Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Merits - Looking for Advice
Merits - Looking for Advice
 Ragnarok.Evandis
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2012-01-14 22:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I am currently a new Corsair and building my character up. I am looking for suggestions on merits.

I have 1 in QD Recast, 1 in QD Accuracy and 1 in Snakeyes at the moment.
 Phoenix.Deboro
Server: Phoenix
user: Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2012-01-14 22:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

QD Recast 5/5 + Either Acc or Phantom roll recast ( Play style )

Then you want Snake eye / Fold for sure, loaded deck / winning streak are play style merits. corsair merits arnt as cut and dry as some other jobs.
 Sylph.Agentblade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Agentblade 2012-01-14 22:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

For Sure you want 5/5 Snake Eye & 5/5 QD Recast.

I went
5/5 Phantom Roll Recast.
5/5 QD Recast.

5/5 Snake Eye.
3/5 Fold.
2/5 Loaded Deck. (2 merits in this seems to work better.)
[+]
By Kiralai 2012-01-14 22:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I did 5/5 Phantom Roll 5/5 QD Recast for Tier 1, 5/5 Snake Eye, 4/5 Fold, 1/5 Loaded Deck.

In general, I think Winning Streak is considered pretty worthless and Quick Draw Accuracy is questionable, though I know some people merit it. I don't have issues with QD accuracy. You want one in Loaded Deck so that when both Snake Eye and Fold are down you are guaranteed to get one or the other back.
 Ragnarok.Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2012-01-14 22:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I am looking to go for a Corsair that can bounce between support and damage quite easily for my linkshell, my roll will be quite situational they said.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I am in the process of building Armageddon.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2012-01-14 22:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Evandis said: »
I am looking to go for a Corsair that can bounce between support and damage quite easily for my linkshell, my roll will be quite situational they said.

This is basically what a cor does if you can build Arma or Death Penalty. Keep up the rolls and dish out the punishment. Also 5/5 Last Stand for those magic resist mobs.
By Kiralai 2012-01-14 22:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

There aren't really any "DD" merits for COR apart from QD Recast/QD Acc. Some could try to argue Winning Streak for less time rolling, but I wouldn't recommend that. At all. I merited the way I did so that I could be as risky as possible with my rolls. All your DD-ness is gonna come from your weapon/gear anyway.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2012-01-14 22:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

QD Recast will help with more Pew Pew from your arma. Kiralai is right though, all your DD-ness is gonna come from your weapon/gear anyway.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-01-15 04:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Agentblade said: »
For Sure you want 5/5 Snake Eye & 5/5 QD Recast.

I went
5/5 Phantom Roll Recast.
5/5 QD Recast.

5/5 Snake Eye.
3/5 Fold.
2/5 Loaded Deck. (2 merits in this seems to work better.)
This is pretty much the best solution, can go 4 on Fold if you feel like it, like Kira did.
QD accuracy just doesn't seem to be needed honestly, we have mountains of macc and agi and last time I've had a huge resist was against Proto-Ultima more than one year ago.
 Ragnarok.Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2012-01-15 12:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for all the advice...so far I now have this:

5/5 Last Stand

2/5 QD Recast
2/5 Phantom Roll Recast
2/5 Snakeyes
1/5 Fold
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2012-01-15 12:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Evandis said: »
Thank you for all the advice...so far I now have this:

5/5 Last Stand

2/5 QD Recast
2/5 Phantom Roll Recast
2/5 Snakeyes
1/5 Fold

NP^^ If you have anymore Questions, dont be afraid to ask!
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-01-16 07:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Kiralai said: »
I did 5/5 Phantom Roll 5/5 QD Recast for Tier 1, 5/5 Snake Eye, 4/5 Fold, 1/5 Loaded Deck.

In general, I think Winning Streak is considered pretty worthless and Quick Draw Accuracy is questionable, though I know some people merit it. I don't have issues with QD accuracy. You want one in Loaded Deck so that when both Snake Eye and Fold are down you are guaranteed to get one or the other back.

I know that the argument of Fold 4/5 v.s Winning streak + Fold 1/5 has exist forever and getting old. However recently I've been playing a bit with new relic+2 pants augment, and did some research, I think it's possible that Winning streak offered new advantage due to current play style and relic+2 pants.

Nowadays many ppl no longer do roll rotation due to DD roll offered more than mage roll, and mages no longer need evokers. At least I pretty much only use regain+save TP in dyna, and save TP+regain or chaos in VW depending on situation. With longer duration and relic+2 pants augment, it's possible enhance the roll potency a lot by spamming snake eye multiple times, but it's better to do so with long enough roll duration, that means with merit+relic hat augment and AF3+2 hands.

For example, in the situation when you use regain+save TP, I usually use regain first then save TP. If I don't roll a No.4, No.8 or No.10 on regain roll, then I usually won't use snake-eye, since this roll has very little reason to use snake eye on due to none unlucky/lucky roll number all pretty much the same. I will have a snake-eye available to use on 2nd roll, Misers.

Misers roll is different from regain, every +1 number enhances roll potency, even if it's not lucky/unlucky number. So if I rolled a No.8, which is a mediocre number, and snake-eye happened to be up, I can use it and enhance the roll potency by giving extra 2 save TP. Then if the effect of the pants kicked in, I can snake-eye again for another 2 more save TP. It is also possible to have the effect of the pants activate multiple times if you're very lucky. It seems that as long as snake eye is available on 2nd roll misers, I should always use it because even if it didn't make it lucky No./No.11, the roll potency still increased, and there's a chance to snake-eye all the way to No.11 if I'm lucky. So there are very little reason to save snake-eye on a No.8 or No.9 misers if I didn't use on 1st roll.

Now what does it have to do with Winning streak merit?

Without Winning streak merit, with AF3+2 hands your roll only last for 5:30. You rolled 1st roll regain, wait for recast(which is 45 sec with merit/ASA pants), by the time you rolled 2nd roll misers, 1st roll only has 4:30~4:40 left(or lower if you're slow). With lags, moving around and possibly bust then reroll, it's very likely that by the time you finish, 1st roll only has like 4 min or even less left if you bust and reroll. So when 1st roll wears, you'd have no snake eye up to reroll 1st roll. You either have to wait for it to up again to roll(and lose dmg not just yourself, but also entire pt), or just deal with it and take the risk of rolling a bad number.

With merit+relic hat augment+AF3+2 hand you have like 6:54, so plenty of time to recharge your snake-eye when you need to redo your first roll. Your snake eye will be up when you do 1st roll again.

Other advantage includes having roll last longer on pt member when you die, or do roll rotations to another pt etc, and of course classic "the less you roll the more time to do more dmg" and so on, I wouldn't say it's entirely useless.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-01-16 08:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lack of Fold is much more detrimental than 30 seconds(1 minute with hat)of roll duration.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-01-16 18:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Lack of Fold is much more detrimental than 30 seconds(1 minute with hat)of roll duration.

You still have Fold, just don't have the lowest recast.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Dathus
Server: Siren
user: Dathus
By Siren.Dathus 2012-01-16 18:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I did these back when cap was 75 and never changed'em and really don't see myself going back and remeriting:

5 QD Recast
5 QD Accuracy
1 Loaded Deck
5 Fold
4 Snake Eye

Mostly for my desire to control rolls and fold on busts, but I might change that to 5 Snake Eye with the new augmented armor so I can get Snake Eye reset to 0 as often as possible. With the augments to 11 I can bust all I want without fear. It's pretty awesome.