Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Smithing » Smithing 71-104
Smithing 71-104
By Avitori 2012-11-05 11:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, I have a question for those newly 100+ smithers out there. I'm trying to debate whether or not finishing smithing to 104 is worth the investment or not versus another craft. I originally planned to make my own -1 breastplate, and maybe try to craft them for profit but I would like to get an opinion first from fellow crafters. All my crafts are level 70 right now so I have a hard time deciding which craft I want to take to 100+.

Thanks for any advice you can offer me, always appreciated. (⌒▽⌒)☆
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-11-05 11:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Smithing is pretty bad at the moment. It was great 6-9 months ago. Lots of profit synths with fast turns. Now its just Cursed Haubys (sell slower every day) and cursed breastplates which sell fast but can be a pain to make due to material limitations. There are smaller niche synths but they have slowed incredibly recently. (avant,cursed sollerets etc)

It will probably cost you 50-75+mil to get to 103 for cursed breastplate then another 10mil to craft one or you can just buy one for 25-35mil.
[+]
By Avitori 2012-11-05 11:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
(sell slower every day)

Thanks, I have noticed this also looking around at people's bazaars. I may end up just buying the breastplate and taking something else up instead ._.;
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2012-11-06 03:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have money to blow, go with smithing, if you got even more money to blow go with goldsmithing. I personally don't see much profit in other crafts, or at least not on my server. That's the reason why you are seeing a lot of new smither's and prices kinda slowing down. That's because there are more people attempting the crafts and therefore more of them popping up. Then again, at least this is the case on my server. Then again Goldsmithing only really has desynthing geodes and I think you have to be 101 to have a decent rate/chance of HQ3. At least you can profit off of smithing if you're smart with it and aren't power leveling the ***out of it.

I made millions skilling up smithing from 50-95ish and then it starts to hurt 95-100. Then once you get to 100 (Prices vary by server of course) you'll be spending about 200-300K a synth, which is about 3M a level IF you were to get a .1 skill up every synth. Just about every skill-up after 100+ will usually result in complete loss unless you HQ, and even then you'll be lucky to find a buyer for that item unless you happen to HQ some hexed gear 104-105+. FYI: I used NO MATH when I used these numbers, I used basic prices will as always vary per server.

I'm not going to discourage you, but I'm not going to tell you to do it. Do with the information I provided as you please, and happy crafting! Feel free to reply with more questions. That way any other people interested in smithing can have a basic knowledge of what to be ready for post-100 smithing.

EDIT: None of this information is 'official' and was all off the top of my head as I'm sure there are other profitable synthesis' in other crafts as well. Goldsmithers: Don't hate please, Geodes is the only thing I know of as a smither that is profitable, correct me if you feel the need.
 Odin.Airius
Server: Odin
user: Airius
By Odin.Airius 2012-11-06 05:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

rather than lvling on cursed breastplates i suggest doing adaman gauntlets to 102 then adaman breastplates to 103. The materials are more available especially if you are saving ampoules and when i got to 103 was a much cheaper synth option (believe with the shaper shawl cost me 25M 3 months ago iirc). I also highly recommend the shaper shawl investment if you plan on doing any synth past 100.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2012-11-06 05:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/29864/non-thokcha-skill-up-synths/

See the link above for synthesis ingredients for most if not all of the recipes up to date for smithing post-100. Gonna have to do a little browsing the first page but there's a good source of info there.

I would NOT recommend skilling up on 'Cursed Breastplates' though. There are cheaper/easier(not by much though) recipes you can choose from.
 Sylph.Binckry
Server: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-11-06 08:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Slyshen said: »

See the link above for synthesis ingredients for most if not all of the recipes up to date for smithing post-100. Gonna have to do a little browsing the first page but there's a good source of info there.

I would NOT recommend skilling up on 'Cursed Breastplates' though. There are cheaper/easier(not by much though) recipes you can choose from.
I recommend skilling up on Cursed breastplate, if you know you have a T1 rate. c: So 103+12 smithing and subcrafts!
 Cerberus.Reiden
user: Reiden
By Cerberus.Reiden 2012-11-06 23:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

just lvl all crafts to 100, and that way you can enjoy all of them.
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2012-11-07 16:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Binckry said: »
Ragnarok.Slyshen said: »

I recommend skilling up on Cursed breastplate, if you know you have a T1 rate. c: So 103+12 smithing and subcrafts!

So 103 +12 is T1 correct? Some moron posted a comment on my wall that I was't T1 for some reason. I just lvl'd LW/GS to 72 just to make sure also.
 Sylph.Binckry
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-11-07 17:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

To 73. Not sure if it'll T1 at 72. Just put it at 73 for good measure. 103+12 73 73
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2012-11-07 17:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

No, he's not saying that. He's saying I have to be 104 +12.
By Avitori 2012-11-07 22:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Reiden said: »

Are people crazy enough to do this? lol
 Sylph.Binckry
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-11-07 23:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Egonn said: »
No, he's not saying that. He's saying I have to be 104 +12.
Should just tell him math is hard, cause apparently it is. <_<
 Sylph.Rafaras
user: Enitsu
By Sylph.Rafaras 2012-11-08 00:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Avitori said: »

Gotta craft'em all.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2012-11-08 02:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Avitori said: »

A bit off topic but I am actually in the process of doing this. I am a crafting addict, it's all I do and it's all I'm known for. Ha! I'm almost done with Gold(96) and LC(87), CC(Coming soon). Can only benefit you if you have extra money at the moment, I rarely ever have to ask anyone for help with a crafting item.
 Cerberus.Reiden
user: Reiden
By Cerberus.Reiden 2012-11-08 10:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I did smithing and bone to 100. Working on ww 92 and gold 52 atm.
 Bahamut.Vagrua
Server: Bahamut
user: Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-11-09 00:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thought I'd bump this and say that Darksteel Picks can be a solid way of profit if you craft the materials yourself. It's all NPC profit and funded my Smithing mostly.

Just an alternative to those that are having trouble funding their Smithing skill.

Also, I'd recommend overwhelming fire energy if you're attempting to profit off of these.
[+]
 Asura.Toxleh
Server: Asura
user: Toxeus
By Asura.Toxleh 2012-11-09 00:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

i have wood, bone, cooking, smithing : 110, 100, 100, 107 respectively

no plans on doing more