The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 129 130 131 ... 445 446 447
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2014-10-22 22:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
But like i said blue skill increases in tiers so that 8 skill may or not give you any dmg but it will give you blue attack(~8). Whirlpool gives 4str which, if the spells is 50-100~ wsc, will give you 2-4dmg, and 25 blue attack, unless i'm missing somethint fundamental.

D is calculated as floor(Blue Magic Skill*0.11)*2 + 3
So yeah that +8 skill will maybe give you 1 base damage whereas the extra str is likely to give more, plus the extra att/acc which is extremely vital for 128+ content where BLU is unlikely to come anywhere near pdif cap.

Also is +attack for blu spells 1:1? Blue Magic Skill was said to give Attack to physical blue spells but now regular melee attafk is added as well, so if my attack is 1700 from minuet and berserk, is 1700 added to my str/2 and blue magic skill to determine blue physical attack? Or is it a fraction of your melee attack is added to blue physical attack? If it's the former, blue physical spells probably have extremely high attack power, seeing as str/2+blue skill+main hand physical attack can easily exceed 2000(1700 attack from minuet/chaos roll/berserk/nature's meditation+~480 skill) plus most new spells have an attack bonus of ~25-33%)

Sword/Club skill (that doesn't come from your mainhand weapon) does not give blue attack. Because blue skill and sword skill are equal (if you've merited them equally), you can estimate your blue attack by just looking at /checkparam. Of course it'll be missing some, but it's close enough to give you a good idea.

EDIT: Actually the wording on the update notes has me a little concerned about +% attack stuff- I need to test something when I get the chance

Quote:
So yeah that +8 skill will maybe give you 1 base damage

Minor nitpick, but 8 skill will never only give 1 base damage. It'll either give none or two.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-23 03:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What i meant is: before the patch, blue attack was just blue skill + str/2, more or less, right?

Now that attack is added into the formula, was it determined to be 100% of our attack + the old formula? Or is it a percentage? The reason why I ask is because a blu/war can get a lot of attack, and if thats being added fully to the previous blue attack formula, it's a pretty crazy amount of attack. Seems almost too be good to be true that 100% of our mainhand attack is added to physical spells along with blue skill's contibution to blue attack. Or perhaps they removed blue skill's contribution to blue attack and replaced it with mainhand attack(but kept blue skill's contribution to base dmg).

If it's our attack+the old formula, our blue attack is then something along the lines of blueskill+(str/2)+attack, which for most blus would be in the 2k+ range when you consider adding nature's meditation, berserk, and physical spells's attack bonus modifiers(which range from +25~33%), right? Blue attack was always in the ~600ish range up until 2 months ago due to it being solely based on ~450-500 skill + 45-50 from str/2 and the spell's hidden attack modifers.

It's on that paradigm that i'm arguing that augmented kitty pants should be BiS for physical spells if acc isnt needed(33 str 25att) as well as whirlpool mask(24str 25att 25acc) and proslio belt+1(str+10 att+28). Attack may do more than blu skill in some situations, whereby 20-30 attack could outweigh 1 or 2 base damage, especially in content where NM's have 1900-2200+ defense.
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2014-10-23 14:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »
In general hasty pinion +1 will right near needle and provide a lot more acc, if no acc needed floes tone wins

Do we even remotely know how normal attack is factored into the calculation?

Odin.Nikia said: »
So sounds like whirlpool is BiS then.

Trying to map every spell is more work than I thought it would be.

Before it is clear how attack affects blue damage, I won't dismiss str+8 ejekamal.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-23 17:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh forgot about ejekemal, just another thing to get now...sigh.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-25 13:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Is offhand OAT sword still best dps option on weak content like delve 1 or job point farming on lvl 114 mobs?

Also there's a weird glitch with wkr spells. I did a morimar and checked the log, didnt learn the spell and it wasnt in my set spell menu. Changed jobs, did some ark angels, changed back to blu for a marjami skirmish and noticed blisterin roar was there now. Keep in mind, it wasnt there before nor did i see a message after the wkr win saying i learned it. This happened last week with uproot and droning whirlwind, but not for polar roar. Anyone else experience this?

They ninja patched it so you can learn the wkr spells while dead so maybe this was a spaghetti code glitch?
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-25 16:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my sudden lunge set, decent mix of acc/m.acc:

ItemSet 330045

Comes out to +123 accuracy and +150 m.acc (got +4acc on Cornflower and +27 m.acc augment on Hagondes Cuffs+1). Figured I'd use more m.acc than acc since I'm likely to get a good acc boost from Hunter's Roll/Sushi/Aggressor/Accuracy Bonus/Madrigals/Distract II.

Might consider using Mavi Bazubands +2 for the -12% recast if it doesn't impact my m.acc too much, shaves off a couple sec from recast in case of a resist/miss.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Juggernautx 2014-10-27 00:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anybody know if Blue Mage is capable of 6-step self skillchains? And is 6-step the maximum number of skillchains in a row possible on any job? Similar to how Samurai is able to.

Interested to know:

1. What 6-step self + skillchains are possible on Blu via Sword only?

2. What 6-step + self skillchains are possible on Blu via Club only?

3. What 6-step + self skillchains are possible via Azure Lore / Unbridled Wisdom?

4. What 6-step + self skillchains are possible via any combination of any mix of Sword/Club/Azure Lore/Unbridled Wisdom?
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-27 09:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're at 69/70 points, could swap Sudden Lunge and Fantod for Diffusion Ray. It also gives Store TP, though for 6 points instead of 5 from Sudden Lunge/Fantod, but gives STR+5 and VIT+7 which is pretty sweet if you're doing content where Sudden Lunge isn't reliable or unnecessary.

By the way, with decent MAB gear(clubs not necessary), Pilar Roar is useful to magic burst after your solo dark SC for ~4-5k depending on the target. Decent if you don't need Harden Shell or anything.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-10-28 03:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Great about the Polar roar burst thingy, do we know other good MB to be used on our darkness SCs?
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2014-10-28 03:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Luloo said: »
Great about the Polar roar burst thingy, do we know other good MB to be used on our darkness SCs?

Umm... Rending Deluge or Regurgitation when cast from behind?
By Luthiene 2014-10-28 10:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Noob question:

What determines the accuracy of BLU physical and magical spells? Correct me if I'm wrong:

Physical: BLU skill + acc? (I'm guessing DEX too since it means more acc?)

Magical: BLU skill + macc?

I've just been trying some HQ WoE and find that my spells miss way too much, so I've been trying to map new .Resistant sets in my lua. If anyone could post me their lua, that would be awesome, since its gonna take me forever to update everything >_>
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2014-10-28 10:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Luthiene said: »
Noob question:

What determines the accuracy of BLU physical and magical spells? Correct me if I'm wrong:

Physical: BLU skill + acc? (I'm guessing DEX too since it means more acc?)

Magical: BLU skill + macc?

Physical spell accuracy is main hand weapon accuracy. So, sure, accuracy from DEX helps, but as far as +skill goes, it'd be whatever applies to your main weapon (Sword or Club skill, presumably).

Blue Magic skill does serve a purpose with physical spells, as it increases the effective base damage (in tiers), and contributes to attack. It just doesn't boost accuracy, at least not for the basic hit (might help additional effect proc, I don't recall).

Magical spell accuracy is based on Blue Magic skill and additional MAcc, yes.
By Luthiene 2014-10-28 10:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »

Blue Magic skill does serve a purpose with physical spells, as it increases the effective base damage (in tiers), and contributes to attack. It just doesn't boost accuracy, at least not for the basic hit (might help additional effect proc, I don't recall).

Great, thanks for the clarification. Now, how would I gear for stuns, mainly Sudden Lunge? I dont really care for damage for that spell, but more interested in the potency and the fact that it actually lands on the mob. I'm guessing a mix of heavy acc and BLU skill should do the trick? Would macc have any effect on the proc rate and its potency?
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-10-28 11:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

For spells with additional effects you need both physical accuracy and magical accuracy for the effect to land.
By Luthiene 2014-10-28 11:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
For spells with additional effects you need both physical accuracy and magical accuracy for the effect to land.
Gotcha, thanks :)
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-28 12:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

INT or MND also factors into macc depending on spell (dont ask me which spell uses what)
By Luthiene 2014-10-28 13:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »
INT or MND also factors into macc depending on spell (dont ask me which spell uses what)
No worries, I figured that must be the case since DEX affecting acc on phys spells was confirmed.
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-28 23:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the sudden lunge stun questions, I have been trying to tweek this for weeks in 128 incursion. SL acc is based on main hand acc and effect relies heavily on m.acc. If you add for m.acc effect you lessen chance it will connect and if you add acc it will land but stun effect won't go off most of the time. For lower tiers I could stun lock with ease but 128 seems to be my wall.
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-29 00:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh before I forget I came to forums to ask if anyone has tried to solo PW on blu? I am thinking of making my sword glow and don't want to rely on waiting for ppl to kill it.
By Luthiene 2014-10-29 04:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Worldslost said: »
As for the sudden lunge stun questions, I have been trying to tweek this for weeks in 128 incursion. SL acc is based on main hand acc and effect relies heavily on m.acc. If you add for m.acc effect you lessen chance it will connect and if you add acc it will land but stun effect won't go off most of the time. For lower tiers I could stun lock with ease but 128 seems to be my wall.

Would you mind posting your SL set to have a look at please?
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-29 08:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Luthiene said: »
Ragnarok.Worldslost said: »

Would you mind posting your SL set to have a look at please?

sets.midcast['Blue Magic']['Sudden Lunge'] =
{ammo="Honed Tathlum",
head="Assimilator's Keffiyeh +1",
neck="Iqabi Necklace",
ear1="Steelflash Earring",ear2="Enchanter Earring +1",
body="Assimilator's Jubbah +1",
hands="Buremte Gloves",
ring1="Sangoma Ring",ring2="Ramuh Ring",
back="Cornflower Cape",(Aug~Skill8 Acc4 Dex1)
waist="Olseni Belt",
legs="Luhlaza Shalwar +1",
feet="Luhlaza Charuqs +1"}

Main Hand Tizona, Off hand Eosuchus Club
Checkpara Primary Acc 809
Dex 95+82
This is my Hybred set i stopped trying with, i went from hi Acc to MAcc to this
By Luthiene 2014-10-29 08:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So what happens when you cast SL in Incursion 128? Does it land reliably and not proc stun? or Rarely lands but procs stun often? Or neither?
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-29 08:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It lands but won't proc;evident by the spell knocking the opponent back really far. What's the point of knockback spells anyway? You can't knock mobs off ledges and it never interrupts their spellcasting. I don't see what the tactical benefit of them are or why they bother to include in some spell description that it knocks back.

Anyway, I have virtually an identical set except more macc heavy since I don't have Tizona. 128 is my wall too, with stun maybe landing idk like 50-60% on Fodder and like 10% on NMs. Also Frightful Roar is often resisted but Enervation rarely is. It might be like Dia/Bio in that it always lands(and has a shorter duration due to that). Come to think of it, I learned Enervation recently, and with ilvl gear, it always landed on me(took 6 tries to learn), so that may be a special property perhaps. At any rate, I had Enervation land every time I casted in 128 on NMs but Frightful Roar never proc'd on NMs. Since I hit the stun wall in 128 I started coming as other jobs because one of BLU's biggest draws was being able to reliably stun lock things.
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-29 10:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
It lands but won't proc;evident by the spell knocking the opponent back really far. What's the point of knockback spells anyway? You can't knock mobs off ledges and it never interrupts their spellcasting. I don't see what the tactical benefit of them are or why they bother to include in some spell description that it knocks back.

Anyway, I have virtually an identical set except more macc heavy since I don't have Tizona. 128 is my wall too, with stun maybe landing idk like 50-60% on Fodder and like 10% on NMs. Also Frightful Roar is often resisted but Enervation rarely is. It might be like Dia/Bio in that it always lands(and has a shorter duration due to that). Come to think of it, I learned Enervation recently, and with ilvl gear, it always landed on me(took 6 tries to learn), so that may be a special property perhaps. At any rate, I had Enervation land every time I casted in 128 on NMs but Frightful Roar never proc'd on NMs. Since I hit the stun wall in 128 I started coming as other jobs because one of BLU's biggest draws was being able to reliably stun lock things.

My Roar lands reliably still as do my dream flower sleeps on fodder and NM. I don't have a problem stunning fodder for the most part outside of a total miss but adherent and NMs are very resistant.
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-10-29 11:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I was 0/10 on Frightful Roar myself on Tryl-Wuj in 129, with HEAVY m.accm over +160~ macc. I basically stopped trying.

sets.midcast['Blue Magic']['Frightful Roar'] =
{ammo="Mavi Tathlum",
head="Assimilator's Keffiyeh +1",
neck="Eddy Necklace",
ear1="Gwati Earring",ear2="Enchanter Earring +1",
body="Meko. Harness",
hands="Hagondes Cuffs +1",(Aug~Magic Accuracy +22)
ring1="Sangoma Ring",ring2="Perception Ring",
back="Cornflower Cape",(Aug~Skill10 Acc4 Dex4)
waist="Ovate Rope",
legs="Luhlaza Shalwar +1",
feet="Shned. Boots +1 "}
 Ragnarok.Luloo
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-10-29 11:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok now im confused, why meso harness and not assim jubbah+1?
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-10-29 12:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Luloo said: »
Ok now im confused, why meso harness and not assim jubbah+1?

Blue Skill = M.Acc
Harness has more INT
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-10-29 13:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Also I'd not run the risk because skill might be 0.9 or something and harness is straight up macc.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-29 13:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Also I'd not run the risk because skill might be 0.9 or something and harness is straight up macc.

Skill is 1~1 this was proven (well tested empirically) in 2007.

Everyone saw 1=0.9 over 300 skill and was OMG THIS IS RIGHT then ignored the rather extensive testing which is on page 2 of the healing hands guide, showing its wrong.

If someone has better or more recent testing directly proving the opposite, then PLEASE TELL ME! Because all I see is people quoting incorrect information and I want to pull my hair out when I have asked a couple times for people to provide more recent testing and they then Fail to do so..
First Page 2 3 ... 129 130 131 ... 445 446 447