By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-03-27 18:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends, I find it hard to judge my own personality if that makes sense
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2012-03-27 18:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think my only difference is that typing versus speaking allows you to plan out your words a little better.

I suppose that balances out the fact that a lot of ***gets taken out of context and twisted easier, since meaning can be lost without being able to hear inflection or different tones of a conversation. I guess if you're into Mass Effect, everyone online is an Elcor.

So, I guess TL;DR is I'm still an idiot, just a different kind of idiot.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-03-27 18:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think everyone, at their core, is at least similar to the way they present themselves in an impersonal forum (like this.)

However, RL interactions and presence are far different than online ones, obviously. A friend of mine from mIRC long ago pointed out that if the whole chatroom had gotten together in a real-life setting, those that dominated the chat online wouldn't be the same ones that would be leading the discussions if everyone was face-to-face. :p

As a practical example, I think BBB would have a much more impacting presence in a real-life setting than he does on these boards, even if his typed words accurately reflect his personality and thoughts here. LOL :)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-27 18:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Given an otherwise equal situation (social chatting vs technical discussions for example), I'm basically the same online or off.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-03-27 19:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just like this in real life, but with an addendum. I have a crippling shyness, and have a hard time talking to people, especially face to face. If I got on Skype or Vent with any of you for the first time, though I've been talking to many for a while, I'd still need to work up the courage to say something. At least when I type, I can let my personality shine through without that shyness.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2012-03-27 19:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Im a more shy/serious person in public and like to avoid potentially embarassing situations.

With family/friends Im as loud and dorky as I am online.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-03-27 19:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I am similar to Zicdeh. My true thoughts and feelings come out online, but since typing them out takes longer than speaking and therefore gives me more time to choose my words, they come across nicer or more polite online than if you spoke to me in person.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2012-03-27 19:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said: »
Im a more shy/serious person in public and like to avoid potentially embarassing situations.

are you me? :P
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2012-03-27 19:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said: »

Same in public I'll avoid people/events but online/friends I'm pretty social.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Alexander.Drokin
Server: Alexander
user: drokin
By Alexander.Drokin 2012-03-27 19:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much the same in person and online.

Chatty one-on-one (a few people on here have suffered through this) and in small groups, reserved (but not really shy) in larger groups of people.
Tendency to over-analyze and therefore miss the opportunity to say something witty or thoughtful before the conversation has moved on.
Occasionally blurt out a random thought or phrase that I generally would keep to myself, only to leave people with that o_O look.

Plenty of other stuff too, but you have to get to know me to catch on to it, I suppose. (Dry sense of humor, etc.)

Oh look, I'm at it again. "Just hit the submit button!"
By Zeota 2012-03-27 19:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Drokin said: »
Pretty much the same in person and online.

Chatty one-on-one (a few people on here have suffered through this) and in small groups, reserved (but not really shy) in larger groups of people.
Tendency to over-analyze and therefore miss the opportunity to say something witty or thoughtful before the conversation has moved on.
Occasionally blurt out a random thought or phrase that I generally would keep to myself, only to leave people with that o_O look.

Plenty of other stuff too, but you have to get to know me to catch on to it, I suppose. (Dry sense of humor, etc.)

Oh look, I'm at it again. "Just hit the submit button!"
Yeah I'm about the same.
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-03-27 19:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

One main difference between the online me and the real me is mood swings. I mostly won't really show it if I am angry or upset online. There's been exceptions (two examples are a few days ago when I was fussing and upset over one of my friends having a miscarriage, another was earlier today when I was angry about someone being rude to me in-game), but I try to only really be online when I am happy. But in real life, if I am upset, someone is going to know about it. /blush
 Alexander.Drokin
By Alexander.Drokin 2012-03-27 19:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I read this:

Odin.Liela said: »
I mostly won't really show it if I am angry or upset online.

And I was like, "Wait a minute!" But then I read this:

Odin.Liela said: »
There's been exceptions (two examples are a few days ago when I was fussing and upset over one of my friends having a miscarriage, another was earlier today when I was angry about someone being rude to me in-game)

And I was like, "Oh, okay." Because I remembered those before I read far enough along in your post. >_>
[+]
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-03-27 19:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I vent sometimes! Poor Drokin, lol. I think the "what grinds your gears" thread is full of me being crabby and cranky. But I try to show emotions less online than in person. Especially on Facebook, where a lot of the things I get mad about would start a dramatic flame-war there, heh. I'm always happy on Facebook.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-03-27 19:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

mostly 80% accurate?
[+]
 Alexander.Drokin
By Alexander.Drokin 2012-03-27 19:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

To add to what I said before (because I don't want to derail the thread this early and no one else is posting!)...

I suppose I must come off as pretty similar online as I am in real life, because I've met a few people online and later met them in person. None of them have ever said anything along the lines of, "You seem a lot different from how you were when we'd chat on the computer."

I figure that must say something!
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-03-27 19:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I'm the same, except whereas in real life I have things I say out loud and things I say in my head, online it all comes out. Forever. For the universe to see. And mock.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2012-03-27 19:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm rather shy if I'm not around friends irl. I also tend to... well let's just say I type more elegantly than I speak :P Otherwise I'm pretty much the same.

I also make weird faces, so the emoticons don't differ much from actual expressions xD
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-03-27 20:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Not so much a persona problem IRL. But there have been a handful of times I wished my brain had a ctrl+f option for searching words fast when it comes to a 20 page paper..
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-03-27 20:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
I think everyone, at their core, is at least similar to the way they present themselves in an impersonal forum (like this.)

However, RL interactions and presence are far different than online ones, obviously. A friend of mine from mIRC long ago pointed out that if the whole chatroom had gotten together in a real-life setting, those that dominated the chat online wouldn't be the same ones that would be leading the discussions if everyone was face-to-face. :p

As a practical example, I think BBB would have a much more impacting presence in a real-life setting than he does on these boards, even if his typed words accurately reflect his personality and thoughts here. LOL :)
Maybe!! I try not judge. I listen to people because you may discover something you have not known. Oh I try to be polite because I would like people to be polite me. I have noticed some people say things they should not. Or they are just plan rude. Some people here , if I met in RL. Would be getting answers from me thy would not like. Can't stand rude folks . Or people who belittle others. But for the most part. People on this site seem good natured. Thank you for that!!
[+]
 Asura.Chuuuuu
Server: Asura
user: chuuuuu
By Asura.Chuuuuu 2012-03-27 20:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I am shy and quiet irl with most people lol few people see me rant and be lame and silly :P i tend to stutter and talk too fast so not everyone can understand me if they arent used to me lol D: i still try to be as honest of a person i can. I just can communicate better online lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-03-27 20:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chuuuuu said: »
I am shy and quiet irl with most people lol few people see me rant and be lame and silly :P i tend to stutter and talk too fast so not everyone can understand me if they arent used to me lol D: i still try to be as honest of a person i can. I just can communicate better online lol
You have been posting for a long time. And by your post I can tell you are a good person. No worries. We all have something funky we do, lol!'
[+]
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
Server: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-03-27 20:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I was really hoping this was about a Persona MMO.

GOT THE PROC USE TEMPS USE TEMPS!!!
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-03-27 20:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty out going myself, I don't mind talking or meeting new people. Though sometimes I become a bit of a hermit but not anymore lately.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-27 20:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
Maybe!! I try not judge. I listen to people because you may discover something you have not known. Oh I try to be polite because I would like people to be polite me. I have noticed some people say things they should not. Or they are just plan rude. Some people here , if I met in RL. Would be getting answers from me thy would not like. Can't stand rude folks . Or people who belittle others. But for the most part. People on this site seem good natured. Thank you for that!!

Agreed. I'm very upfront and don't sugar-coat things personally. I can say I bite my tongue a bit online or ingame, however never in real life.
By Juggalo 2012-03-27 20:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to post on a specific message board and certain attributes of mine showed and were mentioned. So I played upon them, even embellishing them, essentially creating a character (or caricature) of myself. Eventually, I went by this name and persona for a number of YEARS online, until my girlfriend finally was just like, "Why can't you just be Jason? Why isn't that good enough?"

So I dropped it and am just myself now. I'm too old for the Internet shenanigans these days.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2012-03-27 20:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more talkative online than I am in public. I'm roughly the same in the company of friends/close family though.

I'm also a little more likely to express anger online.
 Shiva.Keyera
Server: Shiva
user: Keyera
By Shiva.Keyera 2012-03-27 21:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like i'm much more outgoing and talkative online.

I'm usually pretty quiet for a little while when meeting new people and tend to think too much about right approach to someone (usually leads to heavy procrastination =[), lest i come off as creepy or rude.
First Page 2 3