Drain/Aspir Body Question.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Drain/Aspir Body Question.
Drain/Aspir Body Question.
 Asura.Akamatzu
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2012-04-23 13:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

For Drain and Aspir 1 & 2 should I wear Scholar's Gown(+15 Dark Skill) or Savant's Gown (INT+12, M.ACC+11)

or
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-23 13:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark magic skill, always. Skill and macc aren't interchangeable as in the case with most other magics, as skill directly influences the damage ceiling.
[+]
 Asura.Akamatzu
user: Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2012-04-24 21:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, thank you. :)
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-24 22:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Dark magic skill, always. Skill and macc aren't interchangeable as in the case with most other magics, as skill directly influences the damage ceiling.

<3
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [68 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-07-01 22:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Since its related to drain/aspir figured I`d ask here rather than starting a new thread(couldnt find anything in the sch forums)

What options are there for drain/aspir in the weapon slot? Is HQ staff still the best option or is the macc trial staff better?

Edit: Apologise for the necro :)
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2012-07-01 22:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

macc trial better mostly for the -recast but imo nothing wrong with hq, I dont see those spells worth the time of the trials. Some people love them some trials though, if you have the patience for it, more power to you.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-07-01 22:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the response, think i`ll stick with the HQ then, I've already got enough trials on the go without adding another just yet, maybe later I will :)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-01 23:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you're actually casting each spell at recast or somehow have ***macc on spells where you can and should *** skill gear, MDMG staff is far and away better than either option. It's also desirable for Kaustra. It should be one of the higher priority staves for a nuking mage.
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2012-07-02 03:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

as a mage where/when those 2 spells matter, im still stuck in a level 75 lowman sea state of mind where those spells were spammed every time they were up and haste/macc/skill balance sets were very reliable lol.

that being said I'm not speaking from a SCH point of view, just blm. but I dont see many situations for either job where those spells were used often enough for the trial to be worth it... for me anyways. but if i was to do a trial, would prolly be the macc one so I could use for sleeps as well, cuz I damn sure wouldnt do them both lol.
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2012-07-02 04:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Stunx said: »
as a mage where/when those 2 spells matter, im still stuck in a level 75 lowman sea state of mind where those spells were spammed every time they were up and haste/macc/skill balance sets were very reliable lol.

that being said I'm not speaking from a SCH point of view, just blm. but I dont see many situations for either job where those spells were used often enough for the trial to be worth it... for me anyways. but if i was to do a trial, would prolly be the macc one so I could use for sleeps as well, cuz I damn sure wouldnt do them both lol.

There's no reason why you can't make them both: MDMG for drain/aspir/kaustra and MACC for sleeps. MDMG staff trials are easy these days if you can get a mnk friend w/ cataclysm to spend some time in abyssea.

PS: Thanks Orth for letting me abuse your monk, again.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-02 10:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Stunx said: »
Even back when I played BLM at 75, I didn't always cast them precisely at recast. Pretty close when I needed them, especially Aspir, but any gap between cooldown and starting your next cast devalues the recast reduction. MDMG staff on the other hand is a 28.57% increase in per-cast damage over the macc staff.

Quote:
but if i was to do a trial, would prolly be the macc one so I could use for sleeps as well, cuz I damn sure wouldnt do them both lol.
I don't understand this logic. I can count the number of currently relevant monsters that are both susceptible and resistant to sleep on one hand without using any fingers. Even at 75 cap it wasn't really a concern, as the resistant monsters either encouraged use of ES or you brought a RDM or BRD to sleep them instead. There's monsters with resist sleep traits, but macc doesn't do ***for that and other jobs (hello WHM) have sleep spells that outright ignore that anyway.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [61 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Hawkhellfire
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Hawkhellfire 2012-09-01 14:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Surprised no mentioned Diabolos's Pole for Drain/Aspir (With storm on you). I would think that would be the best staff.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-09-01 22:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It is behind Xsaeta I in any set I put it into except for using cosmos inside abyssea if you have low "enhances drain/aspir" from gear. I would probably not consider it worth the spot
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2012-09-01 23:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

380+ aspirs are awesome. :Q SCH and BLM needs drain2.
By Ophannus 2012-09-04 11:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I barely have enough space for my current gear. I'd rather have HP gear and sublimation enhancing gear for sublimation which is useful in most situations than carry around drain/aspir specific gear which is useless in most situations. 500-600 MP Sublimations ftw

Also i'm sure the Dark Damage Affinity+6 staff is better than Diabolos Pole. That magian staff is also amazingly good for Kaustra and Impact too! It's just a *** to solo it since we don't gain Cataclysm naturally without a non /RDM sub which means we get owned inside abyssea unless someone's curing us(if we're geared for TP gain/damage for cataclysm). Best way to low man this staff is to have a WAR fellcleave mobs and you finish with Cataclysm (or loldrainga or kaustra if you have restore chests)
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-09-04 12:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Best way to low man this staff is to have a WAR fellcleave mobs and you finish with Cataclysm (or loldrainga or kaustra if you have restore chests)

Works with MNK too. Went MAB atmas on SCH, as did MNK. Sea Daughter is optional with Embrava, went for it on SCH anyway since I was pulling with SCH. Built a little azure so we'd get 2hr chests now and then for Embrava recast. It goes by pretty quick.

I should note I also had my pocket WHM, but WHM + MNK + SCH makes the trials fly by.
By Ophannus 2012-09-04 12:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If only Helix DoT counted, this trial would be so much easier to solo
 Lakshmi.Raksha
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Raksha 2012-09-08 09:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I did mine with noctohelix killshots, you guys just need more intestinal fortitude.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-09-08 09:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

On the birds killshot trial (before I teamed up with the mnk), I just joined a misareaux bird party with both chars on BLM and would have one char cast blizzard 4 and the other killshot with comet (or with drain if the mob got really low and didn't die).

Solo should be easy enough with this route.