Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » AF3+2 VS Toci set for TP
AF3+2 VS Toci set for TP
By Cannonaire 2011-12-11 22:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't find a thread where these were compared before. I was wondering which of these sets would be better for TP. I can do math, but I'm not good with statistics so I figured I'd ask here. I also welcome good advice for accessory changes and any additional gear advice, but most importantly I want to know which would net higher DPS (also, in and out of Abyssea). Weapon intentionally excluded because that is not the focus of the question.

Toci set:

AF3+2 set:

My current thoughts:
With access to Victory Smite, I would assume you would at least macro in AF3 body for WS because I read the Impetus enhancement is retro-active upon equipping it. If that isn't correct, I would think AF3+2 would be better.
Without access to VS, I'm leaning towards the Toci set being higher DPS, however I don't know if that 25% would reach the true gear haste cap (256/1024) or not.
 Bahamut.Gimpness
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Gimpness
By Bahamut.Gimpness 2011-12-11 22:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

as far as i know, sphere effect doesn't apply to the one wearing the body... so you'd still need to wear af3 pants.

I would also think that toci's would do better than af3 body when impetus is down (mind you, i have no math to back it up).

aaand, I'd turn that moonshade from regain (i assume that's what you'd do for a tp set...) into tp bonus, since it serves more of a purpose for just about any crit weaponskill in the game.
[+]
By Cannonaire 2011-12-11 22:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The Toci set has 25% haste read in-game without counting sphere. And I plan to get a regain Moonshade not only for monk, but utility value for other jobs such as BST. Thanks for the advice so far. =D
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-12-11 23:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Gimpness said: »
as far as i know, sphere effect doesn't apply to the one wearing the body... so you'd still need to wear af3 pants.

He isn't counting the sphere effect. 25% w/o sphere... but I do think you are still right in the fact that af3 pants will outdo Calmecac.

Upper set with +2 pants when impetus is down. Lower set when it's up. Although I do not know the answer to your question about impetus being retroactive.
[+]
 Bahamut.Gimpness
By Bahamut.Gimpness 2011-12-11 23:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

well, I can't count then... but

would be what I'd use... not really sure on body (leaning towards toci's with impetus down and af3 with impetus up, but again.. no math. The martial arts bonus may beat the 3% double attack and 13 dex, assuming ddex is uncapped.) could take out usu feet for af3, but I personally like having capped gear haste... would think they perform around the same.

though, you could probly use usu feet in that set to cap gear haste, but the 4% attack from ganesha's can be a lot... and calmecac on content where you aren't capped accuracy wouldn't be the best idea.

and... if you do ever get access to smite (I would work on it...) make a tp bonus moonshade, the 3-4% crit rate in an ear slot is a lot :x

Fenrir.Curty said: »
Although I do not know the answer to your question about impetus being retroactive.
err, I'm not completely sure about that either... (BGwiki says it is, I generally trust that, but if someone has proof showing otherwise..) I just lock af3 body in with it up anyway... since with impetus up it's more than likely gonna be doing better anyway, inside and out.
By Cannonaire 2011-12-11 23:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I see. TA +2 and DA+2 would be +6% more regular attacks, with pants giving (as it is assumed right now) +7% more kick attacks, which are more damaging, as well as reaching true haste cap. That makes sense.
By Cannonaire 2011-12-11 23:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the great advice! I do have a couple questions though.

If your attack is already capped VS the mob you're fighting, wouldn't Toci + Ocelomeh be better than Ganesha's, DPS-wise?

Also, at first I didn't understand why you would go with Usukane feet + AF3 pants, but I guess that all comes down to STP. I might change out Tantra Tathlum/Thew Bomblet for Hagneia stone if I'm trying to stack STP as well.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-12-11 23:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cannonaire said: »
I see. TA +2 and DA+2 would be +6% more regular attacks, with pants giving (as it is assumed right now) +7% more kick attacks, which are more damaging, as well as reaching true haste cap. That makes sense.

Just so you know, because of decreasing returns, TA and DA (as well as kick attacks) really don't add that many additional attacks%. Too tired for the math right now but it's more around +4% or so once you account for atmas and other gear. Also the simple fact that DA and TA can't proc simultaneously should tell you this.
By Cannonaire 2011-12-11 23:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you, I wasn't thinking about that. Does anyone know if TA overrides DA if both proc?

In any case, I've got a much clearer picture of what I should be doing now. Thanks again!
 Bahamut.Gimpness
By Bahamut.Gimpness 2011-12-11 23:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the great advice! I do have a couple questions though.

If your attack is already capped VS the mob you're fighting, wouldn't Toci + Ocelomeh be better than Ganesha's, DPS-wise?

Also, at first I didn't understand why you would go with Usukane feet + AF3 pants, but I guess that all comes down to STP. I might change out Tantra Tathlum/Thew Bomblet for Hagneia stone if I'm trying to stack STP as well.

err, no. sorry, was doing stuffs so didn't see that :x

usu feet caps haste with that set, you could use others but as far as i know, usu feet give the most with the att/acc on them. If you want to you can use af3 feet, I don't think there's *that* much of a difference, it may favor af3 feet for all i know.

I wouldn't be looking for a stp build on mnk. if you're inside abyssea you have a ridiculous amount of TA and trying to take your attacks down a round on mnk isn't really worth it.

and yes, if you're attack is already capped against what you're fighting then ganesha's is somewhat pointless, but most of the time it won't be.

again, I have no math at the moment to back anything up and i'm too tired to go check... so take what i'm saying with a grain of salt :x
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-12-11 23:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you, I wasn't thinking about that. Does anyone know if TA overrides DA if both proc?

In any case, I've got a much clearer picture of what I should be doing now. Thanks again!

TA overides
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-12-12 00:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

AF3+2 feet > Usukane at 25% haste

4% attack will be a >=4% increase in melee damage on most things, but don't ignore Ocelomeh +1's TA+3 set bonus (which also increases WS frequency) when combined with Toci's Harness and potential acc/critrate gains. Tantra body is definitely better with Impetus up though.

I can't think of any similar AF3 items that aren't retroactive (DRG body, NIN body, BLM feet, etc), so I'd assume the info on BGwiki is legit.
By Cannonaire 2011-12-12 00:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome. This was exactly the info I needed to make more informed decisions. Thank you all!
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-12-12 07:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »

Just so you know, because of decreasing returns, TA and DA (as well as kick attacks) really don't add that many additional attacks%. Too tired for the math right now but it's more around +4% or so once you account for atmas and other gear. Also the simple fact that DA and TA can't proc simultaneously should tell you this.

i believe you are strongly overestimating the effect of the diminishing return

however no need to do math just use this little gem

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/20145/simple-haste-vs-da-ta-qa-dot-calculator/

it even calculates the diminishing effect on DA from stacking TA

P.S.
just did the calcaulation and those pants in set one gives 4.6% more attacks from DA and TA

P.P.S

hmmm seems to be some bug in the calculations that for the demisntins return on da from stacking TA