Unlucky? Or Something I'm Missing?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Smithing » Unlucky? Or something i'm missing?
Unlucky? Or something i'm missing?
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-01 23:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I'd just like to confirm that i'm doing everything right. I recently dusted off my Blacksmith's smock to see if I could make some Cursed Hauberks -1. I have 102+11 Smithing (torque, smock, mitts, stall, adv. support), 70 cloth, and 70 gold. I decided to use coconut rusk for the hell of it, and began crafting. After going 0/32 I thought i'd post on here to see if i'm doing something wrong, or does SE just hate me. Not too sure i'm believing this 8-10% rate in T1.

Thanks!
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 00:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Also like to mention when I was skilling to 102, out of 3 stacks of ingots I HQ'd 2 Adaman Gauntlets (Gem Gauntlets) Not using food, or any smithing +... Didn't know you could HQ something above your level.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-07-02 00:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy Canada Day!!
That is all.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 00:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said: »
Happy Canada Day!!
That is all.

Happy Canada Day! You'd think SE would be nice, and give us a break, but nahhh
 Quetzalcoatl.Lycan
user: dubbag
By Quetzalcoatl.Lycan 2012-07-02 00:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope happens to everyone just keep up on it you will get one. Cant be unlucky all the time. good luck :)
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-07-02 00:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
well on a serious note you should be hitting T1 with all the requirements, so technically it should be a 10% rate I think

At the risk of being laughed at, what day/moon phase was it? My favorite crafter (HQs like all my smithing needs) swears by new moon only for synths.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 00:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said: »
lol
well on a serious note you should be hitting T1 with all the requirements, so technically it should be a 10% rate I think

At the risk of being laughed at, what day/moon phase was it? My favorite crafter (HQs like all my smithing needs) swears by new moon only for synths.

I was crafting on Darksday, Fullmoon (approx 90% when I was crafting), andd pointing SE
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-07-02 00:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he goes by full moon for success, and new moon for HQ/skill ups
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 00:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

At this point i'll try anything, just want my money back lol :P i'll try on new moon for kicks, see what happens.
 Quetzalcoatl.Lycan
user: dubbag
By Quetzalcoatl.Lycan 2012-07-02 00:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

im not 100% sure but any carfting on darksday without dark crystals is gonna be bad. maybe just try on another day see if there is different results?
 Ragnarok.Loughry
Server: Ragnarok
user: Loughry
By Ragnarok.Loughry 2012-07-02 09:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Newty said: »
Also like to mention when I was skilling to 102, out of 3 stacks of ingots I HQ'd 2 Adaman Gauntlets (Gem Gauntlets) Not using food, or any smithing +... Didn't know you could HQ something above your level.

Did you have Moglification active still? That would have put you above the cap for Adaman Gauntlets.

Also, Cursed Hauberk is a level 96 synth, so you don't need advanced support since you only need to hit 107. You're 102 and having the stall alone for Moglification would put you at T1 and your subcrafts are fine. You've just caught an unlucky streak, happens to all of us once in a while. Good luck on more attempts.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-07-02 10:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Loughry said: »

Did you have Moglification active still? That would have put you above the cap for Adaman Gauntlets.

What does that mean?

Also I swear coconut rusk decreases HQ rate but increases HQ3 when you do HQ. I went 1/59 cursed hauby using rusk.
 Ragnarok.Loughry
user: Loughry
By Ragnarok.Loughry 2012-07-02 10:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

What does that mean?

Also I swear coconut rusk decreases HQ rate but increases HQ3 when you do HQ. I went 1/59 cursed hauby using rusk.
I meant did he still have the +5 skill from having MegaMoglification: Smithing key item(via the stall) in his Mog house still. He had said he had no smithing gear on and no support, but could have still had the +5 skill from the stall to put him over the cap on Adaman Gauntlets which is why he yielded HQs.

Because yeah, I don't think it's possible to HQ anything that's above your level(after including all +skill stuffs).
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-07-02 10:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you "dust off" your 102 skill when the cap wasn't even raised THAT long ago? :P No but seriously, it's just a run of bad luck mate. Keep at it.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-07-02 10:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Think my personal record was 1/57 on a T1

Painful.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 12:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

What does that mean?

I meant did he still have the +5 skill from having MegaMoglification: Smithing key item(via the stall) in his Mog house still. He had said he had no smithing gear on and no support, but could have still had the +5 skill from the stall to put him over the cap on Adaman Gauntlets which is why he yielded HQs.

Because yeah, I don't think it's possible to HQ anything that's above your level(after including all +skill stuffs).

Hey, thanks for all responses I went to bed. I was crafting in the shop where you buy leather gloves. Had absolutely zero Smithing +. Wish I had taken a screenshot, hadn't crossed my mind at the time.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 12:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

When I build up enough materials, i'll try again without adv. support, and without rusk.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-02 12:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was crafting on Darksday, Fullmoon (approx 90% when I was crafting), andd pointing SE
Think I found your problem.
[+]
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2012-07-02 15:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I've landed HQ when below level. I've only done it a handful of times, but it does happen. I had it happen several times when I was working on the darksteel stuff in the 80's range, and I didn't have enough items to put me over cap.

It's like a 0.5% rate or something crazy low that you HQ when under cap, but it is technically possible, as you had happen.

I'm having the same problem, I'm 0/8 on hauberk -1, but I've all but given up on the Southern Pearl, they're just too hard to come by. I camp when I can but I'm not paying 300k for it on top of all the other mats I need for an attempt!
 Valefor.Philemon
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-07-02 15:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been essentially proven that you can't HQ under cap of something unless your gear/support puts you at or above cap. Also T1 HQ rate is probably on the order of 1/16 or something like that, not 1/10. OP is just experiencing bad luck.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 16:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Philemon said: »
It's been essentially proven that you can't HQ under cap of something unless your gear/support puts you at or above cap. Also T1 HQ rate is probably on the order of 1/16 or something like that, not 1/10. OP is just experiencing bad luck.

You can definitely HQ under cap, I did it yesterday. Mithano said he's done it, and a friend in LS recently started clothcraft and HQ'd his first ever synth.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-02 17:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just did another 4, no luck.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2012-07-02 18:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to SE's law of randomness. Keep trying, you'll HQ it eventually. I know a lot of people call BS on moonphase and whatnot, but IMO it couldn't hurt. If I craft for myself I'll usually do it all randomly, but if a friend wants a batch of whatever made up, I'll do it during the appropriate moonphase. Just to add in, I have HQed in both conditions, so I really have no bias.
 Quetzalcoatl.Newty
By Quetzalcoatl.Newty 2012-07-07 01:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright so, tonight I did 32 more synths. I waited till new moon pointed South East and based off hours of reading contradicting forums I synthed on Darksday. I managed to HQ 2/32 which isn't awful however when you include my previous failed attempts it's still no where near that ~10% range everyone speaks of. Thus netting me a profit of 200k for an unbelievable amount of work.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2012-07-07 07:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I was 5/120ish on Haubergeon +1 synths back in the day, it's just the way it goes.
 Valefor.Philemon
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-07-07 07:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Philemon said: »

You can definitely HQ under cap, I did it yesterday. Mithano said he's done it, and a friend in LS recently started clothcraft and HQ'd his first ever synth.
Does that skill include gear and support? Note that I said at or above the cap.

Also, as I posted, t1 is not 10%. Do not plan to HQ 10% unless you enjoy losing money.
 Valefor.Philemon
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-07-07 08:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/83485-Random-Crafting-Question-Thread-I-HQ-secret-cracked!?p=5090559&highlight=darksteel#post5090559

This data agrees completely with my crafting experience.