2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Randgrith, a couple questions
Randgrith, a couple questions
First Page 2 3
By IcepickD 2011-12-04 23:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Guys-

As I'm beginning my journey toward Mjollnir, I'm keeping an eye on what gear, etc, to work on.

Which gorget seems to work for it? I've seen mixed comments, but I have Thunder and Light belts/gorgets at my disposal.

Do special WSs like Randgrith Double Attack? Playing with Molva Maul, I don't see any solid evidence.

Does STR seem to outweigh MND when trying to modify it? How about +Attack?

Thanks for any comments!
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-12-04 23:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

IcepickD said: »
Hey Guys-

As I'm beginning my journey toward Mjollnir, I'm keeping an eye on what gear, etc, to work on.

Which gorget seems to work for it? I've seen mixed comments, but I have Thunder and Light belts/gorgets at my disposal.

Do special WSs like Randgrith Double Attack? Playing with Molva Maul, I don't see any solid evidence.

Does STR seem to outweigh MND when trying to modify it? How about +Attack?

Thanks for any comments!

Breeze/Thunder gorget

Pretty sure it can DA no?

Str will do more than Mnd provided your attack isn't capped, when it's capped, str and mnd will do the same, though I can't think of any piece where you use str over mnd, since any piece that is str or mnd, you can get more mnd in the slot.

And I think you're supposed to be using hexa strike~ heh

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mavix
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mavix 2011-12-05 00:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll start off by saying that I don't have WHM leveled on any of my characters and therefor know very little about the job, except how to macro in a 'Cure' spell and the occasional, stressful(!!!) questioning of what the hell the WHM is doing just sitting there (with full MP and almost seemingly AFK), when I'm about to die and getting no cures or /assist;... HAHA :P --- But the WS stats of this WHM relic weapon is similar to the other relic weapon skills' modifiers in the sense of stat distribution. I happen to have a couple of original relic weapons and they all seem to require *ABOUT* the same things (stat-wise); speaking in terms of the modifier stats. {In my opinion!!!}, ~ (with regards to the trolling I'm sure to receive because of my lack of precise WHM job knowledge) I would suggest a WS set that focus' on primarily STR. That is if you're mainly using the relic weapons' specific weapon skill. ***STR is usually the best modifier for most weapon skills. Especially outside of Abyssea. That being said; I would focus on STR gear for your relic WS's and secondly the MND stat in areas where you might lack the ability to add any sort of significant STR.

*** - Immune to trollable scrutiny due to the vast range of differences among relic weapons. This comment is strictly opinionated ~ from God! :P
By IcepickD 2011-12-05 21:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »

And I think you're supposed to be using hexa strike~ heh

Hexa-who?

Gotta get the Randgriths in for the magian upgrades, of course... and sometimes you need that relic weapon afterglow- err- aftermath.

Thanks for the ideas! In 2.5 weeks, I'm about 8.3% there, some of my LSmates are helping me out, thankfully, but still farming the lion's share of money as DNC/THF.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-12-05 21:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my question. What is the exact help text of Randgrith in-game? Some sources claim that it also has a shield break (evasion down) effect in addition to the acc+ aftermath. I hate conflicting info.
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-12-05 21:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Asymptotic said: »
Here's my question. What is the exact help text of Randgrith in-game? Some sources claim that it also has a shield break (evasion down) effect in addition to the acc+ aftermath. I hate conflicting info.
It does have evasion-, -40 EVA on the mob regardless of tp iirc
Exact help text is: "Lowers target's evasion. Gullintani/Mjollnir: Temporarily improves accuracy."
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-12-05 22:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You also become the "God of Thunder"
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-12-05 22:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Wulfshadow said: »
Carbuncle.Asymptotic said: »
It does have evasion-, -40 EVA on the mob regardless of tp iirc
Exact help text is: "Lowers target's evasion. Gullintani/Mjollnir: Temporarily improves accuracy."

What's the duration?
By IcepickD 2011-12-06 02:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Randgrith is an evasion-down effect, 30 seconds duration at 100% TP I believe, duration increases with TP.

Aftermath of Randgrith is improved accuracy, similar duration, I believe.

You get more accurate, monster gets less evasive. The net effect is a substantial accuracy boost (60?). Randgrith's effect benefits anyone hitting the mob too.

Kyarutaru has some screenies showing 2K 2.5K randgriths somewhere around. So it can do some healthy damage too!
 Gilgamesh.Rya
Server: Gilgamesh
user: TheRya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-12-06 09:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Original Text:
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-12-06 09:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that was a distinctly uncolourful post :(
 Gilgamesh.Rya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-12-06 12:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Well that was a distinctly uncolourful post :(
How do you do colors on here? I tried the normal BB stuff and it's nawt working :(
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-12-06 12:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know :( but it is your duty to find out! Your posts are not the same without them.
 Gilgamesh.Rya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-12-06 12:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fixed! How does it look now? :D
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-12-06 12:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Much better :) more like you!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-12-06 13:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the -40 Evasion additional effect confirmed?
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-12-06 13:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know. The evasion down / shield break portion isn't on BGWiki. Friend is working on Mjollnir, which is why I'm trying to figure it out.
 Gilgamesh.Rya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-12-06 13:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen data/testing for it, and figured it was just an assumption based on the Great Axe WS. I would be happy to test sometime, is it as straightforward as pinpointing one of the "low/blank/high evasion" /check points, then lowering my acc w/gear? I have tested other stuff that way.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-12-06 13:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you be willing to do a quick test on the EVA- duration for me? :)
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-12-06 14:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Rya said: »
I've never seen data/testing for it, and figured it was just an assumption based on the Great Axe WS. I would be happy to test sometime, is it as straightforward as pinpointing one of the "low/blank/high evasion" /check points, then lowering my acc w/gear? I have tested other stuff that way.

Yep!

Depending what you test against, you're going to have to swap weapons both to lower your Acc and lose your aftermath. You can test aftermath the same way too, but without swapping weapons.
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2011-12-13 16:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Another question:

Regular wiki claims that Mjöllnir's "Recover MP" effect is overridden by Samba ... can anyone confirm or deny this? This does not appear to fall in the pattern of additional effect priority that is already established.
By IcepickD 2011-12-13 21:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylow,

I can't vouch for Mjollnir's MP recovery, but I have seen with other en-effect weapons and abilities, sometimes only one shows up in text, but two effects occur. I think the one I noticed most on WHM is when I was main-wielding a Purgatory Mace /DNC, the en-stun effect AND an HP drain happened, the graphic for en-stun happened, but was not noted in the text, and a moment later I got "X is no longer stunned."

Tough to say: unless someone is watching MP like a hawk and reconciling the text, I can't answer.
 Sylph.Fugue
Server: Sylph
user: Clave
By Sylph.Fugue 2011-12-18 18:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I remember, Izzy tested it back when he played using the /check method, and that's where it came from. Unfortunately I don't remember where his data is. Someone light the Izzy signal.

A quick google revealed http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/42449-WHM-Melee-random-crap?p=1907297&viewfull=1#post1907297 for the Aftermath effect. In the post after that one he says it does not include the shield break effect. I'm not sure what happened to his testing data. I haven't found the data on Shield Break yet. It would not hurt to re-test anyway both for confirmation (since test data is unavailable to us right now) and just to see if it's changed since the lvl 75 cap. Though likely it has not since no other Relic WS effects have changed.

I'm also fairly sure the Recover MP effect has priority over Sambas. I'll double check with Kyaru when she gets home.
 Sylph.Kyarutaru
user: Kyarutaru
By Sylph.Kyarutaru 2011-12-18 22:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok yeah confirmed. Recover MP does have priority over Sambas when it procs. Just went and smacked up some lizards with Drain Samba II up and Recover MP still proced, but in that same round, I did NOT drain any HP from the mob.

I'll try to work on figuring out Recover MP proc rate in general sometime too.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2011-12-18 22:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guessing that means it can't proc when Asupice/Misery is up, though. That's a shame.
 Sylph.Fugue
user: Clave
By Sylph.Fugue 2011-12-19 01:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

While she was doing that I got some cheap gear (mostly cheap -acc +r.acc rings) to test the evasion down effect. Abyssea was easier to test in simply because of regain atmas. Same mob was claimed and used for each of the 3 tests. One thing of note is that some monsters seem immune or resistant to the effect, much like with Shield Break. Our first attempt to test was on Highland Treant and the effect did not land in 3 uses of Randgrith, so we moved on to Lizards for first test since they have less ice resistance.

Method: Kyaru(99WHM/49DNC) would hold a mob after I(99THF/49BLM with no weapon equipped for h2h check) have determined it to be 1 acc below what it takes to con "High Evasion". She would use Randgrith and I would switch in varying amounts of acc gear until I got to that same spot, 1 acc below "High evasion".

Test 1: Shadow Lizard in Abyssea-Kon, 300% TP Randgrith
Start: 37 acc
End: 5 acc
Difference: 32
Test 2: Gasher in Abyssea-Misareaux, 300% TP Randgrith
Start: 78
End: 46
Sorry, forgot to get pics for this one D: the aim for this one was to try to get a higher level mob to see if the amount of evasion down differed like it would if it was %-based or some other factor. There was a group of RMT-lookin doods alternating between crabs and toads and so the crab I managed to get was Decent Challenge at level 99 compared to the lower level EP Shadow Lizard (75-ish I'm guessing, nobody was killing these that I saw from the side closest to maw)

Test 3: Buzzfly in Abyssea-Misareaux, 100-120%-ish Randgrith
Start: 30
End: -2

All tests were conducted with a lvl 95 Mjollnir.

It's 32. Weird number. I thought I must have done something wrong because I expected it to be something neater like 30, 35, or 40. But nup. 32. Potency did not change based on time like it does with Feint. I kept checking the Shadow Lizard to see if it dipped into High Evasion (being 1 acc over what it would take to do so) and it remained as it was until it wore off at around 2 minutes.

So ya TLDR:
Conclusion: 32 Evasion Down effect on mob regardless of TP. Potency is static and does not change as time passes. Recorded to have lasted up to 2 minutes on Shadow Lizards according to Kya, I don't remember the others. Duration still needs to be tested.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-12-19 01:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Good to know, thanks!
By IcepickD 2011-12-19 18:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fugue, Kyarutaru:

Thank you very much for playing around with this and seeing exactly what goes on! This is helpful for us who chose to try the paths less-traveled.
First Page 2 3