A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 99 100 101
By Smurfite 2013-01-17 20:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
Stun is ALT+1. Always ALT+1!

this ^
[+]
 Odin.Registry
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2013-01-17 20:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
Odin.Registry said: »
No wonder you miss so many stuns!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

I shouldn't talk though, I type everything but stuns.
>>Implies I miss stuns
>>During legion
>>Which hes ditching
>>Right now

In class. D:

(so are you, I think?)
[+]
By Solrain 2013-01-17 20:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfite said: »
Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
Stun is ALT+1. Always ALT+1!

this ^
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-17 21:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

No wonder you miss so many stuns!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

I shouldn't talk though, I type everything but stuns.
>>Implies I miss stuns
>>During legion
>>Which hes ditching
>>Right now

In class. D:

(so are you, I think?)
Naw, not till next week :3. And when did I miss the alt+1 stun macro memo? might have to move it!
 Cerberus.Bikpik
Server: Cerberus
user: Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-01-22 06:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I just had a question about your Enhancing sets.

Your 500 enhancing skill set has 509 (w/ merits) and your 450 set actually has 488 skill (w/ merits). Is that intentional, or just because you got the gear? I'm looking for ways to cut down my inventory, and this seems a good place to start, since we can get 450+ skill with just AF legs, AF2 Body, AF3+2 head and merits. Unless there's some other reason to keep some skill gear to get over 500?
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-22 06:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting to 500 is useful for en- spells, phalanx, and of course Embrava. Getting over 500 skill at the moment does nothing so if you can save some inventory room by all means do; I have to admit I sold my augmenting earring months ago.

The first set listed on the first page is meant to show the best in slot options so people can mix/match their way to 500skill based on what they have and what events they like doing, and the 2nd was to show a budget set to get to 500skill(if only when enlightenment is up) on what I feel would be the minimum amount of work.

Edit: I screwed up the set though and apparently didn't get it back to 500 when I was messing with it>< fixing that now.
 Cerberus.Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-01-22 06:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting to 500 is useful for en- spells, phalanx, and of course Embrava. Getting over 500 skill at the moment does nothing so if you can save some inventory room by all means do; I have to admit I sold my augmenting earring months ago.

The first set listed on the first page is meant to show the best in slot options so people can mix/match their way to 500skill based on what they have and what events they like doing, and the 2nd was to show a budget set to get to 500skill(if only when enlightenment is up) on what I feel would be the minimum amount of work.

Edit: I screwed up the set though and apparently didn't get it back to 500 when I was messing with it>< fixing that now.

Ok thanks, but how important is it to get to 500 skill? I just returned after taking over a year off, and I haven't gotten into any of the new stuff yet. I checked the differences in 450 and 500 skill, and all I'm seeing is an extra 2dmg on enspells, 2 dmg reduction on phalanx, 1 tp regain and 9HP regen on embrava (magic haste will cap with anything over 430 skill and haste spell). Is that really necessary for stuff like legion, NNI and the new Salvage?
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-22 07:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Although I want to pretend it is, not really. It is just to be that little bit better.
 Cerberus.Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-01-22 07:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok good to know, thanks
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-01-27 08:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if it was asked already or its a stupid question, but aren't the Morrigan's +1 Hands better for Nuking than Nares since the set bonus with the Body is giving you +2 MAB, and thats not counting all of the Magic Accuracy that you get from Morrigan's?
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-28 13:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Because of nares' set bonus nares hands do 2int more damage on targets that you don't need accuracy on. Eye balling my nukes I don't seem to resist on anything I fight so at the moment I think nares are the best hands. If some target ever comes out that needs the acc, or nares cap is replaced, morri will become the best.
By Miico 2013-01-28 13:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Demonjustin said: »
Sorry if it was asked already or its a stupid question, but aren't the Morrigan's +1 Hands better for Nuking than Nares since the set bonus with the Body is giving you +2 MAB, and thats not counting all of the Magic Accuracy that you get from Morrigan's?

Yes, the 3 worthwhile Morri damage pieces > Nares
Nares = 28mab 14int
Morri = 38mab 21int

Best Sch Damage setup as of right now (not including any possible, though unlikely, goodies from new meebles. Minus Erlene's Notebook)
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 13:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Miico said: »

Nares = 28mab 14int
Morri = 38mab 21int

Best Sch Damage setup as of right now (not including any possible, though unlikely, goodies from new meebles. Minus Erlene's Notebook)

This is a sch thread, why are you not using obi/twilight cape and AF3+2 shoes? Is this really the hands down best? Also you have a dark ring in there...huh?
By Miico 2013-01-28 13:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Bikpik said: »

Ok thanks, but how important is it to get to 500 skill? I just returned after taking over a year off, and I haven't gotten into any of the new stuff yet. I checked the differences in 450 and 500 skill, and all I'm seeing is an extra 2dmg on enspells, 2 dmg reduction on phalanx, 1 tp regain and 9HP regen on embrava (magic haste will cap with anything over 430 skill and haste spell). Is that really necessary for stuff like legion, NNI and the new Salvage?

Not important at all. Helpful for sure, but it won't make or break anything at the moment. It's best to think that maxing out sch atm is simply prep for upcoming content. Plans to change embrava, however, can have a big impact on the future, or lack thereof, of scholar and further make the maxing out, senseless.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 14:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Chronosphere said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »

Nares = 28mab 14int
Morri = 38mab 21int

This is a sch thread, why are you not using obi/twilight cape and AF3+2 shoes? Is this really the hands down best? Also you have a dark ring in there...huh?

No idea about you, but sometimes I forget other weather spells exist and I go from Blizzard>Thunder which means I equip a different waist/back piece!

"Best" implies no conditional variables unless stated.. Also explain the dark ring? lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 14:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You're kidding, right?

Also, it doesn't take a genius to understand that that's supposed to be Galdr/Diamond/Icesoul/Zodiac (when applicable)

The ring is more of a joke. You do type in the item to the set so it was an obvious fail. But seriously, if you're saying "best" you should at least state conditionally. Saw was gonna do some tests (not sure if he did) on morr+1 feet vs AF3+2 anyways, which is why I asked in the first damn place. It was my understanding that those boots were pretty top notch, considering storms aren't hard to put up. Also the nares vs morri set was up for question. Not sure if the partial set bonuses have been completely 100% established yet.
By Miico 2013-01-28 14:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry. Fixed the ring. For the sake of the item set, no obi or twilight were included. I'm hoping it's common sense to have those. Granted, MOST TIMES (this means not always) I don't even do obi switches on my sch. On blm it's a must. Sch gear, however, fill up enough space as it is. I do legion, NNI, Neo Salvage, and VW. Heavy nukes are really not the forte on sch when at those events. 1/5 halls in legion, sometimes in NNI, Neo Salvage not often in a trio, VW I would've gone blm if i felt like doing heavy damage.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 14:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread isn't a blm v sch debate though. This is what is optimal for sch and nuking is an aspect of sch >_<. I'm just trying to get information like everybody else. I like to nuke on sch, and don't play/like blm.
By Miico 2013-01-28 14:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to nuke on sch, and don't play/like blm.
Interesting. I actually love to nuke and doing so on sch, because of the slow casts, irks me(in comparison to blm). Anywho, I put up Highest MAB sch set. My blm comparison was only mentioned because some people will bish since i mentioned i don't use obi's 24/7 as they simply take up alot of space that I don't really have with an Enhancing, Healing, Dark Magic, Damage, and Fast Cast set.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 14:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to nuke on sch, and don't play/like blm.
Interesting.

I guess you can call it that. It's because sch is so much more, yet it's nuking isn't underwhelming nor is it's healing capabilities. With rapture/ebull can push out numbers that rival blm, though I don't use stratagems for cast time typically because spells you want to cast quick are usually reactionary casts like stun, and using a stratagem for that would make your stun go off way too late to be useful.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-28 16:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, the 3 worthwhile Morri damage pieces > Nares Nares = 28mab 14int Morri = 38mab 21int Best Sch Damage setup as of right now (not including any possible, though unlikely, goodies from new meebles. Minus Erlene's Notebook)
taubran>romanus>searing
nares hands>morri+1 unless you need acc (but if you need acc you would be fighting something with weather/klimaform)
Saevus>stoich almost always
meniacus>othila almost always
Also, 3 int is aprox equal to slightly better than 1mab. Since 3int basically crushes 1 mab for helixes/kaustra, I recomend using wizzan (or the new one) for nukes and saving the inventory.

Edit: This is all assuming no weather/klima

And honestly, you are on sch, for almost everything you pick 1 element and alternate 4/5 Nukes. If thats not enough use the Day nuke for efficiency. The only time I can think of you would nuke w/o weather is VW procing.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-28 16:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You're kidding, right? Also, it doesn't take a genius to understand that that's supposed to be Galdr/Diamond/Icesoul/Zodiac (when applicable)
Saw was gonna do some tests (not sure if he did) on morr+1 feet vs AF3+2 anyways, which is why I asked in the first damn place.
I'll probably get and use them regardless due to the fact they can double as mnd debuff shoes and will crush AF3+2 with klima down. The inventory space is probably more valuable than the dps difference. Edit: Savant's +2 look to be just ahead of nares if the magic acc from ele skill does nothing.

Edit: along those lines, I still normally use af3+2 shoes though as in general I only bring what I assume i'll need (and when that includes nuking gear, the feet are pretty important).
By Checkmeout 2013-02-02 19:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

question.. with phalanx and stoneskin, you can only cast those on the members in your party but not the other party members thats inside the alliance but outside of the party you are in with accession ?
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-02-02 19:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You cant actually cast Stoneskin or Phalanx on other players so its just that party with accession.
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2013-02-28 11:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Colway
user: colway
By Odin.Colway 2013-03-06 04:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

i have a quick question about staves for nuking. would a dorje be better then chatoyant staff WITH weather up and using obi + twilight cape. im no good at nuke dmg calculations. hope someone can reply. thanks in advance.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-03-06 05:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

no
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-03-17 06:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is our skill chain guide that our author was promising months ago when Neo salvage came out?

And coming into a empy staff this weekend, this should be added. This staff offers much for sch.

You can protect shell, regen V and embrava all members of your party in legion or anywhere. Then assuming you have TP in one form or another can target and weapon skill a HNM and regain 400-1200+ MP. In doing so you don't even agro these NM's. Even if they have not been agro yet.

The erase that's on this staff takes away everything excluding weakness from death. I personally think SE should fix that as it says it can remove any.

One doesn't even need sublimation anymore.
This staff alone makes MP when embrava is up at the moment very easy to do a 80% MP refresh non stop. in events like NNI. I can't even get rid of my MP fast enough vs. the mp gotten back with this staff fast enough.

After the embrava nerf, I still use our TP spell, plus the regain +1 earring. If your in an alliance and have a cor, his TP is effective as well.

In addition our JT Occult Acumen III, can be geared up with store TP gear so we get 25 - 30+ TP every t5 spell. Or 60 for impact.

The author should also take into account Mag. Burst Bonus III as we can stack gear to mahe it T4 - V. And thus doing our insane drains or MB Kaustra's and lay to waste most mobs that stand before us.

I do recommend adding these two paths after the update as new gear will be out anyway.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 99 100 101