New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 330 331 332 ... 445 446 447
By Darksparksnot 2017-06-29 13:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Seq/claid savage spam is stupid strong and unbeatable by any combo + cdc, usually 1 savage = 1 cdc AND the light it closes. Granted up to 10% parse result over anyone using cdc.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-29 14:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

remedy > waltz imo, but to each their own. Def down really does little when can solo sc +mb nq/hq but maybe thats just me.
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Asura
By Asura.Carrotchan 2017-07-13 15:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The spreadsheet seems broken for clubs, just getting errors
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2017-07-13 15:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Carrotchan said: »
Working fine for me just make sure your not selecting a (custom) club that not actually filled out.

Edit: Heres a fresh download on the sheet with just some clubs selected that are filled out so it works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilpfl4pxau15i1s/BLU%20DPS%20Calculator%20v3.1.0%20club.xlsx?dl=0
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-13 15:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It's because it's not Thanksgiving, and you have your Thanksgiving Vapereon avatar up.

There's your problem.

Also, Espeon is best -eon.
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2017-07-13 15:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually my Halloween vaporeon, I got banned before Thanksgiving!
sorry, vaporeon is besteon, give it up
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2017-07-13 15:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Darksparksnot said: »
Seq/claid savage spam is stupid strong and unbeatable by any combo + cdc, usually 1 savage = 1 cdc AND the light it closes. Granted up to 10% parse result over anyone using cdc.

On equal level of equipment, savage blade will win in a parse because its a better WS overall.

Sequance/claim-colada vs Tizona/alma example, for tizona to really shine u need am3 and by that time, sequence user has done 3 (2 if slow pressing buttons) SB already and if you are hyper buffed (your attack is capped), and considering the tizona user wont do lights so its savage @2k tp vs CDC @1k (or whenver it comes into WS range, that's what i'd do).

And the statement of 1 SB = 1 CDC + the closing light is just too generous siding to SB, CDC can do ridiculous numbers too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-13 15:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually my Halloween vaporeon, I got banned before Thanksgiving!
Ehh, you are forgiven in that case. Still need to change your avatar though, it's summer time! At least have Vaporeon shoot some water in the air or something.

sorry, vaporeon is besteon, give it up
Lies, slander, libel!
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-13 21:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Phuoc said: »

On equal level of equipment, savage blade will win in a parse because its a better WS overall.

Sequance/claim-colada vs Tizona/alma example, for tizona to really shine u need am3 and by that time, sequence user has done 3 (2 if slow pressing buttons) SB already and if you are hyper buffed (your attack is capped), and considering the tizona user wont do lights so its savage @2k tp vs CDC @1k (or whenver it comes into WS range, that's what i'd do).

And the statement of 1 SB = 1 CDC + the closing light is just too generous siding to SB, CDC can do ridiculous numbers too.

the Tizona user in that circumstance might switch to Expiacion, as it will not only have the 30% damage bonus but also skillchain Distortion off of the Savage Blades generated by the Sequence wielder. additionally, considering capped haste and the forced two second delay following WS usage, it's unlikely to see more than two weaponskills while the Tizona user gets to 3k TP. (and if you're in Escha/Reisenjima you're all probably popping wings anyways) both have good TP scaling considering how much TP overflow BLU ends up with. last math I recall seeing said that Expiacion for a Tizona wielder was as good/better than Savage, but that was a little while ago so things may have changed.
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2017-07-14 09:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »

the Tizona user in that circumstance might switch to Expiacion, as it will not only have the 30% damage bonus but also skillchain Distortion off of the Savage Blades generated by the Sequence wielder. additionally, considering capped haste and the forced two second delay following WS usage, it's unlikely to see more than two weaponskills while the Tizona user gets to 3k TP. (and if you're in Escha/Reisenjima you're all probably popping wings anyways) both have good TP scaling considering how much TP overflow BLU ends up with. last math I recall seeing said that Expiacion for a Tizona wielder was as good/better than Savage, but that was a little while ago so things may have changed.

Well i was taking into account a scenario where both started with 0 TP like sinister reign or ambuscade but yea, if both start at 3k then the tie breaker would be amnesia or BS like fighting albumen melee style and getting paralyzed/amnesia for too long i guess, tizona with am3 and a good sTP set is just ridiculous.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-14 09:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

All that effort typing and justifying - just get yourselves a Tizona and be done with it.
You keep trying to convince yourselves, is it working? do you really think you don't have a need for Tizona?
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-14 14:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i was taking into account a scenario where both started with 0 TP like sinister reign or ambuscade but yea, if both start at 3k then the tie breaker would be amnesia or BS like fighting albumen melee style and getting paralyzed/amnesia for too long i guess, tizona with am3 and a good sTP set is just ridiculous.

Tizona is really an amazing weapon, and I have absolutely zero regrets chasing it down; it completely changes how MP management works and is really handy for when you need to spam defensive spells or cures. I don't have Sequence as other options are more attractive when I am rocking afterglow in each hand, but it's still a very solid weapon.

having said that, people should get what is within their means, and that doesn't always equate to a "Tizona/Almace minimum," because let's face it both are a massive grind/gil sink. with Tizona, I don't even focus on Store TP too much because at capped haste, you're a meat grinder either way, and if my AM3 is going down, I hold TP for the last 15 seconds to ensure I can immediately put it back up, and even that can be overkill with how absurdly fast BLU gets TP. I think the key thing here is that you should be actually working with your team to knock things down the fastest, not "haha! I won the parse by 3.5%!!" which is where Savage Blading all the things becomes less ideal. if you're doing a BLU zerg, people should be working to maximize damage using skillchains which is going to most often be Light, and if you cannot Skillchain due to mechanics, everyone should be using only Savage. XI is at its core a game where you're supposed to rely on teamwork, despite how solo friendly it has become, and in a party that is the goal I work towards.
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2017-07-15 09:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Tizona is really an amazing weapon, and I have absolutely zero regrets chasing it down; it completely changes how MP management works and is really handy for when you need to spam defensive spells or cures. I don't have Sequence as other options are more attractive when I am rocking afterglow in each hand, but it's still a very solid weapon.

having said that, people should get what is within their means, and that doesn't always equate to a "Tizona/Almace minimum," because let's face it both are a massive grind/gil sink. with Tizona, I don't even focus on Store TP too much because at capped haste, you're a meat grinder either way, and if my AM3 is going down, I hold TP for the last 15 seconds to ensure I can immediately put it back up, and even that can be overkill with how absurdly fast BLU gets TP. I think the key thing here is that you should be actually working with your team to knock things down the fastest, not "haha! I won the parse by 3.5%!!" which is where Savage Blading all the things becomes less ideal. if you're doing a BLU zerg, people should be working to maximize damage using skillchains which is going to most often be Light, and if you cannot Skillchain due to mechanics, everyone should be using only Savage. XI is at its core a game where you're supposed to rely on teamwork, despite how solo friendly it has become, and in a party that is the goal I work towards.

I agree in every word here.
[+]
 Asura.Lokimaru
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2017-07-16 03:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
All that effort typing and justifying - just get yourselves a Tizona and be done with it.
You keep trying to convince yourselves, is it working? do you really think you don't have a need for Tizona?
Sure but that's a lot of time and money investment without a decent gil income, in my case.

Almace/Colada will do for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Although for price comparison, tizona and almace are pretty close in price now.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2017-07-20 15:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

Actually coming from someone that's had afterglow Tiz basically since it was possible to, under the majority of circumstances I also find Savage Blade w/ Sequence to be far superior to CDC in most cases.

For starters, it's much easier to get to PDIF cap with a STR focused WS, since things like prosolio and caro give STR and attack at the same time, and in addition to that with +1 Adhemar and the right accessories, you can get 100+ TP per swing using Sequence/Colada before SAM's roll, which is a pretty important landmark in terms of keeping up with the aftermath... So in large groups where you're at PDIF cap spamming WS, from my experience Sequence SB set will win virtually every time.

That's not to completely dismiss Tiz/CDC, in any situation where you can reliably make light, and you are at or near PDIF cap then it should win.

The thing is, either of these will rise or fall depending on your situation, the value of rolls you have, etc. So in general I would advise people to stop treating one sword like it's "better" in general.

Essentially the more melee's you have, the more favorable Sequence is, but the longer the fight is, either via having fewer melees or the fight itself dragging on, Tizona will generally win due to having greater availability of aftermath and the endless MP pool ensuring constant Nature's Meditation.
[+]
By Staleyx 2017-07-25 17:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm nearing the end of glowing Almace and was wondering what would be the hierarchy for sub weapons. I have 2 coladas I can play with and have a glowy tizona already.

Or should I never main almace and always do tiz/almace.Was thinking short fights ex. HTBF I might be better maining almace.

Thanks in advance for input.
By tyalangan 2017-07-25 17:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

More knowledgeable people can correct me but from what I have heard and seen I believe Tiz/Alm would be your best combo all around. You mentioned almace for HTBF but I would say Tiz main for the MP if you are doing VD solo (but I've never done the Leviathan meta you may not need MP for that, I wouldn't know. Fights I do MP helps).

I don't have a Tiz and use Almace/Colada(15DEX). I have heard arguments for Nibiru sub, as well. I can't do it myself but numbers don't lie if it truly is a a superior sub.
By fillerbunny9 2017-07-25 20:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Staleyx said: »
I'm nearing the end of glowing Almace and was wondering what would be the hierarchy for sub weapons. I have 2 coladas I can play with and have a glowy tizona already.

Or should I never main almace and always do tiz/almace.Was thinking short fights ex. HTBF I might be better maining almace.

Thanks in advance for input.

Tiz/Almace is generally superior for HTBF in my experience (I glowed my Almace first and things have sped up since glowing Tizona). Almace main will be superior for a fight like Tenzen when you are getting screwed by his Invincibility segment. going from 0 to 3000 TP takes me roughly 15-20 seconds with capped Haste. are you talking solo or with people? a zerg with actual other players would allow Almace to shine since the fight should be over almost as fast as it started. if you are going in solo, then Tizona/Almace, as I said before.

switching to Almace/Colada for a fight such as Onychophora or Maju in Reisenjima where you cannot risk skillchaining Expiacion with Savage Blade to get your AM3 might be superior, but I am not up on the math to say for certain.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-07-25 21:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop me if you've heard this before.... it's all situational.

Edit: Also wanted to add that spreadsheets assume that you're playing optimally. I know a lot of players w/ Tiz/Almace that don't play optimally, and will never reach anywhere near the theoretical limit of that combination.

Hell, I've seen a lot of double glow sword wielders get (badly) outparsed by Colada/Tanmo BLU's who knew how to min/max better and adjust tactics/play style/spellsets to suit what they were fighting.

Weapons are just weapons... they only matter so much.
[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2017-08-06 18:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What are the main enmity spells blu gets?
Front page suggests Jettura, Fantod, Wind Breath. What are some others?
By fillerbunny9 2017-08-06 19:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

White Wind is good if you actually are healing with it and sleeps like Sheep Song or Soporiffic are (or at least, were) good for hate, but the recast is not spammable. otherwise, try Geist Wall or Blank Gaze.
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2017-08-06 20:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Taken straight out of my RUN.lua
Code
blue_magic_maps.Enmity = S{'Blank Gaze', 'Geist Wall', 'Jettatura', 'Soporific',
		'Poison Breath', 'Blitzstrahl', 'Sheep Song', 'Chaotic Eye', 'Stinking Gas'}
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-08-06 21:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fantod should be primarily used, as that's by far the most efficient spell for CE maintenance. Once you're on the hate list, there isn't much reason to use any of the other 320/320 spells given Fantod's low cast time, recast, MP cost, and blue point cost.

As an aside, Chaotic Eye, Blitzstrahl, and Poison breath shouldn't be used on RUN for enmity. The latter two's values are based on damage (so bad) while Chaotic Eye is an impotent 320/1.
[+]
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2017-08-06 21:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Actinic burst and temporal shift are the same enmity as jettatura (180ce/1020ve) but have a significantly shorter recast time, and are proper AoE instead of conal.

Pretty much all buffs are 320/320 (including fantod), so you could recast those in your enmity gear if you want to squeeze out some more hate. There is no reason to use stuff like sheep song, geist wall, blank gaze, etc. on blu main over just spamming fantod.

White wind is your biggest gain if you can get good ones off.
[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2017-08-08 18:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for info. Will probably focus on White Wind and Fantod, since those are already in my spellset
 Asura.Lokimaru
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2017-08-08 20:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm about 8000 boulders away from Almace afterglow, I use Colada/Iris combo right now, is Almace a better mainhand before afterglow or no?

Judging by base damage alone, I assumed it isn't viable to use right now.
By fillerbunny9 2017-08-08 21:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

119 Almace prior to Afterglow is /lockstyle only. I suspect that even a Colada without augments would be better.
 Odin.Speedyjim
Server: Odin
user: speedyjim
By Odin.Speedyjim 2017-08-08 22:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Fantod should be primarily used, as that's by far the most efficient spell for CE maintenance. Once you're on the hate list, there isn't much reason to use any of the other 320/320 spells given Fantod's low cast time, recast, MP cost, and blue point cost.

As an aside, Chaotic Eye, Blitzstrahl, and Poison breath shouldn't be used on RUN for enmity. The latter two's values are based on damage (so bad) while Chaotic Eye is an impotent 320/1.
Thanks, I've adjusted accordingly. I don't know why Fantod wasn't there already. :x
 Shiva.Spynx
Server: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-08-08 22:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Before you AG it, a Tanmogayi (+1) or any colada will easily win. After the AG, have fun :D

On a side note I see too many BLU using Iris lately. It is not a good choice and even if you don't have access to tanmo,colada or RMEA, go with nibiru blades that are pretty easy to get and solid weapons.
 Bismarck.Cladbolg
Server: Bismarck
user: cladbolg
By Bismarck.Cladbolg 2017-08-09 01:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post.
My Blu lua that i got from here is not bringing in the gear for JA such as diffusion. I'm not sure what's wrong. If anyone can take a look please. Thank you.

Also any advice on TP gear and Chant du Cynge gear? since those are the only 2 sets i really have right now. Working on the rest slowly.
First Page 2 3 ... 330 331 332 ... 445 446 447