And it's not very good at it inside abyssea, so it's fairly useless

Don't forget to proc the red!
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-06-29 13:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM just doesn't have any place in abyssea. A masamune sam will be subpar to a gimp nin/mnk/war.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-29 13:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Aerison said:
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
I can't even tell if dr. Nick is trolling cuz that was too damn funny lol... no seriously I made my point on the "proc" topic a few times already... And I don't like to beat dead horses.. Sam can still do good dmg, and it can proc (quite a few) red + blue. And Dirty... how is 2x empy mnk + whm covering "the rest" of procs...? Where is katana, scythe, GA, Gsword? (not saying sam can cover but.....oh screw it nevermind lol... at this point its irrelvant..)
Obvious blunt pop is obvious, I doubt he would pop it during slashing or piercing when he has 2 mnks and a whm. Don't be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE mentally challenged.

His point is you can't pop it without the key item *waits for it to sink in*

Edit: Just so you know I did not back-read at all. I'm just going off 2 MNK + 1 WHM and I have no idea what the other jobs are having red procs.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-29 13:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Cerberus.Oseryu said:
Since when did sam become a completely useless DD? I'm lost

Since everyone wanted to dictate how other people enjoy their game.

Pfft, as if the SAMs who are complaining now weren't doing that when lolibri were the main target.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-29 13:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, you were talking strictly BLUE? See, ya failed to mention that as red is WS based as well... just a simple misunderstanding...
By Aerison 2011-06-29 13:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Bismarck.Aerison said:
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
I can't even tell if dr. Nick is trolling cuz that was too damn funny lol... no seriously I made my point on the "proc" topic a few times already... And I don't like to beat dead horses.. Sam can still do good dmg, and it can proc (quite a few) red + blue. And Dirty... how is 2x empy mnk + whm covering "the rest" of procs...? Where is katana, scythe, GA, Gsword? (not saying sam can cover but.....oh screw it nevermind lol... at this point its irrelvant..)
Obvious blunt pop is obvious, I doubt he would pop it during slashing or piercing when he has 2 mnks and a whm. Don't be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE mentally challenged.

We're talking about blue proc *waits for it to sink in*
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-29 13:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial said:
For the record, PLD can actually do all the red procs WAR can except for scythe. :P

But yeah, burning down lots of mobs at once with Aeolian Edge would be a good idea. Just gotta get him Regen atmas and he can easily do that solo. Sea Daughter (from Grauberg boss) is awesome during daytime (especially since it also gives 5 TP/tick Regain) with the 30 HP/tick. Mounted Champion is awesome too. After that there's several that are basically equivalent; any of them could be used (Vicissitude, Stronghold, Impenetrable).

PLD gets cataclysm, I think that would be better than aeolian edge.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial said:
For the record, PLD can actually do all the red procs WAR can except for scythe. :P

But yeah, burning down lots of mobs at once with Aeolian Edge would be a good idea. Just gotta get him Regen atmas and he can easily do that solo. Sea Daughter (from Grauberg boss) is awesome during daytime (especially since it also gives 5 TP/tick Regain) with the 30 HP/tick. Mounted Champion is awesome too. After that there's several that are basically equivalent; any of them could be used (Vicissitude, Stronghold, Impenetrable).

PLD gets cataclysm, I think that would be better than aeolian edge.

you can equip a dagger and have a shield offhand
with staff you cant :3
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-29 13:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

And to call me the "r" word, when the debate of red vs blue proc wasn't even mentioned...seriously? Wow.. I thought Dirty was talking about in general, for red AND blue, not just blue.... But to insult me for a simple misunderstanding? Wow folks... new level of low... Peace out, clearly this topic isn't really gonna give any pertinent information anyways... I tried to defend a job, and look how that ended up...
[+]
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-29 13:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said:
Bismarck.Aerison said:
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
We're talking about blue proc *waits for it to sink in*

You're talking about blue, he's talking about both.
 Bismarck.Aerison
Server: Bismarck
user: Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2011-06-29 13:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Oh, you were talking strictly BLUE? See, ya failed to mention that as red is WS based as well... just a simple misunderstanding...

And how many red staggers does sam get?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said:
SAM just doesn't have any place in abyssea. A masamune sam will be subpar to a gimp nin/mnk/war.

dear god if i could -1 you i would
[+]
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-29 13:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Aerison said:
Ifrit.Eikechi said:

You read as much or less than I did if this isn't rhetorical.
 Bismarck.Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2011-06-29 13:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
And to call me the "r" word, when the debate of red vs blue proc wasn't even mentioned...seriously? Wow.. I thought Dirty was talking about in general, for red AND blue, not just blue.... But to insult me for a simple misunderstanding? Wow folks... new level of low... Peace out, clearly this topic isn't really gonna give any pertinent information anyways... I tried to defend a job, and look how that ended up...

If you haven't learned by now that all pertinent information is given in the first few posts *and that most everyone else is trolling* then the "r" word stands correct.

edit*
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-06-29 13:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
Phoenix.Dramatica said:

Fine, sam has a place in abyssea for those rare times you need someone to job change and gekko/kasha something for blue. Happy?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
Phoenix.Dramatica said:

Fine, sam has a place in abyssea for those rare times you need someone to job change and gekko/kasha something for blue. Happy?

samurai is like any other job in the game, if you put time into it to MAKE it good, then it CAN be good. Hell I've duo'd orthrus with a fudo sam with MUCH more ease than i ever have with a mnk or nin. Subpar to a gimp mnk war or nin? gtfo seriously
[+]
 Bismarck.Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2011-06-29 13:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Aerison said:
Ifrit.Eikechi said:

You read as much or less than I did if this isn't rhetorical.

Hard to convey sarcasm and rhetorical statements online, although that one was kind of obvious.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-06-29 13:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, absolutely nothing is going to make sam better than a good crit ws job in abyssea. I love sam and use my masamune a lot outside, but it has no place inside.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-06-29 13:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

People so insecure that the only option has to be the best option, might as well change their avatar to their micropenis.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah it may not have a critical weaponskill, but using the right atmas, actually having your PDT and MDT gear sets, and knowing what the hell your doing ACTUALLY makes it into a decent job

it has a few shortcomings too, but it has the tools that are needed to actually tank and deal damage

might not be as good as a monk due to HP, well merit your hp, still not enough? get your hp abyssites? still bad? then your obviously doing it wrong

nin has a good amount of red procs, and with +2 can get even more shadows then ever, sam can hit a few red procs and can still use seigan + utsu if /nin

personally, it sounds to me like you just dont like sam in general, and not contributing much to the thread
 Fenrir.Captaincrunch
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Captaincrunch 2011-06-29 13:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
Phoenix.Dramatica said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
Phoenix.Dramatica said:

samurai is like any other job in the game, if you put time into it to MAKE it good, then it CAN be good. Hell I've duo'd orthrus with a fudo sam with MUCH more ease than i ever have with a mnk or nin. Subpar to a gimp mnk war or nin? gtfo seriously

Sam is subpar to mnk or nin. If you had an easier time with sam tanking any mob over mnk in abyssea then you have some friends that suck at mnk.

Whether you want to admit this or not doesn't really matter, the job lost its place when abyssea came out, other jobs completely demolish it damage wise and are far better tanks.

Sorry
[+]
 Fenrir.Captaincrunch
By Fenrir.Captaincrunch 2011-06-29 13:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you really just say that SAM isn't as good as MNK because it doesn't have as much hp?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
People so insecure that the only option has to be the best option, might as well change their avatar to their micropenis.

pretty much this, all in this thread
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-29 13:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
nin has a good amount of red procs, and with +2 can get even more shadows then ever, sam can hit a few red procs and can still use seigan + utsu if /nin

What is the sam using to keep hate?
[+]
 Fenrir.Captaincrunch
By Fenrir.Captaincrunch 2011-06-29 13:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How can I even argue with such knowledge.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Captaincrunch said:
Did you really just say that SAM isn't as good as MNK because it doesn't have as much hp?

listing all the "reasons" between tanking and DDing on why mnk is preferred over sam

HP is a reason more or less
 Fenrir.Captaincrunch
By Fenrir.Captaincrunch 2011-06-29 13:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-06-29 13:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

What is the sam using to keep hate?

talking about fudo sam, when duoing with my whm i never really seem to have hate issues (speaking about orthrus)
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-29 13:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said:
Idk about all this. In fact, I'd have to call this trolling. I've seen some "gimp nin/mnk/war" that couldn't even hit the mob with WS's only, using sea daughter atma. However, I would like to acknowledge that a Sam's role in abbysea has about as much of a place as Rdm or PLd, sadly.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-29 13:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanking isn't really the same as duo'ing. I was assuming you were talking about a small group, but more than 2, where the sam would actually have to be keeping hate off the people stomping his damage.
[+]