Blue Mage in Voidwatch
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-13 12:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've recently been trying out BLU in Voidwatch and I'm curious as to how other BLU's go about doing it. The obvious and most important role is to proc with our spells, not totally uncommon for the proc to be blue magic as I've proc'd high vurn multiple times on BLU.

After it's proc'd I usually run in and CDC with temp items up. Afterwards for damage I'd normally regurgitation for 400~600 dmg with ascetics up consistently. I've done a Dark Orb for 700 dmg w/o ascetics up in regular nuking gear and Thunderbolt for 500~700 w/o Jupiter staff on (forgot to take out satchel). Seems magical dmg is pretty nice, this is vs Kaggen btw. I tried out /thf, was able to do 700~2k heavy strikes.

What sub job choices do people prefer? MP was never an issue with temps/refresh. If people aren't /thf I don't really think physical spells will put out much unless under CA/efflux with QC perhaps.

One of the biggest annoyances was just sitting there during spell swap wait, felt kinda useless so I think a more supportive sub could work here for cures or -na's/erase/haste. I had been also looking at -% weakness weapons such as -15% DEF, -15% MDEF, -15% MATK etc. If they can land with any consistency vs real targets like the tier3's, then they will be extremely useful during the wait from switching spells. I took my -10% DEF sword out during Kaggen and hit him a few times (mainly for 0 dmg) and wasn't able to proc it lol, I'm not sure if the higher levels gain potency in the proc % or if there was already a def down in effect that was higher.

Some spells I'd normally set are White wind for a good ~1k aoe heal, not too important if you have a dedicated healer per party. Winds of promy, very useful, and the normal ones such as haste/refresh. Do people find it useful to select a group of spells that you will always be swapping out of? I think it would be more beneficial to plan ahead than to just randomly dump out spells to try and cram the proc ones in once you find the element.

As far as atamcites, this is the combo I use:

Atmacite of Destruction
-MP+50 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+10 Enhances "Fast Cast" effect +2
+
Atmacite of Coercion
-STR+4 AGI+4 Accuracy+5 "Regain"+2
MATK for our nukes and fast cast for spell usage, regain for CA and proc if its sword/club.

Few others looked decent like the voidwrought one and refresh sphere one but I think these two would be most beneficial (coercion+destruction).

Food choices, I normally go between Red curry bun or Sole sushi. Don't see a huge benefit from cream puffs even if you're relying mainly on magical dmg, you should still be able to run in and ws even if its vorpal during stagger.
 Siren.Seiri
Server: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-10-13 12:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering i so rarely go blu to VW i cant say much, but. What your doing seems pretty efficient, and that nuke damage is pretty damn high -.-. Regurg is pretty nice though for dmg, so i'd deffo agree with that being your main DD spell - no hate, 1 blue point and pretty cheap.

As far as i know...wasnt the % on the weapon the proc rate rather than the decrease?

/sch is nice, accession buffs, some magic procs, some cures, self RR etc, as we dont need /rdm fresh.

Edit: Sanguine will almost always beat vorpal on VW, can push 900~1k on T4s assuming no resist.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-13 12:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure its not the proc % but the potency of the effect. If it is the proc rate, I'd like to see what the effect is. I am mainly talking about the new path Tier3's, the Tier4's from nation are pretty much not important since they aren't hard to damage. I don't know the numbers between Sanguine and vorpal on new Tier3s but would be interesting to see, I don't use either though since I have cdc.
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-10-13 12:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
I'm pretty sure its not the proc % but the potency of the effect. If it is the proc rate, I'd like to see what the effect is. I am mainly talking about the new path Tier3's, the Tier4's from nation are pretty much not important since they aren't hard to damage. I don't know the numbers between Sanguine and vorpal on new Tier3s but would be interesting to see, I don't use either though since I have cdc.

Meant T3s but oh well.

Its just something i remember seeing, at work atm so cant really spend time checking, so dont quote me lol (proc rate)

Sometimes sanguine is nice even with CDC when ur phys dmg is doing squat. Cant say this is a normal thing though lol.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-13 13:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you mean physical immunity? My cdc always did from 500~1.5k, didn't see any lower than that with food + stalwarts drink.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2011-10-13 16:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been thinking about working on those stat -% swords, but I don't know anyone who has tested to see how effective they are on the higher tier VW. As for sub job, I don't get too many chances to go blu, but I generally /rdm if I can since I get put into the party with the blms. I believe /whm would benefit more with hastes, cures, na spells and erases though.

As for food, heavy strike is probably the only spell that I can do great damage with so I generally use sole sushi over red curry buns.
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-10-13 16:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you mean physical immunity? My cdc always did from 500~1.5k, didn't see any lower than that with food + stalwarts drink.

Mine usually top out at 1.3, but i very much doubt my gear is on par with yours.

Physical immunity, or really high def and no def downs applied at the time.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-14 01:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Have to say, Regurgiation is amazing as always lol. 533ish w/o ascetics, 633+ w/, every 10 seconds is pretty amazing considering its almost hateless. My other spells were doing around 900+ but they got me hate after a while :/ (dark orb, e grudge, c whisker and thunderbolt).
 Fenrir.Demomo
Server: Fenrir
user: Skyline
By Fenrir.Demomo 2011-10-14 01:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bah posted from wrong account by accident.

Our blue goes /rdm (think its more for the fc than the self fresh tbh) but I have to agree, he procs a lot more than would would be expected in terms of number of total procs vs number of blue mage procs, which is always nice, but he does great numbers with thunderbolt and cw. Also sudden lunge is cheating. Greatest part about having a blue in vw, imo, is sudden lunge.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-14 01:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I would think /rdm is really beneficial after seeing how the magical spells put up. I think he would be better off spamming regurgitation for damage though. With haste hes looking at a ~10s recast and its hateless compared to CW/bolt which will get you the mobs attention after a bit. I still like to have melee food on for running in to CDC after a stagger though.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-10-14 02:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Something one of my LS members brought up today, but I would think BLU would be pretty beneficial vs Pil damage shield. BLU can pretty much cover all the damage types except ranged attacks (I think?). Or maybe pinecone bomb would work. I'd rather not rely on a battalion of CORs. Relying on procs is just a waste of time IMO, unless it's something simple like a JA.

Along those same lines, I'm curious what numbers regurgitation can put out against Pil. I normally go RNG, but if I can do decent damage on BLU, I could try that instead. What about /THF too, with cannonball or benthic or something?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-14 02:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only done Kaggen as far as Tier3 goes, so I'm not sure how it would fare against Pli. If it does a consistent 500ish, then it honestly isn't worth using anything else for dmg unless it can beat 500dmg/10s w/o generating a lot of enmity.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2011-10-14 02:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Something one of my LS members brought up today, but I would think BLU would be pretty beneficial vs Pil damage shield. BLU can pretty much cover all the damage types except ranged attacks (I think?). Or maybe pinecone bomb would work. I'd rather not rely on a battalion of CORs. Relying on procs is just a waste of time IMO, unless it's something simple like a JA.

Along those same lines, I'm curious what numbers regurgitation can put out against Pil. I normally go RNG, but if I can do decent damage on BLU, I could try that instead. What about /THF too, with cannonball or benthic or something?

I guess Feather Storm could probably cover in finding that shield's weakness, but I doubt its worth setting.

I thought about regurgitation, I didn't know it put out those type of numbers though. I may have to start making a set for it as well
 Shiva.Zykei
Server: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2011-10-14 03:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

iirc I was hitting Pil for about 400 with both regurgitation and mind blast.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-10-14 06:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice. I think I'll have my BLUs do that then. I was kind of worried that it wouldn't do much damage considering a lot of the caturaes seem to resist magic damage. Will avoid having him move around too much too.
 Phoenix.Symbiote
Server: Phoenix
user: psynosis
By Phoenix.Symbiote 2011-10-17 01:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

not to sure how you did that much, mine where only hitting from 10-40 on pil tonight.
 Quetzalcoatl.Longarm
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Longarm
By Quetzalcoatl.Longarm 2011-10-17 04:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I go as BLU/THF to every Voidwatch event and pretty much set up for Benthic most of the time and when spells are needed that others can't get then I change mine.

On mobs like Kaggen, at the start, we usually do an sc with a PLD using CDC to Benthic for dark and the mages burst to take him down a bit since he has a ton of hp.

I just run in when we get a proc and do Chain Efflux Sa Ta then Benthic and run out again. If my spells aren't ready then I do CDC. You barely have enough time to use all the JAs though and you gotta be kinda fast but most of the time Efflux isn't up so it's usually just Chain.

After doing all of that I don't really have time to use a fanatics so I just run away, but sometimes you have just enough time to use one. Usually throughout the fight I sc with a PLD again and the mages burst again and he goes down pretty fast. If I have hate I stay in and use a fanatics if I'm not dead already.

I can usually bust out 1700 - 2.5 on Kaggen and about the same on Pil and a little under 3k on Akvan. On Aello I was in the 2.5 range and for Uptala and Qilin I switched to Vanity Dive and was in the 2.5 to 2.8 range with those ones. The only problem with Qilin is that I had all my proc spells set or as many as I could fit since we proc as we zerg so I mainly use CDC and do Vanity once we are capped and at the start of the fight. CDC was pretty decent though even with full agi spells in and sometimes full sets of proc spells in it was doing around 1k - 1.5k.

I do keep White wind in all the time which really comes in handy. I haven't tried any other sub since /thf seems to do the most damage and works best for me. I also use the regain atmacite as well.

Got lucky the other day and got a Mantis Eye and my Toci's Harness in the same day!

When setting up for Benthic Typhoon I go all Agi with some other dd spells in there as well that happen to give dual wield.

Benthic Typhoon

Vanity Dive

CDC

White Wind
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-22 14:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Symbiote said: »
not to sure how you did that much, mine where only hitting from 10-40 on pil tonight.

Were you behind it? What does your nuking set look like? I'd imagine it has high magic resistance (haven't fought it yet) but 10~40 sounds odd.

@above, /THF doesn't seem so appealing vs nukes unless you need the TH if theres no THF or mob has high magic resistance. In that 1m that you wait for SA to be up to do ~3000 dmg you could have done ~5,000 dmg with Regurgitation (and take 0 hate) or more with other nukes in addition to it. How does /thf seem to do the most damage if you haven't even tried the other subs? I've done /THF and it was nothing spectacular compared to nukes. You would be better off /rdm with fast cast/MAB freeing up set points for proc spells or other benefits and being able to have additional procs with /rdm at that.
 Valefor.Rancor
Server: Valefor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2011-10-22 15:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu/whm Have healing spells set 100% of the time, change for HV proc ._.b SE has killed the fun of blu. Yay SE
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-10-22 15:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Longarm said: »
White Wind
Finally, a proper use for all these hp pieces.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-22 16:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rancor said: »
Blu/whm Have healing spells set 100% of the time, change for HV proc ._.b SE has killed the fun of blu. Yay SE

Doing it wrong.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-10-22 16:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also only hit Pil for 45 with regurgitation. I ended up tanking though so I couldn't use it after that. That was from the front with the best gear possible minus back.

As much as it hurts me to say it, I think cannonball might be your best for this fight and /thf. Personally, I'm going to stick with RNG for this guy.

Pil is weak to wind and light so that leaves BLU without many options. Go go leafstorm (not).
 Valefor.Rancor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2011-10-22 16:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Changing spells every second for loot: Doing it right O_o
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-22 17:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Also only hit Pil for 45 with regurgitation. I ended up tanking though so I couldn't use it after that. That was from the front with the best gear possible minus back.

As much as it hurts me to say it, I think cannonball might be your best for this fight and /thf. Personally, I'm going to stick with RNG for this guy.

Pil is weak to wind and light so that leaves BLU without many options. Go go leafstorm (not).

Ah really? That's good to know, sucks though heh.

Quote:

Yes but you can cap lights you know.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-10-22 17:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm not the main tank I'm doing pretty much what you do Draylo. Only difference is /DNC for a shot at proccing DNC JA weaknesses. If there's a DNC present however, I would probably sub RDM.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-22 18:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rancor said: »
You're not the only one with magic procs, but you are the only one who loses most of their main job utility for one minute by working on said procs.

Doing it wrong.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-11-03 17:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a few Regurg sets to show and I was curious which would be the most appropriate for Voidwatch. I've yet to do it on any job besides WHM, so I don't have much experience in the damage dealing aspect of it, but I have heard that Regurgitation is the superior way of dealing damage. Here's three sets I have made:

Capped Recast and extra MACC: (Capped with Animated Wail and /RDM)

Capped Recast and Damage: (same as the first)

Full Damage and completely ignoring recast timers:

I usually fight T3 Zilart/Jeuno NMs and other T4s, so at first glance I would assume MACC is the most appropriate, however I'd like to hear about other people's results with sets more geared toward damage. I'd also like to know if I should be gearing towards capped recast (It seems fairly easy to cap anywho.)

Thanks~
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-11-03 20:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

bump :|
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-11-09 04:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I have yet to run into consistent macc problems against any of the NMs I've BLU'd where nukes were superior for dmg. Ascetics is up majority of the time and I rarely get resisted w/o it with a similar build to the one you have posted for max dmg.
First Page 2