Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Skilling up Melee and Ranged automatons
Skilling up Melee and Ranged automatons
First Page 2
 Valefor.Flameblade
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Flameblade 2011-08-15 23:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Im currently trying to skill up both of these in abyssea using the following atmas: Mounted Champion (Regen), Apocalypse (Triple Attack) and Cloak and Dagger (Accuracy and Evasion). Im killing mandies in Abyssea - Tahrongi, im wondering if there are any better places to skill up, better atmas to use, and specific things I should do to skill up faster? Im also hunting the AH for a percolator for faster skillups. Any tips will be greatly appreciated ^^
 Bismarck.Selka
Server: Bismarck
user: Selka
By Bismarck.Selka 2011-08-16 09:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Atma of the Drifter for racc. Try killing worms for ranged skillups (old fashioned RNG trick). I'd also suggest killing things that can benefit you in other ways (KI farming, dark ring farming, etc).
By Erlayn 2011-08-17 14:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been using the traditional skill ups techniques. Know what skill you are, find corresponding mobs and area and skill up. So far it's been working better than in Abyssea and I've almost got access to the new WS for both frames.
 Cerberus.Kiori
Server: Cerberus
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2011-08-17 14:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

What skill are you at? I went from the 250 range to at least 300 in the Zerun (sp?) Mines right there off of Bastok Mines. Took plenty of stacks of +2 oils and did a few role reversals.
By Erlayn 2011-08-17 14:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

GoV areas seem to work as well. Ty for bringing that up. Zerhun Mines is good till about 310, then might want to think about Maze of Shakrami or Outter Horotto Ruins. Both are 85+ mobs and good from 300 till cap. If you just can't seem to cap out skills after those areas, then I would suggest hitting up Abyssea to finish them off. By then you'll have access to the new WS and things might go faster.
By runeghost 2011-08-17 15:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I would also suggest the Drum Magazine. It is not generally useful, but with the massive amount of + accuracy you have in abyssea, the faster shooting leads to more skill ups.
-R
[+]
By Erlayn 2011-09-11 16:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally ended up skilling up off crabs in [A]Grauberg. got both new WS and I gotta say, the RA ws is amazingly awesome! I only ended up going to abyssea because I capped skills in Mis. Coast off birds. The d\Drum Mag and Barrage Combine really helped alot.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [164 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Pukushu
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2012-02-22 12:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if there is an efficient way to afk skill? for instance get into worm pt to build time then after you have enough switch to regen atma and auto attack stuff. sorta related, will your pup start attacking things you aggro? if so maybe standing in aggro range of bees.
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-02-22 12:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how pup would fair on fortalices. You could engage and turn your back. Will your automaton keep attacking then? Not sure how quick they would kill it though. I'm not a PUP.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2012-02-22 12:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

no i expect regen atma to protect me from ep aggro.

and yes i am new to pup. mainly got it to 99 for completion factor, but i think it would be fun to try out and as a low skill pup i can imagine i would be able to experiance the full potential of pup. so im gearing it slowly and will work on stringing pummel. once i have it skilled decently id like to take it out for a spin and see what it can do.

so if i can afk at night and go to sleep and have it skill up a little then im happy :) i have too much other stuff to complete right now to concentrate on skilling up in a different manner
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2012-02-22 12:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pukushu said: »
no i expect regen atma to protect me from ep aggro.

and yes i am new to pup. mainly got it to 99 for completion factor, but i think it would be fun to try out and as a low skill pup i can imagine i would be able to experiance the full potential of pup. so im gearing it slowly and will work on stringing pummel. once i have it skilled decently id like to take it out for a spin and see what it can do.

so if i can afk at night and go to sleep and have it skill up a little then im happy :) i have too much other stuff to complete right now to concentrate on skilling up in a different manner

There's really no way to afk skill puppets effectively with the exception of that stupid trick for leveling the mage puppets skill (which personally I think is far slower than just soloing) You are better off just putting some work into it and starting on low level mobs and working your way up. Skilling up puppets after burning Puppetmaster in Abyssea is a looooong road. There are a couple guys in my shell who only burned the last 20 or so levels and are still having a hard time catching their skills levels back up.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2012-02-22 13:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

what is the magic skill up trick? i may use fortalice for melee and ranged skill.

and thanks for info on automation attacking agro :)

also i understand it is a long road. im not in a hurry to have it skilled. i have a lot of other things that i am working on with my actual play time. this is to get a few skill ups while afk over night and such. if it takes 2+ months, im ok with that.
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-22 13:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with working on the Melee and Ranged frames is they like to WS which can do a lot of damage or hardly any, which will make the target mob/skill up doll die faster, giving you no real chance to AFK, you always have to keep an eye on them as well if you are using the Percolator attachment, which will always need a Water Maneuver in order to work.

Conclusion, no AFK skilling for you unless Fortifications actually works
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2012-02-22 13:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Grimkitty said: »
The problem with working on the Melee and Ranged frames is they like to WS which can do a lot of damage or hardly any, which will make the target mob/skill up doll die faster, giving you no real chance to AFK, you always have to keep an eye on them as well if you are using the Percolator attachment, which will always need a Water Maneuver in order to work.

Conclusion, no AFK skilling for you unless Fortifications actually works

You can eliminate the puppet using WS's by equipping the Inhibitor and getting your own TP up to 100% first and not using it. That way the puppet wont use his TP (unless you are in a party).
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [453 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Aikchan
Server: Asura
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2013-05-20 09:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro Bumping!

Instead making a new thread just to say this.

Well with alternator, found an easy way to skillup Archery Skills.

Sadly "need" a mule RDM. First 150 skills. worms in Kuftal Tunnel, Gravity II, Silence the worm and Enjoy... even using Drum Magazine, Acc was over 80% @ 30 skills

Then moved to the worms in Zeruhn Mines till 200sh, then Gusgen Mines till 320sh, and last zone Abyssea or gustav tunnels worms.

Probably after 200sh dont need to Gravity II(-40 eva) the worms.

The only Issues with alternator is, Automaton RA´s normal hits starts @ 150 damage with 30sh skills, now @270 skills, on gusgen worms, are hitting for 400sh, and Armor Piercer hitting for 2k+ (till decide to get tp to stop ws -_-)
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2013-05-20 09:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

if you sub sch, you can sleep the worms while they are casting to interrupt their spells. go go alacrity!
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-05-20 09:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use that method to get to 320ish easy enough but there's a better way to hit cap for new bandwagon pups:

Equip Ducal Guard/Mounted Champion/Vicissitude, or some combination of DG + 2xRegen/absorb atmas.Find either an Ironclad (except maybe Triturator) or a chariot. Put your pet on it and hit cap. I like doing this in Altepa with the IC and 2xChariots in the area.

Works for Valoredge and yes, Sharpshot.
By Balias 2013-05-20 09:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aikchan said: »
Necro Bumping!

Sadly "need" a mule RDM. First 150 skills. worms in Kuftal Tunnel, Gravity II, Silence the worm and Enjoy... even using Drum Magazine, Acc was over 80% @ 30 skills

Then moved to the worms in Zeruhn Mines till 200sh, then Gusgen Mines till 320sh, and last zone Abyssea or gustav tunnels worms.

The only Issues with alternator is, Automaton RA´s normal hits starts @ 150 damage with 30sh skills, now @270 skills, on gusgen worms, are hitting for 400sh, and Armor Piercer hitting for 2k+ (till decide to get tp to stop ws -_-)

Good luck getting an invite to obtain the alternator if you don't have the right job people are looking for.
 Asura.Aikchan
Server: Asura
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2013-05-20 09:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Balias said: »
Asura.Aikchan said: »
Necro Bumping!

Good luck getting an invite to obtain the alternator if you don't have the right job people are looking for.

Sucks to be you? lol...
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-05-20 10:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I had 380 skill when I started with alternator, was able to hit things with basically 95% accuracy with Drum Magazine. I dumped on Regen Atma and took things down in Aby Tahrongi - Chukwa and the Dragon.

Then I just went in Delve. Capped damn fast.
 Bismarck.Greezy
user: Greezy
By Bismarck.Greezy 2013-05-20 10:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Flameblade said: »
Im currently trying to skill up both of these in abyssea using the following atmas: Mounted Champion (Regen), Apocalypse (Triple Attack) and Cloak and Dagger (Accuracy and Evasion). Im killing mandies in Abyssea - Tahrongi, im wondering if there are any better places to skill up, better atmas to use, and specific things I should do to skill up faster? Im also hunting the AH for a percolator for faster skillups. Any tips will be greatly appreciated ^^

take advantage of martial master with supo kuper sowers and goto boyhada tree with the high level mobs, use barrage and wind maneuvers and equip /ra accy and eva attachements
[+]
 Bismarck.Greezy
user: Greezy
By Bismarck.Greezy 2013-05-20 10:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

also if you do the occas grants extra wind maneuver, thunder, wind you can skill both quickly
[+]
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-07 06:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Gee thanks , i was solo-ing VT++ in Adoulin ^^;
By Lariae 2013-06-07 09:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Even faster way to skill magic auto is to go to gusgen and just send the whm auto onto a worm.. Itll keep it silenced and just spam debuffs on it.. I was able to afk this overnight.

As far as Melee/ranged puppet using WS, you can prevent that using the fire attachment.. forgot its name but it has store TP and it makes your puppet hold its TP as long as you're above 100.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-07 10:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lariae said: »
Even faster way to skill magic auto is to go to gusgen and just send the whm auto onto a worm.. Itll keep it silenced and just spam debuffs on it.. I was able to afk this overnight.

As far as Melee/ranged puppet using WS, you can prevent that using the fire attachment.. forgot its name but it has store TP and it makes your puppet hold its TP as long as you're above 100.
VERY Helpful and name is Inhibitor

but how u keep the "Automaton" from running out of MP ?
By Lariae 2013-06-07 11:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm.. its just a matter of figuring out how to keep dark maneuvar up overnight.. if you know what i mean o.o
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-07 18:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in the day, I used The Afflictor to level magic, and Diabolos Prime to level ranged, but sadly neither of those work anymore.
First Page 2