Excalibur vs. Almace
First Page 2 3 4
 Phoenix.Digg
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Digg
By Phoenix.Digg 2012-01-30 01:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what weapon to get next, and seeing RDM got some new potential i might go for a sword (might lvl PLD later too).

RDM melee is of course kinda meh, but when i just "tried out" Mercy Stroke and Exenterator with my Mandau i was pretty amazed about the numbers, so figures i might give it a try, with new merit sword ws being good utility in VW (at least Pil lol) etc.

So: Almace or Excalibur. Please backup your answear too ;-)
By BellaDiavala 2012-01-30 02:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I own an Almace, with dex gear it averages 1300-2800 @ 100-300 tp.
Was a lot of working duoing it claiming Guku, but I like it.
 Leviathan.Prototyp
Server: Leviathan
user: Starkzz
By Leviathan.Prototyp 2012-01-30 02:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM got new potential?
By BellaDiavala 2012-01-30 02:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Antares body, af gloves jupiter ring throw up boost dex and its sweet gogo zorro sword!
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2012-01-30 02:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're looking for raw overall damage, Almace, if you're looking for a flashy toy just to have at your side and wanna do some okay damage on things with weaker defense, then Excalibur, that being said I can't claim I've seen many good Requiescat, best being 2k on Pil and I've yet to see it go that high again, I usually average 500-900 as Paladin with a moderately good WS set.

I know RDM can utilize some of the same gear but I don't think your numbers will be quite on par with Requiescat w/ Excalibur, you can probably gear up CDC better in the long run, Requiescat lacks to much attack to be useful on anything with any form of higher defense (Kalaustrax, Ganuab, Botolus Rex, Ig-Alima, Ocythoe)

You can beef the modifier to hell and back again and you wont hit numbers worth a damn if your ATK is on the low end, on top of the lower accuracy from 1h weapons in a multi-hit WS you can expect to miss a hit or two with it.

If you end up going for Excalibur, and were to gear Requiescat this would just be an idea, I don't know of other gear to use for the blank slots or even if RDM feet +2 would be optimal for the WSs -25% ATK penalty.

[+]
 Phoenix.Lucasta
user: lucasta
By Phoenix.Lucasta 2012-01-30 17:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

A few morrigans pieces provide small attack boosts as well as str and mnd (body, feet, legs i think are notable).

I have Exalibur and the hidden effect is notable especially on crits. additional effect is rather weedy at times and dont expect big numbers from it on rdm especially if what ever you are poking resists slashing. The additional effect damage is most fun in abyssea where you can do over 1000 additional effect damage. I also like the attack boost on excalibur seeing as pld and rdm have lame attack rating anyway.

as for requiscat, you can probably put together a way better ws set for rdm than for pld but you will still suffer from lack of attack. Requiscat shines in my opinion when fighting monsters with damage resistance as it can bypass those. in any case you wont break any ws damage records.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-02-07 15:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive been having a blast with dualboxing my rdm mule and my thf in dynamis lately. (Yeah its trash mobs but Req>Rudras darkness is sickness XD) but with a Str magian+Joy offhand, i think my record is 2800 on DC mobs in dynamis, avg is probably closer to 1800-2k (i keep forgetting to parse my runs so grain of salt on avg). The HUGE amount of DA on temper is a godsend. On anything with low-ish def or that you can get atk buffed adequately, it is very, very strong. But on everything else, meh.

This is my set for my lolMeleeRdmMule Requiscat.

Its not perfect since its just a mule. Need better rings/earrings and the HQ/RareEx body and rubeus spats, but it serves me for my lolDynamis purposes very well.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [367 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
Server: Sylph
user: Chernabog
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-02-08 19:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how noone actually answered the initial question.
By Quiznor 2013-02-08 19:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ningyotsukai said: »

Probably because you shouldnt be weilding a sword on RDM,unless its a convert macro for the mythic?
[+]
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2013-02-08 19:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

Probably because you shouldnt be weilding a sword on RDM,unless its a convert macro for the mythic?

Sadly, this.
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-02-08 19:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably because you shouldnt be playing RDM.
ftfy
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-08 20:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not, no reason to use a staff if you're solo, and nobody is inviting a RDM to a party. >.>
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-02-08 20:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

use joyeuse and spam death blossom because it's pretty
[+]
 Caitsith.Zabimaru
Server: Caitsith
user: Zabimaru
By Caitsith.Zabimaru 2013-02-08 20:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the kind of stupid comment I hate seeing. He's obviously not gonna show up to events as a sword-wielding RDM, but If he wants to have fun meleeing on RDM, solo or amongst friends, who are you to tell him he shouldn't?
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-02-08 21:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zabimaru said: »

That's the kind of stupid comment I hate seeing. He's obviously not gonna show up to events as a sword-wielding RDM, but If he wants to have fun meleeing on RDM, solo or amongst friends, who are you to tell him he shouldn't?

Surely there's something more productive he could be doing? Like working on a piece of gear,or earning gil in VW,or since its compared to RDM melee,maybe standing around in PJ?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-02-08 21:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

there's nothing more productive than vanity
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-02-08 21:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
there's nothing more productive than vanity

Compared to RDM melee,this is true
 Phoenix.Xax
By Phoenix.Xax 2013-02-08 21:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Surely there's something more productive he could be doing? Like working on a piece of gear,or earning gil in VW,or since its compared to RDM melee,maybe standing around in PJ?

Lol i duno. some people play games to have fun?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-09 15:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xax said: »

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

We DO NOT allow that attitude around here.

Around here we all work 80hrs per week making our characters better then each other. You will work on a R/M/E until it's at 99, then you'll work on another. Your expected to spend a bazillion gil on every conceivable upgrade possible, and if you don't have a single one then GTFO and play another game!!!

<.<

To heavy me thinks...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-02-09 15:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

swapping shields on pld!
 Asura.Diggs
By Asura.Diggs 2013-02-09 16:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol I actually checked this thread from the front page as I found it kinda interesting. Fun part is that it was my own thread fom a year ago, just forgot. Sadly I have to agree to the fact that its no real answear here though. However, after this thread I still made this Excal 95, took my Mandau 99 and made a Ukon 99 and Ragnarok 99. I'm pretty sure I focused an hour or two, or a few hundred mills of gil or something like that on something useful - but after doing all those chores, its good to do something else for the change of phase. Something for the pure fun other than dishing out high numbers. Now I enjoy stuff like lolrdmmelee in salvage. It's not hard, it's not really useful, it's not amagadlookatthese numbers, but it's yea kinda fun.

Idc about the the initial question anymore though. Atm it seems like Excal is exeeding in sitiations where you change shields (aka dont ws alot) becaue of the high dot and the added effect. Obviously that is for PLD ofc. Other than that idk and idc. Excalibur is a real pixel-beauty and I do not regret it just because of that, because there is like no real reason to pimp RDM dd dmg. On random thrash maybe Almace wins with CDC ofc, but yea, I will make a hundred Excaliburs before one single Almace just of the beauty of it compared to that ugly-as-***-cheap-***-Almace.

Now give me the flamewar.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-02-09 16:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xax said: »

Blasphemy.

Only people who have real fun in this game are people like this SAM rocking full perle and a Hagun, thinking that DEX is a modifier of Tachi: Gekko.

And then we crash their world down with the awful truth and they stop having fun, joining our ranks.
 Asura.Diggs
By Asura.Diggs 2013-02-09 16:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

alt 1: Bring Excal for 2000 ws dmg
alt 2: Bring Almace for 2200 ws dmg
alt 3: Bring Ukon for 15000 ws dmg

get ***
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-02-11 00:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Its more like you shouldn't be playing RDM unless you do wield a sword. A RDM without a Sword is just a gimp SCH. Worse heals than a SCH, worse nukes than a SCH, worse buffs than a SCH, enfeebling is almost as good if your just SCH/RDM, and most of the unique spells are accessible via subjob. Anyone who plays RDM without touching a real melee weapon like a sword or dagger is doing nothing more than playing a gimped version of SCH.

When using a Sword or Dagger RDM becomes a real job of its own, because unlike SCH it can put out some DPS. Will a RDM match a WAR? No way, but it can put out some good numbers. Between CDC, KoR, and Req, RDM has a few good WSs to use depending on the situation.

To answer the question of Excalibur vs Almace. When Crits are boosted, Almace often wins. However, basically anywhere else Excalibur seems to win over Almace for RDM, the poor DEX gear options RDM is given combined with the fact that RDM has a ton of STR, MND, and Attack gear, puts Excalibur ahead. At the time the question was asked, I don't know, but now, especially after the Morri+1 and Fea gear, KoR is great on anything with higher defense and Req destroys anything with lower defense.

You can use Req using Almace however it is not as good because on WS you are missing that 40 Attack, and the 40 Attack makes a big difference, meanwhile the difference between Req and KoR in optimum gear on RDM is very small, KoR actually wins in any case you are not getting some form of outside crit boost it seems, so in optimum gear your best weapon is Excalibur unless you are getting crit hit buffs of some sort while fighting something with high defense, at that point Almace may be potentially better.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-11 00:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has made it pretty apparent in their gear releases that WHM is meant to be the true one-and-only melee mage.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-11 00:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

(why WHM needs to have respectable melee capability alongside its nigh-overpowered support capacity while RDM gets shafted on both ends, I can't say - perhaps this is the definition of "balance?")
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-02-11 00:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Its because they make gear specifically for WHM only that is actually melee based. Looking at RDM, you never see that kind of thing, you also never see RDM in the high tier light DD sets, such a Thaumas or Athos which would actually make RDM melee respectably good and actually worth while by compare to now. I honestly do not understand why SE goes out of their way to add JSE pieces of gear for WHM to melee while doing nothing for RDM which falls further and further behind in DPS, when its supposed to be the best mage for close quarters besides BLU.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4