FFXI & Intel HD 4000
 Fenrir.Sharne
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Sharis
By Fenrir.Sharne 2012-09-11 07:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi folks,

Going to be doing a lot of traveling in the next few months and wanted to pick up a cheap new laptop to play FFXI on-the-go.

Yes, I know, lolLaptops, and lolIntel HD Graphics, but i'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with Intel HD 4000 Graphics on a laptop (the new Ivy Bridge chips). I've heard they're a significant increase from HD 3000, although still quite crap. But would it be enough to cap out FFXI's FPS?

The only other game i'd play on it would be League of Legends, which isn't exactly taxing anyway and I can turn down the settings if these graphics can't handle the whole thing. No point paying a considerable sum more if i'm not using it for anything else (merely a travel toy) and HD 4000 works fine. I have a beefy desktop that handles all my games, but I naturally can't take that with me.

The laptop I was looking at is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-15-6-inch-i5-3210-Integrated-Graphics/dp/B008I3E2T6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347365954&sr=8-1 (I can get it for around £100 cheaper where I live, but these are the specs)

Thanks for your time.
 Cerberus.Sharis
Server: Cerberus
user: Sharis
By Cerberus.Sharis 2012-09-11 07:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Perfect. Thank you.

Edit: Posted as wrong char. But thanks regardless.
 Bismarck.Treasurehider
Server: Bismarck
user: Jessee
By Bismarck.Treasurehider 2012-09-11 08:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually use this card to play FFXI a lot and it works great. Everything is smooth and set at high res.

I can even dual-box without any issues.
 Lakshmi.Trunksc
Server: Lakshmi
user: trunksc
By Lakshmi.Trunksc 2012-09-11 08:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on a sandy bridge, it's not even a 2000. The computer sees it as 'Intel HD Graphics'. Works fine. They seem to be a huge improvement over intel's previous chips.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Balias
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Balias 2012-10-19 21:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently built a system on an Asus Maximus V Gene motherboard with i7 3770K cpu, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum sdram, Samsung 830 256 & 512 GB SSD's and a GTX 690 video card. Final Fantasy XI runs great but crashes a lot at the most unwanted moments. This forces me play on my Sandy Bridge laptop to avoid the crashes. Haven't seen anyone else with these issues or found anything on google.
 Ragnarok.Weeks
Server: Ragnarok
user: weeks
By Ragnarok.Weeks 2012-10-19 21:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Doubt anyone is still reading this, but for anyone in the future: I built this computer with an i7-3770S, which features HD4000 graphics and is Intel's best CPU at 65W TDP. FFXI experiences significant slowdown with avatars onscreen, as low as 21 FPS. It's still playable, but it's pretty disappointing and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a computer without discrete graphics for FFXI.
By eagleeyes 2012-10-19 21:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Weeks said: »
Doubt anyone is still reading this, but for anyone in the future: I built this computer with an i7-3770S, which features HD4000 graphics and is Intel's best CPU at 65W TDP. FFXI experiences significant slowdown with avatars onscreen, as low as 21 FPS. It's still playable, but it's pretty disappointing and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a computer without discrete graphics for FFXI.
The IGP itself isn't that bad really, Intel's graphics driver just suck and not well optimized(if at all) for DX8.

Intel 4000 running Crysis 2: