AGI= Ranged Attack Critical Rate?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » AGI= Ranged attack critical rate?
AGI= Ranged attack critical rate?
 Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: hyunkyl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl 2012-12-05 16:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks to Melphina for the testing:

Forgive me if this is something that was proven long ago, but I've been unable to pull up any data on exactly which stat affects ranged critical hit rate. I asked a member on my linkshell earlier tonight and he referenced a test done on bg a long time ago using thunder staff (simply because no other weapon has dex, not that it affects ranged crit. We all know that thunder staff only affects its own crit hit rate) and stated that dex was tested to be the ranged crit hit stat just like it was to melee. I've always been curious about this but it was never something I could test well enough with my gear at 75, and I didn't feel like running to a zone for a few hours of shooting to try and see.

Well anyway, I've almost built a level 80 Gandiva now and so curiosity got the best of me and I decided to test out what stat boosts ranged crit rate. I chose a setup that made it easy to do.

-----------------
The Test

Target Mob == Mamool Ja Lurker (Mamool camp outside the Jade Sepulcher)

Mob Level == 81, 82 or 83
Mob agility == 97

I performed the test with my level 99 thief/dancer
My base dexterity == 113
My base agility == 97
------------------------
The test and its results

Parse Data Screenshot

The dex test is actually on the lower half of the screenshot, but I have it labeled appropriately. You can tell which is which by looking at my ranged hit rate as well. The gear changes I made for the AGI test put me at the hit rate cap, but I only had 85% ranged accuracy with my dexterity set.

Part 1: Dexterity Test

My base agility was 97, and the mobs base agility was also 97. Since we had equal base AGI testing for dex was simple. I equipped my twashtar, thunder thokcha, love torque, pixie and hollow, raiders vest and armlets +2, rajas ring, cuchulain belt, athos legs, and rogue's poulaines. I also had to eat a squid sushi because I didn't have my ranged acc set on me and they have a lot of evasion.

My total dex was 113 + 79 == 192 Dexterity.
The only source of agility I had was the squid sushi +1, so I had 97 + 5 == 102 agility.

HYPOTHESIS: Since my dexterity was 90 higher than the mobs agility if dexterity affected ranged critical hit rate I should have a capped ranged critical hit rate of 25% (20% native plus 5% with merits).

The Results:
After I landed 303 ranged attacks my ranged crit rate was only 11.5%. After the first hundred hits were in the percentage never rose beyond 13.5%, and never dipped below 11%. It stabilized over the last 200 hits with only minor fluctuations of. By the last 50 hits the crit rate fluctuated less than 1%, so it wasn't going to change by much after that point.

Conclusion: Dexterity does NOT affect ranged critical hit rate

-------
Part 2: Agility Test

I didn't have as extensive an agility set on me available to me, but for the AGI test I used ocelo headpiece, arctiers torque, altdorfs and wildhelms earrings, kudzu aketon, alruna's gloves, stormsoul ring, ambushers hose, and athos's boots, and 5 more agi from my sushi.

My total agility was 97 + 77 = 174 AGI
My dexterity was 113 + 26 = 139 (At this point I had already ruled dex out as a possibility, but the total dex I had in part 2 was still 53 less than part 1).

The Results: After 312 hits I had a ranged crit rate of 18.5%. Like the first test, after the first 100 hits the percentages fluctuated mildly, peaking at 19.5% and ebbing at about 18.0%. The final 50 hits mimicked the first test, and the crit rate stabilized at about 18.5%.

Conclusion: Agility DOES affect ranged critical hit rate

-------------------------------------------
Closing Commentary

Although I significantly boosted my ranged crit rate with +77 agility over mobs agility, I was not at the cap. I can only assume this means that ranged crit rate is a check of player agility versus mobs dexterity. Mamool Lurkers have 97 AGI, but their DEX is unknown. Thieves always have a higher Dex than AGI, and is eaily going to break 100. I ran a very small sample size after the second test with only +67 agility instead of +77 by swapping my athos boots to fajin. I didn't save the parse but after only 70 hits the ranged crit rate was around 13%. That sample size was too small to determine anything conclusively, but it does indicate a probable exponential curve similar to the dexterity curve, wherein +40 agility over mobs dexterity does little and the final 10 dexterity shows a 1% increase in ranged crit rate. That however is just conjecture and should not be taken as anything but a theory without a larger sample size.

Edit: originally the parse link was broken. After noticing that I fixed it and it works now.

Your opionions on this?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-05 16:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice to finally see confirmation. This was proposed in the first precise NA critical hit rate testing thread. It would be interesting to see it worked out absolutely.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-05 16:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely has much worse "tiers" than dDEX does, if it actually works in a similar way, which shouldn't be terribly surprising. Looks about half as effective.

I had noticed that, on level-1 mobs while doing some other tests, my crit rate was almost floored. Should look into that some more if I unlazy myself
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-12-05 17:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I did a test on Jupiter's and /ra back at 85 or 90 cap and came out with ~10% critrate against level 0 monsters, so you definitely need a ridiculous amount of AGI to get a decent ranged critrate. Honestly makes Jishnu's DEX mod even worse if you think about it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-05 17:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking at what little data I have and can find floating around, it looks almost like this thing could be as low as 15% or so as effective as dDEX. Kinda unfortunate.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-05 17:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Looking at what little data I have and can find floating around, it looks almost like this thing could be as low as 15% or so as effective as dDEX. Kinda unfortunate.
tbh, i doubt it would have changed anything as far as gear sets go anyways.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-05 17:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah absolutely not, but it's mind boggling how unfortunate they've actually got ranged crits set up. Not only are they not nearly as good as melee crits to begin with, but the frequency at which they occur is significantly lower as a result of this here.
By Aeyela 2012-12-05 17:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So tl;dr, Ranged Crit builds are a waste of time? Mid-Dyna Bastok right now so I'll have a thorough read through later.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-05 17:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess to be fair they've always been a waste of time anyways.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-12-05 17:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess to be fair they've always been a waste of time anyways.

This would be considered blasphemy a couple of years ago!
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
Server: Cerberus
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-12-05 18:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

at least you can favor agi instead of dex for barrage, after str of course.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-05 18:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Honestly makes Jishnu's DEX mod even worse if you think about it.

Feels like some jackass programmer got it backwards on Kannagi and Gandiva's mods.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rearden
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-12-05 18:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Now I feel almost bad for trolling people on the OF about this.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-05 18:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

or they were just on some really heavy drugs
 Lakshmi.Rearden
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-12-05 18:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-05 18:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So with stats being all weird on RA like this, would this make DEX mod TP feed from arrows? lol
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2012-12-05 19:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Great testing!

So, current speculation is Rcrit % is based on your AGI / mob's DEX?

So wouldn't a decent test be AGI build vs. something way TW with known DEX? I mean so far outclassed that if this is the answer you are beyond maxing Rcrit?

It seems to me that something like Attoawa Flesh Eaters, even if their DEX is unknown, would fall into that class for anyone L 99 who can equip an appropriate ranged weapon.

No windower or I'd do it.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-12-05 19:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Honestly makes Jishnu's DEX mod even worse if you think about it.

Sorta, but most of the good slot pieces for JR have AGI on them (Tessera, Thaumas Head, Myrmex) so you'd still get a good amount of AGI+ with it.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
Server: Phoenix
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-08 06:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh... so this makes Wanion Belt a bad belt for Barrage. Gonna have to look into my gear set a bit better now.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-08 07:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. you're getting basically nothing out of the crits to begin with (ranged crits are ***compared to melee ones, 25% flat boost to damage on that hit), and from the looks of it you gain a very small amount of crit rate out of AGI. Wouldn't bother changing anything around.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
Server: Phoenix
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-08 07:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well... seems to me the only good stats on wanion Belt are Str 8, and it has -5 AGI. Why not just use Prosilo with Str 9?
 Diabolos.Yugl
Server: Diabolos
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2012-12-08 07:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand why you're suggesting AGI v DEX check when calculating critical hit rate.

102 AGI: 11.5% Critical hit rate
164 AGI: 13.0% Critical hit rate
174 AGI: 18.5% Critical hit rate

If rCrit works like melee crits with AGI replacing DEX, then a d72DEX between sets should show a substantial increase towards CritHR. If we compare reasonable mob values, you should have hit that as well (LV75 content mob with over 124DEX? Doubt). Once we throw the prevailing model out (Which we should) for rCrit, we lack the support to suggest a vDEX check as opposed to vAGI check.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-08 07:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely something up with it since it's not easy to cap on even lv0 mobs... if there is a cap. Might have something to do with levels, who knows.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-12-08 08:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. you're getting basically nothing out of the crits to begin with (ranged crits are ***compared to melee ones, 25% flat boost to damage on that hit), and from the looks of it you gain a very small amount of crit rate out of AGI. Wouldn't bother changing anything around.

Dead aim

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Dead_Aim
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-12-08 08:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

Dead aim

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Dead_Aim

Dayum SE, make it apply to ws's! Still helps TP i know but would be sweet with weaponskills
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-08 08:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think people have tested whether or not it applies to Barrage either.

...but Ranged Crits at level 99 give Damage*1.25*1.45 = Damage*1.8125

That's still less than the improvement melee see from critical hits against high level targets even without Critical Hit Damage equipment.
 Valefor.Angeluzun
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2012-12-08 09:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
That's still less than the improvement melee see from critical hits against high level targets even without Critical Hit Damage equipment.

This is barance
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-08 09:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It would probably be worth testing to see if it applies to ranged WS, could still use DEX there (hence the mod on Jishnu's).
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-08 09:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this will be what I AFK test today. Delay conversion rates is getting boring and doesn't make much sense.