Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-11-11 17:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Avitori said: »
Who cares, they are making an effort to improve their game, and there is nothing wrong with making a flashy cutscene/trailer to get people excited. It's a step in the right direction, whether 2.0 fails or not no one will know. Enjoy it for what it is.

Nobody said don't make flashy CS. But what's wrong with asking SE to put more effort into writing a good story? Having flashy CS doesn't suddenly make a story great and game great either.

except for the fact that they've been improving on the gameplay, and the story, and everything... since they realized the *** up, you would know that if you didn't have your head shoved up your *** for the last year or so.

I've seen PLENTY of people who were negative towards XIV at first (me included!) go back and realize the potential that it could be, and it is becoming. Just because they have a few failed events, or a few failed things happen doesn't mean that it's just another learning experience for them.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-11 17:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-11-11 17:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said: »
But this video does not translate into anything you'll actually be doing. I don't understand the excitement.

I don't understand the negativity

I don't understand all the fanboyism.

And suddenly everyone came up and say "OMG this looks amazing, damn I miss the game."

FFXIV's story is poorly written IMO. It's nothing special, and it's kind of "cliche RPG story", with a cliche setting, and cliche presentation. When I did raven BC, which is supposed to be "final boss" of 1.0(I think), all I feel is "I think I've seen this somewhere before..."
The problem is, this is 2012. Everything has been done, said, written, whatever. Also, due to the FF franchise, we have a never ending flow of names and races and whatever else being injected in every episode.

I am sick of characters like Cid, I am sick of the same races being used twice in a row, I am sick of seeing the same avatars as the previous MMO/offline episode when others exist in the franchise story and haven't been used in over a decade, and so on.

But unfortunately, this is what FF is based on.

So in the end, the only fresh thing we can expect from a FF is the gameplay but unfortunately, FFXIV gameplay was terrible. It will most likely be better in 2.0, but when you take a mediocre gameplay and try to make it better keeping the same base, it doesn't give something unforgettable.

The story in FFXIV was rather interesting in the choice of words and some jokes used. Maybe it was only in the Japanese and French version (the English version being miles away from the Japanese one), but the French story left me with a smile quite often.
By Enuyasha 2012-11-11 17:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

if they fix the party search function and make crafting/gathering leves like DoW/M leves (and worth doing) I'd be happy.

I HATED coming from earning 5Kish EXP and 10K gil for battlecraft leves then dropping down to MAYBE at max 1Kish EXP to 2K EXP (depending on crafts + field manual II + food + Rested bonus) and 100 gil for it all SUCKED. Atleast gathering had it a little bit better....one of the leves at each level range contitnued to have one of those "get this specific item" missions and when you did get those items you received at least 1K EXP each gather and a minimum of like 1K EXP for the leve. Gil got better as you went up in level range. Oh...and being able to get 4 leves for a camp with DoW/M but only getting 2 for Crafting and 2 for Gathering.
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2012-11-11 17:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Sylph.Decimus said: »
But this video does not translate into anything you'll actually be doing. I don't understand the excitement.

I don't understand the negativity

I don't understand all the fanboyism.

And suddenly everyone came up and say "OMG this looks amazing, damn I miss the game."

FFXIV's story is poorly written IMO. It's nothing special, and it's kind of "cliche RPG story", with a cliche setting, and cliche presentation. When I did raven BC, which is supposed to be "final boss" of 1.0(I think), all I feel is "I think I've seen this somewhere before..."
The problem is, this is 2012. Everything has been done, said, written, whatever. Also, due to the FF franchise, we have a never ending flow of names and races and whatever else being injected in every episode.

I am sick of characters like Cid, I am sick of the same races being used twice in a row, I am sick of seeing the same avatars as the previous MMO/offline episode when others exist in the franchise story and haven't been used in over a decade, and so on.

So in the end, the only fresh thing we can expect from a FF is the gameplay but unfortunately, FFXIV gameplay was terrible. It will most likely be better in 2.0, but when you take a mediocre gameplay and try to make it better keeping the same base, it doesn't give something unforgettable.

The story in FFXIV was rather interesting in the choice of words and some jokes used. Maybe it was only in the Japanese and French version (the English version being miles away from the Japanese one), but the French story left me with a smile quite often.

Go play something else that isn't Final Fantasy related then?
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-11-11 17:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

^

You didn't understand my post, read it again maybe.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2012-11-11 17:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

That was really amazing. First thing from XIV to actually spark some sort of emotion in me(Besides the song itself early on).

Louisoix's(God why is your name so ridiculous) sort of sigh of relief at the end... That really got to me. We tried our best, we failed, but the adventurer's get to live through the next age to maybe prevent this from ever happening again.
Well a Warrior, Bard, White Mage, Black Mage and Paladin get to see the next age. Sucks to be you Dragoon's and Monk's.

Really wonder if his spell only brought the adventurer's forward, or if we'll see some NPC's again.

Looking forward to ARR for now at least. Still a good ways away though and I can't predict how interested I will be at it's actual release.
Seems like Fishing is going to undergo a pretty large change, so expecting Mining and Botany to as well. Would like for those to stay "jobs'...
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-11 17:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

While it's completely unreasonable to assume that this would even work, I totally want to see a full feature length FFXIV 1.0 film to catch people up who didn't play through 1.0
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-11-11 17:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I really hope Louisoix shows up, I really really would hate to see him gone, I always had a feeling from the first time I saw him that he was a good guy (albeit the weird creepy nature of him) which only grew stronger as the storyline got deeper.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-11 17:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope all or some members of the Circle survive and pop up in 2.0. Dunno about Louisoix though since he did take a Mega Flare to the face.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2012-11-11 17:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I hope all or some members of the Circle survive and pop up in 2.0. Dunno about Louisoix though since he did take a Mega Flare to the face.
Hopefully he buffed himself with max capped Protect and Stoneskin before :<
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-11 17:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said: »
except for the fact that they've been improving on the gameplay, and the story, and everything... since they realized the *** up, you would know that if you didn't have your head shoved up your *** for the last year or so.

I've seen PLENTY of people who were negative towards XIV at first (me included!) go back and realize the potential that it could be, and it is becoming. Just because they have a few failed events, or a few failed things happen doesn't mean that it's just another learning experience for them.

So basically if someone came up and say "FFXIV is blah blah", with negatively option, they're stuck in last year's failure and wouldn't let go??? I can see how game play improved, but it's still stucked with same core mechanic, which is fact, or are you going to deny it?. And story is still stuck with same formula either. Do you like it? You're free to like it and I will never tell you to shut up. But I think it doesn't have to be this way.

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

I don't agree that being 2012 you can't come up with a good story. I do agree that being a FF title, you're stuck with certain setting and maybe unable to break free, if the company want to keep FF image.

For example, we see Cid in every FF. However Cid isn't always same character. If SE want to, they can put some twist into it. But it's more like SE is unwilling to, and maybe fans doesn't accept it either.

Same with every other FF aspect, SE is unwilling to put some twist into it to ruin the image. And probably majority of FF fan doesn't want to see it going this way either. For example, if FF come up with a story dealing with selling sex, drug abuse, social problem, crime, and so on, what will most FF fans think? They probably would rather want a more classic FF setting. They'd probably going to say "This isn't FF anymore! I don't like it!!!!"

Cerberus.Cahlum said: »

Go play something else that isn't Final Fantasy related then?

Except in the case of FF, IMO, it should always try to be different, despite not every FF fan may like it. A lot of FF fans hated FF8, because it's not FF anymore in many way. But FF8 is one of my fav just because it tried something new. I feel SE nowadays rarely try to do what they did to FF8 now though. Too many fans rage stopped them maybe ;(
 Cerberus.Diabolique
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2012-11-11 17:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking that was Lousoix's last appearance.
After all those Ifrit and Moogle runs, I really kind of hated that npc. He just talked so damn much and I couldn't hit enter fast enough(Usually never do that but he just droned on).

I can't see him living through that, or even being worried about his own safety. He saved the future at least and he seemed to be relieved by that at the end.

This really changed my opinion of him, never did much but stand by that waterfall before. Would hope he was able to send the rest of the circle at least, to maybe prevent this happening in the next era's.
Enuyasha said: »
Even with all those wards and crap, I'm pretty sure he was a Thaumaturge or an Arcanist, so almost definitely dead now.
By Xenshi 2012-11-11 17:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

All in all despite the few people saying the game was terrible and had no redeeming qualities whatsoever, don't play 2.0. Don't even waste your time buying or updating the game simply so we don't have to know of your negative thoughts on it. I had tons of fun playing 1.x and meeting new people and 2.0 may be even better. Good job SE getting us excited even more for 2.0 and thank you for trying.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Escorian
Server: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2012-11-11 18:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldnt you want shell for mega flare?
[+]
By Enuyasha 2012-11-11 18:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Schizm said: »
Even though the story of a world being destroyed in the beginning was used in FFX, I would love to have the end of FFXIV be the new main story.

It was exciting and felt like it did bring in a strong curiosity to what happened with that video.

I just wished they let each server do the final fight and see how each server faired against the end.
Should've totally let us fight Bahamut....

"Bahamut readies Mega Flare"
"Louisoix casts Time Warp"
The game has encountered an error with the server connection.

Asura.Escorian said: »

Protect in FFXIV fulfilled both roles.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2012-11-11 18:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

i have played 1.x in and out, haven't been really active in it because of real life business and Tera taking a good portion out of my time. But a lot of the mechanics in the game i did truly enjoy, and i did find the story to be worth while and not a typical copy/paste from the locale Barnes&Nobles. If you don't like the game nor care about the video, then by all means don't play it. Opinions are fine, but jumping in with nothing but negativity is basically trying to antagonize the people who DO enjoy it. You go to E3 where they released the ps3 and everyone is cheering, how do you think everyone would look at you while you are standing there with a microphone saying how ps2 sucked and ps3 wont be good and you should stop looking at the ps3 footage because it means nothing. Not exactly going to go well. Sure we have all come to terms with ps3's strengths and weaknesses, but that is for us to find out and having someone come in preaching about the negativity is not going to do more than get people pissed at you.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-11 18:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenshi said: »
Valefor.Omnys said: »
When I played earlier this year, exp parties were done in two fashions:

Your party claimed many mobs, and a PL killed them as fast as they could. Unlike XI, anyone could attack, and do as much damage as they were capable of. Claim still stayed with the group that claimed it.

Everyone in the group equipped Fire, which functioned exactly like firaga of XI and nuked. Yeah "PLD/BLMs, MNK/BLMs, WHM/BLMs" all had pretty respectable nuking capability as far as exp was concerned. Someone, typically the tank, pulled all the adds and everyone nuked. Sometimes people died.

The party search tool was just... awful. It was unfathomably bad. You also couldn't tell what job someone -in your group- was if they weren't within a certain range, and within the same zone, as your character.

You couldn't search by name either, and I believe there wasn't text commands like FFXI's /sea.

For what should have been 11 v2, they made a terrible number of more terrible decisions.
That's what gets me every time...the game was never supposed to be FFXI v2. It is it's own game with it's own flaws and great ideas. Stop comparing it to FFXI directly and see it as a game all on it's own or you will be forever negative cause nothing will ever live up to your so called greatest moments in FFXI. Yes there's some mechanics of FFXI that were great, but be damned if I want to play FFXI all over again with just better graphics. It's kinda like how all the Madden games have been the exact same game since 2000 but with a different roster and better graphics..but people still pay top dollar every year for them, that's stupid.

By "XI v2", I mean that they had a great set of mechanics, a good synergy to it all. XIV should have been that, rather than what it was.

XIV's job system has a lot of potential. I don't think v1 panned out quite so smoothly (I prefered playing a Warrior to a Paladin, because warrior could borrow from the strengths of many other jobs, whereas Paladin could only borrow from 2), but I think it had potential to be better than XI's. I loved running around as a warrior with cure and second wind and something from the lancer class that I can't recall.

XIV's ability to summon a choco anywhere, anytime, as many times as you liked, was also better, no doubt.

Square had a playerbase and knew what that playerbase wanted. XI was never as big as WoW and no game will ever be, but why not try to reward this playerbase rather than charm that one.

I'll take a real party grinder over a quest grinder or powerlevel scenario (hi2u key leeching) any day of the week. The problem with these is two-fold of the same thing: Players never get to learn their class, so groups are disappointed, and many players are hesitant to go in for the first time, having no idea what their rotation or priority should be. Through XI's golden years, noobs learned from others in parties that they wanted dex or agi. They learned how to skillchain, and magic burst. They learned the intricacies of the hate system. Questing to cap by yourself, and you don't learn most those things.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-11-11 18:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said: »
ah gotta love the people who try to rain negativity on a thread because dear god we can't like something, dear god just because you don't like it (OH NOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS) I respect your opinion, but please kindly put a piece of tape over your mouth and shut it.
It's like everybody has to be a critic and their opinion is fact.

I regret starting XIV so late but I can't wait for ARR.
[+]
By Xenshi 2012-11-11 18:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

F**k what the player base wants! That's where all these modern games are failing, and I don't just mean MMOs. The player base is half of the reason FFXI is going downhill (though most of the ideas they reject), but it causes a team with no backbone to lose sight of their ideas and second guess themselves. In one sentence you, and I say you as in general, want a "new" game that tries new ideas and at the same time you want the same mechanics from the previous game or another game altogether. It's all well to accept feedback from the player's but why should you sacrifice your hard work and idea because people refuse to try it out and try to make it better? As much as I am pumped for 2.0, I pray they stray away from all the just pointless feedback from the official forums.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Valflux
Server: Carbuncle
user: Valflux
By Carbuncle.Valflux 2012-11-11 18:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Your party claimed many mobs, and a PL killed them as fast as they could. Unlike XI, anyone could attack, and do as much damage as they were capable of. Claim still stayed with the group that claimed it.

Everyone in the group equipped Fire, which functioned exactly like firaga of XI and nuked. Yeah "PLD/BLMs, MNK/BLMs, WHM/BLMs" all had pretty respectable nuking capability as far as exp was concerned. Someone, typically the tank, pulled all the adds and everyone nuked. Sometimes people died.

The party search tool was just... awful. It was unfathomably bad. You also couldn't tell what job someone -in your group- was if they weren't within a certain range, and within the same zone, as your character.

You couldn't search by name either, and I believe there wasn't text commands like FFXI's /sea.

For what should have been 11 v2, they made a terrible number of more terrible decisions.
That's what gets me every time...the game was never supposed to be FFXI v2. It is it's own game with it's own flaws and great ideas. Stop comparing it to FFXI directly and see it as a game all on it's own or you will be forever negative cause nothing will ever live up to your so called greatest moments in FFXI. Yes there's some mechanics of FFXI that were great, but be damned if I want to play FFXI all over again with just better graphics. It's kinda like how all the Madden games have been the exact same game since 2000 but with a different roster and better graphics..but people still pay top dollar every year for them, that's stupid.

Here's the thing... If it wasn't supposed to be FFXI v2 then why did they use the exact same races and basic theory for each of the cities and just lazily give everything different names? ffs, FFXIV's players just continued to call everything by its old FFXI name... You can't make this argument that people aren't supposed to compare it to FFXI when they essentially reused the entire game aesthetically.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-11-11 18:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Escorian said: »

CON/WHM gets a job-trait that grants Protect a Magic DEF effect. And Louisoix would have needed...

Battle Voice for the 25% HP boost
Protect
Stoneskin with VIT gear on to enhance it
Lunar Curtain for the MDT-50%

Or we'll find out that Mega Flare was like that from FFIV where Reflect sent it back to Bahamut, and Louisoix knew Reflect. We'll all pop up and he'll just come walking out from the woods/shadows and be all "Sup?" (Could happen since he apparently knows Time Magic, and Reflect was Time Magic in Tactics/12!)
F**k what the player base wants! That's where all these modern games are failing, and I don't just mean MMOs. The player base is half of the reason FFXI is going downhill (though most of the ideas they reject), but it causes a team with no backbone to lose sight of their ideas and second guess themselves. In one sentence you, and I say you as in general, want a "new" game that tries new ideas and at the same time you want the same mechanics from the previous game or another game altogether. It's all well to accept feedback from the player's but why should you sacrifice your hard work and idea because people refuse to try it out and try to make it better? As much as I am pumped for 2.0, I pray they stray away from all the just pointless feedback from the official forums.

I have to agree with this on the most part. 90% of the suggestions on both the FFXI and FFXIV forums are dumb and written by players who want something just because "well this MMO has it!" or without thinking through how broken said suggestion would be.

However, the one thing FFXIV MUST have is bouncy chests...
Bayohne said:
Q3: Will my character's chest be bouncy?
A3: If you are an expert in this area, you will most likely understand, but they will... *boing boing*

[+]
By Xenshi 2012-11-11 18:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Valflux said: »

Here's the thing... If it wasn't supposed to be FFXI v2 then why did they use the exact same races and basic theory for each of the cities and just lazily give everything different names? ffs, FFXIV's players just continued to call everything by its old FFXI name... You can't make this argument that people aren't supposed to compare it to FFXI when they essentially reused the entire game aesthetically.
I hope you know that all those ideas aren't solely from FFXI but from FF lore itself, did you think FFXI was a completely brand spanking new game? Almost every aspect of race, spells, and city design was borrowed from past FF games.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Valflux
Server: Carbuncle
user: Valflux
By Carbuncle.Valflux 2012-11-11 18:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Valflux said: »

I hope you know that all those ideas aren't solely from FFXI but from FF lore itself, did you think FFXI was a completely brand spanking new game? Almost every aspect of race, spells, and city design was borrowed from past FF games.

Yes, but those games weren't MMOs... And these two games are... You can't honestly tell me that you don't see how incredibly alike FFXI and FFXIV were... If you think these two games weren't cut from the exact same cloth then you're delusional. FF games might have a lot of similarities but for the most part they come with their own ideas... FFXIV doesn't really have any new ideas if you take its story away...
 Valefor.Fmaxgluttony
By Valefor.Fmaxgluttony 2012-11-11 18:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cutscenes from FFXIV for those who are like wth is happening

:)

Do note it's 5HR's long
[+]
 Cerberus.Diabolique
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2012-11-11 19:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
basic theory for each of the cities and just lazily give everything different names?
Limsa Lominsa is nothing like San d'Oria. Ul'dah is nothing like Bastok. Gridania is nothing like Windurst. The comparisons have always been pretty ridiculous.

Gridania has trees! Windurst v.2! Red flag for Limsa! Sandy v.2! Ul'dah has...a goldsmithing guild! Bastok v.2!
It's stupid.

The Races though? Yeah, I can't really argue with that.
If there is one thing I could really change about XIV it would be the re-used races. I know why they did it, they said so at the very start. Still don't like it though and probably never will. This is what all started the XI clone talk. They did it to themselves. Abilities(And their effects) for Jobs as well, probably a mistake.

If XI had maybe ended it's service before XIV came out, than having these races would make more sense(Can't have a sense of nostalgia for something you could still play).

Using the cities as an argument is just wrong though.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-11 19:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that Final Fantasy games recycles certain themes and archetypes is news to some people, apparently.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11