Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » sublimation set
sublimation set
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-23 20:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So with sch becoming more popular recently I'm starting to raise the potential of mine. Sublimation easily beats refresh, and in my opinion refresh 2, when geared properly. As for this set i hope to make a +2 relic body to use for the first min or so of activating for quick fill up of my charge and swapping for 19 extra mp at the end. For tarutaru, can anyone improve on this?

Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-23 20:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oneiros Grip + Numen Staff if active.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of that looks like a poor use of very constrained inventory space. Serpentes hands/feet and Stearc Subligar/Nares Trews offer much the same benefit (actually Nares is superior albeit very difficult to obtain currently) along with having value in other sets.

EDIT: hell, could say the same about refresh hairpin. Forgot mortarboard has no other desirable stats.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-23 20:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is to boost hp as much as possible since it charges to 1/4 your hp. Adding a grip and staff lowers your charge rate as well but maybe I could swap it in towards the end like body. Also the refresh idle set could be used after the charge up which only takes about 2 mins.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-23 21:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Maeldiar said: »
The point is to boost hp as much as possible since it charges to 1/4 your hp.
I'm aware. My statement stands.

Quote:
Adding a grip and staff lowers your charge rate as well
Did you miss the part where it's 2/tic refresh vs 1/tic Sublimation enhancement? Siriti is only preferable if you're precharging Sublimation and thus gain nothing from refresh items.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-23 21:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

yes this is all for precharging
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-23 21:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see your point in having self refresh gear on even while sub is charging since 1 tic = 1 tic and the refresh is going to usable mp. But wouldn't it be better to get out of the charging stage quicker? Or is it irrelevant.
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2012-02-23 22:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Oneiros Grip + Numen Staff if active.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of that looks like a poor use of very constrained inventory space. Serpentes hands/feet and Stearc Subligar/Nares Trews offer much the same benefit (actually Nares is superior albeit very difficult to obtain currently) along with having value in other sets.

EDIT: hell, could say the same about refresh hairpin. Forgot mortarboard has no other desirable stats.

this pretty much, not sure how you can carry hp specific gear, i keep hmp gear in sack as is and long since had to omit hp gear for sublimation. generally speaking sublimation should fill up fast enough now and/or you might be too busy swapping during a fight for that stuff to really matter.

As for the numera staff suggestion isnt the latent only active while engaged? i never bothered using it on a refresh/sublimation set as it seems like a somewhat difficult latent to reliably keep up not to mention the grip is yet another latent, i dont know seems like a nitch improvement eating space as well
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-02-23 22:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using charges strategically, you're no longer getting the edge over refresh. Sublimation is technically better than refresh(1), but only when it's being used in rapid succession as soon as it's finished charging.

That said(and I mentioned this in another thread), it's a lot of min-maxing and effort for very minimal gain. You'll end up clogging your inventory for very little reason, and spending additional time tending to things that are relatively inconsequential.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-24 11:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I could care less about clogging my inventory, but i did some math

13/tic into subli

1784 hp -> 446mp +50 (merit) = 496 ~ 515/(8+5) = 38 tic = 114 seconds (0 tic fresh gear = 0 mp gained)

496 mp +0 over 114 seconds = 4.35 mp/sec

sort of a hybrid set since the refresh on grip/staff is situational

10/tic into subli

1680 hp-> 420mp +50 = 470 ~ 470/(8+2) = 47 tics = 141 seconds (4 tic refresh = 188 mp gained)

470 + 188 over 141 seconds = 4.66 mp/sec

edit: if we add owleyes we get

1680 -> 420 +50 = 470 ~470/(8+1) = 52 tics = 156 seconds (5 tic refresh = 260 mp gained)

470 + 260 over 156 seconds = 4.67 mp/sec

please correct me if im wrong
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-24 12:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

perhaps the best?

1624 -> 406 +50 = 456 ~ 456/(8+5) = 35 = 105 seconds (3 tic refresh = 105 mp gained)

456 + 105 over 105 seconds = 5.34 mp/sec
 Asura.Truece
Server: Asura
user: Truece
By Asura.Truece 2012-02-24 12:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Should be using Moonshade earring augmented w/ refresh instead of bloodgem earring. The earring will yield an extra ~8mp to your sublimation charge, where the earring will give you 20mp/minute.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-24 12:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

that is optimal yeah, but moonshade reserved for melee ^^
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-02-24 13:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Throw merits into it, always remember to try keep a full charge of it for whatever it is that you're doing, and you'll be just fine. The sublimation + pieces are little more than inv -1 (aside from the body). The HP gear could be useful for that convert macro, but if you've actually got that space, lemme know how cause I'm 80/80 most of the time and have no room for SUB, PDT, MDT, HMP, and convert sets.

EDIT: Also you're calculations fail to account for the extra 30 seconds you need to wait before you can reactivate Sublimation so your 105 seconds is really 135 seconds (assuming you're 100% on top of that recast timer)...

perhaps the best?

1624 -> 406 +50 = 456 ~ 456/(8+5) = 35 = 105 seconds (3 tic refresh = 105 mp gained)

456 + 105 over 105 seconds = 5.34 mp/sec

The real formula is 1185 (base HP) + 439 (add. HP) = 1624 (total HP) *.25 (HP/MP) = 406 (MP) + 50 (MP) = 456 (MP) / 13 (MP/tick) = 36 (ticks) * 3 (sec/tick) = 108 (sec) + 30 (sec) = 138 (sec) / 3 (sec/tick) = 46 (ticks).

After all that we have 456 mp restored in 138 seconds (46 ticks), but we also have a 2 tick refresh going at that time also so 46 (ticks) x 2 (mp/tick) = 92 MP. Total it's 548 mp restored over a 138 second cycle which is 3.97 mp/sec.

now try this set.

This set is 10 sublimation and 5 refresh (6 w/ring) instead of your 13 sublimation and 2 refresh.

This formula goes 1185 (base HP) + 54 (add HP) = 1239 (total HP) *.25 (HP/MP) = 309 (MP) + 50 (MP) = 359 (MP) / 10 (MP/tick) = 36 (ticks) * 3 (sec/tick) = 108 (sec) + 30 (sec) = 138 (sec) / 3 (sec/tick) = 46 (ticks).

After this set we have 359 mp restored in 138 seconds but we also have a 5 tick refresh (6 w/ring) so 46 (ticks) * 5 (MP/tick) = 230 MP. Total that's 589 mp restored over 138 seconds which is 4.27 mp/sec.

There, I gained you more MP over time and saved you at least 4 inventory spaces. More if you actually use the rings and rest for other stuff.
[+]
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-02-24 15:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

well like i said, moonshade is melee and i have a different ring when it comes to nyzul so cant use that. so the only real difference is owleyes or not. on your set you can have that refresh torque as well and use adloquiem.

and thats the formula i pretty much used besides round the tic differently and short handed it

also adding the 30 seconds downtime from the job ability wont do anything since i could go full refresh idle set
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-24 18:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said: »
As for the numera staff suggestion isnt the latent only active while engaged? i never bothered using it on a refresh/sublimation set as it seems like a somewhat difficult latent to reliably keep up not to mention the grip is yet another latent, i dont know seems like a nitch improvement eating space as well
I don't see how that's a difficult latent to maintain outside of maybe soloing if you're bad at managing the camera. Grip activates at MP<75%, so if the refresh actually matters then it's probably active.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-02-28 12:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

well like i said, moonshade is melee and i have a different ring when it comes to nyzul so cant use that. so the only real difference is owleyes or not. on your set you can have that refresh torque as well and use adloquiem.

and thats the formula i pretty much used besides round the tic differently and short handed it

also adding the 30 seconds downtime from the job ability wont do anything since i could go full refresh idle set

NO! Don't use adloquiem, it doesn't get you anything. It has a base mp cost of 50 mp, under Light arts that's 45 MP for 60 TP returned through the neck. If you can perpetuance it, your return will be 120-150 MP. But that's ONLY if have the 1-2.5 minutes where you won't be swapping either the staff or the neck which would completely negate your tp in the process.

Also, you're much more likely to burn through your MP in Dark arts nuking, than you are in Light arts healing. Therefore if you had to to cast it in Dark arts it would cost you 60 MP with no perpetuance and would be a complete waste.

BTW that set's end calc was based on not actually using the TOAU ring so dropping that calc from 5-4, but that 5-4 would STILL get you more MP/second and save you more inventory spaces.

and you cannot round the ticks UP in your calculation, Sublimation will keep going until it is @ or below 75% of your HP, therefore those calcs need to be rounded down.

Use Owleyes or the Onerious grip instead of the Siriti, it just isn't worth it.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [44 days between previous and next post]
By Ophannus 2012-04-12 17:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

How about using Heka Head+Heka Body, that's 4/tick refresh, and owl eyes instead of that sch club?
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-04-12 17:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
How about using Heka Head+Heka Body, that's 4/tick refresh, and owl eyes instead of that sch club?

Oh no, Heka body/head combo is 3 tic refresh regardless whether if the head is NQ/HQ. I tried it with HQ first and ended up selling it back and buying NQ instead.
By Ophannus 2012-04-12 18:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So as a new SCH can you explain why +Sublimation gear is better than +Refresh gear in the same slot? For example that Club with Sublimation vs Owleyes.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-04-12 18:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
So as a new SCH can you explain why +Sublimation gear is better than +Refresh gear in the same slot? For example that Club with Sublimation vs Owleyes.

That can vary depending on situations, but if your current mp is high and you don't have trouble maintaining having high mp, then sublimation set works very well. With Argute gown +2, Siriti club, and savant's earring that's 4 hp converted into mp, now that's +6 total But having each sets for refresh and sublimation is good.

There are situations where Sublimation gear might do better than refresh gear and vice versa. I don't have a full optimal refresh set for scholar ( missing Owleyes, Latent effect refresh neck, and subligar refresh) , but it really all varies depending how everyone operates.

I usually use my whole sublimation set because it gives me mp at a faster rate, but I do use Heka body/ head combo too if I really needed mp