Pup in Dynamis v.2
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-02-05 10:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

After reading the previous Pup thread about Dynamis, it no doubt peaked my interest. I personally love playing Pup, especially since these really nice updates, and have played Pup back in the 75 days.

People mentioned that Pup performed well in Dynamis, but through ways that I am personally not used to. I was looking for some advice and what strategies I should use as a Pup to maximize my currency yield.

What kind of attachments should I use and what kinds of mobs (JA or WS) as well as which frames would be the best to use.

I usually Dynamis with my friends but I am always stuck on Thf. But recently due to some work scedule conflicts, I am unable to play with them nearly as much as I would like to.

Any advice on how to best play Pup in Dynamis would be greatly appreciated.

I guess it may also be worth noting that I have sets for nearly every situation on Pup (I.E. Master: TP/WS/EVA/PDT/MDT and Pet: MAB, Haste)

(Only made this thread since the other pup thread I tried to post in was locked and I really wanted a recap on what the other Pup's where talking about)
[+]
By Zelduh 2012-02-05 10:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

http://i44.tinypic.com/iwn6oh.png
Here's a screenshot with me and 3 WS hour tigers staggered at the same time. The other 2 I had already staggered with flashbulb/strobe and the third I used spinning attack on to damage them all, and the spinning attack staggered it as well.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-05 10:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP/THF + WHM Automaton with all JA attachments that target monsters, then the normal solo ones.

Yer set for life.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-02-05 10:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What are all the attachments that you would suggest using? Ones I'm thinking of right now are Disruptor, Flashbulb, Strobe.

And would you guys suggest using Sharpshot instead of Whm frame if I have my own 99WHM mule to keep me buffed and hasted at all times?
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-05 11:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Bleublood said: »
What are all the attachments that you would suggest using? Ones I'm thinking of right now are Disruptor, Flashbulb, Strobe.

And would you guys suggest using Sharpshot instead of Whm frame if I have my own 99WHM mule to keep me buffed and hasted at all times?

Use WAR frame since I think that it's Shield Bash counts as WS stagger also. If I'm wrong, yeah. RNG frame is fine.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-02-05 11:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I was thinking Rng frame since the RA's count as ws as well and with Drum Magazine it may greatly increase the proc frequency :D
By Zelduh 2012-02-05 11:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think the regular ranged attacks count as WS like it does for Ruby in abyssea, but I haven't really tested it much. I do know that Barrage Turbine counts as WS, though.
[+]
By Zelduh 2012-02-05 11:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If RA doesn't work, then your best bet if you already have a healer is Sharpshot with barrage turbine, flashbulb, strobe, disruptor, keep one light, fire, and wind maneuver up, and use a dark if the mob buffs itself. Valoredge would also work but it does less damage, it can proc with shield bash, flashbulb, strobe, and disruptor, as well as both using their weaponskills
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-02-07 20:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried this out today and it worked pretty well. Did whm auto + pup/thf and got 150 coins (wasn't fully skilled up yet tbh lol). I have a couple questions though:

You mentioned something about the automaton not having a sub job. Does this mean it can proc white even when you have a subjob on?

and you also mentioned risk-free statue pulling. i tried to pull one of the TEs with my auto today but still got a mob link. am i doing something wrong here?

Also thanks to Zelduh for making that guide in the other topic, this is something i have been interested in trying out but couldn't find enough info on before.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2012-02-07 20:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No, your automaton cannot proc white while you have subjobs on.

The thing with risk-free statue pulling is if you do get a link you can simply deactivate the automaton before the link and statue get too close to you, the link will depop while the statue continues to come towards you allowing for much safer pulls.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-02-07 20:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yes that trick. Ok great, thanks for the info.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-02-08 08:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Also found out the hard way, if your pet one shots a TE, you don't get credit for the TE.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2012-02-08 08:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Also found out the hard way, if your pet one shots a TE, you don't get credit for the TE.
lol Yea, that glitch was quite annoying to hear when I first heard about it on BG. When it first came out I took to timing a good nuke with a well timed Ni nuke from /nin to get TEs. Worked well enough. At least until I realized "Doi Spath, you can just pet pull the little *** to a safe area." XP
 Fenrir.Hanabira
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Hanabira 2012-02-09 10:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Would pup/thf w/soother + whm/rdm be a good combo to run with? holding 4-5 mobs in eva set, using 2-3 hit ursine claws and spinning attack during WS times?

if this is a good idea, i may work on getting my ursines to 2-4 hits
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-09 10:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Hanabira said: »
Would pup/thf w/soother + whm/rdm be a good combo to run with? holding 4-5 mobs in eva set, using 2-3 hit ursine claws and spinning attack during WS times?

if this is a good idea, i may work in getting my ursines to 2-4 hits

AoE stuff can't proc nightmare mobs (except the mob you'r targeting), so you'd have to just pull beastmen if you wanna do that.
 Fenrir.Hanabira
By Fenrir.Hanabira 2012-02-09 10:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i was under the impression that it could be done, just at a lower rate than normal. but if thats true, its probably a waste of time, except maybe pulling 1 mob at a time, and one inch punch spamming and then finishing it with stringing pummel?

trying to think outside of the box and use WS proc windows to avoid the bsts
[+]
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-02-09 13:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

i was under the impression that it could be done, just at a lower rate than normal. but if thats true, its probably a waste of time, except maybe pulling 1 mob at a time, and one inch punch spamming and then finishing it with stringing pummel?

Yes the aoe'ing of mobs in dynamis can still proc them, but it is much much lower than the normal rate. When i tried it as pld/dnc using AE i would only get 2-3 procs out of 10+ mobs before they died from it.

You could use your oa2-3 to one inch punch the mob until proc. But, i find between SP and auto attachments that i proc roughly 85% of the mobs before they die anyways (this is with burats).
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-02-09 13:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking to make my Pup sets the best that they can be and I am wondering what kind of changes I should make to them

TP set:

Victory Smite:

What kind of changes do you guys think I should make to maximize my damage from myself? (Excluding my puppet atm).

Fixes that I am working on currently are Nefarious collar and Rancor mantle for both ws and tp.

What other changes should I make to my tp/ws sets? Only mobs I am worried about are both EP and DC mobs in dynamis
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-09 14:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »

This is when i tried ASA last fight. It was meant to be a test run but ended doing it complete, that's why it looks kinda messy lol. With more planning it woulda go smoother.
Buddy, this is the Dynamis PUP thread. Not the solo NM videos thread.
:x
Victory Smite:

My current set is

If you don't have Toci's yet, Cirque +2 body would actually be better for outside to boost the crit rate.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-13 07:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried this out for the first time yesterday. I have to say, I'm honestly impressed with how well pup/thf did getting coin drops. Going to farm a Tarutaru sash after this 2hr mantience thing and bump my TH2 to TH3. Made ~200ish total coins (which the bills/coins sold in about 5mins lol. Gonna have to start hoarding these things though for my gungnir I wanna make. :x)

But thanks for the idea of PUP in Dynamis. I have to say it's VERY nice to have no comp at camps since everyone and their mothers are doing JA procs. Just wish more mobs had dispellable effects so Disruptor could be used more. :/
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-02-13 08:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

What an epic idea. More people should, ya know, learn about this and do it.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-13 09:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
What an epic idea. More people should, ya know, learn about this and do it.

And have full aurore PUPs running around dynamis instead of full perle bsts? *** that. People can stick to their JA ONRY stagger mobs. Granted that might be the case after this pet TH nerf for BSTs.

Granted, if people abyssea burn their PUPs up to Dynamis level... lol. Good luck with the automaton actually being useful. Can't burn PUP without spending tons of time skilling up; not just yourself but valoredge/sharpshot/mage frames.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-02-13 09:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That is actually pretty much what I thought when I saw this thread. I would prefer full-Aurore PUPs to BSTs, though. At least the PUPs would do WS proc mobs and not bother any other class.
 Fenrir.Hanabira
By Fenrir.Hanabira 2012-02-13 11:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

lol any idea how much time it takes to get a TH sash? i need to get one, but if they are adding pet:TH gear, i would hold off on that to see if you could TH2 your auto, and go subless for white procs.

edit: an even better question, anyone have any numbers comparing gains with TH2 and TH3 to see if the timesink is even worth it?
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-13 15:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

lol any idea how much time it takes to get a TH sash? i need to get one, but if they are adding pet:TH gear, i would hold off on that to see if you could TH2 your auto, and go subless for white procs.

edit: an even better question, anyone have any numbers comparing gains with TH2 and TH3 to see if the timesink is even worth it?

Without subjob, I normally only get 1-2 currencies to drop; 3 on rare occasions. But with TH2, I normally get 3-4 with 2 on rare occasions. I've done one runs where I'll go subjob-less. Never seen a white proc. :/ I prefer just farming singles at a time to be perfectly honest.

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
That is actually pretty much what I thought when I saw this thread. I would prefer full-Aurore PUPs to BSTs, though. At least the PUPs would do WS proc mobs and not bother any other class.

Not everyone is going to do this as PUP/THF because of two simple reasons:

1) People in general hate PUP. They hate having to know what maneuver does what with this attachment or which maneuver each weapon skill is prompt by.
2) People who burned their PUPs in abyssea will have very little skill on their automatons. Magic is the easiest to skill up, followed by melee then ranged. Even with the skill up attachment, it's time consuming. I have a PUP in my linkshell who only leveled it because they had 90 Vere for their MNK. He has no clue how to do anything with his automaton (which is the case for most newer PUPs.)

I'd recommend for PUPs that want to do this type of farming to have an EVA set. (Obviously don't need this set; this is just what I use.)
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-02-13 19:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
I'd recommend for PUPs that want to do this type of farming to have an EVA set. ]

Do you use this set on the EP mobs or do you farm the DC ones? Because i've been farming the EP ones and get 75-80% evasion in a full haste set (elvaan with 4/4 eva merits). I'm probably going to try the DC mobs soon to see if the increase in forgotten drops outweighs the slower kills.
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-13 19:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I parse 70% evasion vs. the DC mobs on DNC in my DD set. You shouldn't need very much on PUP to cap out.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-02-14 09:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Is anyone else getting strange cure amounts from automaton while in dynamis? I had cure 5s ranging from 550-750. And cure 6's as low as 550 when i only had 250 hp remaining.
 Cerberus.Cruxus
Server: Cerberus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2012-02-14 10:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm probably going to try the DC mobs soon to see if the increase in forgotten drops outweighs the slower kills.

Dunno if I just got lucky, but on first run I did with a dnc buddy of mine, we farmed DC mobs in Xarcabard near Eye TE, first run we did (me wearing tarutaru sash with TH+1) netted us like 9~10 hopes. Typically running and farming EP mobs we get 4~6 depending on luck. Kills were slower and proc's seemed to take longer for some reason on DC mobs (especially with the damn magic proc's).
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11