Luzaf's Ring: How Do You Make Use Of It?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Luzaf's Ring: How do you make use of it?
Luzaf's Ring: How do you make use of it?
By Drjones 2011-12-09 08:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious to know how folks approach the use of this ring. Obviously the increased buff range is a nice thing to have, but I'm certain there are situations where it might be detrimental(ie, everyone clumped together and you end up overwriting the DDs buffs with mage-specific buffs).

So how do folks use it? Do you just include it for every Phantom Roll and position yourself accordingly? Do you include it for specific rolls but not others? Or perhaps some method of toggling between using it and turning it off for close quarters?

I don't have one yet so I'm just trying to get a sense of how more seasoned Corsairs make use of it. It's a bit of conundrum to me whilst I am unable to field-test it to get a feel for myself.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-12-09 08:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

In close quarters.. you could just use one melee roll and one mage roll, but that's me, and I don't have cor unlocked :3
By Quiznor 2011-12-09 08:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in the day at 75 I used to only have it macroed in for something I'd want to hit the entire party,aka Corsair's Roll.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-12-09 08:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

In the one event where Corsair particularly shines at the moment (Voidwatch), people tend to be wayyyy too all over the place to even bother trying to split rolls across melees / mages. I guess you could do it but it would require you have people stop whatever they were currently doing and reposition for a moment.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-12-09 08:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's very handy in VW...well, better than yelling at the DDs for walking around randomly and then QQing at me for not having buffs.
[+]
 Siren.Seiri
Server: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-12-09 08:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering that a COR will usually be in a DD party these days in the only event people use COR in (VW), the risk of hitting a mage with DD rolls isn't so prevalent, as mages should 1: be standing a LONG way from the DD, and 2: the DD shouldn't be standing around the sidelines most of the time anyhow.

That said, one of the most useful traits of luzaf's is to allow a COR to roll for the engaged DD without getting in standard melee range (lots of AoE melee for rediculous numbers = dead cor. Fanatics drink is one thing but at times fools is more appropriate).
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-12-09 08:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just have a macro that manually puts it on if you want it.
That's what I did back at 75 atleast D:
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-09 08:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to be a career bard and I can't imagine how you could play cor without it. What is is 8 range? ugh. I struggled enough to keep tards from running away from march with 10! You always get that one guy who has to take the .1 yalm step out of range when everyone is standing around waiting for pull anyhow.

The best part of the 16~ roll range is that a great many NM aoe tp-moves that inflict nasty statuses etc are around 15 yalms. You can have the melee stay to one half of the NM and keep safely out of harms way.

*head explode*

In todays day and age it's much easier to work songs/rolls with voidwatch / abyssea type content. Most of the pulls arent competative or the fights are stationary (no kiting etc) so you just kindly ask the mages to stay to one side and the melees another. This is normally standard proceedure for the set groups/linkshells I have been with due to gaze/linear attacks (ie - DONT TURN DEATH PROPHET TOWARDS THE MAGES). The problem is that shout groups usually don't understand common sense without it being explained to them.
I still find that if you ask people to be aware of your buffs they pay more attention. If not I usually say "be aware of my buffs or you miss out". You'd be suprised of the way that works.
By Drjones 2011-12-09 08:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So what I'm getting from this so far is that I can pretty much macro it in for everything and it won't really cause any issues because people love to run out of range all the time. Good to know.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-12-09 08:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

In Voidwatch(which is the only thing where people want a cor - till something new appears)you should only be doing miser+tactician anyway. Mages roll are not even needed anymore.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-12-09 08:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
In Voidwatch(which is the only thing where people want a cor - till something new appears)you should only be doing miser+tactician anyway. Mages roll are not even needed anymore.

Also yeah, this is true as far as I've noticed.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-12-09 08:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I also used this ring when I was in kiting parties (back at 75)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-09 08:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »
So what I'm getting from this so far is that I can pretty much macro it in for everything and it won't really cause any issues because people love to run out of range all the time. Good to know.

Pretty much. Although, if you say something people tend to be slightly more considerate. You're still more likely to hit more people with a wider range.

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

Pretty much. I'll sometimes have warlock for macc on a brd/blu who can't stick their ***or the fast cast one if there are a bunch of magic procs but for the most part the mages are fine without cor.
 Bismarck.Altkey
user: Altariel
By Bismarck.Altkey 2011-12-09 19:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a key bound to change a spellcast variable that equips the ring on the next roll. Basically turn the trigger, roll and then turn the variable off again.
[+]
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2011-12-09 19:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altkey said: »
I have a key bound to change a spellcast variable that equips the ring on the next roll. Basically turn the trigger, roll and then turn the variable off again.

This is the only way to do it.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-01-12 08:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Back at 75 cap or a pre-arma cor that ring was/is a damn nightmare. Now with vw and cor being able to do stupid amounts of damage without getting much hate tacts/misers are pretty much the only rolls i do these days mages can gtfo and go to the pt with the brd. Luzaf`s is nice when you get these stupid people that stand too far apart and like to afk between runs. If they miss out tough as id rather keep the 11 rolls up at all times. Its pretty much one of the best pieces in game for cor tbh. Really should be macro'd into tacts/misers and can swap back to stormsoul ring for wses.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-01-12 08:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, screw the mages!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-01-12 08:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Ya, screw the mages!

While that isn't quite the way I'd put it, for the most part, I tend to just roll Tactician's/Miser's and let the mages fend for themselves with potions/atmacite/gear in Voidwatch. Assuming I'm actaully in the DD party. If I'm in a blm or tank party it's a different story.

I don't see my healers/support mages out of MP or hurting to get cures off pretty much ever. If I did, it'd be a different story. But given I'm called on to proc ws'es a lot myself on corsair, I keep the DD rolls up full time on myself.

I don't do a whole lot of other endgame activities, I suppose if there was a true endurance fight around still where everyone isn't crammed into one space, I'd split rolls up again accordingly.

As such, Luzaf's is nice for making sure all your folks get hit with rolls.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-01-12 08:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh Captain Ramyrez, one of the few fellow pirates I can trust! ♥

Odin.Creaucent said: »
and can swap back to stormsoul ring for wses.
And demon's rings for QD, and Paguro/Roller's/dark rings for idle, and store tp/racc for shooting. If you want to point that out.
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-01-12 11:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Rings? It is all about subbing WHM and fulltiming MP rings, man.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-01-12 11:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-01-12 12:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah on the phone and typing sucks on here get any typos and it takes about 5mins to sort one out. So didnt bother putting down the long list of other rings i use lol.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-01-12 12:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to macro that ring in (if I deemed necessarily), when being in a specific party, especially if being in kite, blm, tank pt, since people would just run around all over the place (75cap).
would also use it on LS events, from getting to point A -> B on that movement+ roll <3
 Bahamut.Genryu
Server: Bahamut
user: Genryu
By Bahamut.Genryu 2012-01-28 16:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Not used mine in a long long time, but I used to use it a lot in Dynamis in the old 75 days when I was put in the Blm pt, it was always chaotic and no one ever stood near each other, so it made things a little less tedious. Without it I found there was always at least one blm who missed my rolls.
 Sylph.Agentblade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Agentblade 2012-01-28 17:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The ring is priceless in such events as VW and Ejar when the party is pretty much all over the place. I make use of it in VW so that i dont have to get to close to the NM and save fanatics when I pull hate.