Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Smithing » Smithy's torque is awesome
Smithy's torque is awesome
 Shiva.Alistaire
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Alistaire
By Shiva.Alistaire 2011-09-28 12:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

And you should definitely know about it. Seems to be no thread about it here. Had a couple high-level smithers I know that when I mentioned it to them they weren't aware, so thought I'd make a post for those out there in the same boat.

+2 smithing skill neckpiece (lvl 70 r/e all jobs and can be delivered to mules), gotten in Treasure Caskets in Ifrit's Cauldron. There are no new mobs there, pages are really fast if you're on a good job for massacring easy prey.

I went for it cause I'd been looking at levelling smithing, and having that starting at 0 has made a huge difference.

Also a question: any idea what's on SE's mind with this? There's only 2 crafts covered on these new items, this and Alchemist's Torque (Ve'Lugganon palace caskets and may be of interest to smithers as well)

So were alchemy and smithing behind in the general scheme that they needed a boost?
 Sylph.Avekage
Server: Sylph
user: Avebian
By Sylph.Avekage 2011-09-28 12:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fishing also got a +2 skill torque, granted it was from the previous update, so maybe they'll eventually add on for each craft.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-09-28 12:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

There's also a fisher's Torque and one other (I think)
I guess the trend seems to be new Crafting Torques with each update.
 Sylph.Deathknight
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Deathknight 2011-09-28 13:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Smithing has always been a great example of how crafting (shy new synergy gear) is dead. Similar to how Goldsmithing had to compete with SE's expansions (CoP rings, etc.) back in the day, smithing has little to no consumables (RIP imp. wootz.), meaning that any item we made and sold would add to the item's market death. Newer skill items are allowing for crafters to break new tiers on old synths. Given that some of these items are returning to value via augments, I'm sure they are trying to keep crafters busy with the same items as long as they can.

I am unable to speak for alchemy, but I would expect similar items to come into place for the remaining crafts in time. I, too, believe that the addition of the two torques after the fisher's torque is a sign of such a pattern.
[+]
 Bahamut.Itze
Server: Bahamut
user: Itze
By Bahamut.Itze 2011-09-28 13:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

With smithing I can turn a huge deal of profit with npc'ing items. Just takes time to craft the mats. Usually spend 40k if not less and sell it all for 250k~ profit
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [217 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-05-02 21:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a question about the torque, what job is best to go get it as in fastest kill rate and also whats a good way to farm the chest because i tried on bst think 2 vs 1 speed things up and god was it boring and not a single gold chest to be seen after 2-3hrs of trying to lvl up pages on the high lvl mobs.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2012-05-02 21:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all about luck and how you're able to handle opening boxes, it took me an hour to farm mine and I went as PLD, didn't train all the mobs and Ochain them, was just bored and went out pretty much in 5/5 phorcey's aegis and almace, there was a bst out there complaining and told me to sit in one place, that bst was out there for I think he said 8-9 hours straight, :P I told him thanks when I got it for recommending me a spot to sit in to get it, he promptly rage warped right in front of me after killing a mob lol.
 Shiva.Damonz
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-02 21:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Colonelace said: »
I have a question about the torque, what job is best to go get it as in fastest kill rate and also whats a good way to farm the chest because i tried on bst think 2 vs 1 speed things up and god was it boring and not a single gold chest to be seen after 2-3hrs of trying to lvl up pages on the high lvl mobs.

well there's your problem, should be looking for brown chests not gold
[+]
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-05-02 21:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao thats funny too bad i was gonna go out on pld but my almace still @80 so i only haz requiscat but thats funny i might try that since im lvl 98 but still its good to have that already

edit: also lol nice catch on the gold chest thing was just inside abyssea soloing some colorless souls and its why i said gold but i meant brown lol
 Shiva.Damonz
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-02 21:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I figured, but with so many aby only players you never can tell
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-05-02 21:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Damonz said: »
lol I figured, but with so many aby only players you never can tell

yea its true i never got to xp when brown boxes and doing pages first came out i was done with most of my jobs by then so i dont know much about the prowess thing with the chest frequency. thats why i wanted to know if i should just slaughter lowest lvl mobs there and pray or actually do pages and waist the time then pray. also... i suck at guessing numbers lol
By Shirukenu 2012-05-02 22:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Where's my clothcraft torque? :<
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-05-03 01:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

4 hours and still nothing i have chest discovery at 3 though btw does it only come from 5 guess chest or can it come from 6 guess chests
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-05-03 01:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

4 hours and still nothing i have chest discovery at 3 though btw does it only come from 5 guess chest or can it come from 6 guess chests

any
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-05-03 04:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

good lord after 8hrs 5 chest discovery i got it from a 5 guess chest >.> got lucky too lol i picked the right one from 3 choices
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-05-03 04:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

good lord after 8hrs 5 chest discovery i got it from a 5 guess chest >.> got lucky too lol i picked the right one from 3 choices

im working on alchemy torque atm ;; ve'lugannon sucks balls, no kupopowers ;;
 Lakshmi.Leonien
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leonien
By Lakshmi.Leonien 2012-05-03 04:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »

Uptala go
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-05-03 04:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »

the zone ifrit was being controlled by wasnt in the kupopower so i was just going off of luck. on another note though, im happy i didnt say let me do this for fishing since i can tell difference with torque on hakuryu's lol they suck no matter what you wear
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2012-05-03 08:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to farm efficiently, you shouldn't be asking what job to farm on, but when to farm. Wait til the right kupo super power is present - "Mystery Boxes: Frontier Lands" It makes all the difference...

Grats on getting the torque though!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [155 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Kolossuss
By Shiva.Kolossuss 2012-10-05 10:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said: »
If you want to farm efficiently, you shouldn't be asking what job to farm on, but when to farm. Wait til the right kupo super power is present - "Mystery Boxes: Frontier Lands" It makes all the difference...

Grats on getting the torque though!

With the new "Myriad Mystery Boxes" replacing the 4 different "Mystery Boxes:" options, and the description reading: "Treasure Caskets will appear more frequently around the three nations!", does that mean people considering hunting it are out of luck for being aided by a Super Kupower? Or should the new one apply to Ifrit's Cauldron if it's under a nation's control? Just curious if anyone knows or has any thoughts on it.

Thanks.