Atlas Shrugged Movie And Ayn Rand

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Atlas Shrugged Movie and Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged Movie and Ayn Rand
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-10-02 00:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/27/atlas-shrugged-economy/ - Commentary

So the rebooted Ayn Rand novel movie is coming out right in time for the tail end of election season and Ayn Rand herself is a pretty popular source of personal philosophy in some political spheres though the name hasn't quite achieved household status.

The producers and financiers of the movie are counting on her philosophy of objectivism to ring true with viewers who may not be aware of her ideas and unlike the flop that was the last attempt at this flick, marketing is up along with production values.

So how do you guys feel about Objectivism or Ayn Rand in general?
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-02 00:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-02 00:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If i wanted to read a 35k word speech about egotism I'd read it. But who really wants to read a 35k word page speech in the middle of a novel.
 Fenrir.Weakness
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2012-10-02 00:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I never bothered to read it. From what I understand it is a wannabe 1984... only not good.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-02 00:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said: »
Don't get me started on Ayn Rand. I was a hardcore fan of hers for about three years as a teenager. Then I grew up.
link
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-02 00:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Read The Fountainhead at 17. Got to the job creator paradise utopia superfriends club part in Atlas Shrugged and was like wtf am i reading.
[+]
 Odin.Gosuapple
Server: Odin
user: gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2012-10-02 00:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of people who don't like Rand equate her with her followers. The hardcore Marxists out there are some of the most annoying people on the planet. Marx's actual works by contrast, though I disagree with them, are reasoned scholarly discourses; I've got no beef with that. Rand's followers can be, well I be political here and say abrasive, but her actual philosophies are well considered scholarly pursuits. As a game theory professor of mine put it back in the day "True scholars are above petty vendettas and grudges over ideology, but will engage in vigorous debate and argument in the search of truth: this world has precious few real scholars."
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-02 00:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Anthem is not a terrible read if you want the gist of objectivism. It's also pamphlet-sized compared to the coffee table that is Atlas Shrugged.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-02 00:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Part 1: 28/100 on metacritic

Yeah no thanks, if I want to torture myself I'll read it in the original awful form.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-02 00:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Gosuapple said: »
I think a lot of people who don't like Rand equate her with her followers. The hardcore Marxists out there are some of the most annoying people on the planet. Marx's actual works by contrast, though I disagree with them, are reasoned scholarly discourses; I've got no beef with that. Rand's followers can be, well I be political here and say abrasive, but her actual philosophies are well considered scholarly pursuits. As a game theory professor of mine put it back in the day "True scholars are above petty vendettas and grudges over ideology, but will engage in vigorous debate and argument in the search of truth: this world has precious few real scholars."
Read the essay, Ayn Rand followers aren't "real scholars".
I've read Marx, and he's wrong.
 Odin.Gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2012-10-02 00:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
Read the essay, Ayn Rand followers aren't real scholars.
I've read Marx, and he's wrong.

I take issue with some of Rand's work, but some of the most brilliant and insightful people I've ever met sing her the highest of praises. And I agree with Marx being wrong but he made bold claims that were over time empirically testable. Unfortunately his modern day disciples take his work as penultimate truth entirely apart from the evidence.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-02 00:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I take issue with some of Rand's work, but some of the most brilliant and insightful people I've ever met sing her the highest of praises.
Quote:
*** you [Ayn Rand] for turning some of the most open and interesting people I ever met into utopian ***.
This made me laugh.
And I agree with Marx being wrong but he made bold claims that were over time empirically testable. Unfortunately his modern day disciples take his work as penultimate truth entirely apart from the evidence.
It was interesting to an extent. Which disciples in particular do you mean?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-02 01:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

"True scholars are above petty vendettas and grudges over ideology, but will engage in vigorous debate and argument in the search of truth: this world has precious few real scholars."

That's funny. I've never seen a Randhead cast Embrava.
 Odin.Gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2012-10-02 01:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
It was interesting to an extent. Which disciples in particular do you mean?

I'm not thinking of a specific group so much as the many Marxists out there who view his theories as truth unto themselves. If you look at some of the things Marx said he specifically predicted that (in England since that was where he was drawing from) the well being of the ordinary man would decline while the fat cats at the top continued to get richer as a result of industrialization and people would rise up and take back the means of production. Of course what we actually saw was a period of unprecedented rapid growth in the well being of the ordinary citizen in England thanks to industrialization and thus no such uprising. He had a hypothesis that turned out to be wrong, but that's no biggie; it's all part of being a scientist.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-02 01:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I just went into my bathroom to see if I could summon the ghost of Ayn Rand by spinning around and saying her name three times.

It didn't work, but now my roommate things I'm a sociopath.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-10-02 01:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
I just went into my bathroom to see if I could summon the ghost of Ayn Rand by spinning around and saying her name three times.

It didn't work, but now my roommate things I'm a sociopath.

This just in: the development team will be implementing Ayn Rand before Cait Sith.

That's what you were saying, right? This thread is making my brain fuzzy.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-10-02 01:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I only have two qualms Rand.

She acts like middle ground is an awful idea: every character is a pure extreme. She makes sure it's known that only by 100% being on her page can you be 'good', and anything else leads to a reveal about how you're 100% evil.

She can't write worth a damn.
 Odin.Gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2012-10-02 01:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

Sorry you'll need to retract; that phrase is reserved for describing Stephanie Meyer
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-10-02 01:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry you'll need to retract; that phrase is reserved for describing Stephanie Meyer

No, I think I'll stand by it. It's an extension of my first point.

After the first few chapters, her plot is extraordinarily predictable and her characters even moreso because they are very, very 1-dimensional. She also has an addiction to trying to sound lofty.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-02 02:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

She acts like middle ground is an awful idea: every character is a pure extreme. She makes sure it's known that only by 100% being on her page can you be 'good', and anything else leads to a reveal about how you're 100% evil.

Acts like?
John Galt in Atlas Shrugged said:
"There are two sides to every issue: One side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/26/opinion/la-oe-schneider-atlas-shrugged-reviews-20120826
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-02 02:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I think I'll stand by it. It's an extension of my first point.

After the first few chapters, her plot is extraordinarily predictable and her characters even moreso because they are very, very 1-dimensional. She also has an addiction to trying to sound lofty.

From the link I posted earlier, a critic in 1957 wrote:

Quote:
It is probably the worst piece of large fiction written since Miss Rand's equally weighty "The Fountainhead." Miss Rand writes in the breathless hyperbole of soap opera. Her characters are of billboard size...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-10-02 02:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread title reminded me Cloud Atlas is coming out this month.

...moving right along.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-02 10:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Acts like?
"There are two sides to every issue: One side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/26/opinion/la-oe-schneider-atlas-shrugged-reviews-20120826
Well you're either in the moral right or moral wrong. That's a pretty common sentiment for ethics, and her characters and their actions really just exist to demonstrate her philosophy. But as you said 1-dimensional characters aren't particularly engaging in novel form.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-10-02 10:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Fountainhead and definitely Atlas Shrugged are exaggerated a lot. But I don't think any more than other books (that I've read, anyway) that are also trying to send a message. The big one that really stuck with me was Catch-22, and my imperfect memory tells me it was much more irritating and extreme in its exaggerations than Atlas Shrugged.

As far as the characters themselves being larger than life? I really don't know. It's not like they were average people - to me, they were more of Howard Hughes types. Uncommon, yeah, but not unheard of.
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-10-02 10:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, what? Who is John Galt?

PS: I feel bad for actually hitting submit. :)
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-25 21:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama: Ayn Rand Is For Misunderstood Teenagers

Quote:
In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, President Obama said Ayn Rand's writings are appealing to those who are "17 or 18 and feeling misunderstood." But "as we get older," he said, people recognize its "narrow vision."

The relevant portion of the interview:

Have you ever read Ayn Rand?
Sure.

What do you think Paul Ryan's obsession with her work would mean if he were vice president?
Well, you'd have to ask Paul Ryan what that means to him. Ayn Rand is one of those things that a lot of us, when we were 17 or 18 and feeling misunderstood, we'd pick up. Then, as we get older, we realize that a world in which we're only thinking about ourselves and not thinking about anybody else, in which we're considering the entire project of developing ourselves as more important than our relationships to other people and making sure that everybody else has opportunity – that that's a pretty narrow vision. It's not one that, I think, describes what's best in America. Unfortunately, it does seem as if sometimes that vision of a "you're on your own" society has consumed a big chunk of the Republican Party.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-10-25 22:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh. This book was assigned for one of my literature classes in college. There were roughly 30 students in the class, the set-up was we all have x-number of weeks to read each assigned book and then we have class discussions.

Just to give you an idea of how popular this one was, on the first day of Atlas Shrugged discussion no one could discuss a single thing, and after scolding and bellowing from the professor all 30 of us admitted that not a single one of us had read it. The professor ended up assigning a chapter here, a chapter there, because no one wanted to read the whole book.

I didn't read my assigned chapters, either. :x It was some painfully awkward sex scene (I don't think she could have written the language to be more awkward if she tried) and then the other chapter was some blathering about not letting anyone but you own your heart or your life or something like that. But after we all 'read' our assignments, we watched videos in class of Ayn Rand's interviews over the years and ended up focusing on her views on religion/creation for a week or two. Go figure.

Honestly, as a college senior in literature classes, I couldn't handle this book. It was very long, very boring, and even more sleep-inducing than Thoreau's Walden. I have no idea how teenagers even manage to read the darn thing.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-25 22:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It feeds their ego and convinces them that they really are better than everyone around them.
First Page 2