New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Ranger guns and atma questions
Ranger guns and atma questions
First Page 2
By Nephlum00 2012-11-19 00:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, I have a few questions about ranger. I'm having trouble finding a good gun that can drop from a aby mob that will do me till i finish my anni. I am working on Arma too but it still takes time and I want to play with last stand till I finish them. I can do about 2k-2.8k in dyna with a heavy crossbow+1 and crap bolts but thats blasphemy of some sort I'm sure.

Next question is what atma is best for Last stand. I've been reading the other threads but no one seems to have an ideal atma set. I've been using RR GH and SS and crit WS's but they still do ***dmg.

sorry for the long post but I need help <3
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-11-19 00:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

you dont rng in abyssea, so atma is void.

you can get a phineus' gun from celaeno vw, and thats all i can really think of for marksmanship. basically just finish armageddon? or find the highest base dmg gun off the ah
By Nephlum00 2012-11-19 00:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Rng in aby for merits and when I wanna just DD when everything is covered. I like the job so why not play it. Even in aby lol
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-11-19 00:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

then arching arrow/heavy shot, or refulgent arrow build will be what you wanna do. crit is likeyou said, RR/GH/SS, refulgent is str modded so i guess VV and other str atmas?
By Nephlum00 2012-11-19 00:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I just heard that people do 4-6k Last Stands. But I guess I'll just stick to 2k crit WS's. Sucks RNG can't do better than that. Thanks
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-11-19 01:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Those 4-6k ws's are probably coming from people with a decent gun just as you could hit higher than 2k crit ws's with a decent bow and it's hard to come by a suitable 'free' version of either.
By Nephlum00 2012-11-19 01:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

im just using a vision bow and antlion arrows. dont have anything good for marksmanship. But doing 2-2.8k outside aby on DC mobs you would think i could do more in aby. I've only been a RNG for about 2 months so I have really no idea what I'm talking about(really). just going off what I think is logic lol which we all know logic is hard to find in the normal ffxi player
By Gimp 2012-11-19 01:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

opparimo (+1) is the best ah gun

augmented guns from dominion notes get up to 49 base and there's also the fake coronach gun that drops from t3 vnm in abby vunkerl.

The fake coronach gun (52 base damage) can be a hard drop even with blue, I'd just get an augmented gun since armageddon is a relatively painless trial.

Generally rng used Stout Arm and Sea Daughter for atmas back when abssyea was fun and the slow doesn't have any bearing on rng because it uses ranged weapons. This is for ws that don't crit and yeah they're kinda mediocre unless it's jishnu's radiance

Not sure what would be optimal for a third, but there is Drifter (Attack + Acc), VV.

Keep in mind that when you get Wild Fire your atma setup will change again for it if you're using that specifically.
By Nephlum00 2012-11-19 01:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you think Wildfire would be better for RNG than Last Stand? I always assumed Wildfire was a COR thing that RNG just happened to be able to use lol.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-19 02:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends entirely on what you're shooting at. Mobs with PDT- or are weak/weaker to magic WF can be a better choice.
By Gimp 2012-11-19 02:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether you use Wild Fire or Last Stand depends on the location, mob and buffs you'll be getting. I'm still learning rng myself so I can't give you too detailed of an answer and different scenarios where one is better than another.

Cor has better gear for WF than rng(though i'm not sure by how much discrepancy) but rng can still get some good use out of the ws.

An example for when to use Last Stand over WF

Caturae like Pil that resist magic, but conversely if Pil had his shield up you would use Wild Fire to break his shield.

It also gets a bit more complicated since you'll want WF's aftermath on your barrages and such and how much tp you'll have for duration so you can still use Last Stand without messing up your aftermath and...

that's the part where Helel comes in and clarifies the rest.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-11-19 02:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

in abyssea, wildfire would be better and jishnu's would be best

like other posters said, probably shouldnt rng in abyssea

Don't tell yourself annihilator will revolutionize your damage either, it's a hate tool. 20 base damage on your gun will add at most ~2.5 ftp * 2 hits = 5 * 20 = 100 * pdif damage to your ws. That's a maximum of around 300 damage if you make use of the r.attack, it won't turn 2k damage into 6k.

You should be able to get an opprimo crafted for under a mil.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-11-19 02:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Gimp said: »
Whether you use Wild Fire or Last Stand depends on the location, mob and buffs you'll be getting. I'm still learning rng myself so I can't give you too detailed of an answer and different scenarios where one is better than another.

Cor has better gear for WF than rng(though i'm not sure by how much discrepancy) but rng can still get some good use out of the ws.

An example for when to use Last Stand over WF

Caturae like Pil that resist magic, but conversely if Pil had his shield up you would use Wild Fire to break his shield.

It also gets a bit more complicated since you'll want WF's aftermath on your barrages and such and how much tp you'll have for duation so you can still use Last Stand without messing up your aftermath and...

that's the part where Helel comes in and clarifies the rest.

I could be wrong but I actually thought RNG had access to better WF gear than COR.

I brought RNG to abyssea a few times way back when it was first introduced. Heavy shot can put out some pretty impressive numbers. Last stand is actually fairly unimpressive from what I've seen inside abyssea. Critical weapon skills are just too powerful in there. You would probably be better off dual wielding daggers and using evisceration to be totally honest.
 Bahamut.Havelock
Server: Bahamut
user: Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2012-11-19 03:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
I could be wrong but I actually thought RNG had access to better WF gear than COR
QD with COR AF3+2 feet just make huge difference, otherwise COR and RNG have similar WF gear.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-11-19 03:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Havelock said: »
I could be wrong but I actually thought RNG had access to better WF gear than COR
QD with COR AF3+2 feet just make huge difference, otherwise COR and RNG have similar WF gear.
COR can buff its WF better, but RNG does have access to better gear.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-11-19 03:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but in terms of gear without any other modifiers, RNG has a better back option and better hands I believe. The difference is very minimal but RNG's WF is more powerful than COR's without the QD boost. And it's not like the QD boost can't affect RNG either if there's a COR in the group. Go go 4k wildfires on bismarck:

No displacers of course.
[+]
 Bahamut.Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2012-11-19 03:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said: »

1MAB in back, otherwise both should use same equip or am i forgeting something? Talking about optimal sets.
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-11-19 04:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

seiryu's kote and sylvan feet +2 have higher AGI than the 4/5 thaumas set COR use
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-11-19 04:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said: »

1MAB in back, otherwise both should use same equip or am i forgeting something? Talking about optimal sets.
Tjukurrpa mantle > forban cape
Seiryu's kote > Thaumas gloves
sylvan bottillons +2 > Thaumas nails

Edit: Beaten.
[+]
 Bahamut.Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2012-11-19 04:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That is right, chapeau bas.
By Aeyela 2012-11-19 04:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is pretty fun and strong in Abyssea if you have a way of obtaining TP fast. Ridill, M.Kris, Kraken Club, etc. Your melee accuracy is more or less capped with all three and with buffs and full haste gear you can whack out some serious damage. Last Stand is a powerful weapon skill.
 Ragnarok.Skyruler
Server: Ragnarok
user: skyruler
By Ragnarok.Skyruler 2012-11-19 05:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as last stand goes in abby if you have a good agi build with crour buffs i'd say use fires and flares which gives agi and rng atk maybe stout arm for the rng atk and SD to help you get tp faster
 Bismarck.Alana
By Bismarck.Alana 2012-11-19 05:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno if its what u looking for but when i lvled rng in abyssea i did regain atma x3 and sub sam 2 shots WS if u ever want to try lol ; ;
 Asura.Vrytreya
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-11-19 10:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
RNG is pretty fun and strong in Abyssea if you have a way of obtaining TP fast. Ridill, M.Kris, Kraken Club, etc. Your melee accuracy is more or less capped with all three and with buffs and full haste gear you can whack out some serious damage. Last Stand is a powerful weapon skill.
Last time when I still playing RNG in abyssea. I got excess TP quite often when using Sea Daughter/RR/GH.
You don't need those melee weapons to perform adequately as RNG.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2012-11-19 10:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

if im not mistaken, a cor using QD with AF3+2 feet isnt and issue. since the damage increase gives everyone in the party/alliance the bonus damage as well, and since the cor/cors would more than likely be spamming fireshot for themselves, the RNG using WF would get the same bonus.

edit:: inside abyssea, i favor Gandiva with JR, since the WSs will do 8-10k, unless you miss an arrow, or overkill a fodder mob with just the first 2 arrows shot
By Aeyela 2012-11-19 10:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vrytreya said: »
Last time when I still playing RNG in abyssea. I got excess TP quite often when using Sea Daughter/RR/GH.

The concept of fun seems lost amongst your nitpicking.
By Aeyela 2012-11-19 10:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, for Last Stand: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/27530/rng-last-stand-set/ is a good reflection of what you can expect from Last Stand in abyssea. Details regarding his atma and etc. are included.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2012-11-19 10:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Last parse I averaged 6k on worms with buffs zerk/stalwarts/etc
95Anni Stout/GH/Kirin

hope that helps~
 Asura.Hotsoups
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-11-19 17:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Gimp said: »
you'll want WF's aftermath on your barrages and such

I read this last night before I went to bed and didn't say anything. And because I didn't, I had nightmares and tossed and turned all night.

Empyrean aftermath does not proc on Barrage. xD
 Asura.Vrytreya
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-11-25 22:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
Asura.Vrytreya said: »

The concept of fun seems lost amongst your nitpicking.
Nitpicking - "You need to consider the fun factor, you know..."

Okay... ( ̄~ ̄;)
First Page 2