Chatoyant Staff : Is It Better Than Magian Staffs?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Chatoyant Staff : Is it better than Magian Staffs?
Chatoyant Staff : Is it better than Magian Staffs?
 Shiva.Rammza
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rammza
By Shiva.Rammza 2012-08-02 06:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Tested it on the worms in La Theine with atmas MM, Beyond, and Hell's Guardian with Ice damage on Sch. Fully buffed with hailstorm and klimaform.

Here is my nuking set:
Vourukasha I
non-resisted/Mcrit Damage:7095

Chatoyant Staff
Non-resisted/Mcrit Damage:7276

Could Chatoyant staff be better than the magian staffs for sch? Could the same damage difference be said about the other magical elements?

I need other sch peps who have other elemental magian staffs to do more testing. Don't wanna make another magian staff to find out im right...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-08-02 06:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you grab another ice dmg atma instead of MM or hell's guardian, chatoyant will be better inside abyssea for ice spells.
So in a way it's better..
But how often does that situation really occur these days? Do you spend the majority if your time nuking in abyssea with only one element?
If you're a hardcore mage, you still want to make magian staffs, as these will be better most of the time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2012-08-02 06:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

i would agree . basing that desision on critical hits is silly . helix spells dont (seem) to have critical hits not to mention they have a hard cap of 999 , something not to difficult to hit in abyssea with a full magian staff . focalization in chato , ebullience in magian .
 Shiva.Rammza
By Shiva.Rammza 2012-08-02 07:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you see I am a hardcore Sch, F Blm, im trying to find out if this one staff beats out any Nuking staff of the magian that you make having the obi with the correct weather. Even if you were blm/sch the only staff, if im correct, that would beat out chatoyant would be the Thunder Magian Staff since thunderstorm in unavailable for /sch.

Also, who really hast the time to make all the staffs and fully upgrad them. If it turns out to be right that the C staff is greater than the Magians wouldn't it be better and easier to make Obi of all the elements, and if desired to use magic that has to do with the obi and weather of the matching day to give it more of a kick?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-08-02 07:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Read what I said.

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
If you grab another ice dmg atma instead of MM or hell's guardian, chatoyant will be better inside abyssea for ice spells. So in a way it's better.. But how often does that situation really occur these days? Do you spend the majority if your time nuking in abyssea with only one element?

There is your answer :P
I belive the exact amount someone said was, if you have +40 affinity from atmas, chatoyant will be better fully buffed.
That means only in abyssea, and only with 1 element at the time depending on your atmas.
The reason for this is the way HQ staffs(including chatoyant) is calculated vs magian staffs, which give affinity similar to atmas(HQ staffs have their own bonus simply called "Staff bonus", which is a flat out +15%).
So in areas where you don't have any outside affinity, magian staffs will be better no matter what.
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2012-08-02 08:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

as a hardcore mage i desire all gear that ups my output in any situation given inventory allows it . if you are lookin for justification to only having 1 magian staff then do what you want . there are plenty of ppl who have more than 2 dmg and a cure staff . there are quite a few sch with full obi sets . you pay for your account , you play as you see fit . but if you ask for opinions dont expect everyone to tell you what u wanna hear .
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-02 09:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunder, ice damage staves. Thunder accuracy staff.

Arka IV.

Dark damage, staff if you're cheeky.

Chatoyant for everything else. Call it a day.
[+]
By Aikawa 2012-08-02 09:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Use MAB atmas only.. and try again.
 Shiva.Rammza
By Shiva.Rammza 2012-08-02 22:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Atmas:
1. MM
2. Hell's Guardian
3. Baying Moon

Vourukasha I
non-resisted/Mcrit Damage:5987

Chatoyant Staff
Non-resisted/Mcrit Damage:5599

Magian Still the best outisde of abby, Chatoyant still slightly better inside abby. A good alternative for Scholars who don't have magian.
 Phoenix.Eckeward
user: eckeward
By Phoenix.Eckeward 2012-08-06 08:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

By my calculations:

Outside Abyssea, magian staff is ~8% more damaging.
Inside abyssea, the differences are about 1%.

But then there's rounding errors, the INT+5, mAcc+30,...
 Sylph.Takitu
Server: Sylph
user: takito
By Sylph.Takitu 2012-08-06 10:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why everyone makes their testing inside abyssea??????????

Honestly guys go out and make REAL testings <_<
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2012-08-06 11:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Takitu said: »

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-08-06 11:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
So does the Staff in question replace Earth/Terra for Damage Taken%?

why should it? It has not a single PDT on it

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By daemun 2012-08-06 11:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So it is only replacing Light and Dark? I purchased on, but I still don't see what the big deal is D:
The big deal is people are lazy and want to equate their hypothesis with real world applications.

Just like all the stuff that came out at the end of the 75 era, the magian staves are king like the elemental staves used to be. Data backs this up and mages that want to be the best of the best will spend the time getting them. People who are satisfied with sub-stellar but still decent gear will utilize this "one size fits all" staff.

With every piece of gear in this game, it boils down to opportunity costs and which piece of gear is worth it to the individual player.
By mortontony1 2012-08-06 12:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

ELe staves < HQ ele staves < Chatoyant < Magians, right?
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-08-06 14:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Rammza said: »
Well you see I am a hardcore Sch
Shiva.Rammza said: »
Also, who really hast the time to make all the staffs and fully upgrad them.
Not even close to hardcore.

mortontony1 said: »
ELe staves < HQ ele staves < Chatoyant < Magians, right?
In general yes.
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2012-08-06 15:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Takitu said: »

it's just people lying to themselves to feel better cause they're too lazy to do the ToM staffs
 Phoenix.Eckeward
user: eckeward
By Phoenix.Eckeward 2012-08-07 03:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »

So it is only replacing Light and Dark? I purchased on, but I still don't see what the big deal is D:

It has the same magic damage/accuracy and avatar perp bonuses as all the HQ staves put together in only one inventory slot. Not to mention Iridescence boosts the magic damage even more,... if you have weather.
So from a mage point of view it replaces all staves except Earth Staff. (I'm assuming you had all 8 and not just those 3.)
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-08-07 04:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »

Well it has, like said before, 15% Magicdmg, 30 macc and -3 avatar perp cost for all elements. It looses most special buffs on the staffs and only keeps Dark and Light effect (hmp and curepot) If you dont own or plan to own any Magian staffs you can use this staff for all offensive magic (and Wildfire).

So at minimum a mage can carry this staff now instat of 8 Elemental staffs and be ok with it. But depending what you do you should carry a Terra still, and if RNG is a mainjob for you also a Vulcan staff. You can read more about it here: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Chatoyant_Staff

edit: i saw you got the NQ Staff, it has 10% Magic potency, 20 Magic acc and -2 perp cost to all elements. The weather effect is the same like HQ.