Phoenix.Elemosina
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Elemosina
By Phoenix.Elemosina 2012-10-10 08:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Elemosina said: »
Wait...you're no longer weak against cake? o.O

Nevermind...just looked up Überkuchen...
 Carbuncle.Zirk
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-10 14:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Some questions about rules.

1) How do matches begin? I think starting a fresh match in Dio Ghelsba with 1 minute briefing is best, so you start right next to one another and get about 15 seconds of buff time, then the match starts and you just go for it. Do you normally allow as much time as you want to pre-buff?

2) Upon a death, I think canceling current match and restarting a fresh match so conditions from one bout to the next are all the same is also best, what do you do?

3) Do you wait between matches to allow all non-2hour job abilities to reset?

4) Can you use your 2hour for one bout if you wanted?
 Bismarck.Keityan
Server: Bismarck
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2012-10-10 15:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I do want some clarification for some of the rules as well.

The rules state that first to win 3. However, the problem that occurs would be "first strike". If the contest holder realizes he can't win, without the use of petra he will have the ability to "flee" away from his opponent forever. However, if the opponent is chasing, they will always be the first to be cast on because if the contest holder decides to stop and spam say, stun, the person "standing still" would have the advantage, and not the person running in to cast. Thus the major disadvantage comes to the contestant who is looking to win, and not merely draw. Moreover, if you're playing the max distance game, you likely can't just outrun stun or an alacrity spell at 30' if cast at 20'.

There has to be a safety mechanism against this or else the battle would be a total waste of time.

The same goes with ballista when a winning team has scored 1 petra and proceeds to just run super far from battle or a rook. The winning team can just hide from the other team, prevent the other team from obtaining gate breech and win with a single petra scored.
 Phoenix.Urteil
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-10 16:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zirk said: »

1) How do matches begin? I think starting a fresh match in Dio Ghelsba with 1 minute briefing is best, so you start right next to one another and get about 15 seconds of buff time, then the match starts and you just go for it. Do you normally allow as much time as you want to pre-buff?

2) Upon a death, I think canceling current match and restarting a fresh match so conditions from one bout to the next are all the same is also best, what do you do?

1)I give the enemy and myself, Red Mage or otherwise two complete minutes to prepare for battle in front of me/the audience out of range. We start out of range beyond 26' as I give this courtesy to all ranged jobs Ranger/Black Mages/Corsairs etc. so it is given to every job. The time for engagement is clearly called out.

However generally I simply do not attack until my enemy clearly sees me and says they are ready. Giving them the utmost time to prepare.

2)TP is reset between bouts and HP/MP is refilled. JA's/Abilities that can be used for TP accumulation can then be used to regain that TP during two minutes.

3)They can if they wish, however once the island is entered and the first match begun if someone leaves before the battles are over, including myself, they forfeit.

4)They may use it once strategically, hence the two hour time limit.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-10-10 16:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »

1)I give the enemy and myself, Red Mage or otherwise two complete minutes to prepare for battle in front of me/the audience out of range. We start out of range beyond 26' as I give this courtesy to all ranged jobs Ranger/Black Mages/Corsairs etc. so it is given to every job. The time for engagement is clearly called out.

However generally I simply do not attack until my enemy clearly sees me and says they are ready. Giving them the utmost time to prepare.

2)TP is reset between bouts and HP/MP is refilled. JA's/Abilities that can be used for TP accumulation can then be used to regain that TP during two minutes.

3)They can if they wish, however once the island is entered and the first match begun if someone leaves before the battles are over, including myself, they forfeit.

4)They may use it once strategically, hence the two hour time limit.

Someone call Taj to dc you. If you can't login before the battle is over, you will have effectively "left the field."
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-10 16:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So you don't cancel the match and restart between rounds? I think that should be done to keep things fair, keep everything the same from one bout to the next, nothing carries over, a clean slate to start again.
By Zephin 2012-10-10 17:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

How is it not fair?

He's offering 50mil total for beating him. He should ask you to wear a santa hat and subligar for that.

Btw it is like ppl have never heard of urteil offering gilz/dyna money to beat him. I would not for a second under estimate a guy that has been offering what he has for so long.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-10-10 17:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotta say, this was an interesting *** thread.
[+]
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-10-10 17:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok guys, gonna tell you what to do to beat Urteil... what you gotta' do is... chew sugarless gum.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-10 18:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not fair because resistances build with each cast, so someone could mess up in their first two bouts (likely to happen since they don't have much 1v1 experience compared to Urteil), figure out what they have to do differently to win, but now their enfeebles won't land.

In a game with limited enfeebling, a power house DD like relic/emp/mythic DRK with desperate blows has an extreme advantage, so that rule specifically favors Urteil, both in his experience and job selection.

Urteil can of course keep the rules however he likes, but if he's really interested in testing his power, then the rules should be arranged as much as possible to not favor any jobs. Plus it just makes sense that each round is completely isolated and independent.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-10 18:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Also to add, the main reason Urteil has been offering his reward for so long is the vast majority of people who would want to challenge him have to transfer servers for three months, this kills probably 99% of potential challengers because they have commitments to friends/LS on their home server (including Urteil).

How many people have actually accepted Urteil's challenge, where the money is on the line, and server transferred to his server and the fights actually took place?
 Phoenix.Asherr
user: asherr
By Phoenix.Asherr 2012-10-10 18:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. Also items should not be banned. Poison pots for sleep, echo drops for silence, etc. Also there isn't mention about buffs before the fight. There are a lot of variables. Baliista is way more fun without limits.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-10 19:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I also don't like this starting outside of 26' range thing. As Keityan pointed out, I can see both players just standing there, trying to out wait the other person's manifestation, etc. First person to step inside casting range is at a severe disadvantage because the other person will get to cast and land their enfeebles first.

Having a fresh match with players standing in range of one another ensures the fight starts at the same time for both players, and forces action right from the start, reducing chances of stalemate.
 Cerberus.Dizzmal
Server: Cerberus
user: Dizzmal
By Cerberus.Dizzmal 2012-10-10 19:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys that are talking about him trying to work the system make me lol.. I've faught him several times.. He makes it to where if anyone is @ a disadvantage, it's him.

There seems to be too much bitching about his rules.. You don't like em.. Don't do it. You offer 30M, set your rules ... Trust me, people have taken him up for his offer.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-10 19:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not fair because resistances build with each cast, so someone could mess up in their first two bouts (likely to happen since they don't have much 1v1 experience compared to Urteil), figure out what they have to do differently to win, but now their enfeebles won't land.

In a game with limited enfeebling, a power house DD like relic/emp/mythic DRK with desperate blows has an extreme advantage, so that rule specifically favors Urteil, both in his experience and job selection.

Urteil can of course keep the rules however he likes, but if he's really interested in testing his power, then the rules should be arranged as much as possible to not favor any jobs. Plus it just makes sense that each round is completely isolated and independent.

I am not the person that has to be policed I always reset my TP between rounds and re-join based to get HP/MP and out of pure superstition to reset my own enfeebling resistance. I have noticed that as long as one person dies the enfeebling resistances go back to normal, however I always reset due to recovery, or from Death, the other person will have to do the same.

The idea that you think I am banking on cumulative resistance to carry me through fights is a joke.

People trying to find a way for me to exploit the system to gain an unfair advantage in some way that is "sneaky" is rather humorous. I begin the fight in clear view and engage the enemy when they say they are ready. Is a joke.

It is very overt.

Do people really think I've built up my level on confidence/this challenge by exploiting the system?

Understandable I suppose and would be in my best interest to perhaps let this fly, it would make you underestimate me, make you think I'm a one trick pony.
So you can die easier.

Consistency:
I give every ranger/corsair/Black Mage/Scholar the courtesy of maximum distance before engagement.

I give every kind of Mage/whatever in this game full time to buff and prepare their magic before engagement.

I give Corsairs time to get 11 rolls if they wish and engage them and Samurais often at 300 tp before engagement.

The rules are consistent and yes I do benefit from them, but so does any job having those abilities especially jobs, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Scholar, Corsair, Arguably Samurai benefit from it far more than I.

Samurai has an issue in that I will always take TP so they can choose whether to engage at a high level and give me enough for a WS or try and use their TP ability mid-fight.

I have not been offering 'this' reward for so long, the thread was created a few days ago.

Vs. Most jobs.
So we start right next to each other, no buffs, Weapon Bash, and because there is no delay I load a spell during the animation/while stunned -> Sleep -> Break -> Sleep II. I win.

Try again.

This notion of the match being a stalemate because people are going to wait out manifestations etc has never happened, even with both people actively trying to out of range spells/gain the better footing. I encourage people to try to out of range my spells and vice versa and wait until manifest wears.

What you see is not reality, perhaps if you actually played with the job abilities you are discussing, or had some experience with a job passed level 60, you would see that this kind of situation is hardly based in reality.

Items:

Food is very powerful a Tavnazian Taco/RCB will have drastic effects on the damage people deal, if I use a Tortise Soup in my anti COR setup I could have well over 2300 HP has a hume after %hp is applied.

I have no shortage of money to buy crazy consumables like Panaeceas, Vile Elixirs +1 etc.

Nothing can beat a DRK/RDM who cannot be petrified, slept because of a poison potion, in 50%PDT/MDT via Laerdr pieces fully prepared with a swing speed of 180 on Apocalypse with a WS that heals me.

Actually what I'm going to do is sleep 300% and engage you with level 3 Mythic Aftermath with a delay of 185.

Yea, there we go.

The idea here is make the fight about intelligent gear selection and execution of spells/abilities on the jobs, rather than me walking out 90% of the time and killing everyone through Daiga -> Auto Attacks/Stun.

If someone can get 300tp via the conventions of their gear/JA/spells, awesome.

But I sure as hell can't, and you don't want me to.

Conclusion:

I can work the system very well, I can be more sneaky than any of you, I've seen every trick in the book every attempt at a minuscule advantage. I am very good at being a sneaky son of a ***, I've had years to learn from everyone.

The way this engagement allows any and all spells/abilities to be used.

Allows everyone to be fully prepared and ready before battle, not be ambushed surprised or sucker punched.

Let jobs with the advantage of TP accumulation have that distinct ability, and jobs who do not have it suffer for it.

Let jobs who have the advantage of MP/spells benefit and jobs that do not have it suffer for it.

A 2 hour to drastically turn the tide of battle once during the encounter, neither negating it or making it the end-all to the fight.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2012-10-10 19:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I am curious why no useable items? Meds i can sorta understand but no food use confuses me a little . does food effects offset skill this much ? if it does i should get back to cooking for my gimpy SAM .
 Lye
By Lye 2012-10-10 19:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well... and on top of that... any perceived "disadvantages" you have challenging the OP, he's subject to as well.

EX: Range? It's a two-way street.

It doesn't seem in the spirit of the OP to die once or twice and then run the ENTIRE final fight. If he had, someone would have posted.

I'd be curious as to whether or not anyone has tried to dot kite him!
 Phoenix.Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-10-10 19:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok let me address these issues one at a time.

1. Upon death, your resistances are reset. Meaning, if you die all the enfeebles that you built resistance to during the fight, are gone.

2. Not very well tested but upon a certain amount of time, the resistances you gain from getting enfeebled multiple times begin to fade. Now, this isn't 100% but if you go from one fight and wait a few minutes you will find yourself getting silenced and gravitied the same as at the beginning of your last fight.

3. Urteil, upon killing someone, always resets his status with the NPC so he immediately wipes his resistances, his HP, his MP, and he even takes off his weapon and puts it back on to reset his TP. This gives him the same start as someone who just died.

4. Why hasn't anyone taken Urteil up on his challenge yet? Because from what I've heard, people have been preparing. At least on Phoenix. As for his reach to people on other servers, its more so aimed at people who have nothing on those servers. Its hard pressed to get someone to leave their LS that they've been apart of for any given time. This, I'm sure, he knows.

5. This is a point that has been brought up. The time limit is 2 hours, there is no leaving the zone (Actually leaving it though the NPC or warping) except logging out. This is the exception for one very specific reason. Now, in this two hours the idea is simple. Use these 2 hours very carefully. If you have a job ability that you use to win a fight that has a recast of 15 mins, than don't fight him right away again. Wait for the 15 mins to pass. Give the 2 hours time limit, that is at most 30 mins between wins to use the ability for the final win. Use your two hour whenever you want, because you aren't getting it back.

6. Items? Really? Guys lets fight where I can use food to cap my attack and hit people for 600+ and potinteally 2-3 shot someone before I even get 100 TP. Oh, but I can use wings and get 100 TP, so can WS right off the bat for one fight. Not to mention I'll be immune to sleep, I can then use Panacea to wipe all my status ailments away and then charge in at someone and proceed to destroy them. Giving Urteil the option to use items is only beneficial to him in the long run. Sure you get the bonus as well, but it won't help you nearly as much.

7. The reason Urteil sets it at 26' is for the benefit of his challenger. I've watched many of fights where no matter what, when the match starts he will either charge in and cast a spell or he will immediately run away because the person has a JA/Spell combo that would severely hurt him. So until that thing wears off, he runs and when it does, he come back face to face and starts hitting you. It's up to the challenger to time their combo's where the opponent can't run away from them. So the reason for the 26' distance is to prevent anyone from potential shenanigans such as immediately one shooting someone.
[+]
 Phoenix.Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-10-10 19:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
Well... and on top of that... any perceived "disadvantages" you have challenging the OP, he's subject to as well.

It doesn't seem in the spirit of the OP to die once or twice and then run the ENTIRE final fight. If he had, someone would have posted.

The thing about that is he'll just stand there and erase the dots and question whether or not you think he is Genbu or something.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-10 19:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to kite me all you want, if I pop manifestation and you feel you can run for 60s go ahead.

Do you know what I do when I see unbridled learning and I'm not gravitied?
I get the *** out of there until it wears off.

**I know people won't leave their servers but if they already know this then coming in here being rude and posting about how badass they are is nonsensical.

If I had no intention of going somewhere to fight somebody else who was offering the incentive (because in this thread that's me guys!) I wouldn't be in there posting about how big my nuts are because EVERYONE would say "Put your money where your mouth is Urteil!"
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2012-10-10 19:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to kite me all you want, if I pop manifestation and you feel you can run for 60s go ahead.

Do you know what I do when I see unbridled learning and I'm not gravitied?

I get the *** out of there until it wears off.

It sounds like you have more ballista experience than anyone I know.

How would you beat.... you?
 Sylph.Leroyj
Server: Sylph
user: Leroyj
By Sylph.Leroyj 2012-10-10 19:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

How about this Urteil, I will take on your challenge if you let me bring 16 of my friends with me to fight you, because I don't think 1v1 is fair, nor the complex rules you have set for us I mean it's your challenge so there has to be a handicap on your part to erase any suspicions of you having some sort of advantage. That sound fair?

In all seriousness though, you either take him on or you don't, if you can beat the challenge he has provided then more glory to you, that's what a challenge is, stop trying to alter it.

The man is even willing to discuss with you how you can beat him, I find this hilarious, but that still isn't fair enough.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-10 19:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people are so worried about the intricacies because they themselves need to rely on garnishing every minute detail.

It really is this simple:

Buff up beyond 25'
I'll say when I'm ready.
Say when you're want me to come kill you.
And we are off.

How easy my life would be if I could start 3' away from most jobs.

However I suppose in a way it feels flattering, like a Boss you have to do some elaborate bug to beat, or an infinite, or Knights of Round. etc.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2012-10-10 20:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

However I suppose in a way it feels flattering, like a Boss you have to do some elaborate bug to beat, or an infinite, or Knights of Round. etc.

It can certainly be seen as flattering.

However, I think it's a reflection of how much 30/50 mil is worth to them more than your skill. I think many people wouldn't put out the challenge w/o an ace in the hole, therefore, they assume you have one.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-10 20:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Zephin said: »
How is it not fair?

He's offering 50mil total for beating him. He should ask you to wear a santa hat and subligar for that.

Btw it is like ppl have never heard of urteil offering gilz/dyna money to beat him. I would not for a second under estimate a guy that has been offering what he has for so long.

Actually you get to trade one or the other.

However, I think it's a reflection of how much 30/50 mil is worth to them more than your skill. I think many people wouldn't put out the challenge w/o an ace in the hole, therefore, they assume you have one.

I was being patronizing to tha Max.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-10-10 20:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Zephin said: »
How is it not fair?

Actually you get to trade one or the other.

I was being patronizing to tha Max.

My bad. I have Oblivious merited 5/5.
[+]
 Phoenix.Bohgo
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2012-10-10 21:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiomi said:
Why hasn't anyone taken Urteil up on his challenge yet?
Why haven't you?
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-10 21:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not intending to *** about rules.

If Urteil says he's going to ran into my cast range at the start of the match then I think I can beat him. If he's going to run from me until some of my stuff wears off and I run from him until some of his stuff wears off and a stalemate ensues, then yeah.

Starting outside 26' benefits some strategies and hurts others. It hurts my strategy and if that's the way its going to be I'm not going to waste time/money server transferring because I don't think I can win. If he was already on my server I'd give it a go for the hell of it. If you have to transfer servers, then you want to know the nitty gritty details in advance.
 Phoenix.Bohgo
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2012-10-10 21:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think the outcome of a battle against him solely depends on who can get a spell off first, you're already doing it wrong.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 76 77 78