A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 52 53 54 ... 99 100 101
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-25 09:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Sure here are some I use:

Thanks so much Toralin! I'm always asking people for sets on guides, and this is exactly what the doctor ordered. I just recently got my 550 gift, and while my gear is somewhat acceptable, it's a long way off yours, so thanks again for giving me something to work toward without having to spend tons of time looking through lists of gear.

Currently enjoying the power the job gives, being able to set skillchains going at will is rather liberating. Also the power of buffs is on another level, I got my Regen duration to almost 10 minutes if I remember right from the other day. Now I just need to figure out how to bring in those Klimaform feet when the buff is up ... manually without gearswap. Guess I'll need a couple more sets to do that.
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-25 09:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
	if buffactive.Klimaform and spell.skill == "Elemental Magic" and spell.element == world.weather_element then
		equipSet = set_combine(equipSet,{feet="Arbatel Loafers +1"})
	end

SCH is extremely powerful, you can kill almost everything in the game with Helix/Trusts/Reraise
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-25 09:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Tora wasn't it proved by the math formula that Helix benefit more from INT than Mab, compared to high tier spells where the situations is kinda the other way around?

With these days' gear it hardly matters since most pieces that have good mab are likely to have good INT as well, but for a couple of slots (like belt for instance!) there are good INT alternatives.
I remember Acuity Belt+1 has INT+13, wouldn't that be better than mab+10 from refoccilation stone, ruling Macc+4 out?

looks like INT9~13, 13 if your chasing unity leaders which seem to be *** as of late (Apururu FOR LIFE). but not sure, I suppose as long as your hitting 10k who cares? but I would concede that a +13 int could be better than refo stone
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-10-25 11:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I see your point, but it's a situation similar to Lugh vs Bookworm.
There's a threshold of initial damage below which it's more convenient to use Lugh vs Bookworm and vice-versa.

Like if you're hitting too low, it's better to have less tocs but closer to 10k (and Lugh can provide quite a huge boost in damage).
Or if you're fighting enemies that might not last long enough for the additional charges provided by Bookworm, or... I dunno, monsters that have a chance to erase Helix effect? Stuff like that.

I have a toggle for Bookworm vs Lugh altough frankly I forget to make use of it most of the time xD

Edit:
Another slot that could be swapped in your set is the Grip. I seem to recall there's one dropping from Reisen T3 who has INT+5, mdmg and something else. Likely to perform better than what you're using atm, granted it woudl be a smaller difference than Refocillation vs Acuity+1
By OrowinAsura 2016-10-25 12:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 343188

Question, why Saevus over Eddy in Nuking set?
Still learning the SCH ropes. Thanks for posting all this.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-10-25 12:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

OrowinAsura said: »
ItemSet 343188

I think he meant Saevus +1
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-25 13:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
	if buffactive.Klimaform and spell.skill == "Elemental Magic" and spell.element == world.weather_element then
	end

SCH is extremely powerful, you can kill almost everything in the game with Helix/Trusts/Reraise

How do you add that? I don't use gearswap at all.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-25 14:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
OrowinAsura said: »
ItemSet 343188

I think he meant Saevus +1
oops yeah +1, updated
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-25 14:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Code
	end

before farming any gear I would stop and figure out gearswap, the value it provides (especially for a mage job) is better than any number of HQ items you could ever obtain
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-25 14:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
	end

before farming any gear I would stop and figure out gearswap, the value it provides (especially for a mage job) is better than any number of HQ items you could ever obtain

I've tried but all I ever see is <code> blah blah blah </code>. I'm ok with html, and stuff like that, but when I look at gearswap scripts, it's just like it used to be with Spellcast; totally alien. I never used that either, I stayed away from it as much as possible. I was content using regular scripts and in-game macros and no one ever complained I was being too slow on any job I was using. I never felt the necessity to learn it so I could play a job.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefits of some gear coming in automatic. At the same time I like to decide on my own what happens and doesn't happen. It would feel like I'm not really playing the game if I had scripts do things for me automatically. Perhaps I'm strange like that .. I like to play the game as intended to some degree, and any automation is like turning the game in to another FF13 which I certainly didn't get along with.
 Asura.Blitzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2016-10-26 09:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone post their skillchain macros?
 Neb
By Neb 2016-10-26 09:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

line 1 /p Skillchain Impaction
line 2 /ja "Immanence" <me> <wait 1>
line 3 /ma "Water" <t> <wait 5>
line 4 /ja "Immanence" <me> <wait 1>
line 5 /ma "Thunder" <t> <wait 1>
line 6 /p Burst Thunder Magic
[+]
By Verda 2016-10-26 09:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

with max fast cast you can do 1-4-1, but I have found even doing 1-5-1 will cause the game to occasionally tell me I can't cast a spell after using immanence, it could be a net issue as this always works for some people but if you ever get a failed macro the safest bet is to do 2-5-2. I also know some that have separate macros so that it never fails too.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-26 14:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

with max fast cast you can self-sc then Soldier's drink + Ebullience + Helix2 (obviously Escha zones only with Soldier's)
[+]
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2016-10-26 16:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
	end

I've tried but all I ever see is <code> blah blah blah </code>. I'm ok with html, and stuff like that, but when I look at gearswap scripts, it's just like it used to be with Spellcast; totally alien. I never used that either, I stayed away from it as much as possible. I was content using regular scripts and in-game macros and no one ever complained I was being too slow on any job I was using. I never felt the necessity to learn it so I could play a job.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefits of some gear coming in automatic. At the same time I like to decide on my own what happens and doesn't happen. It would feel like I'm not really playing the game if I had scripts do things for me automatically. Perhaps I'm strange like that .. I like to play the game as intended to some degree, and any automation is like turning the game in to another FF13 which I certainly didn't get along with.

ok Gearswap and Spellcast are 2 different things

Spellcast uses .xml and it will lag / glitch armor (not change)

Gearswap uses .lua and it will be fully functional (always work)

now, as far as code itself the best way to learn is to "Trial and Error" it

If you want , I can send you a file and even Walk you thought it

Truly not hard , once you grasp the basics it will be your favorite programming language too :D

Let me know if you are interested. (Offer is up to anybody that needs a little help on it)

:)
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-27 14:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
Code
	end

Truly not hard , once you grasp the basics it will be your favorite programming language too :D

Let me know if you are interested. (Offer is up to anybody that needs a little help on it)

Thanks for the help Kuroganashi. It would be cool to learn all of this, but at the same time I have limited time to do trial and error. Perhaps another week I can find some time and try it out. For the time being I just use my Arbatel feet in my nuking macros as most of the time I'm going to have storms+klimaform anyways.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-31 08:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone got a BiS Regen potentcy set?

Bolelabunga
Arbatel Bonnet +1
Telchine body/hand/leg/feet (+Potent)

is there anything else?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-10-31 09:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone got a BiS Regen potentcy set?

Bolelabunga
Arbatel Bonnet +1
Telchine body/hand/leg/feet (+Potent)

is there anything else?

Augments on Bookworms Cape
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2016-10-31 09:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
Code
	end

Thanks for the help Kuroganashi. It would be cool to learn all of this, but at the same time I have limited time to do trial and error. Perhaps another week I can find some time and try it out. For the time being I just use my Arbatel feet in my nuking macros as most of the time I'm going to have storms+klimaform anyways.

Not a Problem, just thought would offer some help

I know how hard it is when you need help and nobody offers.

So ya, :)

if ya need anything let me know Bro !
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-11-06 22:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anybody seen above 10 enhancing duration on Grioavolr? I just got an augment of 10 using Pellucid, which I did not think was possible outside of using Fern.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-11-06 22:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I've experienced that as well in addition to a FC+7 with Pellucid, too. My thoughts at the time were that weapons may be similar to armor in that Fern stones don't increase the max "special" stat slot on most weapons the same way Pellucids don't increase the max Att/Acc slot on most armor as further suggested by the whole Skinflayer TA cap debate.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-11-06 23:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That would make sense, and would explain why pellucid raise the stat cap on weapons but not on armor. Definitely an interesting swap. I guess I can just keep throwing pellucid at things and hope for the best, now.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-11-07 03:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ramsy said: »
Maybe I'm missing something why is everyone putting other augs on FC cape if that's all it's used for?

Could also toss MP+60 on there from Thread for Myrkr, plus another MP+20 from Dye if you really wanna go all out. That's BiS for SCH Myrkr, yeah? Didn't see anything better on a quick search. Personally, I'm still using Pahtli MP+50 in my set, and Tantalic also has MP+50. It's certainly not a huge priority, but BiS is BiS and it's something you could do with an augment slot that may not otherwise really be helping anything (though, MND/Macc or INT/Macc also seem reasonable for MND or INT enfeebles).

You can usually find *something* semi-useful in other cape slots if it bugs you to have an "incomplete" set of augments.

For instance, I had a PUP tanking cape with pet regen+10 from Sap, and neither other slot would be of any use to me for tanking (I actually dislike pet acc, I want to slow puppet TP gain if possible to prevent the puppet from messing up my SCH's SCs!). However, stuck Meva (Thread) on it for the master since I'm often idle in it. Pet MAB/MAcc (Dust) on the off chance I ever want to nuke with the puppet; that's also another case where Thread/Sap slots would not benefit me at all so it's nice to pair with other oddball augs.
 Neb
By Neb 2016-11-07 09:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Asura.Ramsy said: »
Maybe I'm missing something why is everyone putting other augs on FC cape if that's all it's used for?

Could also toss MP+60 on there from Thread for Myrkr, plus another MP+20 from Dye if you really wanna go all out. That's BiS for SCH Myrkr, yeah? Didn't see anything better on a quick search. Personally, I'm still using Pahtli MP+50 in my set, and Tantalic also has MP+50. It's certainly not a huge priority, but BiS is BiS and it's something you could do with an augment slot that may not otherwise really be helping anything (though, MND/Macc or INT/Macc also seem reasonable for MND or INT enfeebles).

You can usually find *something* semi-useful in other cape slots if it bugs you to have an "incomplete" set of augments.

For instance, I had a PUP tanking cape with pet regen+10 from Sap, and neither other slot would be of any use to me for tanking (I actually dislike pet acc, I want to slow puppet TP gain if possible to prevent the puppet from messing up my SCH's SCs!). However, stuck Meva (Thread) on it for the master since I'm often idle in it. Pet MAB/MAcc (Dust) on the off chance I ever want to nuke with the puppet; that's also another case where Thread/Sap slots would not benefit me at all so it's nice to pair with other oddball augs.

I have MND + Macc/Mdmg on all my FC capes to use for Enfeelbles its a great combo/Inv +1
By mrlooolz 2016-11-15 05:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

came in panicked as a new scholar and got through these 53 pages. I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for taking the time to answer question and helping new people like me and others!
 Sylph.Taruranto
user: Tarlant
By Sylph.Taruranto 2016-11-15 13:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Question from a fresh 99 SCH:

Does Pedagogy Mortarboard work as a fast cast piece? I'm kinda confused by it.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-11-15 13:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, only for the cast time but not recast time.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-11-15 13:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it behaves as 10% FC if you're casting a spell from your currently active Arts (examples: Healing Magic while under Light Arts, Elemental Magic while under Dark Arts).

It won't work if you're casting something that conflicts tho, like Stoneskin while in Dark Arts.
 Bismarck.Herzins
user: Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2016-11-15 13:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure here are some I use:
Enhancing Duration (with Perp)
ItemSet 347308
Fastcast
ItemSet 347013
Nuking
ItemSet 343188
Helix
ItemSet 341515
Magic Burst
ItemSet 343187
Enfeeble
ItemSet 347309

I have a toggle on my gearswaps to lock/unlock my Staff, most situations MP is not an issue so do not need to use Mykr. This allows Grio to come in for Enhancing duration/Enfeeble. Schah staff is better than Max aug Grio for Enhancing Duration if you have ability to get it.

Keep in mind a TON of power comes from Job Points just like BLM

For Fast cast, isn't it a bad idea to use so much occ. quickens magic gear slots when it comes to self-skillchain? If insta-cast a spell, then you'll get the "unable to use that ability" message. I guess, unless you have separate macros, this shouldn't matter, but I have all in one macro, what are your thoughts?
First Page 2 3 ... 52 53 54 ... 99 100 101