A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 99 100 101
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2015-09-01 08:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun note/repost. Went out this morning for fun and ended up soloing all 6 Caturaes on SCH. Not a true solo (used trusts Star Sibyl, Apururu, and August for procs). The other 2 members were just fillers to pop the NMs. What I did was popped, slow/paralyze, then SC > ionohelix. Kept Blink/Stoneskin up to prevent some TP gain from Caturaes. Then, finished them off w/ thunder SCs (bliz > thunder = thunder MB, or shattersoul > thunder = thunder MB). If tab gambit were to pop up and proc wasn't me (ice/thunder/staff), I'd engage and let August hopefully proc while healing him. The easiest NMs that just fell over within 5 mins were Bia, Khon, and Met. Ma's unchivalrous stab (AoE HP/MP down) forced me to either engage for apururu to erase or pop a myrkr. Rhea has too high of magic evasion to land slow/paralyze, so just spammed thunder SCs. It seemed to have more MDT -% as its HP went down. Thunder V MBs went from 8k to 4-6k near the end. As for the toughest one Khun, He pops a TP move in the beginning, which was tab gambit for me. His tab gambit had a doom aura, so I engaged and moved myself away while letting August tank. Luckily proc was thunder but my NPCs did die. Rest of the fight went smooth, continued to helix MB, then thunder SC til it died within 5 mins. Definitely some luck involved but just a fun idea in case anybody knows a veteran SCH. Also, SCH can solo all the other T1s in Ru-Aun and Zitah even w/o trusts.
By BlaTheTaru 2015-09-01 10:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Hiep said: »
Fun note/repost. Went out this morning for fun and ended up soloing all 6 Caturaes on SCH. Not a true solo (used trusts Star Sibyl, Apururu, and August for procs). The other 2 members were just fillers to pop the NMs. What I did was popped, slow/paralyze, then SC > ionohelix. Kept Blink/Stoneskin up to prevent some TP gain from Caturaes. Then, finished them off w/ thunder SCs (bliz > thunder = thunder MB, or shattersoul > thunder = thunder MB). If tab gambit were to pop up and proc wasn't me (ice/thunder/staff), I'd engage and let August hopefully proc while healing him. The easiest NMs that just fell over within 5 mins were Bia, Khon, and Met. Ma's unchivalrous stab (AoE HP/MP down) forced me to either engage for apururu to erase or pop a myrkr. Rhea has too high of magic evasion to land slow/paralyze, so just spammed thunder SCs. It seemed to have more MDT -% as its HP went down. Thunder V MBs went from 8k to 4-6k near the end. As for the toughest one Khun, He pops a TP move in the beginning, which was tab gambit for me. His tab gambit had a doom aura, so I engaged and moved myself away while letting August tank. Luckily proc was thunder but my NPCs did die. Rest of the fight went smooth, continued to helix MB, then thunder SC til it died within 5 mins. Definitely some luck involved but just a fun idea in case anybody knows a veteran SCH. Also, SCH can solo all the other T1s in Ru-Aun and Zitah even w/o trusts.

Hmmmm.... Thought you forgot how to sch.
By Ulthakptah 2015-09-03 11:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay so Amalric +1 is pretty much a pipe dream for most people. If the NQ costed something like 10 mil which pieces of the set would be worth buying?
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-09-03 11:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ulthakptah said: »
Okay so Amalric +1 is pretty much a pipe dream for most people. If the NQ costed something like 10 mil which pieces of the set would be worth buying?
NQ Hands are 100% the new nuking hands and replace Helios for both MB and non.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-03 13:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hands = must have
Body = best MAB/MACC combo piece, only a few MAB behind perfect Witching Robe
Head = Utility piece for Aquaveil/Refresh/Stunning
Legs = good combo mab/macc piece or best damage unless you jump into the insane areas of Hagondes Pants+1 (MAB25+)
Feet = most damage for off-weather nukes
[+]
By Ulthakptah 2015-09-03 14:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Path D on the body would give the same MAB as perfect witching but with 5 more magic acc. How hard is it to get a perfect witching?
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-03 15:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Not unlikely like getting perfect Augs with Skirmish stuff but still fully luck based. Friend of mine had 3 perfect robes in a row this week. I never had one.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-08 21:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

For us SCHs these two pieces of info are pretty important:

Indi-Focus (Increased magic accuracy)
Highest value (Total skill of 900): 50
Geomancy +: 5

Indi-Languor (Amount of reduced magic evasion)
Highest Value (Skill total of 900): 50

For a normal Dunna GEO this works out to 75 Magic Accuracy gained per GEO spell used or 50 Magic Accuracy if Focus is entrusted. Having an Idris GEO will increase this to 100 Magic Accuracy per buff but entrust will stay the same.

For some perspective:

- Our current Gifts are offering a total of 27 Magic Accuracy and 23 Elemental skill.
- Psycloth Manillas B) offer +27 Magic Accuracy and +20 Elemental Skill.
- Tupsimati AM1 is thought to have 30~39 Magic Accuracy.

So I am throwing some thoughts out here:

Aiming to Manaburn 135 T3 NM in Sky this now leads to some interesting fringe scenarios when only using 1 GEO. If your nukers are well geared, have Jobpoints, lots of vorseal and use some options of losing small amounts MAB for MACC (like Amalric Body over Witching) you can get away with Focus and Malaise. However if you are fighting alongside not so well prepared nukers boosting Magic Accuracy 2x seems a must for them to land their spells.

So if you are forced into 2x MACC buffs with your decked out SCH I'd propose an MB set along the lines of:

ItemSet 337762
Augments:
Akademos: Path A or C
Hagondes +1: very high MAB 26+
Amalric Hands: Path D

But if you are lowmanning/only have decked mages I'd aim at focus + malaise and go towards this:

ItemSet 337763
Augments:
Akademos: Path A or C
Helios Head: MAB/MACC+20 INT+10
Amalric Hands: Path D
Amalric Body & Legs: Path A

So I now basically ended up with 2 MagicBurst sets. One for weekend LS event gangbang where things are not optimized and one for lowmanning during the week.

Second set is very useful when killing Vir'ava with the 5 player + Trust tank tactic as the space in the party is precious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo7hn927xzc

Everything I said is basically my train of thought at the moment. There is lots of grey area and room for options in there. Feel free to give your input.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2015-09-09 16:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
For us SCHs these two pieces of info are pretty important:

Indi-Focus (Increased magic accuracy)
Highest value (Total skill of 900): 50

Indi-Languor (Amount of reduced magic evasion)
Highest Value (Skill total of 900): 50

For a normal Dunna GEO this works out to 75 Magic Accuracy gained per GEO spell used or 50 Magic Accuracy if Focus is entrusted. Having an Idris GEO will increase this to 100 Magic Accuracy per buff but entrust will stay the same.

For some perspective:

- Our current Gifts are offering a total of 27 Magic Accuracy and 23 Elemental skill.
- Psycloth Manillas B) offer +27 Magic Accuracy and +20 Elemental Skill.
- Tupsimati AM1 is thought to have 30~39 Magic Accuracy.

Everything I said is basically my train of thought at the moment. There is lots of grey area and room for options in there. Feel free to give your input.
My input huh: That'd just be mentioning the other m.acc buffs we need to remember.

RDM
Frazzle (Change in reduced magical evasion effect)
Highest value (skill of 135): 25
dMND(100):+10

Frazzle II (Change in reduced magical evasion effect)
Highest value (skill of 365): 40

Frazzle III (Change in reduced magical evasion effect)
Highest value (skill of 625): 80

BRD
Quote:
I tested by casting on a gnat and having it transfer it to me with pandemic nip with a barspell on. The elemental resist counter in the game doesnt display past -99.

Base is 160. Thenody +4 increases it by 20 so I'd assume each +1 is 5 same as tier I.

With G.horn 180

Is affected by Marcato and Soul Voice.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-09 17:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So ya... Frazzle II can replace one GEO MACC buff... IF it the enemy isn't immune to it or loves debuff removal spam.
By Chimerawizard 2015-09-09 17:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Or someone /RDM and can use entrust m.acc bubble instead of a full potency one. (when it's available)
again IF the enemy isn't immune to it or loves debuff removal spam.
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2015-09-10 11:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Not attacking you but I have to ask, why do you only MB once per SC? Is August not capable of tanking in that situation? MP is definitely not an issue with Myrkr and in that situation, a BRD. I usually do MB T5 with T3, then T4 with T3 while T5 cools down unless I have a BRD/GEO/Embrava.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-09-10 12:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Not attacking you but I have to ask, why do you only MB once per SC? Is August not capable of tanking in that situation? MP is definitely not an issue with Myrkr and in that situation, a BRD. I usually do MB T5 with T3, then T4 with T3 while T5 cools down unless I have a BRD/GEO/Embrava.

How do you have time to get off a T5 and a T3 or T4 and T3 in the MB window?
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-09-10 12:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

Precast.
Edit: Tho personally I'm not even sure if SCH can >< thinking BLM.... maybe w/ strats? iono
Quote:
Extremely good to know cuz ya won't find that here https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Frazzle_III
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-09-10 13:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If paying proper attention to timing you should be able to land 3 MBs max. V III I, regardless of being blm or sch or geo. Capped fast cast is capped fast cast. Two MBs should be doable by anyone in even average fast cast gear with practice.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-10 13:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »

Precast.
Edit: Tho personally I'm not even sure if SCH can >< thinking BLM.... maybe w/ strats? iono
Quote:
Extremely good to know cuz ya won't find that here https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Frazzle_III

It's worth mentioning that magic bursting a Sabotuor'ed Frazzle III will actually give you around 180m.acc down(the numbers are different for NMs, but I'm not totally sure how different.) that last for about 4:30 seconds. Since Sabotuor is on a five minute recast, you can damn near full time it.
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2015-09-10 13:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loire said: »

If paying proper attention to timing you should be able to land 3 MBs max. V III I, regardless of being blm or sch or geo. Capped fast cast is capped fast cast. Two MBs should be doable by anyone in even average fast cast gear with practice.

Does that apply to the SCH who's doing the SC? I might need practice, but the only time I've been able to land 3 MBs in one SC is when someone else does the SC so I can start casting T5 to save time, then ending with T3 and T2.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-09-10 14:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't imagine ever landing 3 MBs if you are the person doing the SC like Tyche is. Landing 2 MBs is extremely easy for anyone when you are not making the SC but I can't even reliably MB V and III when I'm the one making it.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2015-09-10 14:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Does that apply to the SCH who's doing the SC? I might need practice, but the only time I've been able to land 3 MBs in one SC is when someone else does the SC so I can start casting T5 to save time, then ending with T3 and T2.
Aye two if you are the one doing the sc. Using any strats gives you that ja delay anyway plus you would need to somehow time your own nuke at the same time your second eminence nuke would have to go off.
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2015-09-10 14:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Also a major point to keep in mind would be the cumulative build uo to magic dmg reduction you get with each subsequent nuke used in that small time frame window. Albeit fun to do, could lower the overall dmg your group is capable of doing in back to back sc modes.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-10 15:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Landing 2 MBs is extremely easy for anyone when you are not making the SC but I can't even reliably MB V and III when I'm the one making it.

This pretty much. When you are making your own SCH SC getting 2 MBs in is difficult, the window is narrow. From my experience spamming your spells asap to do so often leads to some pretty ugly packet-f@cking with spells visually not going off but still being on cooldown. Thats tbh not something I want to have in a video really, trying to make it look simple and clean. Other than that Augustus holds hate like a champ.

I could however have used Ebullience for the T5 nukes with Tabula UP or even have done the SC with T3-5 spells themself.
 Shiva.Applesmash
user: Hyriu
By Shiva.Applesmash 2015-09-10 16:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you laggy or something? Because I can usually SC and double burst on both my GEO and SCH, T5>4 for the GEO and T5>3 for the SCH.

Rate of success depends on what my third char is on though :p
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-09-15 02:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Do Helix2 share the debuff slot with Helix1?
Are there some rules for overwriting or "last one cast on a target overwrites the previous one" without any other specific potency rules?

I assume there's a single slot even for Helix2 but I wonder if anybody bothered to test it.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-15 03:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Can only have either Helix2 or Helix1 on a mob. Not both. Helix2 overwrites and can not be overwritten by Helix1.

Last Helix cast overwrites the previous even if it was weaker.

Helix2s also can not be used with Immanence unlike Helix1s.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-09-15 04:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Helix2 overwrites and can not be overwritten by Helix1.
Was this carefully tested? (it's not that I don't believe you, just trying to make sure)

Quote:
Last Helix cast overwrites the previous even if it was weaker.
Yeah, same behaviour as Helix 1 then.

Quote:
Helix2s also can not be used with Immanence unlike Helix1s.
Quite lame, altough I doubt this is such a big deal.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-15 04:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Was this carefully tested? (it's not that I don't believe you, just trying to make sure)
High damage Helix1 > Low damage Helix2. Enemy was receiving low damage DoT from Helix2.

High damage Helix2 > Low damage Helix1. Enemy was receiving high damage DoT from Helix2.

"High Damage" being 13-14% HP loss and "Low Damage" being 3% HP loss. Can't really mistake that.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-09-15 04:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Allright, thanks for confirming that.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-15 06:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Results are in:

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/108196-Random-Facts-Thread-Magic?p=6517163&viewfull=1#post6517163

Amalric Hands +Magic Burst damage IS cap breaking, same as Mujin band.

When not using Ebullience this seems to be the best set for now:

Akademos +10
Helios Band +10
Mizukage +10
Static Earring +5
Locus Ring +5

Mujin Band +5 (capbreaking)
Amalric Hands +5 (capbreaking)

= 50
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-09-15 08:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have all of the gear to fully test it, but using the SCH magic DMG Calc, I still have the combo of Seshaw/Barkarole/Friomisi winning over Twilight(or Bookworm)/Friomisi/Static.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-09-15 09:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Now work out what happens when you use Ebullience. Helios hat or Empy hat? Losing Helios hat and 5MB dmg, worth it for Empy hat +1 ?
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 99 100 101