Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Goldsmithing » Goldsmithing 60 - Platinum Ore
Goldsmithing 60 - Platinum Ore
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-09-27 15:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have advice for where to obtain platinum ore? It's not expensive these days, but boy it moves fast off the AH. There are faster ways I can make gil than the money saved farming, but farming might be the most realistic way to obtain ores quickly.

There's not a lot of new discussion on goldsmithing (googling things like: goldsmithing guide 2012) so maybe there's a better skillup synth I'm missing out on.

I mean, I have all Treasure Hunter gear for my thief (who doesn't, right?)
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-09-27 16:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

i cant think of any place where it drops, i think the best bet is to just do hydro claws to 59, then theres a 68 synth i think, lemme look it up rq
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-09-27 16:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Anyone have advice for where to obtain platinum ore? It's not expensive these days, but boy it moves fast off the AH. There are faster ways I can make gil than the money saved farming, but farming might be the most realistic way to obtain ores quickly.

There's not a lot of new discussion on goldsmithing (googling things like: goldsmithing guide 2012) so maybe there's a better skillup synth I'm missing out on.

I mean, I have all Treasure Hunter gear for my thief (who doesn't, right?)

Gardening for platinum nuggets if you want to make platinum ingots.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-09-27 16:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

use kitrons and take a jump to hydro patas at 67? check and see if youve a bonecrafting friend :p
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Server: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2012-09-27 16:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea on getting more platinum ores but, here's what I did:

Mythril Cuisses to 61
Platinum Sheet to 64
Platinum Earring to 67

IMO, ore route will take forever. Your time would probably be better spent farming other things to fund goldsmithing instead of trying to maximize profits while skilling.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-09-27 17:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I found that Boulder Eaters in Gustav (near the pygmytortoise) will drop them...

http://ffxidb.com/zones/212/boulder-eater

...but it's rather rare still, even with TH3+. The upside, is if you choose to farm them, they are part of a GOV page there and also are non-aggressive while passive and non-linking when pulled.

According to the page...

http://ffxidb.com/items/738

...most droppers are NMs, but the Kuftal Diggers also can drop them, with slightly higher rates.

As stated, ore farming is kind of hit-or-miss, but if you are getting other things out of it (skill ups or GOV) maybe it's feasible.

EDIT: Too slow, again. Josiahfk covered the worms LOL.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-09-27 17:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

unquestionable (for me atleast) that at this point in the game, the best place to get plat ores, is from a pt in aby la thien. A worm pt to be exact. Hang out and offer to buy any ore that drops. The only limitation is ppl paying attention. Because most ppl will be glad to free up the invnetory space that quick and get a little gil while their at it.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-09-27 17:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Hydro Patas (67) Are an option, but i found them to be quite a pain. Lot of synthing mets, or massive amount of gills spent buying them.

Fourtionitly i had stocked away a lot or ores before the crafting update. So this was what i did.

Platinum Ore(63) - Fire Crystal, Platinum Orex4
Platinum Sheet (64) - Fire Crystal, Platinum Ingot
Platinum Arrowheads (70) – Wind Crystal, Copper Ingot, Platinum ingot

With support you can even skip the sheet phase. The benefite that arrowheads have over Platinum chains/rings/earrings is that arrowheads only take one ingot. Where as all the others take two. Which means youll get twice as many synths out of your ingots. The profit margin aint the best, but everything in this lvl sux, so jsut pick your poison.
 Sylph.Staleyx
Server: Sylph
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2012-09-27 17:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Just xp on worms and let everyone know that you will buy them after the party or when they leave. This is the path I took.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-09-27 17:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for fast and awesome responses.

Mythril cuisses looks reasonable as a route to get to 61.

I knew Aby worms dropped ores but I have bad luck getting people to pay attention to chat.

Thanks again!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [331 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-08-24 11:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I am surprised you are having an issue. AH.com shows 60+ sales on ore per day. Just camp it for a week or so and you should be able to cap your skill on them.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [97 days between previous and next post]
By Elwynbelwyn 2013-11-29 07:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

See up there where it says "Necro Bump Detected"? A lot can change in a year. So I might as well leave behind some useful info:

Since the new expansion you can just spam marble nuggets from way below cap. They're easy enough to get from mining in Morimar. They're level 72, so you can and should start them before 60. Then start spamming elemental ores, which should be cheap from all the people leveling in Abyssea.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [37 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Krysten
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2014-01-04 21:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

im stuck on 65 lol plat earring is not giving much any skillups anymore
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-01-04 22:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ooooo... goldsmithing 65, the threshold of gold hell.

Platinum Earrings are as good as it gets unless you can find Moblumin Ingots or Fool's Gold Ore.

/comfort