[BST] Is There A Point?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » [BST] Is there a point?
[BST] Is there a point?
 Fenrir.Lillaly
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-08-02 08:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So, with abyssea so rampant is there a point in trying to solo 75-90? if so, where did you do it, how did you do it, what did you charm, ect.?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-02 08:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Was there ever a point? I burned my bst from 20 to 75 in exp parties DDing it up in the old days when I got my Maat's cap. If you find solo fun then go for it. You could solo faster with a jug pet inside abyssea w/atma than outside charming.
 Fenrir.Fearforever
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-08-02 08:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I leveled my BST solo to 50 in the "old days" (2006-2008) then got fedup and joined normal PTs as a DD.

It doesnt matter if you Solo or PT it up as long as you know the basics of the job.

Also in a Abyssea PT at Lv76 a Rabit (LuckyLash or something) with RR VV Apoc was tanking monsters and knocking out 800 - 1.5k Foot Kicks with 200-400 normal hits so it isnt weak + add your damage onto that and a PT should take you.
By Cathaldus 2011-08-02 08:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally if you can get a party, which isn't to hard now thanks to Abyssea, I'd do it that way.

Solo levelling just isn't worth it.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-02 08:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Solo leveling was never worth it unless you really didn't have the time, just preference really.
By Cerbpunky 2011-08-02 09:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember when BSTS were proud to have soloed to 75. I was amazed by getting leave at 35 and thinking how much easier it was to solo after. Loved the bombs in garlaige in the 50s giving 4-500 xp when that was alot. People now get 300 xp every 3 seconds and moan why didnt u call for help Mikey. How spoilt have we become?

I soloed 0-75 (except for 1 dunes party) all without jugs just charming/ taming mobs. Then I sold my soul to abyssea after I saw few charmable mobs around and really powerful jugs. Kinda wished I had tried to solo 75-90

Lil hope you do 75-90 solo and if you do right some guide on it. BST should be about solo. It's what they best at.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Maasahn
Server: Lakshmi
user: maasahn
By Lakshmi.Maasahn 2011-08-02 09:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

BST was my favorite job to lvl. it currently sits at lvl 83 b/c i hate playing it in abyssea. i really enjoyed the solo play to it, and if i ever find solo camps for it again the i will solo it to 99 with pleasure.
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
Server: Cerberus
user: Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2011-08-02 09:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When i dont have a lot of time, I will go into abyssea and solo on bst dominion ops for merits or Chest farming. Very easy XP solo. Can get 75k+ xp/hr solo on bst at 90 pretty easily. I am sure you could solo in abyssea at a decent rate with the right atmas at 76+.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-08-02 09:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I soloed BST to 75 just after the update where pets wouldn't leech exp from you. Back then it was worthy accomplishment and I felt pride for accepting the challenge. Today exp has no value. Leveling up takes no skill at all. Unless you want to pretend you are back in the days of yore, just burn it in Abyssea like everyone else.
 Fairy.Trig
Server: Fairy
user: Trig
By Fairy.Trig 2011-08-02 09:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I solo'd (or low-manned) BST 1-75 and THF/BST 60-75 back in the day and had an absolute blast. You could do 76-90 solo if you didnt mind the time input but you would likely have to flesh out new camps as most people just aby to 90... are there higher level guides for solo 76+? I never looked... BST was my first 90 after the level increases, which I did in aby like most others.

The biggest advantage I see to soloing BST (or /bst) is that you really learn where the hate line is. That in turn makes you more aware of hate control in party situations. You can definitely learn hate mechanics in a group, however the lesson is faster/harsher solo since you wont have others compensating for mistakes of ignorance. You tend to shape up fast if you have to RR every 5 min.

SE seems to be moving bst away from soloing days of the past with decent jug pets, however I doubt they will ever totally eliminate the solo capability of bst using charmed mobs.
 Bismarck.Xdudemanx
Server: Bismarck
user: xdudemanx
By Bismarck.Xdudemanx 2011-08-02 09:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

so i asked a bst a few weeks ago...hows ur charm set?/reward set? him: charm set? -.-i still have my charm gear. i solo'd most of my lvls as bst from 1-75...eventually i ran into other bsts solo'n and teamed up with them
 Phoenix.Afrikabdotta
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Afrikabdotta 2011-08-02 10:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you say Skyy? I loved soloing there before and after the cap went pass 75. I still enjoy going out and soloing on my BST because I'm a solo artist! It's good to farm with having my ladybug around to give a bit of treasure hunter.

Also, I loved having RR but a scroll of instant warp is a good friend of mine I used often.
 Fenrir.Lillaly
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-08-02 10:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Trig said:
I solo'd (or low-manned) BST 1-75 and THF/BST 60-75 back in the day and had an absolute blast. You could do 76-90 solo if you didnt mind the time input but you would likely have to flesh out new camps as most people just aby to 90... are there higher level guides for solo 76+? I never looked... BST was my first 90 after the level increases, which I did in aby like most others. The biggest advantage I see to soloing BST (or /bst) is that you really learn where the hate line is. That in turn makes you more aware of hate control in party situations. You can definitely learn hate mechanics in a group, however the lesson is faster/harsher solo since you wont have others compensating for mistakes of ignorance. You tend to shape up fast if you have to RR every 5 min. SE seems to be moving bst away from soloing days of the past with decent jug pets, however I doubt they will ever totally eliminate the solo capability of bst using charmed mobs.

Till they put in a slime jug pet i dont think all charmed mobs are useless XD
 Lakshmi.Orison
user: Byte
By Lakshmi.Orison 2011-08-03 07:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Does there have to be a point? Some of us play for fun!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-08-03 08:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd probably get more EXP soloing campaign battles than normal mobs honestly, if you really feel that you must solo 75 > 90 for some odd reasons having to do with pride or something then go for it, but you really aren't helping yourself by much. BST isn't the hardest job to solo on, and if you know the basics of the game itself than you should never have any trouble knowing how to play it.
 Fenrir.Lillaly
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-08-03 11:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerbpunky said:
I remember when BSTS were proud to have soloed to 75. I was amazed by getting leave at 35 and thinking how much easier it was to solo after. Loved the bombs in garlaige in the 50s giving 4-500 xp when that was alot. People now get 300 xp every 3 seconds and moan why didnt u call for help Mikey. How spoilt have we become? I soloed 0-75 (except for 1 dunes party) all without jugs just charming/ taming mobs. Then I sold my soul to abyssea after I saw few charmable mobs around and really powerful jugs. Kinda wished I had tried to solo 75-90 Lil hope you do 75-90 solo and if you do right some guide on it. BST should be about solo. It's what they best at.
I Sold my soul too. Honestly, there was no reason not to.
 Phoenix.Afrikabdotta
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Afrikabdotta 2011-08-04 08:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I've also been doing GoV pages and you might have a great time there charming high lvl pets and getting them to beat the crap out of stuff. You could earn book page exp and get some good exp at the same time from killing mobs. Make sure you have good charm gear though.
 Fairy.Trig
Server: Fairy
user: Trig
By Fairy.Trig 2011-08-04 09:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

There will always be a use for a charm set if you play bst even if you level to cap solely with jug pets. You will inevitably be soloing/low-manning something outside of abyssea. Not having one restricts you from a whole aspect of jobs gameplay.