Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » starter gear for the beginner mnk
starter gear for the beginner mnk
 Shiva.Schatzie
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-01-06 14:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

looking for assistance on a decent TP set until i get proper gear situatated over the next week or two. things i've been using to settle in:

im aware there is room for blatently obvious improvement, still looking for morbolger on the belt. things i'm mostly looking for are a good neck, ears, and body replacement until seals are done.

as for a weapon, should i make an STR magian weather one, or go for taurine cesti?

thanks for the help, its appreciated.

EDIT: forgot brutal on that set, dont mention it.
By Cannonaire 2012-01-07 00:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether you go for Taurine or the Magian claws is mostly dependent on your future weapon choice; if you plan on making Verethragna or some other awesome weapon soon, the Taurine should be a good hold over. I personally made Magian claws, but I don't see myself getting anything better for a while.

Kemas Earring is pretty cheap if you still need something to complement your Brutal Earring. Also the best thing you can do for your damage in the neck slot would be to pick up a Rancor collar, assuming you have/can get the tonberry hate. Barring that, Calcitrant Stole or maybe an Agasaya's Collar if you have one would be good.
 Bahamut.Vagrua
Server: Bahamut
user: Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-01-07 00:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

made this out of boredom:

could exchange rancor for orochi nodowa or maybe a chivalrous chain. brown belt should be quested by all mnks imo.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-07 01:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

99% sure Hasty Pinion is a bad idea.
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-07 03:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
100% sure Hasty Pinion is a bad idea.
Fixed it for ya
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-07 03:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Horrible idea to be specific, even worse for a job whose tp/hit is more likely to benefit more from each point of store tp thrown in.
 Bahamut.Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-01-07 03:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-07 03:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly are you trying to show with those? Not only are the values incorrect, but it only proves our point.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-07 03:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Stop using that piece of ***ammo.
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-07 04:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Kk forget the -stp part of the feather for a moment... you are basically saying... 1% haste in an ammo slot that has choices on mnk like Potestas Bomblet, Tantra Tathlum, Black Tathlum, Thew Bomblet, and just random things off the top of my head I came up with... which all are 100x's more beneficial than 1% haste... That 1% haste won't even come close to the dmg output over time you will use with those. I'm not even a mnk but yeah... common sense.

And with black tathlum (***I haven't even done the tp math...but pretty sure just off eyeballing) will increase your hit build when replacing that. *Again I don't play mnk but just saying.. that's better than that current ammo piece*

*edited*
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-07 04:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

For the actual question...

Taurine Cesti/X/X/Potestas Bomblet
Tantra Crown +1/Rancor Collar/Aesir Ear Pendant/Brutal Earring
Tantra Cyclas +1/Ocelot Gloves/Rajas Ring/Epona's Ring
Atheling Mantle/Brown Belt/Tantra Hose +1/Fuma Sune-Ate

That should be absolute entry level for still being adequate. You'll eventually want to aspire to:

For weaponskills, I'm assuming that since you're entry level without access to Victory Smite you're only using MNK for Abyssea, so at least make sure to have Ascetic's Fury.

Taurine Cesti/X/X/Tantra Tathlum
Genbu's Kabuto/Rancor Collar/Kemas Earring/Brutal Earring
Tantra Cyclas +1/Heafoc Mitts/Spiral Ring/Epona's Ring
Atheling Mantle/Warwolf Belt/Shura Haidate/Tantra Gaiters +1

Easy to get gear and a decent WS setup until you get more advanced gear options.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-01-07 04:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said: »
Kk forget the -stp part of the feather for a moment... you are basically saying... 1% haste in an ammo slot that has choices on mnk like Potestas Bomblet, Tantra Tathlum, Black Tathlum, Thew Bomblet, and just random things off the top of my head I came up with... which all are 100x's more beneficial than 1% haste... That 1% haste won't even come close to the dmg output over time you will use with those. I'm not even a mnk but yeah... common sense.

And with black tathlum (***I haven't even done the tp math...but pretty sure just off eyeballing) will increase your hit build when replacing that. *Again I don't play mnk but just saying.. that's better than that current ammo piece*

*edited*

Did you take into consideration what I switched out from the set that was given in the opening post? The matter is that of a set that is obtainable at this moment with what he can get ahold of via Auction House. He already said he was working on seals so I'm sure he could upgrade his gear further in the future to replace items such as that atrocious ammo I suggested.

I only threw out the best I could think of from the given situation. It's only meant to be an opinionated set. If you have other sets, feel free to post yours.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-07 04:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The ammo is a downgrade. Hasty Pinion is useless for melee. Its only virtue lies in being usable by mage jobs that cannot utilize a fast cast ammo.

On top of the loss of Store TP, which is rather substantial in itself, you also lose 15 attack, all for a fraction of 1% haste.
[+]
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-07 04:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said: »

*edited*

Did you take into consideration what I switched out from the set that was given in the opening post? The matter is that of a set that is obtainable at this moment with what he can get ahold of via Auction House. He already said he was working on seals so I'm sure he could upgrade his gear further in the future to replace items such as that atrocious ammo I suggested.

I only threw out the best I could think of from the given situation. It's only meant to be an opinionated set. If you have other sets, feel free to post yours.

I did... and I saw... look at the bold.... the thew bomblet I put back in there from what you took out... saying.. no it's not better... I fail to see your point
 Bahamut.Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-01-07 04:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said: »

*edited*

I did... and I saw... look at the bold.... the thew bomblet I put back in there from what you took out... saying.. no it's not better... I fail to see your point

He loses his 26% haste build.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-07 04:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's think about this.

A fraction of 1% Haste (0.5859375 to be exact using the set I posted higher up, though it's late and my brain no think so possible I mistepped in the mathy bits, someone will probably point it out if so)

vs.

15 Attack and 5 Store TP

Moreso the loss of attack than the loss of Store TP, however both are factors.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-01-07 09:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to Prothescar
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2012-01-07 10:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

is faith torque still ok to wear with bruiser's combined and maxed h2h merits? just asking since i have no rancor collar.
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2012-01-07 10:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
is faith torque still ok to wear with bruiser's combined and maxed h2h merits? just asking since i have no rancor collar.
It breaks another damage tier. I'd say it's worth it as long as you don't have Rancor collar.

I'd also assume that combo + Rancor Cape would probably do better than any combo with Rancor Collar. But don't take my word on that.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-01-08 15:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

1 dmg tier isn't going to beat 3% DA, you're better off w/ rancor collar and atheling
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2012-01-08 16:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
Luckily there is an easy fix, buy a Rancor Collar.
 Shiva.Schatzie
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-01-08 21:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

and if im tanking, should i wear something like chiv chain instead of rancor?
 Bahamut.Tychefm
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2012-01-08 21:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Agasaya's Collar works well as a middleground between effort and reward.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-01-08 21:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Schatzie said: »
and if im tanking, should i wear something like chiv chain instead of rancor?
backlash torque is pretty easy to get