2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Ashman's Amazon Cart
Ashman's Amazon Cart
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By SpaceAnomaly 2016-02-05 08:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765365278
I enjoyed the first 2 books immensely. The 3rd one isn't out that I'm aware of.

I suck at explaining things so probably better to read reviews and stuff. :I
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2016-02-05 08:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Got em! Thanks!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [84 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2016-04-29 10:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Note to self:

Self,

look at this later. http://imgur.com/gallery/EXmST

Thanks,
You
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2016-04-29 10:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Note to self:

Self,

look at this later. http://imgur.com/gallery/EXmST

Thanks,
You

I've read almost all of those. I highly recommend the Vlad Taltos stuff in particular.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [202 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2016-11-17 09:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I need to set myself a reminder to check this T.T I keep doing amazon orders and buying "EH" stuff and then being like DAMNIT.

I just saw the peculiar children movie and decided to pick those books up.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-17 09:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

"EH" stuff
"Made in Canada"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-17 09:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
"EH" stuff
"Made in Canada" "Fabriqué au Canada"

Helped you avoid a hefty fine of $10,000 Canadian. Or $5 USD.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2016-11-17 09:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I live in Michigan. I see C eh N eh D eh every day without binoculars!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [124 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2017-03-21 12:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZcxC2

side note edit: I have good omens but haven't read yet. I haven't started discworld yet because i'm not a millionaire and I don't want to buy the whoel series (and ive got no one to borrow from). i'm too hipster to read GoT until it's not this weeks walking dead. I got the sanderson novels at kelhor's recommendation (I think) but haven't read yet. American gods was v-good. I bought it as a 2fer with Anansi boys (also good).
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2017-03-21 13:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Still recommending "The Name of the Wind" if you haven't read it yet =p *waves*
By Sidiov 2017-03-21 13:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

side note edit: I have good omens but haven't read yet. I haven't started discworld yet because i'm not a millionaire and I don't want to buy the whoel series.
I'll be honest, I bought all of these as they were released in pulp format, and I couldn't be happier. It was worth every penny.
It's a bit different than most fantasy, so dont expect it to feel like Raymond Feist's 30 books, or Terry Goodkind.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2017-03-21 14:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Still recommending "The Name of the Wind" if you haven't read it yet =p *waves*

<3 ghishypoo

Sidiov said: »
side note edit: I have good omens but haven't read yet. I haven't started discworld yet because i'm not a millionaire and I don't want to buy the whoel series.
I'll be honest, I bought all of these as they were released in pulp format, and I couldn't be happier. It was worth every penny.
It's a bit different than most fantasy, so dont expect it to feel like Raymond Feist's 30 books, or Terry Goodkind.

Oh I fully intend to buy them. It's more of a "making excuses due to suspense at let down / over hype etc. I have a cousin who changed his name to "Om" at one point (it's now Xavier if you were wondering). I grew up being told that they were the apex of books so now I'm intimidated.
 Shiva.Keman
Server: Shiva
user: Keman
By Shiva.Keman 2017-03-22 11:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Welp I came here to post a couple recommendation and see if you or anyone had read them (hadn't seen them recommended yet in this thread and thought maybe I just had bad tastes :P), but from this I came upon an update to said series that I had been looking for for many many years, So thank you to who ever wants to take credit.

Anyways I was referring to the Elvenbane Series by Andre Norton & Mercedes Lackey. I absolutely loved this world and the magic within it. My name "Keman" is actually from the main shape shifting dragon within this series. (3rd book had came out in 2002, since then Norton had died and no update was ever heard about the 4th and final book. 15 years later on March, 17 2017 Lackey stated she plans to finish it by 2017's end. Yes I am super excited)

Also Recommending The Darksword series of books, written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (A trilogy with a 4th to complete it).

I am interested if anyone else here has read either of these and what there thoughts were on them as well.

Edit:

While discussing this conversation with my Brother he highly suggested that I recommend the series "Sword of Heavens" by Richard S Tuttle. As well as the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin. (I can not vouch for these myself, but he was able to get blm to lv 25 about 12 years ago so I guess he might can be trusted maybe)
[+]
 Odin.Strummer
Server: Odin
By Odin.Strummer 2017-03-23 10:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

A little off the beaten path here, but if nonfiction work about mythology is something you consume, I can highly recommend Lewis Hyde's Trickster Makes This World: Mischief, Myth, and Art. It's among the best books I read last year; Hyde writes beautiful prose and the content is stellar.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [848 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2019-07-19 14:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ahleah said: »
Super Fantasy fan here, and while I could recommend lots of various singles or series (that sword of truth series was great!) I'm gonna instead point you towards a fairly new writer, whose book impressed me due to his writing style, which reminded me more of a oral story from an old style storyteller or entertainer. While it is the start of a series (I can't remember if he specified a length but so far its at 3 books I think?) it also suffices as a very good solitary read. Instead of trying to paraphrase, I'll just spoiler an intro for ya below. :)

Edit: I'm so derp. Book is "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. <_<;;; Swear I had written that already...

I actually come back here from time to time but i don't bump with what i've read. I did read the dark tower series as well as american gods / anansi boys before they were tv shows (hipster mode on) thanks to you guys. The magicians etc were also a great read that became a mediocre at best show. House of Leaves is now my literary Everest. Hard to complete but so worth it.

I started becoming a crit role addict this summer and am finally buying the Patrick Rothfuss books.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-07-19 15:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The Iron Dragon's Daughter
by Michael Swanwick

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25781.The_Iron_Dragon_s_Daughter
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [748 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2021-08-05 15:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I read a lot of this during the pandemic. I know i ask for light fun reads a lot through this thread but i re-read House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. It felt like one of the greatest exercises in reading comprehension for me but it was such an amazing read / mindblow. Would recommend to anyone who can stay motivated to finish it. The mystery and awe is worth the "work".
By Pantafernando 2021-08-05 16:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunelly im not that fond on actual reading as all my reading time are spent on technical/scholar books.

But that doesnt mean i dont appretiate that art. Actually, here and there i watch reviews videos of books histories. While the sensation isnt quite as fulfilling as actually reading it, at least gives me the basic in very short time.

But there is one book, despite never reading it, just watching people telling it gave me something special such is its power. Not the entire history though, but the short poem The Grand Inquisitor from Brothers Karamazov.

Just reading that short part gave so much knowledge and power so that i could pass through the pandemic, being stronger now than ever.

Obviously, recommend it to anyone who never heard about it, or never gave some deep thinking about whats said there.