounds to 100TP with it down :: 3.53 rounds per WS average

Anni has a 20% DPS advantage, but you WS 45% more often with the OA2-4 gun. Overall, I would say that the OA2-4 gun can be at least as good as Anni for damage, but I wouldn't prefer it given Anni's versatility and the fact that bullet costs will inevitably add up.
By Aeyela 2012-12-30 09:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Barrage? It surely should be a factor when comparing these two guns. The OAT effect does not cause double damage anywhere in a barrage (At least, as far as I know) so it will always be limited to the base damage x#, # being number of hits landed. Annihilator will drastically out damage the significantly weaker damage per shot of the barrage, before you even factor in the chance of a double or triple damage Barrage.

182 base damage on the Aithon OAT with Adaman, Vs 203 damage on Annihilator, not including the bonuses from the +30 Ranged Attack either. With Annihilator you have a chance of double or triple damage but even before this the difference in barrages could be enormous, sufficiently enough to claw back any advantage Aithon might be getting from its more regular TP gain.

Substitute the OAT for the OA2-4 and the gap on barrage would become even bigger. Any advantage based on shots fired and TP gain could be undone with a single barrage before you even factor the double and triple damage.