New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Thinking of getting Windows 7
Thinking of getting Windows 7
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 09:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said: »
Seriously dude, one day you will learn you aren't always right, and sometimes you can step back and go "sorry, my bad"

Learned that a long time ago, it doesn't happen that often however.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-05-31 09:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
For what it's worth, we are in a world where RAM is cheap enough for even the casual user to have 4-8GB of RAM and an i3 processor at the very least. That's why 7 and 8 eat up so many resources. Because most people have them, and if you don't then you're not the sort of person who should be using microsoft anyways and should just install ubuntu.

while I'm an advocate for open source, why would they be a "sort of person" if they only have 2gb of ram?

Because it means they only browse the internet and use word, usually.

Also, if you're doing any sort of print and graphics work, yes, you get a mac. Where else do you get a computer with a 27 inch huge, ridiculously high quality screen without heating issues for under 2k$?
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-05-31 09:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, we are in a world where RAM is cheap enough for even the casual user to have 4-8GB of RAM and an i3 processor at the very least. That's why 7 and 8 eat up so many resources. Because most people have them, and if you don't then you're not the sort of person who should be using microsoft anyways and should just install ubuntu.

My comps 10 years old this year. Max of 2gb ram. Still works like a charm.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 09:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

while I'm an advocate for open source, why would they be a "sort of person" if they only have 2gb of ram?

Because it means they only browse the internet and use word, usually.

Also, if you're doing any sort of print and graphics work, yes, you get a mac. Where else do you get a computer with a 27 inch huge, ridiculously high quality screen without heating issues for under 2k$?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=10|83-220-151^83-220-151-TS%2C83-104-125^83-104-125-03%23%2C83-104-125R^83-104-125-03%23

much cheaper and better hardware, however the resolution isn't quite as high, you could add a second monitor with that resolution with the price difference...

I still don't see the type of person thing. I mean most people could get by with linux, but it does kill some options.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 09:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

not to mention one could piece together a tower and a monitor for cheaper, or just build one for scratch.

(wasn't looking when I did a search, didn't realize that was an all in one at first, but since it's comparable, meh.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-05-31 09:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever see the 27" screen? I've been shopping out monitors in manhattan for over a year and have yet to find something comparable to the apple screen.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 10:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll hand it to it, it's a nice screen, but why would you buy something retail?

you don't buy computer components retail unless it's clearance and you're getting a great deal.

Can build a machine though for Under 2k including the tower and a high resolution monitor. (Even though that monitor is more than 30% of that cost).

I just don't see the point when one can make a hackintosh for less, and then they have more options.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2012-05-31 10:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

More practically, use what the people you're working with are using. If that's not relevant, you can more choice and more power for the money from other brands.

The iMac's display is certainly decent, but it's not that high quality, relatively speaking. You can buy the same panel in Apple's Thunderbolt Display for $999 and potentially hook it up to something other than the laptop hardware that's in an iMac. Or you can get a slightly better version of the same panel (LG LM270WQ2 instead of LM270WQ1, though with CCFL backlighting rather than LED) in a Dell Ultrasharp U2711 for $899. Dell's version has a bit more color processing (well, dithering).
Or go with a cheaper 27" IPS screen (HP has on in the $700 range), or get a couple 24" IPS screens (which is what I have) and so on.

Long and short is that you can quite easily take $2k, buy a comparable (or better) monitor setup, and still have $1k+ to build a workstation, which is more than enough to build something that smacks the ever-living ***out of an iMac (if not a single CPU Mac Pro).
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-05-31 10:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hackintoshes or VMing it doesn't run as well, by a long shot.

The iMac is a very well built machine that's extraordinary solid for people that aren't going to poweruse. It's great for casuals.

A little pricy, but they treat you amazing, Apple's customer experience in unparallelled, and if you're in a non-technical area where you benefit from a super streamlined user experience, then the Apple is a good choice.

There's a lot more to it than just the hardware.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 10:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hackintoshes or VMing it doesn't run as well, by a long shot.

The iMac is a very well built machine that's extraordinary solid for people that aren't going to poweruse. It's great for casuals.

A little pricy, but they treat you amazing, Apple's customer experience in unparallelled, and if you're in a non-technical area where you benefit from a super streamlined user experience, then the Apple is a good choice.

There's a lot more to it than just the hardware.

again, there's cheaper better alternatives.

I have a VM of osx that works just fine, better than my xp VM tbh.

With the changing of the bios in regular PC's, and the support by Windows now, there's going to be better bootloaders available, which will make hackintoshes easier.

As for the software portion: you can get the same experience with linux, which is free.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 10:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah they're great machines/OS for people who don't know what they're doing, that's their market.

Microsoft has been trying to corner that base for ages, but fortunately that keeps IT in business.

I'd love a stripped version of Windows for my hardware, and well made drivers, but the ability to have options far outweighs that disappointment.

Ever since they stopped using the PowerPC risc cpu they lost their advantage in graphics processing, and that's been some time ago now. Their hardware can be easily replicated for cheaper, and some versions of Linux can be arguably a better OS.

They prey on people's ignorance of that technology changes, and I'm a little bias due to I take issue with this fact, but specs don't lie.

I feel for those who can't get certain software on another platform, and I wish they'd make games for more platforms, but the demand just isn't there, and the cost to develop a game for Windows is enough (since the PC gaming market is meh at best) to develop for Mac and Linux (especially since the multiple distros) would be hardcore.

Maybe with Java, since it's cross platform, but tbh Sect you'd know more about that than I would.
By Latifah 2012-05-31 18:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
it's sad that people still perpetuate the myth that macs are still best for graphics, it's sad. while granted they do have some software that's mac exclusive, other than that they aren't.

Also depending on what you're doing as an admin, if you want to administer a bunch of Windows computers, you'd want server, if you want to manage particular services, linux would do.

anyone even run low end machines with Unix on them?

As much as you critique what others say about your words, you should be able to read what I'm saying.

"Macs are certainly a viable option" != "Macs are best for graphics"

Most people uses windows for graphics design and audio production, specially for gaming design and sculpting not macs. im talking around the world. Not USA only that have lots of biased mac fans.
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
it's sad that people still perpetuate the myth that macs are still best for graphics, it's sad. while granted they do have some software that's mac exclusive, other than that they aren't.

Also depending on what you're doing as an admin, if you want to administer a bunch of Windows computers, you'd want server, if you want to manage particular services, linux would do.

anyone even run low end machines with Unix on them?

As much as you critique what others say about your words, you should be able to read what I'm saying.

"Macs are certainly a viable option" != "Macs are best for graphics"

So instead of re-iterating how "sad" it is that people perpetuate the myth, attempt to read what I said.

Most people uses windows for graphics design and audio production, specially for gaming design and sculpting not macs. im talking around the world. Not USA only that have lots of biased mac fans.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 18:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

wow, bad quote sir.

I'll give credit where credit is due but for graphic design and cheap options the Mac is definitely not a great choice for either. (unless of course like I said you need one for a particular piece of software that you HAVE to use).
By Latifah 2012-05-31 18:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

ya i failed with the quote lol
By Latifah 2012-05-31 18:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

apple made a terrible mistake with the latest version of final cut pro. its now like windows movie maker+imovie in 1 program... everyone is switching to adobe premier pro with a quickness
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 18:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure Apple decided to test the iCoffin for themselves, and as a courtesy Jobs decided to be the first to go.

It's only proper.
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-05-31 18:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Heavendragon said: »
Than you just need the Home Edition. All other Editions you just need for big Networks.
i think you mean home premium, home basic is pretty garbage and misses out on a lot of basic features.

and no, pro allows for you to emulate xp if you have a license, as well as other security functions.

if you have a student email address check out Microsoft student deals. You can get a pro upgrade for 65$
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 19:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I love my MSDN student alliance account access, have pretty much any windows OS I'd need (current).

Also: the best part of having any windows 7 disc (as there's no difference between the OEM disc, and full version this time) you can edit a file, or remove it to make any 7 disc into a multi install to install home, pro, ultimate all from one disc, however it's a pain to make one to do both 32bit and 64bit, just easier to have one of each.

just need to codes then.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2012-05-31 19:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
and no, pro allows for you to emulate xp if you have a license, as well as other security functions.

XP Mode that you get from Pro includes the XP image to use with Virtual PC. That said, MS Virtual PC is quite barebones if you compare to other VM solutions, so it depends on what you want to do with it. Doesn't have 3D support, for example.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 19:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »
Cerberus.Eugene said: »

XP Mode that you get from Pro includes the XP image to use with Virtual PC. That said, MS Virtual PC is quite barebones if you compare to other VM solutions, so it depends on what you want to do with it. Doesn't have 3D support, for example.

neither does virtualbox, at least I couldn't get XI to work in it properly.

although iirc the xp mode worked a little better than virtual pc 2007.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-05-31 20:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Enough comments given about all the various Windows 7 versions here but a word of warning about OEM discs -- if you are someone who changes hardware a lot be warned. OEM discs are only licensed for original installations and not for unlimited hardware upgrades. If you reformat your system, and especially if you change hard drives, you will likely run into the issue where your "Windows CD-key is already in use" during activation. While you can call Microsoft's help line and just say "hey I got a new hard drive, my old one died, they don't have to allow you to reactivate it. OEM is only for OEM and it is not a full license, which is why it is so much cheaper. Companies get around the laws of selling OEM by including something stupid like a "used PS2 mouse" with it since they cannot sell just the OEM software.

To the people telling them to install UNIX variants... While as a pentester, I love all forms of Linux with a special place for OpenBSD, Debian, Ubuntu ... you don't want to put someone asking basic questions about Windows in a totally new OS. As easy as Ubuntu has made it lately, it is still a totally different world. Everything from games to word pads or updating your software is much different. The first time I setup my VM in Unix it took me literally hours to get my wireless card installed, vpn setup, and dhcp configed properly :-( I can do it quickly now but what a kick in the nuts it was the first time I tried it.

If you go the time and the will to learn it, I whole heatedly recommend checking out Linux distros but don't jump into it for your only working PC.
By Jetackuu 2012-05-31 20:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why you buy it from newegg, and you can always crack the registration, or use an activator, it's not necessarily legal, but just about impossible to track, and as long as you bought the software, tbh they'd probably drop the suit if you even got caught.

As for Unix, while I don't know how to fiddle with the network adapter, when I first set up my slackware VM I didn't really have any issues, if one wants to play with it, it can be downloaded along with virtualbox all for free, and one can try it.