[dev1141] Monstrosity (Play-as-a-Monster)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » [dev1141] Monstrosity (Play-as-a-Monster)
[dev1141] Monstrosity (Play-as-a-Monster)
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2013-05-31 11:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you guys even read it before commenting?
 Phoenix.Upbeatglitch
Server: Phoenix
user: Upbeat
By Phoenix.Upbeatglitch 2013-05-31 11:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll be streaming some monstrosity for a little bit. Doesn't really seem like there's much to do at the moment though.

http://www.twitch.tv/upbeatglitch
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-31 11:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I gathered you're limited in an instanced area only for test server, while when it goes live you'll be able to toddle through the world as you please.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-05-31 17:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

05-31-2013 04:30 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Hello everyone!

The Monstrosity content is now live on the Test Server, so definitely be sure to check it out! I think you all will have a lot of fun turning into a monster and exploring Vana’diel from another perspective.

While currently the amount of monsters you can become is limited, we will be adding more and more as they are ready and also expanding the number of areas.

Also, in case you were worried about whether each “knowledge” you obtain would take up precious inventory space, you can think of it more like blue magic and automaton attachments, which will be stored in a specialized place. So don’t you worry about inventory being taken up!

If you hop onto the Test Server sometime today, I MIGHT just be there chillin’ as a bee or something, so come by and check it out!
Subscribe
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-05-31 17:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Why.

Fix jobs, what is this horse ***.
[+]
 Bismarck.Draginhikari
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Draginhikari 2013-05-31 18:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

They been talking about this for quite awhile now, don't know what made you assume they would not proceed with it.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-05-31 18:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The realization that it was a horrible idea, akin to evoliths.

Hopefully they proceed with that idea right down to the watery depths of hell where it belongs.

(And take this one with it.)
 Phoenix.Gameesh
user: Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-05-31 18:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna enjoy monstrosity to it's fullest even if it's just a gimmicky way of playing. The idea is fresh and so I'm only hoping for good execution.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-31 18:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

For many of us it looks like a very fun thing to do instead. Gtfo.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-05-31 18:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I shouldn't be surprised this gimmick comes out before Cait Sith and Atomos.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-05-31 18:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking forward to it, it won't be super exciting but it will be new and fresh. You'll basically get 20+ more jobs to level up depending on what monsters you want to level up. It's something you can do when you're bored.

I have a few concerns. If you're alone fighting by yourself then it will probably get boring. No better than fighting solo leveling up. I think the fun will come when you can fight other players as your monster. It's a different kind of PvP, but it is very likely that SE will limit the content for the sake of balance.

It's a cool idea, but it all depends on SE's execution. They also will have to give up a little control on their idea of how they intended it to be so they can make adjustments that make it more fun for players. It shouldn't be unbalanced, but it needs to be something that is fun to do or no one will want to do it.

It's not a simple system, and a small mistake in their design can ruin the whole experience for the player.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
user: Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-05-31 18:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
I'm looking forward to it, it won't be super exciting but it will be new and fresh. You'll basically get 20+ more jobs to level up depending on what monsters you want to level up. It's something you can do when you're bored.

I have a few concerns. If you're alone fighting by yourself then it will probably get boring. No better than fighting solo leveling up. I think the fun will come when you can fight other players as your monster. It's a different kind of PvP, but it very likely that SE will limit the content for the sake of balance.

It's a cool idea, but it all depends on SE's execution. They also will have to give up a little control on their idea of how they intended it to be so they can make adjustments that make it more fun for players. It shouldn't be unbalanced, but it needs to be something that is fun to do or no one will want to do it.

It's not a simple system, and a small mistake in their design can ruin the whole experience for the player.

[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-05-31 19:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Im only partially-madbro that its not a real Morpher job system instead of a casualevent :(

I so want Morpher as a job but i an settle with this,for now.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2013-05-31 19:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
The realization that it was a horrible idea, akin to evoliths.

Hopefully they proceed with that idea right down to the watery depths of hell where it belongs.

(And take this one with it.)

I have zero interest in it, but I'm not going to piss in people's Cheerios if they want it. Let people have their fun with this and you and I can have ours elsewhere.
[+]
 Phoenix.Upbeatglitch
By Phoenix.Upbeatglitch 2013-05-31 21:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

A new TP system!!
YouTube Video Placeholder

Monster skills cost a set amount of TP(For example Foot kick is 100, Dust Cloud is 80) and you can use them back to back!
[+]
By Zarabi 2013-06-01 00:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This system is the most fun I've had in the game since years ago. :D

The test server is missing a lot of features and no pvp yet and such but even beating up monsters as another monster is so much fun.

Btw, it's not restricted to one area, you simply teleport to an area to start the monstrosity, then teleport from there to another area, like West Ronfaure, and then roam around freely. I assume this will change once it is released for real and allow immediate freeroam, even if not, not such a big deal since you can teleport all around in seconds.

Anyway, monsters seem to come with job traits..as expected, I guess. Bee has Gilfinder, for example, hehe.

Then job abilities, Bee had Sharp Sting and at lvl 10 Pollen, Rabbit is Foot Kick, then Dust Cloud. Mandy is Wild Oats, then Scream. Lizard starts with Fireball, haven't made it to lvl 10 Lizard yet.

Imagine depending on how many monsters they release, you'd have like 20 more jobs to level, lol. The exp curve is the same btw. Also, exp rings work if you use them before you turn into a monster.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-01 00:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info, the dev post was kinda vague about it. You get to keep items that drop while you're a monster, I'm guessing.

They're going to need to come up with something that makes it relevant though, as much fun as it can be to play as a monster it's only going to be a novelty if all there is to do is leveling. It sounds like this is what Pankration should have been, though.
 Phoenix.Upbeatglitch
By Phoenix.Upbeatglitch 2013-06-01 00:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Decided to lvl all 4 starter mobs up to 15 to see the traits & skills. I had to stop at level 15 because all the mobs in the starter zones were starting to con too weak.

(All of the mobs have MP. None of them have spells.)
Rabbit:

Bee:

Lizard:

Mandy:

Sentience/"Knowledge":
 Phoenix.Upbeatglitch
By Phoenix.Upbeatglitch 2013-06-01 00:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Thanks for the info, the dev post was kinda vague about it. You get to keep items that drop while you're a monster, I'm guessing.
No items drop as a monster, could just be a test server thing.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-06-01 00:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a few concerns. If you're alone fighting by yourself then it will probably get boring. No better than fighting solo leveling up. I think the fun will come when you can fight other players as your monster. It's a different kind of PvP, but it is very likely that SE will limit the content for the sake of balance.

They could spend their time developing and refining the other 20+ jobs.

The "rest" of the game isn't a simple system, and another another complex system doesn't seem like a good idea.

I can't wait for patches/content updates devoted to balancing bees, mandragoras, crabs, and pugils we all know and love since 2005! !

Instead of addressing things that deal with the characters our items, time, whatever, is tied to.

Or you know, inventory space.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-01 01:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Think they'll ever have Player(Monster) versus Player(Adventurer) as a feature in this?

It'd be cool to see what a real Human intelligence could do as say... A Wyrm, versus an alliance just tryin' to get their A.Abj.Hnd.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-01 01:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Think they'll ever have Player(Monster) versus Player(Adventurer) as a feature in this?

It'd be cool to see what a real Human intelligence could do as say... A Wyrm, versus an alliance just tryin' to get their A.Abj.Hnd.

They said they will eventually have that, and there will be rewards for beating others, and that the rewards will be greater if you're a monster.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-06-01 01:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty sure they had that planned in the original outline
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-01 01:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »

They said they will eventually have that, and there will be rewards for beating others, and that the rewards will be greater if you're a monster.
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
pretty sure they had that planned in the original outline

Ah, sorry, I asked and then started double checking the Devthreads to see if it was already mentioned, but all I saw were JP symbols and PVP which didn't specify if it was going to be Players as Monsters versus eachother or a hybrid.

I don't even play FFXI anymore, but I really can't wait to see what happens with this just from kind of an academic point.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-01 01:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The "rest" of the game isn't a simple system, and another another complex system doesn't seem like a good idea.

I can't wait for patches/content updates devoted to balancing bees, mandragoras, crabs, and pugils we all know and love since 2005! !

Instead of addressing things that deal with the characters our items, time, whatever, is tied to.

Like SE knows how to fix their game... no update will change that.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-01 01:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This feature was one of the things that almost made me hold onto my account, but seeing as it has taken a full year since I quit to implement it, I think I made the right choice lol. Its amazing how SE can just drag things out for years but retain its playerbase as a P2P game. Of course, it will probably be years before FFXIV is worth playing.
 Bismarck.Draginhikari
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Draginhikari 2013-06-01 02:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

MMO can be about more then the next gear hike, because like really we don't have enough of that right now >>. There is nothing wrong with side attractions to provide entertainment value if it worked in right.

You are assuming just because they were not working on this that they are going to balance jobs, increase Inventory space, or other character related factors when there is no way to say they are going to do that or not. You can't retain people through long adjustment period but doing nothing but that, side-content and side-events are perfectly fine to work on.

Much like what Kalilla said, SE doesn't know how to balance the 22 jobs in this game... actually I'd argue further that no one can. This game has too many jobs and too many factors that would allow any major adjustment to accrue without breaking something entirely, which is why they do these cycles of minor changes hoping that it will do something whether or not it actually does.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-03 15:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Like usual the community reps didn't translate everything, Slycer's post is a direct translation from the dev team, but here is the official translation:

06-03-2013 03:04 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings everyone!

I hope you all had a chance this weekend to try out Monstrosity.

I have a couple of things to note about current features as well as features that are to be implemented in the next Test Server update.

Healing HP/MP

Currently, as some of you might have noticed, you are not able to heal. However, in the next Test Server update we will be making it so your HP and MP recover when you are not fighting for a specific period of time.

Monsters at the warp points

In the next Test Server update we will be making it so you cannot be attacked by monsters for a specific period of time after warping from the lobby area.

Return Feature

We're planning to make it possible to cancel the "Return" ability once it has been activated.

Buffs and Experience Points

In the next Test Server update we will be making it so when you enter the lobby area you can reset your status effects so that food or other special effects do not carry-over when you change into a monster.

Also, since this content was meant to be played solo, we aren't planning to make the experience points needed to level up as high as that of an adventurer. There will also be no death penalty, so you can just have a good time and get experience points.

Sentiencies Menu

Since I am sure many of you are curious as to how sentiencies will look in the UI, here are a couple of screenshots to illustrate how it will be:

As long as it's within the cost limit, you can customize your sentiencies as you like!
Subscribe
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-08 14:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

05-31-2013 04:03 AM
[source]
Gildrein
Community Rep

[dev1141] Monstrosity

• New areas will be added to Monstrosity.
    La Theine Plateau / Valkurm Dunes / Jugner Forest / Beaucedine Glacier / Xarcabard

• HP and MP will gradually recover when out of combat. Amounts recovered vary depending on maximum HP and MP values.
    * The amount of HP recovered is subject to change.

Test Server Only

• Locations where PCs appear when moving from the lobby to the field will be fixed.

• The following effects will be granted to PCs when moving from the lobby to the field.

• Invisible
    • Sprint
    • Inability to attack

Subscribe
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20