New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Death Penalty
Death Penalty
By Fiendishone 2012-05-09 03:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
about 400~500 million gil + a year or two of other requirements to make a Mythic. Implying that the "bandwagon laser tag rifle" is inferior to Death Penalty is incredibly false.

I paid 2-3k per alex at most and overall took about a year to make. My gripe is with all the Emp owners who never cared about COR till Armageddon came out, burned the job in Abyssea, and don't know how to play the god damn job properly and think they're better then other CORs who don't have an Emp.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2012-05-09 03:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

^ and the fact some don't even gear swap and have a hybrid mix of MAB/RAcc.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-09 03:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also for added reading material, if we want to look at the differences between Last Stand numbers for the two guns, assuming you have capped attack of course, and using this gear set along with a fake base STR and AGI of 100, at 100TP, maximum pDIF just because I like bigger numbers, on a monster that is level 110 with 110VIT:

Armageddon

Death Penalty

282 damage difference, in Armageddon's favor.

Last Stand's level 2 aftermath would become a factor if you're not capping attack, I.E. you're without your own rolls, minuet, or something similar. I've not seen data for the Ranged Attack bonus, but if it mirrors regular attack, then the gap should be slightly smaller between the two if your attack is far from cap. This is ignoring the need to use a 200TP Leaden Salute every 180 seconds to reapply the buff.

Now unless I'm overlooking something like Death Penalty's ODD applying to WSs or some such, my case rests.

It's fine if you have some sort of bias against bandwagon CORs, but bashing the weapon itself is incorrect. As has been previously specified, Death Penalty is a piece for the diehard COR who wants something to show off.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-09 06:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's fine if you have some sort of bias against bandwagon CORs, but bashing the weapon itself is incorrect. As has been previously specified, Death Penalty is a piece for the diehard COR who wants something to show off.

Which is exactly the reason I'd be making it and still probably taking Arma to 99 as well.

I do, however, understand Fiendishone's consternation. Armageddon coaxed an absolute ton of people into the job that never cared about it before and still really don't have half a clue about it. It's really irritating. But most diehard players of a job see this in others playing their job to some degree at some point.

I bet even puppetmaster has a few more "hey, me too!" type people just because they were able to get Vere and be a goof about it.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-09 07:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fiendishone said: »
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Long story short, Death Penalty is terrible. Save 400-600 million gil and make an Armageddon.

Pffff, screw all the bandwagon Laser Tag Rifle, Abyssea burned COR's that think Death Penalty is terrible. The only reason they say that is because they're jealous they don't have one themselves. Just sayin kid.

I've finished all assault/Ein/Nyzul/title requirements and already turned in nearly 8k alex(turned in, not saved on mule or something), and still stopped the project for a while to work on 99 Arma, just because Arma is a superior weapon. Did some math a while ago, with my current QD/WS ratio nowadays Arma just does more dmg, even with last stand spam. I even post on SE official forum and suggest them do some change so this weapon so won't be another inferior DD weapon and worth getting, but it seems nobody cares, so oh well.

Unless my QD/WS ratio changes in the future with even lower recast, or in new event(never try legion, so I'm not sure), there's nothing wrong to spend gil on a superior weapon. Was thinking maybe DP can win outside of VW(legion?? honestly idk how legion is like) if racc is an issue and it resists WF, but at this point of the game, Arma is a better and more useful weapon. Just cuz a weapon is bandwagon doesn't mean it's bad. I think ppl should stop worshiping relic/mythic.

Honestly, I'm obsessed with DP's look as much as you all do, but I will probably be more jealous if I got outparsed by another Arma 99 COR after spending more gil on DP.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-09 07:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a small part of me that has reservations due to the fact that it largely is not a better weapon, but I'm more of the opinion that if I have both, what's it matter?

I don't know. Like I said. I'll save the Alex up and go from there. I am making this or Kogarasumaru. Both are redundant to me, technically, anyhow because I've got 99 Amano and 90 Armageddon which I will also be taking forward.

But taking a weapon past 90 for any other job for me at this point would be worse than either redundant option just because it would get almost zero use within the grand scheme of things.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-09 07:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fiendishone said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
about 400~500 million gil + a year or two of other requirements to make a Mythic. Implying that the "bandwagon laser tag rifle" is inferior to Death Penalty is incredibly false.

I paid 2-3k per alex at most and overall took about a year to make. My gripe is with all the Emp owners who never cared about COR till Armageddon came out, burned the job in Abyssea, and don't know how to play the god damn job properly and think they're better then other CORs who don't have an Emp.

And wtf about Abyssea burned job, I know ppl who plays this job decently(I honestly never meet another COR I can trust more), he burned the job up in abby too. As long as you do enough research and spent time to gear the job, and listens to advice without being stubborn, anyone can have decent performance.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-09 07:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
There is a small part of me that has reservations due to the fact that it largely is not a better weapon, but I'm more of the opinion that if I have both, what's it matter?

I don't know. Like I said. I'll save the Alex up and go from there. I am making this or Kogarasumaru. Both are redundant to me, technically, anyhow because I've got 99 Amano and 90 Armageddon which I will also be taking forward.

But taking a weapon past 90 for any other job for me at this point would be worse than either redundant option just because it would get almost zero use within the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, in the end it's really all your choice, only you can decide whether it's worth it or not. Every time when I farm gil in dyna or doing merc for gil, ppl ask me which relic(or Mythic) I'm building, and when I answer lv 99 Arma and DP they either looked weird, or questioned me XD, like it's a huge crime to build any relic that's not Rag/Apoc/Anni or Amano, or build any Mythic that's not GK/Polearm XD

I've been hearing ppl asking me to build another more useful relics instead all the time. Countless times I feel if I spend gil(turned in enough plates/alex to finish 2 relics already)on something like Rag or Amano instead I'd probably get a lot more respect to have a pimp relic DD. Although ppl generally love to have COR in VW/ADL, nobody really care if it's well geared or not, even if you just sit and roll, a well geared relic/empy 99/mythic DD job generally got more respect than equally well geared COR IMO.

If you want to ask me, both Arma 99 and DP don't "worth investment", but if you're as stubborn as me, then go for it XD. You just have to be very, very stubborn and persistent and not to get affected when 1000 other ppl, including yourself and math telling you it's not worth it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-09 08:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Screw usefulness, it's a bloody portable cannon!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-09 08:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Preaching to the choir, Af. I just made Yoichi despite it being more or less a vanity piece for samurai. I'm in an ls with not one, but TWO Claustrums. And one of them also has Nirvanna and Hvergelmir, to boot.

It’s really not a matter of court of public opinion; public opinion isn’t worth a puddle of piss in my eyes.

It’s just a matter of what will be more fulfilling to me. But spending 600m on a weapon to watch it outperformed by my 180m weapon could be a bit more disheartening than I’d like, especially when my other mythic of choice slightly outperforms what I’ve already got…it’s just that, stylistically, Death Penalty is so. Freaking. Sweet. So I’ll be weighing these issues while stocking on on Alex.

Edit:
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

Which is, of course, the argument for...that's far more persuasive than it should be.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-09 08:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Preaching to the choir, Af. I just made Yoichi despite it being more or less a vanity piece for samurai. I'm in an ls with not one, but TWO Claustrums. And one of them also has Nirvanna and Hvergelmir, to boot.

It’s really not a matter of court of public opinion; public opinion isn’t worth a puddle of piss in my eyes.

It’s just a matter of what will be more fulfilling to me. But spending 600m on a weapon to watch it outperformed by my 180m weapon could be a bit more disheartening than I’d like, especially when my other mythic of choice slightly outperforms what I’ve already got…it’s just that, stylistically, Death Penalty is so. Freaking. Sweet. So I’ll be weighing these issues while stocking on on Alex.

Edit:

Which is, of course, the argument for...that's far more persuasive than it should be.

Than get a DP on test server or something and build GK mythic, and spend gilz on Arma 99 XD

Or just .dat swap.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-09 08:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it will be more fulfilling to own a Mythic GK over DP if it's best GK in game D; but that's just me D;
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-09 08:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I think it will be more fulfilling to own a Mythic GK over DP if it's best GK in game D; but that's just me D;

There are just a lot of factors for me to consier that don't merit bringing into the thread that are specific to me and my personal situation, is all.
By Fiendishone 2012-05-10 03:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I refer to it as my "Hand Held Cannon".

Funny story too, when I first decided to do a mythic back in the day, SAM was one of my primary jobs and I was debating between GKT or the Cannon. At the time the GKT was garbage, while DP is sexy. I still stand by my choice.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-10 07:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've wanted DP for a long time, it's just that, ironically, it's never actually been an option until now, when Mythics are at their most expensive.

I'm going to be giddy as a schoolgirl on whippits when I get either.

Both are quite worthwhile to me. It's just a matter of which I decide upon in the end. Strongly leaning toward DP. But we'll see how I feel in a few months when I have the Alex in hand. I'm already a significant way toward Einherjar points; I have the Nyzul points already, I already have most of the NMs killed. Just a matter of Alexandrite, re-doing assault and finding a few people with which to polish off Einherjar. Oh yeah. And all those effing ZNMs. But Zeni is easier to come by now than it was, so...shouldn't be too bad.