Forum » FFXI » General » I'm hurt
I'm hurt
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-04-09 15:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't aware I was such a monster that I should be removed from the gene pool. Regarding what seems to be the only comment I've made on an item on this site, the Kraken Club, I've received a rather nasty note from Unicorn.Friskypillow:

Quote:
O.o y do u have to be rude... about ppl commenting or w/e so what if ppl want to comment/spam stuff if u don like it stop play the game *** hole... better yet y dont u get a rope and go HANG your self the world would be better wit out u

Touché, good sir, but have at you!
Quote:
Okay okay, let me just add you to the running tally of people who have had so much of a problem with my comment that they've felt the need to contact me simply to *** about it.

0 + 1 = 1

Honestly, browsing this site and attempting to look for comments that are actually useful and relevant to the item for sale I was sick of browsing through dozens of comments amounting to "hey everyone I'm buying/selling this item" dated weeks or months past. Worst offender of all was without a doubt the K-Club. As tactfully as one can do on the internet I suggested that people use the built -in bazaar function of the site to sell their wares, almost as if THAT WAS WHAT IT'S INTENDED FOR.

Now I'm used to shouting from the back row of this theater of the Internet and being generally dismissed as a lone, raving lunatic, however this one time it seems that people have agreed with me. If the tally is to believed there are at least 458 more people that agree with my comment than you and your disagreeable compatriots.

I would suggest that if you ~really~ have such an issue with what I've said you should recruit a small army of fellow malcontents and rate down the comment until it disappears. Aside from that I'd appreciate if you would direct your misplaced animosity towards someone who may or may not "give a ***".

Your Pal,
Sammitch

I just thought the whole thing to be quite amusing, and thought I'd share with you all to see what you think. :D
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Odangoatama
Premium
By Midgardsormr.Odangoatama 2008-04-09 15:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm someone who thinks it's ridiculous that your comment on KC got rated up enough to earn you a spot as one of FFXIAH's highest overall rated commenters. Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but that one single comment didn't really need to be +932824832.

that said, I would rate this post up if I could.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-04-09 17:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, like I said I'm used to being dismissed as the lone lunatic, and I expected that comment to be treated as such. :3

One thing that bothers me is that it's the ~only~ comment on that page nowadays. I know there was alot of crap on there that got rated down, but there had to be at least one or two worthwhile comments that should still be there.
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-04-09 21:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If there is a problem with the site, my opinion is that you should be contacting the administrator to resolve the problem. Posting a complaint about off topic comments makes you no better than the people you're targeting: you're just as off topic and non-contributing as they are.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Jonls
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Jonis
By Gilgamesh.Jonls 2008-04-10 00:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cymmina said:
If there is a problem with the site, my opinion is that you should be contacting the administrator to resolve the problem. Posting a complaint about off topic comments makes you no better than the people you're targeting: you're just as off topic and non-contributing as they are.

^^^ does have a point...
[+]
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-04-10 13:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally think your comment was appropriate given the amount of abuse on the particular item. I find it rather tactful, and I enjoy the wordplay.

What I think may be inappropriate was to publicly include the name of the player who was so offended. If I was to send a "private" message with the phrase "wit out u", I think I would prefer for it to stay private.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-04-10 15:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cymmina said:

I didn't feel the need to bother an admin about as the only discernible problem was people not using the built in functionality. As off-topic as it may have been it seems to have done the trick since there's now nearly a page's worth of bazaar/wanted listings under the K-Club. I may not have contributed any helpful item tips, but there's now a large, open space for others to do so.

As for including the name, it's an in-game name and this is the Internet. Contrary to my personal instincts on the matter I've been informed that the Internet is indeed, serious business.

Oh! I've just noticed that I've received a new message today:
Quote:
:p i was just kidding come on i hate ppl that do that too

Apparently it was all a big misunderstanding, I suppose I'm a little old-fashioned in that I take someone suggesting that I should END MY LIFE in such a specific manner as a serious insult and not a friendly jibe.

Honestly though I had never taken the whole thing as more than very mildly offensive and, more than that, highly amusing. :D
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-04-10 15:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Incidentally, site owners do have the ability to one-click delete inappropriate comments, but we can't monitor every item for potential abuse. In the future, if you encounter abuse of the comment system like this, please PM myself or another site admin. We'll not only delete the comment, we can selectively remove the commenter's ability to post any further comments in the future.

Ideally, the comment rating system should handle the majority of these cases, but there are ways to abuse the system.

Keep in mind though, that in most cases, this is sorta like calling in a thermonuclear strike to take care of an annoying ant problem. We'll do it, but please use sparingly. =)
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-04-10 18:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, what? I think there's been some misunderstanding here. Aside from the one comment I've ever made on an item on this site, everything else has taken place in the form of 3 PMs. [3 so far, I doubt anything more]

I've yet to feel harassed or otherwise injured enough to warrant administrative intervention. The "comment abuse" was simply large amounts of buy/sell spam occurring when I originally made my comment in July 2007 and has since been dealt with due to what I am sure is some nifty coding dealing with comment ratings.

I suppose I might need to be a bit more detailed in the backstory in future posts. o_o;
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-04-10 18:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Right right, I just meant that in the future, if you encounter a page that's totally outta control like that, with innumerable useless buy/sell comments or whatever, let one of us know and we can nuke it from orbit. =)
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-04-10 19:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds good to me, but it looks to me like the comment system has a tight enough threshold for removal that an orbital strike would rarely be necessary these days. :P
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [966 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 23:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan