The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 130 131 132 ... 445 446 447
 Ragnarok.Figster
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: polorat12
By Ragnarok.Figster 2014-10-30 01:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got back to the game after being gone for quite a while. Doing some reading and it sounds like you guys are saying that the attack mod for blu spells is also based on weapon attack also? So your total attack plus the attack from blue skill changes damage, in essence making physical spells act just like normal weaponskills? Is that right?
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-30 06:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, the difference being that D is determined from blue skill not main hand damage
[+]
 Ragnarok.Figster
user: polorat12
By Ragnarok.Figster 2014-10-30 13:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow. That would explain a lot of the damage from spells nowadays. Thanks.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-10-31 07:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never been particularly well-versed in terms of WS modifiers, so apologies for my ignorance, but is there a point where enough is enough? Like for CDC, does it ever stop being a good idea to stack dex and instead focus on other aspects? I currently have 300 dex exactly in my CDC set, and I'm debating on either Vanir boots or Luhlaza +1 for the feet slot. Would those 5 points of dex really outweigh 25 attack?

Also, if there is any formula out there that I've been too blind to see or something, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.
By FaeQueenCory 2014-10-31 07:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure 25atk > 5dex for most things.
(Cause it helps you cap pDIF, and you already have a LOT of the stat for the stat mod.)

But people will say "if you have capped pDIF already then just go with the most DEX"... And make some argument about low level content and bluh bluh bluh...
Personally, can't justify that mentality... Namely cause I don't have infinite inventory and have other jobs.
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-10-31 08:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you're rolling with Idris GEOs, you're not capping attack on anything in Adoulin except level 100 Mandragoras really. Delve 1 bosses have ~1900 defense, if you run with a standard SCH WHM BRD and 3 DD's and eat meat and get Minuet V, you're at what...1500 attack maybe, with Berserk+Nature's Meditation? With Dia II, you'd still need over 3800 attack to 'cap attack'. These 'capped pDIF' builds really make players underestimate just how much attack they really need. So many DDs in my shell think they can get away with Gigantes Boots+1 because they're under the impression they have capped attack on everything except Delve 2 MB and Incursion NMs.

On Tojil, not counting his attack down aura, you'd cap attack at 1500ish attack only if you could manage roughly -60% defense down on him. Nobody is capping attack in SoA content unless you have Idris GEOs, or are stacking a large combination of Chaos Roll/SV Minuets/Angon/Dia III/Fury/Frailty and even then it's unlikely. If 119 content MB has 1900 defense, rest assured 128-140 content(Delve II and Incursion) has far higher defense values.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-31 10:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Luloo said: »
Nikia will you take over the guide and update sets? please do!
Someone please do! I can't find the thread that talks about skill + attack on blu spells to see how I need to put in BiS gears.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-31 10:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Doc Ugh should go test Attack vs Blue Skill! I'm inclined to believe attack wins since we're not capping blue attack on anything worthwhile, and someone said 8 skill is giving 0 or 2 base DMG, which to me seems like attack would win out, so like Whirlpool Mask vs Luhlaza Kaffeiyih(although can get 8 more str from Ejekemal, but the attack might be better than base dmg, plus 25 acc to boot)
By Firebrandt 2014-10-31 13:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all, I quit in 2007 and recently came back... Thanks to Abyssea I know have a 99 BLU. I spent the time to cap my Blue Skill but now its time to actually gear it and learn more spells.

Are the sets in the OP still up to date? What should the priority be for reforging AF and Relic?

Thanks!
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-31 17:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Firebrandt said: »
Hi all, I quit in 2007 and recently came back... Thanks to Abyssea I know have a 99 BLU. I spent the time to cap my Blue Skill but now its time to actually gear it and learn more spells.

Are the sets in the OP still up to date? What should the priority be for reforging AF and Relic?

Thanks!

For the most part with maybe one exception on Chiner belt +1 mentioned somewhere in thread
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-31 17:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Doc Ugh should go test Attack vs Blue Skill! I'm inclined to believe attack wins since we're not capping blue attack on anything worthwhile, and someone said 8 skill is giving 0 or 2 base DMG, which to me seems like attack would win out, so like Whirlpool Mask vs Luhlaza Kaffeiyih(although can get 8 more str from Ejekemal, but the attack might be better than base dmg, plus 25 acc to boot)

We've already tested this, but due to fears or Nerf we're not posting it.
By Refia1 2014-10-31 17:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Asura.Highwynn said: »

We've already tested this, but due to fears or Nerf we're not posting it.

dood dont hold out man xD let us know ur findings
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-01 19:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I know the OP doesn't take into account HQ Windbuffet, and since I'm practically braindead when it comes to working spreadsheets, does anybody know how Shetal and HQ Windbuffet compare for TP?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-01 22:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

gearsets mostly updated. unless anyone has data I can't update WSC or anything for spells that got adjusted, but it didnt seem very impressive anyway.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-02 21:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

none of them really, barely better for TP and sometimes not even that. better if you have fire weather though. for realmrazer you dont want to use a multiattack back to begin with, you're already capped at 8 hits.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-11-03 05:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

On any content worthwhile:

ItemSet 327763
 Bahamut.Lykinia
Server: Bahamut
user: ducky25
By Bahamut.Lykinia 2014-11-04 14:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the link to my Realmrazer set.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/329281
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-04 14:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lykinia said: »
 Bahamut.Lykinia
Server: Bahamut
user: ducky25
By Bahamut.Lykinia 2014-11-04 14:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-05 16:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

How much better is shetal stone vs windbuffet+1? Wondering if it's really vital since getting a group for headwind has been a pain, and when I do, 5 ppl are /seacom'd on the belt
 Ragnarok.Luloo
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-11-05 17:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well on pt set with capped magical haste,u need 11 dw from equip to cap delay, shetal and suppa do the job, tbh i cannot see other way to....so ya imo its pretty important to have
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-05 18:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well on pt set with capped magical haste,u need 11 dw from equip to cap delay, shetal and suppa do the job, tbh i cannot see other way to....so ya imo its pretty important to have

The exception being if you have haste samba from a subjob, in which case you'd use suppa and windbuffet, merited samba you'd use DA earrings and windbuffet.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-11-06 08:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

The exception being if you have haste samba from a subjob, in which case you'd use suppa and windbuffet, merited samba you'd use DA earrings and windbuffet.

Yes, though only few times it happened to me to have a COR/DNC meleeing in recent content, never had a DNC in pt (which tbh id like to).
 Valefor.Ophannus
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-11-06 11:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh, pain in the *** to get it since everyone wants it and it's hard enough finding chumps to do the fight, though it's pretty easy on VD with PLD, 2RNG, WHM, COR and GEO; and each Mithra has a chance of dropping it/can drop from each one.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-07 06:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Adoulin rings for BLU, rough "tiers". Choosing just one is extremely difficult for this job, let alone considering others as well.

Upper Tier (These are excellent)

Excellent magic accuracy and precast piece. Offers additional bonus of enhancing some spells and Flash Nova. Probably BLU's best choice.

10 Blue Magic skill (phys spells, macc, buff tiers) and 1/tic Refresh for idle set. Self explanatory.

Nice idle ring (5/tic regain when running around is fantastic) and nice physical weaponskill ring. Also potentially good for SB.

Barely wanted to put this in the upper tier, but it allows more flexibility than most of the other rings. Can play around with other gear pieces (waist, ears, some haste slots all come to mind) while losing minimal stats from Rajas.

Mid Tier (These are kinda cool)

Good for magical blue magic and SB.

Kinda cool. Allows you to break cure potency cap which BLU doesn't reach normally anyway.

DT set ring that breaks caps, replaces or enhances knockback resist cape, and enhances self cures to boot. Nifty.

Low Tier (They're cool, but impractical choices compared to others)

Extra TH on the ring slot isn't bad, but compared to the other, more quantifiable bonuses? Not worth it.

Slightly better idle ring than Renaye, but no skill.

18% movement speed for a job without access to such previously is nice, but again, compare it to the other rings that give better combat effects.

If I still played, I'd probably choose the Regain and WSD ring myself. Useful for many jobs and extremely valuable for multiple weaponskills (including SB, possibly. Haven't mathed). It's difficult to make that choice, though. I wish we had access to 2 of them instead of just 1.

Fast cast ring all the way. 10 skill and refresh would be the runner up, but neither of those stats would be particularly useful compared to reduce fatigue of combat casting and the other benefits of Weatherspoon ring.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-11-07 07:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well luckily the fine print said you can exchange them anytime for
300k bayld
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-07 07:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

in hindsight I'd probably do fast cast one if I didnt have SAM on my character too. none of the other rings are a huge benefit really for this job in particular
First Page 2 3 ... 130 131 132 ... 445 446 447