users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Sylph » addiction relapse need assistance
addiction relapse need assistance
 Sylph.Dubberrucky
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Dubberrucky 2011-08-17 14:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to quit but Ive been sucked back into my ffxi addiction. I am currently doing all the updates again /facepalm. I am now in need of a social LS to invade.
If anyone has the space in a social shell to adopt a re-noob please PM me. I shall be banging my head on the keyboard for the next 7 hours of updates.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-08-17 14:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You were the first person I met when I was shipped to Sylph! I was making a mule to hold a name.

Not helpful, I know, sorry. Good luck though!
 Sylph.Dubberrucky
By Sylph.Dubberrucky 2011-08-17 14:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember you. You joined my old shell for a while to get a sneak peak at sylph life :P

And yeah it is helpful because I am still banging my head at a 6 hr timer.
 Sylph.Jinxhand
user: jinxhand
By Sylph.Jinxhand 2011-09-07 00:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo wassup man!!! I remember being in the same LS as you for awhile way back in like 05/06... Anyway, yeah, I need one, too. So when I do get on a LS, I'll keep you in mind and get a pearl for you.
 Leviathan.Apoptygma
Server: Leviathan
user: Apoptygma
By Leviathan.Apoptygma 2011-09-07 00:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

How to Break a Final Fantasy XI Addiction. (stolen from some random webpage)

The definition of "addiction" is the state of being enslaved by something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (such as narcotics), to such an extent that to discontinue the habit or practice can lead to severe trauma. In other words, you love something so much that you have developed a habit of using it or playing it to such an extent that not doing so leaves you feeling cranky or nervous, and you are becoming disinterested in other areas of life.

1. Admit you have a problem. This may be hard, but accepting that FFXI has taken over your life is the initial step into overcoming your addiction.

2. Consider the following: Imagine the day that you first bought the game. If you knew everything you did now, would you still have bought it? Now the follow up question: Imagine yourself in two years, still playing FFXI, looking back on today when you are making the decision to quit or keep playing. How do you feel about your decision to continue?

3. Find out what has caused your addiction. What makes Final Fantasy XI so appealing to you? Is it the fact that it has different continents that you will never go to? Is it the fighting? Whatever it is, try to minimize this happiness in FFXI, and make it a pleasure that you could also get in every day life.

Take a martial arts class. Many gamers are very interested in the martial arts, but never study it. Take up some sort of martial art that is similar to your character in FFXI. For example, if you use a sword in the game, then take up fencing, Kendo, or SCA fighting.
Try Reading. Novels have just as much excitement and adventure as FFXI, but you can expand other skills -- such as critical thinking and vocabulary -- in addition to those that interactive storytelling and game play will build.
Play a different videogame. Sure, you might just find yourself in another addiction, but at least you're not paying every month.

4. Make it a joint effort. Believe it or not, many people play FFXI simply because their friends play it, and they find it enjoyable to spend time with them in FFXI. If this is the case, then convince your friends to stop playing (with these steps, if needed), or even better, find another game to play. Otherwise, explain to your friends and family what you're doing, and ask them to help you stay on track. When you can't trust yourself to keep away from FFXI, you have to trust someone else to stop you.

5. Set up parental controls for yourself. Make it so your play-time is limited, and use a complicated password that you are sure to quickly forget. Or, ask a friend or family member to set the parental controls with a password you don't know.

6. Schedule other activities with your free time, so you won't have time to play FFXI. One of the most effective way is to get a part time job and book every free time you have to work. Hang out with your friends, play basketball, engage in extra curricular activities at school (such as clubs or sport teams) or volunteer. The important thing is that they keep you outside of your home, away from your computer. You can find that there are many things that are just as exciting as playing FFXI. Remember, your "guild" online is no substitute for the company of real friends.

7. When all else fails,there is only one thing to do left. The ultimate answer, the end-- beat the game. Because when it's all said and done, a dead man's possessions isn't important, it's the memories. So go out and make your own, now-- in the real world.

Tips:
Addictions to video games trigger brain activity similar to a drug addiction. So don't be surprised if breaking the addiction seems difficult at first.

People play games because they seem to find reality is less interesting, in reality, there are many more constructive things to do. Find ways to make reality more interesting, that will help.

You can also find support online. There are support groups on Yahoo and Google Groups, and the FFXI forums can sate your desire to see what you're "missing" as you quit.

Track the amount of time that you spend playing FFXI. Associate a dollar value with that time, for example: 6 hrs/day * 7 days = 42 hours. 42 * $10 = $420.00 per week. You can see that your time IS money, as even the most trivial computer repair or web page and graphics jobs can easily command $10/hr.

Remember that all of your accolades and achievements in FFXI are virtual and do little for you in real life. While your virtual life is blossoming, your personal life could be deteriorating. If so, that is reason enough to stop playing.

If you are doing something that could get you banned, or the only solution is to get yourself banned, make sure you have fun doing it. There are many, many ways to be banned; choose a good one.

Warning:
Your payments continue even after you smash everything. Don't forget to unsubscribe.
 Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Yomisha
By Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha 2011-09-07 00:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't feel like reading all of those, but I think the warning line would have sufficed.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-09-07 00:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhhhh, ok.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-07 00:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Suicide is the only cure.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-09-07 00:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Apoptygma said: »

3. Find out what has caused your addiction. What makes Final Fantasy XI so appealing to you? Is it the fact that it has different continents that you will never go to? Is it the fighting? Whatever it is, try to minimize this happiness in FFXI, and make it a pleasure that you could also get in every day life.

Take a martial arts class. Many gamers are very interested in the martial arts, but never study it. Take up some sort of martial art that is similar to your character in FFXI. For example, if you use a sword in the game, then take up fencing, Kendo, or SCA fighting.

That's it, I'm becoming a Blue Mage.
 Sylph.Brenden
user: Brenden
By Sylph.Brenden 2011-09-07 00:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Dubbs!

I remember doing dyna w/ you in Visions! Check out Dangerous Company.. it's a great social shell with a really cool gang of great people in it. Cailet is the leader, but if I'm on when you are, hit me up for a pearl!
 Fairy.Trig
Server: Fairy
user: Trig
By Fairy.Trig 2011-09-07 13:08:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Do what I did and substitute ffxi for squash. I just got my +2 racket last week... the trials were a ***.
 Asura.Kaisuko
Server: Asura
user: Kaisuko
By Asura.Kaisuko 2011-09-07 13:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Suicide is the only cure.
A little dark are we?
If you're gunna go that far you may as well go shoot up the SE headquarters THEN off yourself.
 Sylph.Venlo
user: Venlo
By Sylph.Venlo 2011-09-07 13:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Noted. Be back later, going to find a large stick and take up arson.
 Leviathan.Matteh
Server: Leviathan
user: Matteh
By Leviathan.Matteh 2011-09-07 13:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Venlo said: »

Noted. Be back later, going to find a large stick and take up arson.
Brick on fire and throw it, normal stones work as well. For the ga effect, requires other extream means.